Cold fact: Steelers is real rivalry game

Cold fact: Steelers is real rivalry game

There are 374 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Dec 8, 2008, titled Cold fact: Steelers is real rivalry game. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

They did, though, by early in the fourth quarter, when they took advantage of the Ravens' gifts the same way the Ravens had taken advantage of some gifts of their own.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

maritime

Phoenix, AZ

#353 Dec 12, 2008
Erie Native wrote:
Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!! Here We Go Steelers, HERE WE GO!!!!!
LET'S GO BLACK AND GOLD!!!!
Sorry Bob
THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON CRACK ANY QUESTIONS
rob

Hyattsville, MD

#354 Dec 12, 2008
GHT wrote:
<quoted text>my last Steeler away game in the late 90's was when the Ravens played the Steelers in the old 3 Mile Island Rivers Stadium. That goofy horn that blasted out the outdated "Here we go steelers, here we go" tune reminded me of one of those horns I used to get at the local fair each fall when I was a kid. They were long and made out of plastic. This was back in the 60's and 70's. The only difference is, those $1 novelty horns had a better tone than the stupid sound blasted over the stadium loudspeaker. That hokey horn noice just makes me laugh. You gotta say, the production entertainment (scoreboard, sound system) at M & T Bank Stadium is 10 times better than most NFL stadiums.
It is the best in the NFL and every year they tweak it even better.

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

#355 Dec 12, 2008
GHT wrote:
<quoted text>my last Steeler away game in the late 90's was when the Ravens played the Steelers in the old 3 Mile Island Rivers Stadium. That goofy horn that blasted out the outdated "Here we go steelers, here we go" tune reminded me of one of those horns I used to get at the local fair each fall when I was a kid. They were long and made out of plastic. This was back in the 60's and 70's. The only difference is, those $1 novelty horns had a better tone than the stupid sound blasted over the stadium loudspeaker. That hokey horn noice just makes me laugh. You gotta say, the production entertainment (scoreboard, sound system) at M & T Bank Stadium is 10 times better than most NFL stadiums.
Do you want all the bells and whistles to entertain you, or do you want football? Personally, I get irritated when I walk into a stadium and the scoreboard or the PA Announcer needs to tell its fans what to do and when.

Latrobe, PA

#356 Dec 12, 2008
rob wrote:
<quoted text>
People from other teams showing up at Raven's games doesn't bother me because most of them live in Baltimore. You have to remember, Baltimore is a real anomoly. When the Colts left, some people like me didn't adopt a new team. I just watched football and enjoyed it. Actually, the baltimore CFL team was some wild, big time action football. There is a whole generation of kids from 84-94 that grew up without a team, so they adopted another team. Bottom line, it was mostly geographical. Many people like my son who live in NE MD adopted the Eagles, many folks in Southern MD and the Eastern Shore who were Colts fans adopted the Redskins. At the time the Steeler's were winning, so many people just jumped on the Steeler band wagon. I think it will take another generation around here and you will see a shift to the Raven's.
The local newspaper does a piece on the best tailgaters each week. This week's winner had a picture of people from the last game dressed in Raven's gear and there were 5 people in the picture dressed in Redskin's gear and they were all family and close friends. I could tell be their ages that many of them are in that 84-94 gap.
I remember the CFL team, that was a fun time...I went to a few games when I was in town. Mike Pringle was something to watch.

Latrobe, PA

#357 Dec 12, 2008
SC_Ravens_Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You might wanna rethink your trip. Read the front page! Hard economic times means less security (especially to protect Squeelers like yourself!).
I would estimate there will be approximately 20K Steeler fans there on Sunday, I will be one of them. Not quite as impressive as it years past, the MNF game a Redskins Stadium was something else...we made ourselves at home, more so than I ever remember.
rob

