Browns' Donte' Stallworth to plead gu...

Browns' Donte' Stallworth to plead guilty to DUI manslaughter i...

There are 489 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jun 16, 2009, titled Browns' Donte' Stallworth to plead guilty to DUI manslaughter i.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Attorneys say Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth has agreed to plead guilty to a DUI manslaughter charge in Florida and will likely serve some time in jail.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 25
Next Last
Broward Resident

AOL

#1 Jun 16, 2009
Sure they want to resolve the case ... It's all about the money .. Wait till the Greedy Lawyer gets his cut and see how happy they are ...
Jesus Garcia

Boca Raton, FL

#2 Jun 16, 2009
Broward Resident wrote:
Sure they want to resolve the case ... It's all about the money .. Wait till the Greedy Lawyer gets his cut and see how happy they are ...
Well, so what would you do if you were a member of that family? Shoot him? No, you'd
take the money too.

Vengence is mine sayeth the lord.
DAS

Jupiter, FL

#4 Jun 16, 2009
Hey MAY do SOME JAIL TIME ?????????? What his Lawyers and the VICTIMS lawyers need to do is SUE THE BEVERAGE COMPANY that SERVED Him That Liquor and the Maker of THAT POISON...Hey they do it to TOBACCO RIGHT ? Yes Right
WOW

Hollywood, FL

#5 Jun 16, 2009
That is shocking. Usually these cases are frought with mistakes in the investigation and errors in calculating blood alcohol levels. There is also an issue of causation. Bad lawyering if you ask me.
The Truth Detector

Branford, FL

#7 Jun 16, 2009
Too bad he didn't hire David Bogenschutz. If you don't pay for the best, you settle for the rest. Donte' needed a deal maker with the family. A better attorney could have settled this without any jail time. A money pay-off to the victim's family was the answer. Donte is still going to end up with a big bill from his attorney and for what? Anyone can plead guilty. Who needs to spend a bunch of money for that?
A guilty plea is what a public defender pushes. The right attorney is your ticket to ride. Oh well, is a deep subject. Maybe out of this debacle, Donte' will have learned that a lousy 50 bucks for a driver would have saved a virtual fortune in this case.
who cares

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#8 Jun 16, 2009
Well if it was you or me we would be sitting in jail for at least 5 years and I guess if you have lots of money your above the law. He should get at least the min.
Court Jester

Boca Raton, FL

#9 Jun 16, 2009
When this first happened I said a deal would be made and he would not get much jail time. He probably already reached a settlement with the family(will probably hear more about that later.) You won't here much from the cops because the Defense attorny is connected to the Beach cops. Compare this case to several others the past year where the Defendants got a s--- load of time. Money talks and bullS--- walks. He will be suspended by the league for a year and then reinstated. How do you justify this with Michael Vicks case.
Tango

Tallahassee, FL

#10 Jun 16, 2009
4 years minimum mandatory, pal
JohnInMiami

Miami, FL

#12 Jun 16, 2009
Imagine some plain old Joe Lunch Bucket getting off this easy? Not in our lifetime. Justice is no longer blind - all that matters is who you are and how much money you've got.
Marv Albert

Hackensack, MN

#13 Jun 16, 2009
He can borrow my panties.
The Truth Detector

Branford, FL

#14 Jun 16, 2009
Court Jester wrote:
When this first happened I said a deal would be made and he would not get much jail time. He probably already reached a settlement with the family(will probably hear more about that later.) You won't here much from the cops because the Defense attorny is connected to the Beach cops. Compare this case to several others the past year where the Defendants got a s--- load of time. Money talks and bullS--- walks. He will be suspended by the league for a year and then reinstated. How do you justify this with Michael Vicks case.
"How do you justify this with Michael Vick's case"? You don't. An apples to oranges comparison between the two cases is rhetorical, at best. I suppose your argument would follow along the lines of a value system in comparison between a dog's life and that of a human. Justice is meted out one case at a time and these two cases are not only completely different, but there is absolutely no precedent in law to support a legal argument, thereof. Such a line of argument may as well follow the oldest complaint in the entire history of jurisprudence that "if only I had a better attorney, I would have walked". Of course, that is not relevant in a court of law and will not get you out of jail. Remember, who ever said life was completely fair? Money talks and B.S. walks. Donte's biggest mistakes were to not hire a driver that night, and then not hiring the right attorney for his D.U.I. case.
Manny

West Lafayette, IN

#16 Jun 16, 2009
Wow...about time a star athlete stepped up to the plate after commiting a crime and decide to take responsibility for his misguided actions and face the music. Kudos to Mr. Stallworth. Mr. Burress and Mr. Leyritz should take note. And, by the way, because he is pleaing so soon, yes, he is entitled to substantially less jail time, because he is saving the system considerable time and money in going through this case. At every stage, the longer this would have gone, the bigger the stakes would have gotten up to and including the 15 years max in prison.
zoroaster

