Goodell suspends Browns receiver Stal...

Goodell suspends Browns receiver Stallworth indefinitely

There are 30 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jun 19, 2009, titled Goodell suspends Browns receiver Stallworth indefinitely. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Donte Stallworth will get out of jail in four weeks. Now it's up to Roger Goodell to say when the Cleveland Browns receiver can return to the field.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 07

Lawrenceville, GA

#22 Jun 22, 2009
MarkL5 wrote:
<quoted text>
The legal system works FOR you in the US if you have the monitary means to get the best representation.
SURPRISE!!!
Why is this such a revelation now? The fact is a life has been lost and though this was a criminal act, it was not done with PREMEDITATION. That is why Stallworth did not face a murder charge.
In the case of Mike Vick, premeditation and CONSPIRACY weighed heavily against him. Somebody asked for the difference and that is the difference. To tell you the truth, Stallworth vs. Vick is apples vs. oranges.
People get arrested, tried and convicted in this land everyday. They either have the money to get the best defense they can or they don't. The jails and prisions of this land are overcrowded with those who cannot afford the best defense, and if Stallworth and Vick were not rich men, then they too would be among the mass poor who get the worst judgements against them.
Rich men in the history of this land have gotten away with much more than Stallworth and Vick have.
It kills me that people get bent out of shape over the CELEBRITY of people in these cases. And this is what this is all about, the fact that Stallworth and Vick are NAMES. Its easy to point to them and forget that those who get convicted in this land (even if innocent) never get this kind of publicity before they spend twenty years of their lives in jail.
Stallworth must now LIVE with the fact that his actions took a human life.
In all of this conversation, this was never brought up. If he is indeed a contrite individual, that is the jail he is going to the grave with. That is the prision he has to live with for the rest of his life.
Some would call that justice.
You make great points, and I do not disagree with them. I do hope Stallworth is contrite. I am sure it will haunt him. But we dont know what is in his heart. Whether the sorrow he shows is real, or for show. We know he has millions of reasons to FAKE contriteness. Thats why I belive it is an INJUSTICE for him to get such a LIGHT sentance. And a LIGHT snetance it was. If I am Roger Goodell, I would take the lightness of the sentance that the criminal "justice" system doled out, and take that ito consideration, when dolong out the NFL suspension. What I would do, is add 3 months to the suspension. IF I thought 1 year in jail is what he should have got, then he would be suspended 1 year, 3 months. So what he DIDNT get as jail time, he gets in suspension time. That way, we can be sure, that he is Contrite! TRULY Contrite. Not just FAKING it to save him a few million dollars!
Home SuperBowl 2010

UK

#23 Jun 22, 2009
We should sign this guy. We can run the WildDUI offense!

****The JOKE BE FINS!****

Since: Apr 07

United States

#24 Jun 23, 2009
BravPhin wrote:
<quoted text>
You make great points, and I do not disagree with them. I do hope Stallworth is contrite. I am sure it will haunt him. But we dont know what is in his heart. Whether the sorrow he shows is real, or for show. We know he has millions of reasons to FAKE contriteness. Thats why I belive it is an INJUSTICE for him to get such a LIGHT sentance. And a LIGHT snetance it was. If I am Roger Goodell, I would take the lightness of the sentance that the criminal "justice" system doled out, and take that ito consideration, when dolong out the NFL suspension. What I would do, is add 3 months to the suspension. IF I thought 1 year in jail is what he should have got, then he would be suspended 1 year, 3 months. So what he DIDNT get as jail time, he gets in suspension time. That way, we can be sure, that he is Contrite! TRULY Contrite. Not just FAKING it to save him a few million dollars!
Roger Goodell is not a member of the US Justice system. He cannot and SHOULD not be depended on to make a judgement about a legal case that does not involve the NFL.

And we should not expect the NFL to be any different than any other employer. It may be somewhat cold of me to say this but would YOUR boss be as punishment pro-active as Goddell? In many cases, employers allow the courts to hand out punishment.

Again, this goes to CELEBRITY. You are not a celebrity and thus your status does not have the negative aspect with regard to image. The NFL is not acting in the best interest of Stallworth or the public at large. What it is acting on is its image. Stallworth will not be making money when he is not playing. So...

Let's understand that the difference between you and Stallworth is that you make a whole lot less money. Take under consideration the money he paid in the settlement and the money he will not make while suspended, ten years of his life restricted, and you may start to understand.

Then again maybe not. Sometimes all people see are celebrity, fame and money.
Home SuperBowl 2010

UK

#25 Jun 23, 2009
Make a trade now Triflunkta!! Sign this guy so we can run the WildDUI offense!

****The JOKE BE FINS!****
sppf121

AOL

#26 Jun 23, 2009
I am a firefighter and everyday I see several people who think having two drinks is ok get in their car. A few minutes later they are pulled over or involved in an accident. Sometimes do to bad luck.(another driver hits them.) DUI

Be carefull all you people who are writing this stuff probably do not realise how easy it is to get to .08.

Remember on average 1 12 ounce beer per hr is all you get. Most happy hours are 2 for one with a 16 ounce beers. If you drink this and leave in two hours MOST people are still OVER THE LIMIT. Including my 6'2" 250 lb friend. Dont beleave me..... Get one of those over the counter the (breatholizers) sp??? or a police officer friend. Chck it out. We DID.

Be safe. Remember it not always the other guy.

