'I'm a Raven'

'I'm a Raven'

There are 64 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Feb 19, 2008, titled 'I'm a Raven'. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

But last night, Ravens Pro Bowl outside linebacker Terrell Suggs said he would harbor no hard feelings if the Ravens put the tag on him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ravens_Flock

United States

#1 Feb 19, 2008
Well...I think you'll eventually get your deal Suggs. As soon as we have some dead weight off our cap space, such as McNair and Ogden's contracts, then we should have the money you want. But you'd better be worth it, and you'd better not act like a b*tch and hold out on camp...not if you actually care about the team and it's fans.

There's business...and then there's football. Personally, I think some players have their priorities seriously messed up.
Richard g

United States

#2 Feb 19, 2008
Actually the francise tag takes up much more cap room. A bonus would be prorated over the length of the contract.
The Curse

Grand Rapids, MI

#3 Feb 19, 2008
All fine except the "holdout" tease. Inexcusable and disloyal to make these comments, then hold out of camp, practice, etc, T-Sizzle. Either you are a team player or you are not. Get to practice, so you can work on keeping your head up & not getting juked when you are closing in.
Rich

United States

#4 Feb 19, 2008
If Terrell wants to be a Raven that's good enough for me.
Randy

New Baltimore, MI

#5 Feb 19, 2008
$8M for one year and he's thinking about holding out of training camp? How can that be in the best interest of the team? He needs to talk to Ray and Ed about it? About what?

On the front page of the Sun there is an article about people who commute to Delaware, some as much as two hours one way for $28.00 an hour.

How can anyone relate to these athletes today? This is why there are a lot of player haters. I don't resent the money they receive but it's the attitude they possess that alienates many fans.
Snow Bound

Evanston, WY

#6 Feb 19, 2008
Randy wrote:
$8M for one year and he's thinking about holding out of training camp? How can that be in the best interest of the team? He needs to talk to Ray and Ed about it? About what?
On the front page of the Sun there is an article about people who commute to Delaware, some as much as two hours one way for $28.00 an hour.
How can anyone relate to these athletes today? This is why there are a lot of player haters. I don't resent the money they receive but it's the attitude they possess that alienates many fans.
Amen to that!
Skinsfan

Bethpage, NY

#7 Feb 19, 2008
At this point, I don't know," Suggs said. " Before I make a decision, I'll talk to a lot of people. I'll confide in Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, see what they think I should do, and what is best for everybody."

That quote, says it all. It's proof-positive that the inmates are running the asylum.
SevernDave

Fort George G Meade, MD

#8 Feb 19, 2008
Randy and Skinsfan said it all. How can the doofus Suggs say on one hand that he's fine with being franchised, and then on the other hand say that he's considering holding out? He's a spoiled rotten, self-centered, egomaniac just like all of 'em. Hey Terrell, "..what is best for everybody" is NOT something that you have to THINK about or talk to Lewis and Reed about. What's best for EVERYBODY is for EVERYBODY to show up at the camps to work and play TOGETHER!! But it just looks more and more like Adalius Thomas' comments were right on the money. The RAVENS defense is about individual stars, not the team!
UM Law Firm of Lewis Reed

Washington, DC

#9 Feb 19, 2008
Nice to see Tsizzle knows who's in charge of the team. I've pretty much respected him since he's been here and have no reason to believe he won't be in training camp, especially with a new coaching staff in place which would not look upon this as a positive first step. Decent article (must be sweeps month Preston) that shows Suggs wants to stay and play for the Purple team. 8M$ a year is not a bad "label" to have stuck on you, play hard and get your "Freeny money"
Andrew

United States

#10 Feb 19, 2008
This team sucks because there are too many players trying to get max contracts. They should look to Aikman, Brady, and even Moss. They all accepted more reasonable contracts so that their teams would have the money to make their "TEAM" better. Some guys actually care more about winning than money. Weird.
HeWhoCannotBeNam ed

Döberitz, Germany

#11 Feb 19, 2008
The fact he doesnt cause a stir like McAllister or Ray have at times says a bunch, particularly because he 'consults' with those vets. Sounds like he's pretty even-keeled about this. He deserves a fair shake even more.
WillCD

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Feb 19, 2008
Cut the man a break. I think he has handled himself well of late.
Hmmmm

Waldorf, MD

#13 Feb 19, 2008
The young man has really matured.
Jimmy D

Detroit, MI

#14 Feb 19, 2008
I would be shocked if one person on this forum would do anything differently than Suggs if you were in his shoes. The NFL is a business, first and foremost. Sure, he gets 8 million if franchised, but lets say he suffers a career ending injury this season. That is it for him. As a player with a finite career, you are going to want to get paid as much as possible for as long as possible.

