McNabb warms the bench, but it's Reid...

McNabb warms the bench, but it's Reid who ends up on on the hot...

There are 20 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Nov 24, 2008, titled McNabb warms the bench, but it's Reid who ends up on on the hot.... In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Quarterbacks and head coaches are often tied together when it comes to job security, and when one goes, the other often shortly follows.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

bmore

Essex, MD

#1 Nov 24, 2008
i think i totally agree with everything you said in this article. i was licking my chops while laughing @ the decision to bench mc choke, i mean mc nabb. very foolish.

and flacco definitely hasnt looked good at all these past two weeks...looks like hes actually delivering some passes with different mechanics. its definitely not working. he had the ball curled up by his ear before he released some of those long balls that sailed over the heads of would be receivers.
Steve

United States

#2 Nov 24, 2008
Reed's attempted lateral may have been stupid, goofy and idiotic, but it was not selfish. Come on Mike, you're supposed to know what words mean.
paulie

Cottage Grove, MN

#3 Nov 24, 2008
Benching McNabb was a bad move by Reid? Is that so Mikey. And BTW, that wasn't after two interceptions, it was after two interceptions AND a fumble. NINE turnovers in just eight consecutive quarters is not the record of someone who is going to pull the game out for you in the second half. It's not like Kolb's numbers were any different than what McNabb's would have been. Now Andey Reid gets to pick which turkey is going to start the Thanksgiving Day game ...
chuck

Towson, MD

#5 Nov 24, 2008
bmore wrote:
i think i totally agree with everything you said in this article. i was licking my chops while laughing @ the decision to bench mc choke, i mean mc nabb. very foolish.
and flacco definitely hasnt looked good at all these past two weeks...looks like hes actually delivering some passes with different mechanics. its definitely not working. he had the ball curled up by his ear before he released some of those long balls that sailed over the heads of would be receivers.
he kept us in the giant's game and he didn't look great against philly he didn't look bad
Chris

Alexandria, VA

#6 Nov 24, 2008
Benching McNabb for Kolb was a stupid move. And you're right on the money about Flacco. He's improving, but he still has way to go. I continue to hear how is isn't frazzled, but I've seen him miss (overthrow) some open receivers when it gets hot back there. He'll be fine in time. He's definitely a keeper!!! Go Ravens!!!!
Dan

Hanover, MD

#8 Nov 24, 2008
Flacco hasn't been playing well the last two weeks!? Mike, I think you are out of your mind (or still bitter that Troy Smith squandered his opportunity, sorry Mikey, Smith is never going to be our started. Get over it).

Flacco has been playing with little help from our o line (no blocking, repeated pressure) and our wide receivers (not getting open and dropping passes). Despite that, Flacco is throwing well, playing with poise, seeing the field and moving around.

Stop bashing Flacco because the horse you backed lost. Us fans are behind Flacco 100%.
Frank Kush

AOL

#9 Nov 24, 2008
Dan wrote:
Flacco hasn't been playing well the last two weeks!? Mike, I think you are out of your mind (or still bitter that Troy Smith squandered his opportunity, sorry Mikey, Smith is never going to be our started. Get over it).
Flacco has been playing with little help from our o line (no blocking, repeated pressure) and our wide receivers (not getting open and dropping passes). Despite that, Flacco is throwing well, playing with poise, seeing the field and moving around.
Stop bashing Flacco because the horse you backed lost. Us fans are behind Flacco 100%.
He was not "bashing" Flacco but pointing out the obvious. As a matter of fact Mike has written numerous complimentary articles on Flacco including a comp aritive analysis of him and Boller. Sorry Belcamp but Joe has hit the wall. His O line is not the best nor are his receivers however they are playing hard(the o line is far superior this year to pittsville) But Joe scares the crap out of me on those floating short passes and when he is flushed out to his right. His accuracy is high,low, in front or trailing too often lately. He needs a mental break to let it all settle in but it can't happen anytime soon. we all love this kids potential and his guts. His true talent is yet to emerge.
blake

