Rob Oller commentary: Smith's college fame sacked by reality of NFL...

The ruthless reality of NFL cutdown day is that names once appearing in large, bold print atop newspaper stories now hide in typeface requiring squintervision. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Reality

Dublin, OH

#1 Sep 6, 2010
In reality, Troy Smith was a good player on a great team at OSU. Like most Heisman winners, he was the most outstanding player or leader on a potential national championship team. Jim Tressel is well respected for developing great teams, not necessarily the greatest NFL talent. That's what got Smith his accolades.
SC Stuart

Georgetown, SC

#2 Sep 6, 2010
There has to be a way for Troy to come by to OSU and work in some capacity with the Buckeyes if he isn't picked up by another team. His skills are to valuable be wasted.
Jeff

Westerville, OH

#3 Sep 6, 2010
as much as I enjoyed watching him in scarlet and gray I knew he wouldnt have a pro career. 2 different sports completely.
Mojo

United States

#4 Sep 6, 2010
Although I am sure troy Is disappointed, this may be an opportunity in disguise. He will not have the head injuries and beat up body of those who stay in the NFL.
His story is so much more inspiring than to dwell on this job loss. And I am sure he will come out on top.
Wish you the best Troy and thanks for all you did for us buckeyes!!
mittymjs

Newville, PA

#5 Sep 6, 2010
Hey Troy - I have a large framed print from the Columbus Dispatch of you - 2006 "The Heisman in my office! Maybe if I am real lucky some day you will autograph it for me!!

I see it every day and it inspires me and helps me to keep my Buckeye blood circulating.

Just don't give up - you will land back on your feet!
OSUwinsSept11

AOL

#6 Sep 6, 2010
This is the perfect story for all scholarship football players at the Division I level who believe a college degree is an afterthought to the riches of the NFL. Bobby Carpenter was a first-round pick just four years ago. What will he do now? The moral of the story is: Get your degree and plan for life after football no matter how many stars adorn your high school recruiting ranking.
Balls Deep

Columbus, OH

#7 Sep 6, 2010
Troy Smith will be fine.
jimmybuck

Naperville, IL

#8 Sep 6, 2010
OSUwinsSept11 wrote:
This is the perfect story for all scholarship football players at the Division I level who believe a college degree is an afterthought to the riches of the NFL. Bobby Carpenter was a first-round pick just four years ago. What will he do now? The moral of the story is: Get your degree and plan for life after football no matter how many stars adorn your high school recruiting ranking.
I agree completely. Troy was a great college QB but that does not transfer to success in the pros. A degree does not automatically guarantee success either and while you may not make millions and have adoring fans, you will have a route to a different career. Maybe teaching and high school coaching.
casey d jax fl

Jacksonville, FL

#9 Sep 6, 2010
Troy keep you head up and continue to work. If it dosent work out im sure Jim can use you here at OSU. Whether you make it in the nfl or not us Buckeye fans dont care we will never forget what joy you brought to us when you wore the Scarlet and Grey. Go Bucks and Go Troy
tmc

Dublin, OH

#10 Sep 6, 2010
Troy Smith's college fame will never be sacked by the NFL reality. His time with OSU was memorable. Was there ever a time that the Buckeyes were losing and we didn't have confidence that they were going to win because Troy Smith was our QB?

Those were great years and the michigan victories helped ease the pain of the 90's.

Since: Sep 09

Columbus, OH

#11 Sep 6, 2010
Matt Leinart was also a victim of the cold reality of the NFL.

The NFL, more than ever, is a Quarterback's league. If you don't have a Super Bowl caliber QB -- and if your back-up QB isn't perceived to be of a "future Super Bowl caliber quality" then your team is perceived to have no chance of winning.

It is the toughest position to learn and play at the professional level. My hunch is that Troy Smith won't be unemployed long. Injuries and other factors create openings for experienced back-up QB's all the time. Smith may not be done just yet, but clearly his glory days are in his rearview mirror.
Sha Zam

Jupiter, FL

#12 Sep 6, 2010
Ahhhh, that was a very romantic story about another over rated buckeye. I'll never forget this guy getting run down by a helmet less Gator in the 07 NC. Reality is painful and Miami is bringing the pain in five days. Too bad. Soo sad.
dean

Mobile, AL

#13 Sep 6, 2010
Troy always wanted to get out of there so he can use/show off his talents, so this is a present for him. Although probably at a bad time. Baltimore is not a place you want to be a QB.
Sha Zam