Hyattsville, MD

#358 Dec 13, 2008
Biff 33 wrote:
<quoted text>I would estimate there will be approximately 20K Steeler fans there on Sunday, I will be one of them. Not quite as impressive as it years past, the MNF game a Redskins Stadium was something else...we made ourselves at home, more so than I ever remember.
There will not be 20,000 Steeler fans in the seats. I am sorry, but the Raven's publish their season ticket demographics, I've read them and it doesn't add up. You see a few thousand of them there but 20,000 in a 70,000 seat stadium where every seat is sold as a psl is a little ridiculous.
rob

Hyattsville, MD

#359 Dec 13, 2008
Biff 33 wrote:
<quoted text>I remember the CFL team, that was a fun time...I went to a few games when I was in town. Mike Pringle was something to watch.
People make fun of the CFL games, but I still watch them when I can catch them on cable because I love football. The games are wide open and exciting. The bigger fields and less downs create a wide open passing game (if you like passing which I do). And you better not run out of bounds on the other teams sidelines because you might get a worse hit from the opposing players,lol.

The CFL Colt's..ha..ha..till the NFL took the name away were a fun team to watch.
rob

Hyattsville, MD

#360 Dec 13, 2008
Biff 33 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you want all the bells and whistles to entertain you, or do you want football? Personally, I get irritated when I walk into a stadium and the scoreboard or the PA Announcer needs to tell its fans what to do and when.
You may not think about this depending on who you go to the game with, but I sometimes take my little grand kids to start getting them interested in the Raven's. It's tough to keep their attention, so those little bells and whistles keep their attention and keep them busy. BTW,I am with you, I just want a good football team. I'll leave the beatiful stadiums to entertain the fans to the Royals and Rangers.

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#361 Dec 13, 2008
Biff 33 wrote:
<quoted text>I would estimate there will be approximately 20K Steeler fans there on Sunday, I will be one of them. Not quite as impressive as it years past, the MNF game a Redskins Stadium was something else...we made ourselves at home, more so than I ever remember.
Your estimate is worth about the same as a piece of toilet paper that you can use to wipe your a$$ after the Ravens school the Steelers at M&T yet again.
rob

Hyattsville, MD

#362 Dec 14, 2008
I think it's absolutely disgraceful that a great football game like that gets decided by the officials and not the players. Two plays with indisputable outcomes as seen from every angle including the blimp and the officials get them both wrong. How exciting a finish would it have been if it was 4th and 1 and the Steelers have to make a decision to win or tie. That's the way a great game should have finished. That's the ending for a great game, not the officials giving the game away. How embarrassing. But a loss is a loss even if you lose to the officials. Bright side is we will see the Steeler's again in the playoffs.

Latrobe, PA

#363 Dec 14, 2008
rob wrote:
I think it's absolutely disgraceful that a great football game like that gets decided by the officials and not the players. Two plays with indisputable outcomes as seen from every angle including the blimp and the officials get them both wrong. How exciting a finish would it have been if it was 4th and 1 and the Steelers have to make a decision to win or tie. That's the way a great game should have finished. That's the ending for a great game, not the officials giving the game away. How embarrassing. But a loss is a loss even if you lose to the officials. Bright side is we will see the Steeler's again in the playoffs.
I don't think you will see us in the playoffs. Refs didn't decide the game. Ravens inability to move the ball for a TD cost them the game...they had plenty of opportunities...close game, tough game, it was good.

Latrobe, PA

#364 Dec 14, 2008
rob wrote:
<quoted text>
You may not think about this depending on who you go to the game with, but I sometimes take my little grand kids to start getting them interested in the Raven's. It's tough to keep their attention, so those little bells and whistles keep their attention and keep them busy. BTW,I am with you, I just want a good football team. I'll leave the beatiful stadiums to entertain the fans to the Royals and Rangers.
I see your point about that with kids...
rob

Hyattsville, MD

#365 Dec 14, 2008
Biff 33 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think you will see us in the playoffs. Refs didn't decide the game. Ravens inability to move the ball for a TD cost them the game...they had plenty of opportunities...close game, tough game, it was good.
Flacco didn't show up today and I am just disgusted that they keep trotting MacGahee out there every week. He is terrible. He was bad news at Buffalo and is bad news here! I think you'll be surprised about the playoffs. Titans are not all that as you'll find out next week and the Dolts can be beat. You may see a rematch soon,lol, have a good night!
Yard Birds