Owings Mills, MD

#10 Nov 24, 2008
i agree that andy reid may have cost himself a job. i noticed mike that you still continue to take shots at Billick. I think that is totally unprofessional but that is what i expect from someone like you
Vendel

Baltimore, MD

#11 Nov 24, 2008
Where did Preston get his degree from?? This guy's an idiot. To say that Flacco has regressed in the past 2 weeks (against 2 of the top 8 defenses in all of football, mind you) is as ridiculous as his weekly articles. NEWSFLASH PRESTON: The Giants and Eagles play pretty good defense!! And when the Ravens finally put some receivers on the field who can actually make use of his arm, he'll be even better. And I know Miami isn't the football powerhouse that Towson State is, but Ed Reed has more big plays than you have journalism awards. I guess the Ravens should just stay away from those "selfish, idiotic, stupid" players from the U!!! Get a clue and lose your agenda, Preston. It makes you sound bitter.
Annapolitan

Great Falls, VA

#12 Nov 24, 2008
Help me out here - Bengals play at a slower speed, but they tied the "fast" Eagles and kept pace with the Giants.

Browns play at a slower speed, but beat the Giants and Manning, and Buffalo, and nearly beat the Redskins.

You are right that Flacco is still getting acclimated, he's only played 10 (?) games so far, but in the future, please give an alert so we know when you want us to take your arguments seriously and when you're just pulling our leg to get a conversation going.

Since: Oct 08

Holland, MI

#13 Nov 24, 2008
paulie wrote:
Benching McNabb was a bad move by Reid? Is that so Mikey. And BTW, that wasn't after two interceptions, it was after two interceptions AND a fumble. NINE turnovers in just eight consecutive quarters is not the record of someone who is going to pull the game out for you in the second half. It's not like Kolb's numbers were any different than what McNabb's would have been. Now Andey Reid gets to pick which turkey is going to start the Thanksgiving Day game ...
Good post finally someone who understands football. The 7 points came on Special Ed teams because they suck, Mcblabb was in-effective the running game is pathetic-In comes Kolb why the hell not? They needed a lift. The Mcblabb sympathizers are crying for him today on these boards from supposed Raven fans dont understand them idiots. WHERE is the Philly fans who were yapping for weeks before this game? Thought so...
paulie

Cottage Grove, MN

#15 Nov 24, 2008
GHT wrote:
<quoted text>Dumb move to pull McNabb. Dumb dumb dumb. It was only 10-7 at the half. It was a very close game because the Eagle D was excellent. On the road? Raven D? A guy who has thrown all of 8 passes in his career? He didn't get first string reps all week? And asked Kolb to do what Mc Nabb coudln't??? And you think it was a good move? Yeah, for the Ravens, it was a gift for sure. It was 12-7 as late as the 4th quarter. Close game and the type we've lost on numerous occasions in the past.
Right. The guy who fumbled once and threw three interceptions against Cincinatti and then fumbles one and throws two interceptions in the first half against the Ravens is definitely going to rally the team to a win in the second half. LOL! Nice script. Hollywood should love it.
Enough Already

United States

#16 Nov 24, 2008
I thought it was funny the way Ed Reed "outed" Mike Preston at the post game press conference. Reed's comments and attitude toward Preston made it pretty clear that the players don't have much respect for him and question whether his columns are even accurate (something Sun readers have questioned for a long time).
Dan

