Offense rushing to make extremely phy...

Offense rushing to make extremely physical statement

There are 72 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 22, 2008, titled Offense rushing to make extremely physical statement. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The Ravens aren't fancy and don't have players who constantly make big plays, but coordinator Cam Cameron gets every ounce of energy out of the offense.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Peej

Corinth, MS

#61 Sep 22, 2008
Jon wrote:
Has anyone considered if the O line has another good day/Monday night and we have Figurs, Ray Rice, McGahee, and McClain all healthy and playing in the same game?
Gee whiz Jon! That would be too easy. If the O-line continues to gel (I noticed a number of downfield blocks from these athletic linemen), perhaps Joe Flacco also can get better each game.

One thing I did notice from watching the highlights on NFL.com , is that everyone on the offense is playing smarter as well as harder.

Sure was fun to watch!
Peej

Corinth, MS

#62 Sep 22, 2008
Hey everyone, it looked like Heap played a much better and more energetic game. I noticed:

1. Once he drifted into the right flat when Flacco rolled left away from pressure. Flacco hit him dead center and he took off. I could not believe that he actually got by the first tackler and got a few more yards and the first down.

2. He still went over the middle and pulled down a pass in traffic.

3. I could not stop laughing when, in the third quarter, he took a swing pass to the left and made a move on the Browns #24. He actually head slapped the guy, juked around him and head slapped him again in picking up another 4-5 yards! It was priceless.

It looks like Heap got his own message that the first game will leave people's minds only if he plays the way he has played in the past.

In another observation, I notice that Mark Clayton sure does make a lot of downfield blocks - that little guy likes to hit people! I just wish they would design some routes to use his quickness.

Finally, I noticed that most of the passes completed are of the comeback variety. That might be Cam Cameron using safer routes to keep the pressure off Flacco.
Whaaat

Pleasanton, CA

#63 Sep 23, 2008
Peej wrote:
<quoted text>
Kyle Boller played in a spread offense in the Pac 10. The book on him was that his accuracy and decision making were questionable. Whoever wrote that in Sporting News turned out to be right.
Joe Flacco played in a pro-style offense. In addition to his tools, he was being complimented on his football knowledge. Apparently, some of these kids imbibe football knowledge with their mother's milk.
The draft is always a gamble, but overall, the Ravens have done well over the years. Perhaps this year will go down as a good one (Flacco, Rice, etc.)
Time will tell.
No, FireTrembley said that Flacco didn't play in a pro style offense so he has to be right! HAH!

I guess the shotgun is not a pro style offense in FireTrembley's book. It's the same logic that lets him say he has a girlfriend when he is really referring to his hand.
A V III

Raleigh, NC

#64 Sep 23, 2008
Spirit of Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
He didn't run it in because the O-line was horrible that day. Once you are inside the ten the defense has much less area to defend so a scrub defense like the Bungles can keep you out of the endzone on the ground. You can't compare last years team to this years team. Last years team was injured and last years O-line was hurt all season and never really played at a decent consistent level. Right now Cam can call plays that Billick couldn't becasue the O-line can do those things. On the other hand there are plays he can't call because Flacco dosen't have enough experience. Any decent coach knows better than to attempt plays that require skills and talent that is beyond his players capabilities. In short get off Billick he's gone. When the going gets tough with Harbaugh lets see what he can do when %50 of his starters are out for most of the season. I haven't seen a team in the salary cap era win with half their starters out for an entire season.
The first game, we were pretty healthy. The SCRUB BUNGLES D, as you said wouldn't have kept US OUTTA the End Zone if we had run it with Willis or a QB draw with McNair. As I mentioned, we had McLain as well and he was heavier than he is now in 2006!!

Don't get it twisted, I love Billick and I always find him an interesting person, but he did cost us a few games that we could've easily won. and those games could have changed things around as well!!
Peej

Corinth, MS

#65 Sep 23, 2008
Spirit of Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
He didn't run it in because the O-line was horrible that day. Once you are inside the ten the defense has much less area to defend so a scrub defense like the Bungles can keep you out of the endzone on the ground. You can't compare last years team to this years team. Last years team was injured and last years O-line was hurt all season and never really played at a decent consistent level. Right now Cam can call plays that Billick couldn't becasue the O-line can do those things. On the other hand there are plays he can't call because Flacco dosen't have enough experience. Any decent coach knows better than to attempt plays that require skills and talent that is beyond his players capabilities. In short get off Billick he's gone. When the going gets tough with Harbaugh lets see what he can do when %50 of his starters are out for most of the season. I haven't seen a team in the salary cap era win with half their starters out for an entire season.
I believe that injuries did play a big part in last year's problems. However, it [play calling in the red zone] was a long-time problem.

How many times did we see linemen like JO, Edwin and others come off the field in disgust because they had to settle for 3 pts after having a first down inside the 10 yard line - and then tried three passing plays?

An offensive line will get better at running in the red zone - only if they have plenty of opportunities to do so.

Knowing that Cam Cameron trusts them enough to make the blocks will give them the confidence to go along with the improved coordination.

Yes the two Ohio teams are not playing well, but both have large run stuffing tackles, agile ends and active linebackers. However, both defenses were on the receiving end of a big time whipping!
Fubar

AOL

#66 Sep 23, 2008
Peej wrote:
3. I could not stop laughing when, in the third quarter, he took a swing pass to the left and made a move on the Browns #24. He actually head slapped the guy, juked around him and head slapped him again in picking up another 4-5 yards! It was priceless.
Eric Wright #24 is a joke at CB. Ravens beat yet another worthless team.
Peej

Corinth, MS

#67 Sep 23, 2008
Fubar wrote:
<quoted text>
Eric Wright #24 is a joke at CB. Ravens beat yet another worthless team.
Too true, but my point was that Heap played with more energy than I have seen out of #86 in a long time. We will see on Monday, but Heap always seems to play better against the Steelers.

If this [Heap's play from Sunday] keeps up, the offense could continue to be fun!
Fun-ny

Houston, TX

#68 Sep 24, 2008
Nice analysis there Urinej.
Peej

Corinth, MS

#69 Sep 24, 2008
Fubar wrote:
<quoted text>
... Ravens beat yet another worthless team.
Yes, they may be worthless (although they did play the Steelers tough) but the Ravens DID beat them!

Last year, I am not so sure....
Canadian Hoser

AOL

#70 Sep 25, 2008
Urinej...LMAO!
Peej

Corinth, MS

#71 Sep 25, 2008
Canadian Hoser wrote:
Urinej...LMAO!
So did I! Good one!
Paul bleeds Purple

Columbia, MD

#72 Dec 9, 2008
We finally got one baby look out! I've sat there and watched a dozen bums come and go and we still made several playoffs & a Super Bowl win.We finally have our guy and the BEER IS COLD!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ed Reed Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New England Patriots: Ed Reed A Possibility at ... (Nov '13) Jul '14 Flatulence Fred 29
News NFL: Houston Texans cut Ed Reed, put Arian Fost... (Nov '13) Apr '14 This is Jeopardy 4
News 2014 NFL Draft: Should New York Jets Draft a CB... (Apr '14) Apr '14 1969 Super Bowl 5
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Predicting Every NFL Team's Record in 2013-14 (Feb '13) Aug '13 Realistic 14
News My thoughts and an overview of every Houston Te... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Buck 1
More from around the web