Stallworth's Sentence: Where's The Ju...

Stallworth's Sentence: Where's The Justice?

There are 5 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jun 17, 2009, titled Stallworth's Sentence: Where's The Justice?. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

He is a Hartford defense attorney with a quarter century of experience in state law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

A - west htfd

Hartford, CT

#1 Jun 18, 2009
It is disturbing that he only received 30 days jail time for killing someone regardless of the fact that it was unintended. He's not a teenager, and he should have known of his own limitations. It's not like he couldn't afford to call a cab when he knew he had been drinking enough to impare his reactions. Given his profession, he should be more aware of his physical limitations than the average person. And yes, because of his profession, he should be held to a higher standard than the average guy next door. What a sham.
Walk2run

La Mirada, CA

#2 Jun 18, 2009
Oh stop it already. There has been a certain segment of the US population that has hung, shot, mutilated another segment of the population without so much of a trial in the history of a country. Why is it that this public outcry seems to be a bit louder when the person isn't the color of those doing the outcrying (remember the OJ verdict). I am not a supporter of drunk drivers and will never be one, but that was verdict in Stallworth's case and if the people of Florida see that as a justifiable sentence... than so be it. The victim's family did not complain...so why are you?
CTsucks

New York, NY

#3 Jun 18, 2009
Welcome to America Jeff Jacobs.
Contrarian View

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jun 18, 2009
I have noticed from past articles that Mr. Jacobs enjoys being a provocative sportswriter. Now he's decided he's qualified to be a judge as well. There were clearly some extenuating circumstances in this case. First, the man who died was breaking the law when he jaywalked in front of Mr. Stallworth's car. I'm not in any way saying he deserved to die. That would be an incredibly thoughtless thing to say. This is a tragedy for everyone involved. But the victim was clearly involved in a reckless act. If you commit a reckless act, you endanger yourself and others as well. If Mr. Jacobs wants a parallel situation, instead of the cases of hit and run he sites, he might try the case where the writer Stephen King was hit while walking on the wrong side of the road in Maine. He was severely injured but the driver of the car wasn't charged because it was Mr. King who was violating the law that caused his accident. This is a far closer comparison than the cases Mr. Jacobs uses to drum up our righteous indignation at Mr. Stallworth.

So here's my take on this. This is, as I said, a horrible tragedy for all involved - the victim and Mr. Stallworth. Aside from this incident, Mr. Stallworth seems to have been an exemplary citizen and he did everything a responsible citizen should do after the fact. Mr. Stallworth will suffer greatly as a consequence of his drinking and driving. There will be a civil suit; there will be consequences handed down from the NFL; he will see this man in his dreams for the rest of his life; he'll go to jail for thirty days and he'll be under house detention for the next two years. I happen to think the judge got it right. If it were our neighbor who had done this and we knew him to be a good citizen who one time slipped up, wouldn't we say this was fair punishment considering all the circumstances. I bet we would. On the contrary, Mr. Jacobs, I believe Mr. Stallworth's celebrity served to hurt him, not help him.
Ted Kennedy

Trumbull, CT

#5 Jun 19, 2009
I for one am shocked at this...why can't people act properly when they are behind the wheel!?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Donte Stallworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brady, Pats unstoppable (Jan '08) May '15 tom wingo 855
News New England Patriots working out Jabar Gaffney? (Jun '13) Jun '13 Rewind 1
News Tom Brady will have to adjust to new corps of r... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News For Patriots, 13 seasons of few words and many ... (Jan '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 4
News With Julian Edelman injured, Pats turn to Donte... (Dec '12) Dec '12 kevin 1
News New England Patriots re-sign Deion Branch (Dec '12) Dec '12 Bewitched 1
News New England Patriots release Deion Branch (Sep '12) Sep '12 Spyman 2
More from around the web