Hanover, MD

#17 Nov 24, 2008
Frank Kush wrote:
<quoted text>He was not "bashing" Flacco but pointing out the obvious. As a matter of fact Mike has written numerous complimentary articles on Flacco including a comp aritive analysis of him and Boller. Sorry Belcamp but Joe has hit the wall. His O line is not the best nor are his receivers however they are playing hard(the o line is far superior this year to pittsville) But Joe scares the crap out of me on those floating short passes and when he is flushed out to his right. His accuracy is high,low, in front or trailing too often lately. He needs a mental break to let it all settle in but it can't happen anytime soon. we all love this kids potential and his guts. His true talent is yet to emerge.
Frank, I am not saying Flacco is perfect. He is still a rookie. But he is playing much better than Preston gives him credit for. Joe threw for 183 yds, 2 tds and no ints. Yeah, Joe didn't have a great first half, but he had about 2.3 seconds to throw before he got hit. Be honest. If our line was playing so wonderfully, how come there were no holes for our running backs in the first half (save one small series for McClain, which ended in a punt anyway) or us failing to get a 3rd and 1?

Preston downgrades him for turnovers that "should have happened." That's ridiculous. If we are going to play that game, then be fair and factor in Todd's dropped passes and shoddy line play.

Flacco is a good, young QB. He has lots of room for improvement, but he has played much better than Preston has given him credit for.

If you don't want to take my word for it, then why don't you look at SI's Don Banks article on Flacco as possible Offensive Rookie of the Year, SI's Peter King explaining that despite our bad game against the Giants last week Flacco played very well, or ESPN's John Clayton also making a Rookie of the Year argument for Flacco.
Josh

Royal Oak, MI

#18 Nov 24, 2008
Well if Flacco really looked terrible then how in the hell did he throw for 183 yards and two td's and a rating of 95.5? Yea that's pretty terrible. Wow preston you really need to give it a rest. He didn't look too bad against Pittsburgh who leads the league in sacks. So I don't what you are trying to point out, but he is just managing games and not forcing turnovers.
Irishpat

Royal Oak, MI

#19 Nov 24, 2008
I find myself agreeing with Mike on all points ,also Flacco may be hitting that proverbial wall that rookies sometimes do.It's hard to say because his receivers still aren't getting open as often as they should.
rick-- gresham or

Clackamas, OR

#20 Nov 24, 2008
My jaw dropped open when i saw Donovan had been benched. Andy Reid just panicked, i suppose; not good for an experienced head coach.
Ravens_Flock

United States

#21 Nov 24, 2008
God Damn Mike. Once again, in an article of which the subject matter has absolutely nothing to do with them, you just can't HELP yourself but bring up Brian Billick and Kyle Boller.

You're a sad man.
Buzz

Troy, MI

#22 Nov 24, 2008
Enough Already wrote:
I thought it was funny the way Ed Reed "outed" Mike Preston at the post game press conference. Reed's comments and attitude toward Preston made it pretty clear that the players don't have much respect for him and question whether his columns are even accurate (something Sun readers have questioned for a long time).
Amen!! I heard Ed Reed's comments on Mikey and it was real clear how he felt. He said something about Mikey needing to get his facts straight or something to that effect. Mikey is the Sun's version of a shock-jock. The more outrageous and daft Mikey's columns, the more reaction they get, and the more the paper likes it.
Greg B

Cincinnati, OH

#23 Nov 25, 2008
Preston thinks McNabb should play no matter how much he stinks. Hmmm-real shocker there. I see a trend here. Sorry Mike but when a running quarterback (regardless of race) losses his ability to run eventually all that is left is a lousy quarterback that can't run or throw. Face it, the guy is finished. Kolb wasn't any better but you can't blame Reid for trying when McNabb's ineptitude was painfully (for Eagles fans) obvious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ed Reed Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New England Patriots: Ed Reed A Possibility at ... (Nov '13) Jul '14 Flatulence Fred 29
News NFL: Houston Texans cut Ed Reed, put Arian Fost... (Nov '13) Apr '14 This is Jeopardy 4
News 2014 NFL Draft: Should New York Jets Draft a CB... (Apr '14) Apr '14 1969 Super Bowl 5
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Predicting Every NFL Team's Record in 2013-14 (Feb '13) Aug '13 Realistic 14
News My thoughts and an overview of every Houston Te... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Buck 1
More from around the web