Bears plan on taking Lions seriously

Bears plan on taking Lions seriously

There are 38 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 29, 2008, titled Bears plan on taking Lions seriously. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Perhaps no Detroit Lions play in this winless season, or any season of futility, sums up a franchise better than the Dan Orlovsky safety.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chuck D of Valpo

Valparaiso, IN

#1 Oct 29, 2008
Never under estimate an injured Lion. If the Bears play the way they are capable of, they will win. We don't need any injuries. My prediction ? Go Bears - Lions 0.
Brent

East Lansing, MI

#2 Oct 29, 2008
I can't believe that you compared the 0-7 Lions to the 7-2 Michigan State Spartans. Sorry no team in the state of Illinois is any good. Yeah Hoyer isn't Stanton, but hey, we win games. Period.

Oh and have you watched the Lions at all this season?

Roy Williams led the LEAGUE in dropped passes. He wasn't helping at all, especially when he'd sit in his corner and cry when Calvin got the ball more than him. Goodbye and good riddance.

And for Kitna, you think that he was a helpful part of our offense? Bah, he threw more terrible balls than any QB I have seen. Orlovski is much better at controlling the game and not making stupid mistakes.

Anyways, watch out bears. Remember, the Lions took it to you all last year.
HKT

United States

#3 Oct 29, 2008
Besides, you know, running into the back of his own end zone. There's no way you are defending this pathetic excuse for a team right now.
Adam

Peoria, IL

#4 Oct 29, 2008
I wouldn't overlook the game if the Bears were playing Syracuse, any given Sunday, anything can happen. Until the last second ticks away, nothing is guaranteed.

Since: Oct 08

Dane, WI

#5 Oct 30, 2008
The Lions! Well with the way the D's been playing, with missed tackles! They have a chance to fool everybody! Not if the Bears attack there offense! But we all know Bob doesn't know the word Attack now does he? Kyle should have a very good passing game and Forte to run for about 150 yrds. GO BEARS KICK SOME IN THE NFC NORTH
Da Bearss

United States

#7 Oct 30, 2008
We need to put the Kittens away early and get our scrubs some mop-up time. I hope Rex plays the whole second half.
Bob Babich

Normal, IL

#8 Oct 30, 2008
The way my defense is playing, I fully expect Rod to replace me next year! Of course, Lovie will still be pulling the strings, so you don't have to worry about having the killer D that the Bears had under Ron Rivera!
FL_Dave

Bala Cynwyd, PA

#9 Oct 30, 2008
The Bears have to take the Lions seriously. The Bears have just as bad, if not a worse defense. It's amazing how the press hypes up how the Lions opposing QB's have set career high's for QB rating, but not enough is made of how porous the Bears defense is. Before anyone points to the run defense, why would an opposing team run the ball when ANY QB has all day to complete a pass? Guarantee when Orvlosky takes the field, after 60 minutes of game time, he will look like an all-pro QB just like the QB’s that the Bears have faced to date. It’s an embarrassment to call that unit a “defense.” The Bears defense TOTALLY lacks discipline.
dabearsdasoxdabu lls

Madison, AL

#10 Oct 30, 2008
The lions has been a joke in the nfl since barry left. Just sad that they are in the same division as we are making all of us look bad.
Sublime1

Denver, CO

#11 Oct 30, 2008
"Any given Sunday" is a saying for a reason. Considering some of our losses this season, I would be disappointed if they lost, but not shocked. Hopefully they show up and play like they are paid to play. I'm in withdrawal after last week's bye.
bmunos

Sierra Vista, AZ

#12 Oct 30, 2008
This is the perfect game for Babich to try new stategies on defense. Bring a new look with different stunts up front. You may not be able to get a true grade on your success because it is the Lions but you can give your D a different mind set. I believe the Bears D is just as tired about their approach as we fans are at watching it. Get used to cheking the receivers at the line, alter their routes and play some man this weekend because the Titans and Packers will pick apart our zone. If it is more of the same on D, regardless what the score turns out then we are going to really have to watch ourselves in the upcoming games!! Lovie needs to take a page from Phillips and the other Turner and get a grip on his D if he plans to play beyond the end of the season. Isn't he supposed to be some kind of defensive guru???
Paul K also of Valpo

United States

#13 Oct 30, 2008
As a Colts fan putting up with the pre-season Bears bashing, I thought the Colts opening game vs the Bears was an easy win. Of course the Bears not only won, but completely dominated. Bears need to be careful.
robert johnson

Elkin, NC

#14 Oct 30, 2008
You talk as if the Detriot Lions can't score any points. Talk to Dave Wannsdet (sorry for misspelling)about Rutgers and Pitt game two weeks ago. Rutgers couldn't score either.
K20A2_S

Houston, TX

#15 Oct 30, 2008
Definitely Babich needs to try new stuff, I never seee stunts and twists with our linemen and linebackers............always the same look of Urlacher and Briggs at teh line either going straight in or bailing out, I don't mind they do that when they bail out, but start having the tackcle cross the linebackers and stunt and twist......
terry

Searsport, ME

#16 Oct 30, 2008
As a COF (Certified Old Fart) I can remember all the way back to when the Lions won an NFL Championship in the 50s and in the late 50s and early 60s were just about the only team that could stand up to the Packers on a regular basis. IOW they were a team to be respected.