Since: Jun 07

Lawrenceville, GA

#27 Jun 24, 2009
MarkL5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Roger Goodell is not a member of the US Justice system. He cannot and SHOULD not be depended on to make a judgement about a legal case that does not involve the NFL.
And we should not expect the NFL to be any different than any other employer. It may be somewhat cold of me to say this but would YOUR boss be as punishment pro-active as Goddell? In many cases, employers allow the courts to hand out punishment.
Again, this goes to CELEBRITY. You are not a celebrity and thus your status does not have the negative aspect with regard to image. The NFL is not acting in the best interest of Stallworth or the public at large. What it is acting on is its image. Stallworth will not be making money when he is not playing. So...
Let's understand that the difference between you and Stallworth is that you make a whole lot less money. Take under consideration the money he paid in the settlement and the money he will not make while suspended, ten years of his life restricted, and you may start to understand.
Then again maybe not. Sometimes all people see are celebrity, fame and money.
ANother part of this story, that we have all seemed to ignore, id that Stallworth has made a Financial settlment, with the victims family. In other words, he PAID them off. MAybe some of the "guilt" for Stallworths light sentance, is in the hands of the victims family, who put a price on the life of thier family member, by accepting what some could consider a "bribe" to accept Stallworths lower sentance!
I wholeheartedly agree, it is a Money, and celebrity thing. Same as OJ.

Since: Apr 07

United States

#28 Jun 24, 2009
BravPhin wrote:
<quoted text>
ANother part of this story, that we have all seemed to ignore, id that Stallworth has made a Financial settlment, with the victims family. In other words, he PAID them off. MAybe some of the "guilt" for Stallworths light sentance, is in the hands of the victims family, who put a price on the life of thier family member, by accepting what some could consider a "bribe" to accept Stallworths lower sentance!
I wholeheartedly agree, it is a Money, and celebrity thing. Same as OJ.
Paid them off?

How about avoided a civl suit? Happens thousands of times in American life yearly.

So now you equate Stallworth with Simpson?

You're reaching.

Since: Apr 07

United States

#29 Jun 24, 2009
sppf121 wrote:
I am a firefighter and everyday I see several people who think having two drinks is ok get in their car. A few minutes later they are pulled over or involved in an accident. Sometimes do to bad luck.(another driver hits them.) DUI
Be carefull all you people who are writing this stuff probably do not realise how easy it is to get to .08.
Remember on average 1 12 ounce beer per hr is all you get. Most happy hours are 2 for one with a 16 ounce beers. If you drink this and leave in two hours MOST people are still OVER THE LIMIT. Including my 6'2" 250 lb friend. Dont beleave me..... Get one of those over the counter the (breatholizers) sp??? or a police officer friend. Chck it out. We DID.
Be safe. Remember it not always the other guy.
Wonderful point!

I am not a social drinker. This means that I do not drink and drive under any circumstances, but this converstation makes you wonder how many anti-Stallworth types than been pulled over for and charged with DUI.

I have no idea what the stats are on DUI, but I bet you that it is one of the most common non-felony charges in American life. If you go out and party at a bar, it is a good guess that one third of everyone in that bar with you drove a car, and that half of the people in that bar are at least one drink over the legal level of alcohol consumption.

Multiply that over a whole nation and Friday and Saturday night drives become more dangerous than walking thru a mine field.

Stallworth's mistake is a mistake that thousands of Americans make on a daily basis. Nobody makes this mistake with intent, but it causes more greef than we can imagine. It all starts with the stupidest comment that any person can make - "I can handle my alcohol."

If you drink and drive and you condemn Dante Stallworth, you best understand that only by the grace of God go you.
Home SuperBowl 2010

Atlanta, GA

#30 Jun 28, 2009
WildDUI! WildDUI! WildDUI!

Our Dolphins need to get Stallworth!

*****The JOKE BE FINS!*****

“STOP animal abuse”

Since: Dec 07

United States

#31 Jun 29, 2009
BravPhin wrote:
<quoted text>
You make great points, and I do not disagree with them. I do hope Stallworth is contrite. I am sure it will haunt him. But we dont know what is in his heart. Whether the sorrow he shows is real, or for show. We know he has millions of reasons to FAKE contriteness. Thats why I belive it is an INJUSTICE for him to get such a LIGHT sentance. And a LIGHT snetance it was. If I am Roger Goodell, I would take the lightness of the sentance that the criminal "justice" system doled out, and take that ito consideration, when dolong out the NFL suspension. What I would do, is add 3 months to the suspension. IF I thought 1 year in jail is what he should have got, then he would be suspended 1 year, 3 months. So what he DIDNT get as jail time, he gets in suspension time. That way, we can be sure, that he is Contrite! TRULY Contrite. Not just FAKING it to save him a few million dollars!
I think this is a good idea as it was the "example" he makes as a role model for the NFL.
I'm not taking up for the guy but he DID stop, call 911, and the money the Reyes family got may have been a nice settlement. Not that it takes their pain away. But the NFL should take note of this. I still think his INTENT was not to kill anyone. Mario Reyes did walk out in front of him. I see this all the time in Atlanta, I've nearly hit some immigrants on Buford Hwy
myself. And I don't drink at ALL. But it always amazes me how many people are darting across the road appearing not realizing their seconds away from getting NAILED!
I think Stallworth can go to AA and hire drivers from now on and be ok really. But for the publics sake, Goodell does need to make some kind of suspension.
Vick however should be banned FOREVER

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Donte Stallworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brady, Pats unstoppable (Jan '08) May '15 tom wingo 855
News New England Patriots working out Jabar Gaffney? (Jun '13) Jun '13 Rewind 1
News Tom Brady will have to adjust to new corps of r... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News For Patriots, 13 seasons of few words and many ... (Jan '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 4
News With Julian Edelman injured, Pats turn to Donte... (Dec '12) Dec '12 kevin 1
News New England Patriots re-sign Deion Branch (Dec '12) Dec '12 Bewitched 1
News New England Patriots release Deion Branch (Sep '12) Sep '12 Spyman 2
More from around the web