Jupiter, FL

#14 Sep 6, 2010
Early Warning. All you Hicks up there better get out your banjo's and start figuring what sad song you are going to strum on saturday. It will probably go something like this "Troy Smith stinks and my hound dog ran away with my toothless wife but that wasn't so bad until Miamim came to town and ruined my life". Man life is sad.
dean

Mobile, AL

#15 Sep 6, 2010
Sha Zam,
Ahhhh, that was a very romantic story about FL winning without playing against Ginn. I'll never forget it took Ginn only about 8 seconds to humiliate FL. Too bad you're so delusional.
Dannawally

Toledo, OH

#16 Sep 6, 2010
John in Worthington wrote:
Matt Leinart was also a victim of the cold reality of the NFL.
Plus, he couldn't keep his pie-hole shut.
pam

New Providence, NJ

#17 Sep 6, 2010
Troy, if you are reading this please remember how much you mean to the fans who got the thrills and yes, the heartbreak, while you played for tOSU. We got to watch you go from a kick returner to a Heisman QB and that is something that can never be taken away from you regardless of how your NFL career turns out.

Thank you #10 and all the best to you!
Clint

Cincinnati, OH

#18 Sep 6, 2010
Just read where Doug Worthington is on the Steelers practice Squad and James Cordle is on the New York Giants practice squad ....Still very surprising that QB Troy smith and LB Bobby Carpenter haven't been picked-up by another NFL Team . Troy is a NFL player and could be a very good one + Carpenter is just puzzling ... fast and big ?

Since: Sep 09

Columbus, OH

#19 Sep 6, 2010
Sha Zam wrote:
Ahhhh, that was a very romantic story about another over rated buckeye. I'll never forget this guy getting run down by a helmet less Gator in the 07 NC. Reality is painful and Miami is bringing the pain in five days. Too bad. Soo sad.
Ahhh Sha Zam,

Looking forward to the arrival of your Co-Canes to the greater Columbus area in a couple of days. We fully expect the crime rate to spike during your stay. By the way, if your players have any downtime while they're here we have some local 4th graders who can tutor them in reading and math.

Oh and by the way, so sorry about that endzone penalty call in the national championship game? It just breaks my heart to think about how you were robbed. The pain and agony of that moment is just unbearable for me at times.

Oh by the way, your players will feel right at home at the Franklin County jail... the jail jumpsuits are Orange!

Enjoy!
Bob C Smithers

Reynoldsburg, OH

#20 Sep 6, 2010
A lot of these comments read like an obituary, at least of Smith's pro career. The reality is, just because he got cut by the Ravens doesn't mean his NFL career is over. They decided to go with only 2 QBs. Smith is better than a lot of teams' 3rd string QBs and some backups. He could probably compete to start for a couple teams ( like Cleveland and Arizona). I am sure he will at least get a look somewhere. A lot of fringe NFL players can still hang out for about as long as they want to. There was a former Buckeye who just "retired" after spending time with 6 teams over 2 years. I'm sure Troy's career isn't over just because he got cut by ONE team.
Plus there is always the CFL and UFL. Heck I know of some local guys who weren't that great who played QB professionally in the lower leagues. He still has options if he wants to play football.
He probably isn't going to be picked up on waivers because the new team would have to assume his contract, which I believe is around $1.176 million. As a 4th year player, he could be signed to a contract around $545,000. Or I could be wrong and he might have enough service time that he doesnt have to clear waivers and is automatically a free agent. If that is the case he might take his time and see what develops as far as tryouts, injuries,etc.
As far as guys like Bobby Carpenter- he is notoriously soft. Doesn't translate into an NFL starting linebacker. He could be a backup/nickel package player, but no one was going to pay him a higher salary for that. He took a paycut before the trade but was still making around twice the minimum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doug Worthington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GameDay+ (Sep '09) Nov '11 mdcbuck 42
Ohio's top stars elude Buckeyes (Feb '10) Apr '11 Matt from Columbus 80
OSU football: Cordle named captain for Navy gam... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Ralph Horner 1
Four Buckeyes Selected In NFL Draft | WBNS-10TV... (May '10) May '10 WOODYs GOD SON 1
The Columbus Dispatch (Apr '10) Apr '10 FLABUCK 20
NFL draft: New England drafts Ohio receiver Pri... (Apr '10) Apr '10 Lee 19
Buckeyes' production slows (Apr '10) Apr '10 ytown02 1
More from around the web