Pride, loyalty sustain defense

Pride, loyalty sustain defense

There are 47 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Nov 16, 2007, titled Pride, loyalty sustain defense. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Regardless of the score, injuries or the embarrassment endured by the Ravens the past two weeks, the team's defense continues to play hard.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Cornell

Baltimore, MD

#1 Nov 16, 2007
What i say - YOU aint Never Lied....
It's Scary to think what we would be facing if Rex had moved on this year ! Maybe a godesnd maybe a curse. But as you can probably guess I was never a Billick Fan even during the Marvin Lewis era. I appreciate the effort he has displayed only to be negated be the spin doctoring he uses to hide the lack of identity his playbook covets. The truth is maybe we will in the next two games whether we have a salvagable season. If not someone other then Billick needs to accept play calling responsibilties and prepare to enlist someone willing and able to clean-up this mess. I admire the defensive player's, even when they get the stupids, I think thats used as a distraction from their utter disappointment. A Shottenheimer/Ryan duo would be more tasteful !!!
Jim Straus

Port Richey, FL

#2 Nov 16, 2007
What is it about the defense you like?

Was it the 5 TD passes allowed against the Steelers?
The 4th quarter melt-downs against terrible football teams?
Or maybe its making unknown QB's and rookies look like the 2nd coming of Johnny U?
How about our sure tackling (Reed being more interested in leveling a receiver than covering his man)?
Lastly, maybe its our lack of discipline ( bad Penalties)?

Mike, our line is above average, linebacking is good and our secondary is terrible. Its not the injuries, we haven't been able to cover good receivers for two years now.

But honestly, with our offense..........
Eric

Pasadena, MD

#3 Nov 16, 2007
I'm not going to lie, Preston's articles are usually more depressing than Requiem for a Dream. But this article is excellent and and actually gives some hope to a dismal season
Steve

Warrenville, IL

#4 Nov 16, 2007
"Billick came here as an offensive-minded coach, yet we haven't seen that magic in his nine years in Baltimore."

You have to admit, under Billick the Raven's offense has been, well.....offensive. In fact I have been extremely offended the past two weeks. In today's litigious politically correct society, you would think I could sue someone offended as I am. I mean there are laws against offending people right?
frox

Lititz, PA

#5 Nov 16, 2007
Nice column Mike. I have been saying this for weeks. If you watch Ravens Wired on MASN you can see Ray trying to inspire this team. And he is not just doing it for the mike as you can hear him even when he is not miked up. People can say what they want about him, but the guy gives everything he has every Sunday and, in the end, that is all that matters to me. I also think the Ravens would be wise to act quickly this offseason to make Ryan the head coach. The Bears defense was the same way with his father and when he left after the Super Bowl, they were never the same.
Patrick

UK

#6 Nov 16, 2007
I'll tell you what will really save Compu Coach's job:

1. Burn the offencive playbook.

2. Burn it again ( just to make sure it does not pull a Michael Myers and keep coming back in other forms).

3. Hire a new offencive coordinator- like you say Mike, not a "yes man."

4. Send the entire offence and one Coach, Compu to 1984 style reprogramming. 2+2=5, love big brother, a two yard pass on 3rd and 8 does not equate to a first down. 7 is more then 3, run the ball when you need one yard, bench a struggling QB earlier in the game.

Am I missing anything?
Bacon

Sterling, VA

#7 Nov 16, 2007
Cornell wrote:
What i say - YOU aint Never Lied....
It's Scary to think what we would be facing if Rex had moved on this year ! Maybe a godesnd maybe a curse. But as you can probably guess I was never a Billick Fan even during the Marvin Lewis era. I appreciate the effort he has displayed only to be negated be the spin doctoring he uses to hide the lack of identity his playbook covets. The truth is maybe we will in the next two games whether we have a salvagable season. If not someone other then Billick needs to accept play calling responsibilties and prepare to enlist someone willing and able to clean-up this mess. I admire the defensive player's, even when they get the stupids, I think thats used as a distraction from their utter disappointment. A Shottenheimer/Ryan duo would be more tasteful !!!
That's my line too...You ain't NEVVA Lied Bruh! LEt the door hit Billick and Give Rex a chance!!
kash96

New Baltimore, MI

#8 Nov 16, 2007
Mike, Nice article, I agree with you. If it weren't for our defense we would be up the creek without a paddle. I hope we can keep Rex Ryan in Baltimore! GO RAVENS
ed keller ticonderoga ny

United States

#9 Nov 16, 2007
no way billick can stay. the owner is a smart man, he is finding the correct time to dump him this year.
Spencer

Cape Coral, FL

#10 Nov 16, 2007
Seven weeks, for not only for Billick,but also McNair, Boller,and Rolle. Seven weeks for Ozzie to make to some hard but needed decisions. Sadly of all seven weeks remaining in the career of Ogden.
cesar

Upper Marlboro, MD

#11 Nov 16, 2007
Excellent article. This defense is currently ranked number one in the Aikman efficiency ratings. A testament to Rex Ryan and his staff, but mostly the heart of the players.
Truth

Ashburn, VA

#12 Nov 16, 2007
Patrick wrote:
I'll tell you what will really save Compu Coach's job:
1. Burn the offencive playbook.
2. Burn it again ( just to make sure it does not pull a Michael Myers and keep coming back in other forms).
3. Hire a new offencive coordinator- like you say Mike, not a "yes man."
4. Send the entire offence and one Coach, Compu to 1984 style reprogramming. 2+2=5, love big brother, a two yard pass on 3rd and 8 does not equate to a first down. 7 is more then 3, run the ball when you need one yard, bench a struggling QB earlier in the game.
Am I missing anything?
6. Learn to spell OFFENSIVE!!!!!!!
Ray Venn

Washington, DC

#13 Nov 16, 2007
Say what you want about Ray Lewis, but when he is on the field, he plays.
Alex

United States

#14 Nov 16, 2007
The chest-thumping and stupidity of the baltiless convict defense is unrivaled and unparalleled.

