Ryan hoping to stay with Ravens

Ryan hoping to stay with Ravens

There are 33 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jan 24, 2008, titled Ryan hoping to stay with Ravens. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan today denied that he has spoken to other teams about their coordinator positions, saying he hopes his situation works out with the Ravens.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lloyd christmas

Wilmington, NC

#1 Jan 24, 2008
Well if Ryan WANTS to stay the DC for the ravens, then I'm all for it, however, I do have reservations about him too close to the old regime. If things start going south I have a bad feeling the defensive players will complain to Ryan behing Harbaugh's back and it will just divide the locker room again. But it's really exciting to think about the progress this team could make with a new head coach and OC coupled with the dominant defense. It's gotta be Harbaugh's call though. If wants them, then the front office should do what they can to retain him (and give the guy a raise for crying out loud! he deserves it!)
Bruce

United States

#2 Jan 24, 2008
I know a lot of Ravens fans want a clean sweep and would like to have Ryan gone. But after saying he wants to stay and work with Harbaugh and he's not umcomfortable in the situation, I think he should stay. Harbaugh won't be calling plays as the OC and will have much more time concentrating on the overall effectiveness of the team. If he thinks Ryan is doing something he doesn't like, I don't think he'd hesitate to say it and keep Ryan in check. I think Ryan will be fine as long as he marches to Harbaugh's drum.
skaybaltimore

Hyattsville, MD

#3 Jan 24, 2008
After all the pressers where coaches swear this and that, then turn around and do the exact opposite, at this point, I wouldn't believe anything anyone says.
John

Ruffs Dale, PA

#4 Jan 24, 2008
So all the BS you heard that he's was going to the Skins as DC lol !
I do hope he's does stay here
phil

Hyattsville, MD

#5 Jan 24, 2008
There is no doubt that Ryan wants to be a short-timer, so retaining him could damage future continuity as he would most likely interview for any available HC opening. We keep him this year and then he departs next year, we will probably have to start with a new defensive scheme at the same time alot of new defensive players will need to be drafted to replace our aging start. Too much turmoil happening at the same time on the defensive side.

Also, Ryan has ties to the players currently, and can create a wedge between the offense and defense. Buddy Ryan, although a defensive genius, often created a schism between the offensive and defensive side. With the Ravens, the defensive players may have issues with the way Harbaugh runs the team, and Ryan may serve as an unhealthy soundboard for these players, which could adversely impact the overall unifying message that Harbaugh is trying to convey. We have seen the lack of discipline under Rex Ryan - will Ryan come to the player's defense against the overall good of the team, or will he continue to foster the current state?

Finally, there must be something awry with Ryan's interviewing technique and ultimately, his character. There is away to brag without being boastful; there is a way to be confident and visionary without being arrogant. For whatever reason, Ryan's style must be alienating those with decision-making capabilities. This really could signal a lack of leadership or visionary qualities that a good HC must have. Is Ryan really our best choice?
Ravens

Hollywood, FL

#6 Jan 24, 2008
I hope Rex stays he is the best DC in the game and as far as continuity what better way to maintain it than with an already familiar coach. Rex would not undermine John Harbaugh because it would be a career killer the same goes for discipline. Since Rex did not get a HC job this year he will do everything in his power to make sure that happens. I wouldn't be the least bit surprise to see Rex cracking down and being the best team player he can be. Rex is not stupid and he knows that his best shot at being a HC is to show that he can crack down and be a team player. What better way to prove that than by staying here.
Go Ravens

United States

#8 Jan 24, 2008
None of us posters know Ryan as a person, but the Ravens front office does. They said that they wished Ryan the best, but also wanted to hang onto him if possible - there's a reason for that. No one wanted a break from the old more than Biscotti, so if he still wanted Ryan back then I trust him. Rex wants nothing more than to have a tip-top defense to further prove his mettle as a HC, and screwing up team chemistry will NOT get him anywhwere near his ultimate goal. I hope we get him back because he's an excellent coach. Go Ravens.
Its cRyan time

Washington, DC

#9 Jan 24, 2008
I think if they were going to hire him they would have done it by now. Not sure what the knock on the guy is but one would think that something is questionable. He's done a great job for us but I agree that he may be too close to the players and they do not need any separation of the locker room. good luck to you Oedipus Rex.
ravnmanmaniac

Baltimore, MD

#11 Jan 24, 2008
That Rex Ryan is a class act. Hey Harbaugh don't make a mistake and lose this coach. Rex has proven that he can have a great defense with less.
veedub

Englewood, CO

#12 Jan 24, 2008
Best DC in the game?
Ever hear of Lebeau or Johnson?

If anything, Rex was exposed after last year's debacle. I honestly think we need to part ways with Rex, and start anew. Cut all ties with former regime, if you will.

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#13 Jan 24, 2008
I think Spags showed himself to be the best DC in the NFL in 2007.
tony

UK

#14 Jan 24, 2008
hurry up harbaugh get rex on board
tony

UK

#15 Jan 24, 2008
NewCoachRules wrote:
screw Ryan
""""" ""NUMBSKULL" """"" """
Dave

Gaithersburg, MD

#16 Jan 24, 2008
This is a tough call. Rex has worked with John in the past and was the reported player favorite. My opinion is that Rex could be a uniting influence in the locker room, especially if he gets the additional title Asst Head Coach. This access to all facets just might give him that little extra when going after HC positione next year. His presence could also provide that little extra time the offense may need to hopefully rev it up under Cam. Forget his demonstrated ability to maximize performance on the field, Rex's biggest contribution to this franchise could be his ability to help maximize teamwork off the field. It's not a question of want, I believe we need him back!

Since: Jul 07

Santa Barbara,Ca

#17 Jan 24, 2008
i think its a coin flip.......keep him or cut him?.......tough decision....glad its not me that has to make it......has his upsides and downsides.......flip the coin and lets get on with it......
paul

Parkville, MD

#18 Jan 24, 2008
they need to stop bsing and hire back Ryan and also lock in Terrell Suggs for next year before we loose him too
ravenpic

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Jan 24, 2008
Yes bring Rex Ryan back. But TAKE AWAY his ability to call TIME OUTS. Anyone who calls time out and it ends up costing a win should be HANDCUFFED to do it. Boy did that S**K
Mike

Virginia Beach, VA

#20 Jan 24, 2008
Hell yeah bring back Rex. Can anyone blame Rex for calling a timeout? That one play didnt cost that game. That man has this D on lockdown and I cant WAIT to see what we do now. It my be a year or so before the peices fall in place...but wow.
chris

Baltimore, MD

#21 Jan 24, 2008
yes but if rex was not the dc i would have hired don imus i wish don imus was the president of the world
frox

Lititz, PA

#22 Jan 24, 2008
Nice work Jamison! Some real information straight from the source. I am sick and tired of all the speculation that has been in the paper lately.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ed Reed Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New England Patriots: Ed Reed A Possibility at ... (Nov '13) Jul '14 Flatulence Fred 29
News NFL: Houston Texans cut Ed Reed, put Arian Fost... (Nov '13) Apr '14 This is Jeopardy 4
News 2014 NFL Draft: Should New York Jets Draft a CB... (Apr '14) Apr '14 1969 Super Bowl 5
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Predicting Every NFL Team's Record in 2013-14 (Feb '13) Aug '13 Realistic 14
News My thoughts and an overview of every Houston Te... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Buck 1
More from around the web