Football player got off way too easy in DUI manslaughter case

THE ISSUE: Football player gets 30 days in jail for DUI manslaughter. Sun Sentinel Editorial Board June 20, 2009 It seems that sometimes, the criminal justice system is determined to prove the public's suspicions that wealth and privilege are all it takes to buy the celebrities an exemption to the rules the rest of us have to live by. Full Story
Frank

United States

#1 Jun 20, 2009
So what's new?
August

Miami, FL

#2 Jun 20, 2009
True. They would've put the average citizen UNDER the jail for that. I guess money can't buy happiness but it can buy a lot of other things.
Right

AOL

#3 Jun 20, 2009
Stallworth & Chenny are just small but conclusive examples of how there is one system of justice for the rich and another harsher one for the rest of us. Take a look at the recent financial crimes...the bankers get a slap on the wrist while the auto workers get chewed out for being greedy and will loose hard earned pensions and health care. There is something massively wrong when companies can sue a lady for $1.9 million (way more than she will probably earn) for 24 songs but Exxon can get 100's of millions dropped off the fine (which they can easily pay) for destroying parts of Alaska coastline. No wonder this country has been going down the tubes.
Max

United States

#4 Jun 20, 2009
This case is one of many that demonstrate the lack of any consistency in the penalties for accidental vehicular deaths. It is well past time that the Florida legislature take a long look at this issue because there is simply no justice when some serve years, as many as 15, in prison, even when no alcohol or drugs were involved, and others simply get off without any prison time at all.

The public is demanding some answers here.
ginger

AOL

#5 Jun 20, 2009
Even though this man made a pay-off to the family; the judge who only gave him 30 days in the slammer should lose her job. If this were a similar case where the culprit was not wealthy; he would be serving the 15 years he so deserves as does this man. Shame, shame on this judge. This whole thing SMELLS!
da brother

AOL

#6 Jun 20, 2009
eys bee neednen tos plays football man, da guy jumpded ins front of mes and I thumpeded him. I'lls pay da familey some coke money and days says its oks. My car getted mashed a little buts I gots nough moneys to fixes it!!! I bees free1323
Bryce Wagner

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#7 Jun 20, 2009
Football is the only school sport schedule not slashed. Football players are golden idols, along with politicians and Hollywood stars.
jeff

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Aug 10, 2009
What the hell is this world coming to. Why have guidelines if we don't go by them? You Damn right he deserves prison. At the end of the day he walks and one is killed..........Now figure that one out. Great message you are sending to eveyone. Why would the judge and even the legislater expect anybody to change behavior with a sentence like this. All are Pieces of s**t!
Sage Rosenpieces

Houston, TX

#9 Aug 11, 2009
Guidelines are not rules.

Helicopter maneuvers are what puts fans in the stands.

www.youtube.com/watch...
arnold

Tampa, FL

#10 Sep 19, 2009
A friend of ours just got 10 yrs for the same crime. How is this fair? Just because you have money you don't have to do big time? Boo on the justice system !!
Don

Bahrain

#11 Sep 22, 2009
You are seriously comparing putting Stallworth & Chenny in the same sentence for what they did? Stallworth was drunk driving ... Chenny made a mistake ... both were stupid, but give me a break!
Right wrote:
Stallworth & Chenny are just small but conclusive examples of how there is one system of justice for the rich and another harsher one for the rest of us. Take a look at the recent financial crimes...the bankers get a slap on the wrist while the auto workers get chewed out for being greedy and will loose hard earned pensions and health care. There is something massively wrong when companies can sue a lady for $1.9 million (way more than she will probably earn) for 24 songs but Exxon can get 100's of millions dropped off the fine (which they can easily pay) for destroying parts of Alaska coastline. No wonder this country has been going down the tubes.
arnold

Tampa, FL

#12 Sep 22, 2009
Break on this Don,

David Farrall, FBI agent gets 'special' consideration for killing 2 people driving drunk. Now if you do not think this is about the most corrupt two faced legal system on the globe, then, bite me!

`Not once did this man even get up here and accept responsibility for his actions. I think that's telling.'-- MICHAEL HOROWITZ, who prosecuted David Farrall. A judge told David Farrall that law enforcement officers need to uphold a higher standard than the rest of the community. With this said, he then sentenced the former FBI agent to 90 days in jail in one of the most notorious DUI cases in South Florida history. Florence Thompson, whose two sons died in a wrong-way crash with Farrall three years ago, really got justice, huh!

Another judicial travesty, for either the rich and famous, or good ole boy club.
FAMILY

Sacramento, CA

#13 Dec 23, 2009
All of you are misled and do not even look at the circumstances involved... Get a clue on move on with your lives...
arnold

Tampa, FL

#14 Dec 24, 2009
These judges and supporters do this in our face! Double standard, hypocrisy! The wealthy and government vs we the people, if thats how its gonna be, lets get it on!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Donte Stallworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New England Patriots working out Jabar Gaffney? (Jun '13) Jun '13 Rewind 1
Tom Brady will have to adjust to new corps of r... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
For Patriots, 13 seasons of few words and many ... (Jan '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 4
With Julian Edelman injured, Pats turn to Donte... (Dec '12) Dec '12 kevin 1
New England Patriots re-sign Deion Branch (Dec '12) Dec '12 Bewitched 1
New England Patriots release Deion Branch (Sep '12) Sep '12 Spyman 2
An early look at how the Patriots roster stands... (Jun '12) Jun '12 No One Special 1
More from around the web