What they are now is more sad than anything else.
G-Force

Batavia, IL

#17 Oct 30, 2008
bmunos wrote:
This is the perfect game for Babich to try new stategies on defense. Bring a new look with different stunts up front. You may not be able to get a true grade on your success because it is the Lions but you can give your D a different mind set. I believe the Bears D is just as tired about their approach as we fans are at watching it. Get used to cheking the receivers at the line, alter their routes and play some man this weekend because the Titans and Packers will pick apart our zone. If it is more of the same on D, regardless what the score turns out then we are going to really have to watch ourselves in the upcoming games!! Lovie needs to take a page from Phillips and the other Turner and get a grip on his D if he plans to play beyond the end of the season. Isn't he supposed to be some kind of defensive guru???
I could only believe that "try new strategies" could only happen with someone else in the DC position. The bye week hasn't changed my mind. Babich needs to be fired soon!
George

Carol Stream, IL

#18 Oct 30, 2008
First of all, you never look past one opponent to get to another. You handle who's in front of you first. This is a trap game. Even though the Lions are 0-7, they have been in each of their last 2 games.

On another note... This is a question I asked yesterday:
Does anyone know if Nick Roach is back? He's playing pretty good before he went down. I kinda like the idea of a 4 LB formation. But it leaves us short in the secondary. Still, it's something to look at. Our defense could use a little change like that. Going into a 4-4 will make us even strong against the run and it gives us one extra LB to either blitz or to drop into coverage and protect against those slants. I don't know. What do you all think?

GO BEARS!!!! NFC NORTH CHAMPIONS!!!
patriots fan

Warren, MI

#19 Oct 30, 2008
i bet anyone that the lions are going to go without a win this year and the lions head coach is going to get fired without finishing year!!!!!!!
Gimy

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Oct 30, 2008
i don't care if they're playing the cheerleaders, you demolish whomever you line up against and go for 60 minutes. orton has had rexy like games, anybody can catch a ball. a few bad passes run back...and we're down 21 points. it CAN happen. remember Zona a coupla years ago? if you don't take your opponent seriously...you're not a winner. you relax when you're up by 40...nothing less. ask sage rosenthal about having a game won and crapping it away, ask rexy...ask anybody who's thought the game was in the bag just to p2ss it away. never undestimate your opponent
EBF

United States

#22 Oct 30, 2008
Even if Chicago was an unbeaten powerhouse like the team that comes to town after the Lions, this would still be a game to be totally focused on, just like EVERY OTHER GAME!!! The Bears went 7-9 last year, with two of those losses dished out by Detroit. The Bears are 4-3, and extremely fortunate to be so. The Chicago defense is crumbling right before our very eyes, an alarming trend that slowly started creeping into existance near the end of 06, then came full circle last year, when the collapse was blamed on injuries. Now, the defense is looking as bad or even worse than it did in 07, after a boatload of so-called "Franchise Players" were payed like Hall Of Famers. We have an offense that's bailing us out every week, but that will soon come to a screeching halt if our itsy-bitsy o-line can't start opening up some rushing lanes. Fans aren't the ones writing articles in the papers saying how the Bears should throttle the Lions, the columnists are. We have nine games to go, and we're going to need at least five or six of them to be a playoff team. If the defense comes around after the bye and can find a way to be better, the Bears can claw their way back into the post season. I am not being negative. This is just the obvious truth that anyone can see if they open their eyes and look with commonsense and not just love for a change.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drew Stanton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Carson Palmer's shoulder 'regressed,' QB seeks ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 2nd Opinion 1
News NFL analyst Brandt: Carson Palmer has 'gone bac... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Corran Horn 2
News Jaguars rumors: Drew Stanton could get a look i... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Tim Teblow 1
News Predicting the Top NFL Free Agent Contract at E... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Robert coins 1
News Should the Lions Sign JaMarcus Russell? (Jun '10) Feb '11 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 15
News King: Packers owe Lions, Bucs (Feb '11) Feb '11 GBPfan 2
News Lions don't buy Hochuli's explanation for Suh flag (Dec '10) Dec '10 Big Fan 1
More from around the web