I dont know why we as adults demand this fairy tale attitude from professional athetes. They can do things with their minds and bodies that we cannot. The talents they have make a lot of people a lot of money. The athletes do and should protect themselves financially before worrying about making Steve Biscotti millions of dollars and before worrying about making some fans happy with what the individual athlete has done for them lately.

If your job came to you and said "we want you to take a paycut so that the business can do better for the next year" I imagine we would all tell them to shove off. Why should that be any different for athletes?
Cold_Weather_Foo tball

Springfield, VA

#15 Feb 19, 2008
Suggs has shown maturity about the franchise deal, but he must be smart to understand there are overpaid, overrated individuals that wear the same uniform he does. He must do his best to perform well this year, as I think the 'slackers' will be shown the door between now and minicamp, or by season's end. Patience is a virtue, and hard work is always rewarded. Suggs need not be worried; he has one-team career potential.
shart

Baltimore, MD

#16 Feb 19, 2008
I'm sorry but Suggs is no where near as good as Freeny, not to mention he sucked last year.
tim

Miami, FL

#17 Feb 19, 2008
I absolutely love the Ravens !! I agree that our attitude isn't always the best at times . However we all need to remember that this is the same attitude that has won us a championship !! As an ex - athlete I think that a team needs to have a presence or attitude to be successful. Its just that when your loosing it gets magnified and looks bad at times . I don't agree with celebrating a tackle when your getting blown out , but how good would it feel for one of our qb's to grab a lineman or a receiver by the face mask and let them have it every now and then ?? If our O had some attitude we'd be competing for some super bowls !
jeremiah

Baltimore, MD

#19 Feb 19, 2008
Sure he wants Freeney money, but he is not going to get it for a while, but I think he is right about being as valuable a player with more versatility. He could put up double digit sacks every year as a pass rusher only even if he is double teamed, but as an all around defender he allows Rex to scheme up all kinds of blitz packages that keep even Brady and Manning guessing and throwing into coverage.

I think he is more replacable than some positions, but is definitly worth franchise tag type money. His best move would be to sign a 4 year deal with @25 mil gauranteed, or else I think he could be tagged 3 years in a row.
jeremiah

Baltimore, MD

#20 Feb 19, 2008
Jimmy D wrote:
I would be shocked if one person on this forum would do anything differently than Suggs if you were in his shoes. The NFL is a business, first and foremost. Sure, he gets 8 million if franchised, but lets say he suffers a career ending injury this season. That is it for him. As a player with a finite career, you are going to want to get paid as much as possible for as long as possible.
I dont know why we as adults demand this fairy tale attitude from professional athetes. They can do things with their minds and bodies that we cannot. The talents they have make a lot of people a lot of money. The athletes do and should protect themselves financially before worrying about making Steve Biscotti millions of dollars and before worrying about making some fans happy with what the individual athlete has done for them lately.
If your job came to you and said "we want you to take a paycut so that the business can do better for the next year" I imagine we would all tell them to shove off. Why should that be any different for athletes?
Why is it so hard for people to look at the situation from the players perspective. I guess they just can't think outside of the mentality of poverty. They are so used to just taking what they can get and shutting the hell up, and don't want to see anyone else do otherwise I suppose.
jeremiah

Baltimore, MD

#21 Feb 19, 2008
shart wrote:
I'm sorry but Suggs is no where near as good as Freeny, not to mention he sucked last year.
Freeney also only had 5 sacks the year before he got paid, and then he was hurt all year. He may never be the same again, but I bet he is glad he got his contract when he did.

Suggs does do a lot more than rush the passer, and would get more money than Freeney on the open market.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ed Reed Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New England Patriots: Ed Reed A Possibility at ... (Nov '13) Jul '14 Flatulence Fred 29
News NFL: Houston Texans cut Ed Reed, put Arian Fost... (Nov '13) Apr '14 This is Jeopardy 4
News 2014 NFL Draft: Should New York Jets Draft a CB... (Apr '14) Apr '14 1969 Super Bowl 5
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Predicting Every NFL Team's Record in 2013-14 (Feb '13) Aug '13 Realistic 14
News My thoughts and an overview of every Houston Te... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Buck 1
More from around the web