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#17 Jun 16, 2009
JohnInMiami wrote:
Imagine some plain old Joe Lunch Bucket getting off this easy? Not in our lifetime. Justice is no longer blind - all that matters is who you are and how much money you've got.
Actually, based on the reporting, it probably has more to do with the circumstances. If we are to believe the account, the victim ran out into traffic while trying to catch his bus and probably would have been hit had Stallworth not been drinking. In that case, there wouldn't be any charges period. Unfortunately for Stallworth, he made a bad decision and was driving with a healthy buzz which calls into question whether he would have reacted quicker sober and avoided the man.
pulmonary cripple

Delray Beach, FL

#18 Jun 16, 2009
HA HA HA HA HA! ONCE AGAIN i have defeated all the wild eyed morons on the sentinel blog. you have been mocked, demolished, debacled and put in your place again. where are the jock sniffing apologists now that he has admitted he was GUILTY? you morons claims he was INNOCENT merely because the victim was lawfully crossing the street? LOLOLOL!

enjoy prison, loser!
pulmonary cripple

Delray Beach, FL

#19 Jun 16, 2009
this doesn't compare to what vick did. this is MUCH WORSE. killing human being is a bit worse than mistreating stupid dogs.

stallworth will rot in hell for this for an eternity. justice!
Mike Honcho

Miami, FL

#20 Jun 16, 2009
you misspelled Re$olve
ocala rob

Ocala, FL

#21 Jun 16, 2009
"quote"The laws are not mine as you state Ocala Rob, they are the states and we live here.
So, say Stallworth is not drunk when he hit the person is he still blamed? The person was crossing the street illegally.
Yes, no matter how small the distance he was crossing illegally. If Stallworth's breathalyzer test comes back as .081 which is barely over the legal limit. Would that make him any less guilt of drunk driving?
According to Florida Law there needs to be just cause proving that him being drunk directly caused the accident that killed the pedestrian. Since the pedestrian was himself breaking the law and jaywalking then there is a good chance Stallworth will get off. From all reports he was not speeding or breaking any other driving laws.
Again, this is Florida law and not my law.
I can't comment on the Jim Leyritz case or any other because I don't know what happened well enough.
I feel sorrow for anyone who has had a loved one killed by a drunk driver.
However, each case is different and should be looked at differently. Lumping everything into one category of automatically guilty does no good.
As I have said before... Both parties are at fault. Does that mean Stallworth should be charged with murder? I don't know. But, I think both should be given equal blame.
"unquote"

ok robert where are you!! you defended stallworth and now he's copping a plea!! what happened to "causation"!! he was facing 15 yrs and made a deal at .126 how can you say that there's any doubt that he didn't cause this!!! where are you at remember i bet you the farm now i want my farm get it up!!!!!!
pete

AOL

#23 Jun 16, 2009
It was an ACCIDENT. plain and simple.

the guy should not have been in the
road
ocala rob

Ocala, FL

#24 Jun 16, 2009
"quote" If the man was crossing the street illegally and Stallworth was not speeding or breaking any other traffic laws. How did him being over the legal limit directly contribute to accident?

By your logic, some one sitting at a red light waiting for the light to change and is drunk. He is then rear ended and the person who hit him died, but was not drunk. So the person who was drunk is to blame for the others death?

How so? If the person who was drunk did not cause the accident he should not be charged with manslaughter. But, he should be charged with DUI."unquote

i guess the state of fla doesnt share your veiw's!! niether did stallworth's lawyer's!! you gotta be a cleveland brown fan!! i don't mean to gloat but what did i tell you! no way he dodges this! so make a deal to minimize his penalty! no matter what he's got to be done as a ball player! he should do a good stretch!! where the hell are you now robert
pulmonary cripple

Delray Beach, FL

#25 Jun 16, 2009
Broward Resident wrote:
do you have ANYTHING valuable to contribute other than rabid none-sense?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 25
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Donte Stallworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brady, Pats unstoppable (Jan '08) May '15 tom wingo 855
News New England Patriots working out Jabar Gaffney? (Jun '13) Jun '13 Rewind 1
News Tom Brady will have to adjust to new corps of r... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News For Patriots, 13 seasons of few words and many ... (Jan '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 4
News With Julian Edelman injured, Pats turn to Donte... (Dec '12) Dec '12 kevin 1
News New England Patriots re-sign Deion Branch (Dec '12) Dec '12 Bewitched 1
News New England Patriots release Deion Branch (Sep '12) Sep '12 Spyman 2
More from around the web