Bears plan on taking Lions seriously

Bears plan on taking Lions seriously

There are 38 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 29, 2008, titled Bears plan on taking Lions seriously. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Perhaps no Detroit Lions play in this winless season, or any season of futility, sums up a franchise better than the Dan Orlovsky safety.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RAO

Canton, IL

#23 Oct 30, 2008
Bob Babich wrote:
The way my defense is playing, I fully expect Rod to replace me next year! Of course, Lovie will still be pulling the strings, so you don't have to worry about having the killer D that the Bears had under Ron Rivera!
How'd that killer D do in the Superbowl? Indy ran for close to 200 yards. It's too simple to say it's all on Babich.

Since: Apr 08

Chicago, IL

#24 Oct 30, 2008
EBF wrote:
Even if Chicago was an unbeaten powerhouse like the team that comes to town after the Lions, this would still be a game to be totally focused on, just like EVERY OTHER GAME!!! The Bears went 7-9 last year, with two of those losses dished out by Detroit. The Bears are 4-3, and extremely fortunate to be so. The Chicago defense is crumbling right before our very eyes, an alarming trend that slowly started creeping into existance near the end of 06, then came full circle last year, when the collapse was blamed on injuries. Now, the defense is looking as bad or even worse than it did in 07, after a boatload of so-called "Franchise Players" were payed like Hall Of Famers. We have an offense that's bailing us out every week, but that will soon come to a screeching halt if our itsy-bitsy o-line can't start opening up some rushing lanes. Fans aren't the ones writing articles in the papers saying how the Bears should throttle the Lions, the columnists are. We have nine games to go, and we're going to need at least five or six of them to be a playoff team. If the defense comes around after the bye and can find a way to be better, the Bears can claw their way back into the post season. I am not being negative. This is just the obvious truth that anyone can see if they open their eyes and look with commonsense and not just love for a change.
The sky is falling!!

Gee pal, the defense has been erratic, but your making it sound like our defense is worse then Detroits, its been bad at times but no where as close as your making it out to be. Check out the stats it would actually surprise you.
Tom

Muskego, WI

#25 Oct 30, 2008
terry wrote:
As a COF (Certified Old Fart) I can remember all the way back to when the Lions won an NFL Championship in the 50s and in the late 50s and early 60s were just about the only team that could stand up to the Packers on a regular basis. IOW they were a team to be respected.
What they are now is more sad than anything else.
The Bears held their own with the Packers. Have you forgotten the glorious 1963 championship? That season included 2 victories over the Packers and denied Green Bay a shot at a third straight title.
George - Toledo

Maumee, OH

#26 Oct 30, 2008
Dear Chicago Bears;

I am a Lions fan and I was just wondering if it would be possible to let up on the Lions a little this week. You see we haven't had anything to cheer about this season other than Matt Millen being fired but the rest of the teams is disarray and we can't seem to do anything right. I am not asking for you to throw the game but could you please keep it around 21 points. To the Bears fans, in the future would it be possible for you to sell out our stadium for us, this would be much appreciated as the game would be broadcasted in the Detroit area thereby avoid 3 hours of info-mercials!!

Respectfully yours,

A disgruntled Lions Fan
George - Toledo

Maumee, OH

#27 Oct 30, 2008
Chuck D of Valpo wrote:
Never under estimate an injured Lion. If the Bears play the way they are capable of, they will win. We don't need any injuries. My prediction ? Go Bears - Lions 0.
It's o.k. go ahead and underestimate us, we aren't that good to overcome underestimation!!
Sublime1

Denver, CO

#28 Oct 30, 2008
George - Toledo wrote:
Dear Chicago Bears;
I am a Lions fan and I was just wondering if it would be possible to let up on the Lions a little this week. You see we haven't had anything to cheer about this season other than Matt Millen being fired but the rest of the teams is disarray and we can't seem to do anything right. I am not asking for you to throw the game but could you please keep it around 21 points. To the Bears fans, in the future would it be possible for you to sell out our stadium for us, this would be much appreciated as the game would be broadcasted in the Detroit area thereby avoid 3 hours of info-mercials!!
Respectfully yours,
A disgruntled Lions Fan
For the life of me, I cannot explain why Detroit waited so long to fire Millen. He must have had pictures of someone.

I love the bears, but you have to have sympathy for lions fans. Your time will come again. It is just going to take some time to recover from his 8 years or how ever long he was in charge there (I know it probably seems like an eternity to you).
RamRod

Saint Paul, MN

#29 Oct 30, 2008
The Bears are a constantly evolving experiment that, right now, is going right on offense and waffling on defense.
The Lions are a constantly evolving experiment that, right now, is going bad on both sides of the ball.
The difference is that we have better office and coaching. That isn't saying much.
Bottom line: Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn in a fogstorm, by pure dumb luck, once in a great while. The Lions experiment could just find a lucky combo at Soldier Field.
Play the game the way it is supposed to be played and none of this conjecture will matter.
Oh, chuck the cover 2, this week. Just saying.