The defense needs to learn about humility; they're getting their tails kicked every game.
Jason

Parkville, MD

#15 Nov 16, 2007
Well written. I never understood why fans have so many issues with the defensive players showing emotion. Football is an emotional game. The defense can't worry about the score. Their only concern has always been imposing their will on the other team. It's a credit to Ray Lewis that his group has never quit. I wish the offense could have the same passion.

In addition, I will never forgive Todd Heap for missing the Pittsburgh game. Where was he when we really needed him, regardless of how the game turned out? You would've had to cut Ray's leg off for him to not play.
Raven lover Billick hater

Parkville, MD

#16 Nov 16, 2007
I hope and pray that regardless of what happens the rest of the year that bischotti has enough balls to end this madness. I dont see how he can justify bringing back a head coach that 50% of the team has given up on. The players dont respect the guy if they did they wouldnt undermine him on radio shows and in the media. The penalties and the turnovers make you believe that he is as bad at game preparation as he is at playcalling. The defense bailed him out in 05 when he should of been fired and despite sucess last year we are back to square one on offense and the defense is older. We still dont have a quarterback and the offense as a whole is as awful as Brian the brains' playcalling. Like Preston said, the defense has to much pride to lay down and give up which is probrobly the reason we wont have a chance at any of the good 1st round quaterbacks(Ryan,Brohm,Brennan ). So the only way to get the offense together is to let Billick go. We all no he is way to arrogant to let the owner bring in his own coordinator and keep Billick in the dark on the playcalling. That is why he has to go. Please Mr. Bischotti end the offensive graveyard that is
Billickball. Bill Cowher in 08. If anything,man would that piss the Steeler fans off.
Herman

Baltimore, MD

#17 Nov 16, 2007
Just for the record - I know everyone is going to think I crazy or smoking crack, but the Ravens ARE going to the playoffs, and Boller is going to take them there.

Yes, the Defense is going to step up their game. The rookies in the secondary, along with the re-emergence of the vets for injuries are going to start playing shut-down ball.

But the really big play is going to come from Boller. Out of every player in the NFL, it's Boller who has the most to prove to his multitude of critics.

So get ready to see it all come into focus this weekend against the Browns. We're gonna kick their behinds! And if I haven't sounded insane enough for ya...

We're the only team that can stop Tom Brady, and the Pats. You heard it here first.

Since: Jul 07

Santa Barbara,Ca

#18 Nov 16, 2007
You are kidding Right??.....all i see i our "D" Line is plugging the holes as good as anyone....but i don't see Kelly or Haloti banging their chests or taunting the other team when we are down by 2-3-4 scores....like the linebackers or db's.......hey! save the energy! WIN THE GAME!....go to work......quit making yourselves look like children, stupid ones at that........you are living in the past glories of last year....soon Ray goes-i don't see us re-signing the underachiever Suggs-C-Mac is going too.......we need a youth movement and a hew coach,Stevie "B" DON'T you spend a dime of your money extending thses players contracts! we need a new direction now!......start CUTTING these guys at the end of the year......Offer a coaching position to J.O. and Ray.....get Drew Olsen back(cheap) and move on......Defense......most of you will get cut for Xmas......good luck taking your attitude elsewhere.........i still love ya all......you have performed well since you have been here(except for this year)but you gotta go.....
markmac

United States

#19 Nov 16, 2007
Ray Ray is a hasbeen as a player. While he can still cheerlead, he ends up needing help to tackle most running backs. His love of trash talking and his insistence on being the focal point of the Ravens' defense has stunted the growth of its other members. Ed Reed is a great player, but his game is not truly about chest pounding and big hits. He is much more versatile than that. But Ray Ray insists on treating his teammates like participants at a pro wrestling TV taping.
Your team can only mature when you dump the dead weight. Make #52 a community liason to dropout kids-his verbal skills will serve him better there.
UKM

Rosedale, MD

#20 Nov 16, 2007
Mike, this has to be the best article you've ever written as a sports writer. Reading this article really pumped me up. Bravo Mike.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ed Reed Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New England Patriots: Ed Reed A Possibility at ... (Nov '13) Jul '14 Flatulence Fred 29
News NFL: Houston Texans cut Ed Reed, put Arian Fost... (Nov '13) Apr '14 This is Jeopardy 4
News 2014 NFL Draft: Should New York Jets Draft a CB... (Apr '14) Apr '14 1969 Super Bowl 5
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Predicting Every NFL Team's Record in 2013-14 (Feb '13) Aug '13 Realistic 14
News My thoughts and an overview of every Houston Te... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Buck 1
More from around the web