AOL

#366 Dec 14, 2008
Flacco and his ZERO td's and 2 int's.
rob

Hyattsville, MD

#367 Dec 15, 2008
Flacco had his worst game a a Raven. I would not have cared if the Raven's lost if the Steelers had caught the ball IN THE END ZONE. What makes me angry is the way the game ended. The officials robbed both teams of a great finish and made the game a questionable win for the Steelers. A really good football fan wants the game decided by the players, not the officials.

There is a yahoo sports story and still photos that showed it wasn't a touchdown. A Steeler fan wrote the following post to the picture which I thought honestly sums it up for both team's fans:

"I'm a Steeler's fan and bottom line, even though this helped my team this week, there are way too may of these instant replay problems each week in the NFL. Something needs to be done by the league to remedy this situation. The Raven fans should be pissed."

The officials robbed us fans of a great ending. End of the day though, Steeler's won, Raven's lost. See you again in January!

Since: Sep 08

Baltimore

#368 Dec 15, 2008
Frankly without knowing the rule...I thought the Steelers had scored. I know for certain...they didn't get the first down that led to the first field goal. That would have changed The last Ravens drive for certain. But...now we have to see what happens.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Since: Feb 08

East Butler, PA

#369 Dec 15, 2008
rob wrote:
Good call by the officials. close call, but a good call. the tip of the ball broke the plane, the receiver caught the ball and then got tackled backwards. don't get confused because he got tackled back into the playing field. It was still a TD.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

East Butler, PA

#370 Dec 15, 2008
Amadeo wrote:
Frankly without knowing the rule...I thought the Steelers had scored. I know for certain...they didn't get the first down that led to the first field goal. That would have changed The last Ravens drive for certain. But...now we have to see what happens.
I thought that was a generous spot on that call too. It's always hard to tell unless the camera is lined up perpendicular to the field and positioned exactly on the first down marker. There were many non calls all game long too on both sides. that's football.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

East Butler, PA

#371 Dec 15, 2008
rob wrote:
Flacco had his worst game a a Raven. I would not have cared if the Raven's lost if the Steelers had caught the ball IN THE END ZONE. What makes me angry is the way the game ended. The officials robbed both teams of a great finish and made the game a questionable win for the Steelers. A really good football fan wants the game decided by the players, not the officials.
There is a yahoo sports story and still photos that showed it wasn't a touchdown. A Steeler fan wrote the following post to the picture which I thought honestly sums it up for both team's fans:
"I'm a Steeler's fan and bottom line, even though this helped my team this week, there are way too may of these instant replay problems each week in the NFL. Something needs to be done by the league to remedy this situation. The Raven fans should be pissed."
The officials robbed us fans of a great ending. End of the day though, Steeler's won, Raven's lost. See you again in January!
still photos don't tell the story. anyway you can't trust photos these days. anyone with photoshop can alter them. The call was correct.

Now where the game was decided was back at the steelers 8 yard line when the ravens D had a chance to pin them back and go 3 and out. Big Ben showed why he is the man and the ravens couldn't stop him. I saw one play they dropped 9 and Ben still made the completion. He is one helluva QB and I'm glad he's on our team.

Since: Sep 08

Westerville, OH

#372 Dec 15, 2008

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ed Reed Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New England Patriots: Ed Reed A Possibility at ... (Nov '13) Jul '14 Flatulence Fred 29
News NFL: Houston Texans cut Ed Reed, put Arian Fost... (Nov '13) Apr '14 This is Jeopardy 4
News 2014 NFL Draft: Should New York Jets Draft a CB... (Apr '14) Apr '14 1969 Super Bowl 5
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Predicting Every NFL Team's Record in 2013-14 (Feb '13) Aug '13 Realistic 14
News My thoughts and an overview of every Houston Te... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Buck 1
More from around the web