Since: Oct 08

petaluma, ca

#31 Oct 30, 2008
some thoughts about this article:
the bears are 4-3. they could easily be 7-1, save some lapses in the fourth quarter. that disparity alone is reason enough for them not to take ANYONE lightly.
the lions are still professional football players.(well, they're in the NFL anyway... what they do on a week by week basis is arguably NOT professional football...) it's the teams that underestimate their opponent who lose games they should win (patriots v. dolphins in week 3).
the way the bears' defense is playing they have to come out every week with a major chip on their shoulder, hit someone in the mouth, and keep doing it for the full 60 minutes.
they've got some serious games coming up in the next month (Tenn, Jax, GB) and they better get their defensive house in order or they'll be one of those 10-6 teams that misses the playoffs. the way the NFC east is this year, 9-7 ain't cuttin' it if you don't win your division.
Shane

New York, NY

#32 Oct 30, 2008
How are you compare my 7-2 nationally ranked Spartans to the Detroit Lions...

Lions - 13
Bears - 31
Shane

New York, NY

#33 Oct 30, 2008
* How are you compare my 7-2 nationally ranked Spartans to the Detroit Lions...

Lions - 13
Bears - 31
Phil

East Lansing, MI

#34 Oct 30, 2008
Come on now, lets be fair. At least Michigan State has Javon Ringer. the Lions have Rudi Johnson??
DieHard

Canton, GA

#35 Oct 30, 2008
Hey Haugh it's an attitude like that that would cause the Bears to lose the game! Never overlook an opponent regardless of how lousy they may be.
Brent

East Lansing, MI

#36 Oct 30, 2008
HKT wrote:
Besides, you know, running into the back of his own end zone. There's no way you are defending this pathetic excuse for a team right now.
So you seriously think that Kitna was better than Orlovski has been? At least we have been moderately close in a few of our losses, unlike Cincinnati. But no one talks about them going 0-16, because they have a "weak" schedule, being that they play the Chiefs. But we will wait and see and I will defend the Detroit Lions, no matter how bad they look, I will always be a fan.
rocky49er

Warren, MI

#37 Oct 30, 2008
Of course Da Bears HAVE to say they take the Liedowns seriously. Not to, would be a professional insult in the NFL. Da Bears will take this crappy team apart in every aspect of the game.
Its gonna be GREAT!!! Hilarious!!
Wrigley Field Bear

San Francisco, CA

#38 Oct 30, 2008
There's no excuse for a 4-3 team, WHICH IS JUST AN AVERAGE TEAM, getting trapped by anyone. If the Bears lose this game, Lovie Smith should be fired immediately.
Paul E

Mosherville, MI

#39 Oct 30, 2008
Wrigley Field Bear wrote:
There's no excuse for a 4-3 team, WHICH IS JUST AN AVERAGE TEAM, getting trapped by anyone. If the Bears lose this game, Lovie Smith should be fired immediately.
I completely agree. The Bears are a 4-3 team that could just as easily be 2-5 as they could be 6-1. An average team does not take any team seriously. And the Bears, especially, cannot afford to have any lapses in a Division that will only have one playoff team. They are not talented enough offensively or defensively to relax for a week.
Bauer

Goshen, IN

#40 Oct 30, 2008
Gimy wrote:
i don't care if they're playing the cheerleaders, you demolish whomever you line up against and go for 60 minutes. orton has had rexy like games, anybody can catch a ball. a few bad passes run back...and we're down 21 points. it CAN happen. remember Zona a coupla years ago? if you don't take your opponent seriously...you're not a winner. you relax when you're up by 40...nothing less. ask sage rosenthal about having a game won and crapping it away, ask rexy...ask anybody who's thought the game was in the bag just to p2ss it away. never undestimate your opponent
YOU SAID IT.

Getting overly cocky is just as idiotic as crying "The sky is falling!" every time things go badly.

Everyone on the Lions still has pride, and anyone playing in the NFL is physically capable of beating you.

I do expect the Bears to win; mainly because Orton seems like he's on a stratospheric trajectory, and because I think the Bears defense has a chip on it's collective shoulder this week.

“Bleeding Orange and Blue ”

Since: Oct 08

Chicago. Columbus & N. Calif.

#41 Oct 30, 2008
The offense is clicking. The defense is embarrassed,(and let's hope, MOTIVATED) and of ALL the opponents to come along! This "D" WILL look good against the win-less Lions, with or without Babich because they know what's ahead for them. They know it's a divisional game and won't get many chances like this to tune-up for the REAL test that lies ahead so I'm sure they'll make the most of it. It's that, or have to be the one to explain why you got beat by an awful team. I don't think so! Kyle and the offense WILL roll and Forte WILL stroll and the only question is whether or not they'll implement the mercy rule for this BEATDOWN! GO BEARS, BEAR DOWN and pound some Lion tail!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drew Stanton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Carson Palmer's shoulder 'regressed,' QB seeks ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 2nd Opinion 1
News NFL analyst Brandt: Carson Palmer has 'gone bac... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Corran Horn 2
News Jaguars rumors: Drew Stanton could get a look i... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Tim Teblow 1
News Predicting the Top NFL Free Agent Contract at E... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Robert coins 1
News Should the Lions Sign JaMarcus Russell? (Jun '10) Feb '11 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 15
News King: Packers owe Lions, Bucs (Feb '11) Feb '11 GBPfan 2
News Lions don't buy Hochuli's explanation for Suh flag (Dec '10) Dec '10 Big Fan 1
More from around the web