Pride, loyalty sustain defense

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Regardless of the score, injuries or the embarrassment endured by the Ravens the past two weeks, the team's defense continues to play hard.
Comments
41 - 47 of 47 Comments Last updated Nov 18, 2007
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
brien

Rockville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2007

Rex for head coach

“Steelers vs. Ditka? Steelers.”

Since: Aug 07

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2007

Ravens fans, getting rid of Billick will not make the team any better. Just ask fans whose teams were revolving doors for coaches; Cleveland, Oakland, and Minnesota. Ask them if getting rid of the head coach makes them instantly better.

I'm not saying Billick should not go, but getting rid of him won't solve all the problems this team has.

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2007

Steagle wrote:
Ravens fans, getting rid of Billick will not make the team any better. Just ask fans whose teams were revolving doors for coaches; Cleveland, Oakland, and Minnesota. Ask them if getting rid of the head coach makes them instantly better.
I'm not saying Billick should not go, but getting rid of him won't solve all the problems this team has.
It all depends upon:

1. The nature of the problem(s)

2. Who the replacement is.
cesar

Upper Marlboro, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2007

Are you actually watching this defense play this year or are you just accepting the spin that they are chest beating has beens?

And oh by the way the team has got a youth movement going on.
itssteeven wrote:
You are kidding Right??.....all i see i our "D" Line is plugging the holes as good as anyone....but i don't see Kelly or Haloti banging their chests or taunting the other team when we are down by 2-3-4 scores....like the linebackers or db's.......hey! save the energy! WIN THE GAME!....go to work......quit making yourselves look like children, stupid ones at that........you are living in the past glories of last year....soon Ray goes-i don't see us re-signing the underachiever Suggs-C-Mac is going too.......we need a youth movement and a hew coach,Stevie "B" DON'T you spend a dime of your money extending thses players contracts! we need a new direction now!......start CUTTING these guys at the end of the year......Offer a coaching position to J.O. and Ray.....get Drew Olsen back(cheap) and move on......Defense......most of you will get cut for Xmas......good luck taking your attitude elsewhere.........i still love ya all......you have performed well since you have been here(except for this year)but you gotta go.....
cesar

Upper Marlboro, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2007

The defense is:

1. The best D in the league (#1 Aikman ratings).

2. not old.

AND Ray Lewis is:

3. not washed up or playing like he is old.

Stop repeating the coventional wisdom and research on your own (Go to the Ravens web site see for yourself). The D is not old. And even if you think the starting D's average age of 28 is old there is no sign of drop off as they are still the top D in the league.

The fact that Ray Lewis has won D-MVP in two different systems, the 4-3 and 3-4 is incredible. But last year they were the top D in yet another system, the 46 scheme or whatever the hell Rex Ryan designs, and all the LBs were all-stars. And he's(Ray)is having a significant impact on a defense this year that is #1 and has played without its best lineman and 2 corners plus plays opposite this horrible offense. So the generalizations that the team is old and/or declining is a myth.

Skay, the Patriots chest bump too. And they also dance on the opposing teams logos after they win. And they run up the score on people. And this just in: they cheat.
HeWhoCannotBeNam ed

Berlin, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2007

Eric wrote:
I'm not going to lie, Preston's articles are usually more depressing than Requiem for a Dream. But this article is excellent and and actually gives some hope to a dismal season
'REQUIEM FOR A DREAM'!!!??? Whew. I cant honestly not think of a sadder flick than that one. Strong stuff. One view is enough. I can read Preston. The point about the D playing so well for Ryan they may follow him out the door is really, really good. It basically says that by keeping Billick this town will lose most everything that has made up this team's identity ... except him. Who has capitalized on the D from day one.
HeWhoCannotBeNam ed

Berlin, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2007

Canning Billick aint merely a consequence of his own frustrating role at this point. And its more than a stopgap measure or panic reaction.'We' will simply pay too much on too many fronts to keep him. Canning him may exactly be what it takes to preserve positive stability everywhere BUT the offensive output . Imagine this team MINUS a serious defense. What a waste it would be ! I cant see Billick hanging on thru season after season with lesser D, and I dont believe in better O with him here. Its done ! Cut the losses, keep Ryan and the D. Ryan is pivotable and at this point more important than Billick.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ed Reed Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New England Patriots: Ed Reed A Possibility at ... (Nov '13) Jul 31 Flatulence Fred 29
NFL: Houston Texans cut Ed Reed, put Arian Fost... (Nov '13) Apr '14 This is Jeopardy 4
2014 NFL Draft: Should New York Jets Draft a CB... Apr '14 1969 Super Bowl 5
Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
Predicting Every NFL Team's Record in 2013-14 (Feb '13) Aug '13 Realistic 14
My thoughts and an overview of every Houston Te... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Buck 1

Search the Ed Reed Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••