Goodell suspends Browns receiver Stal...

Goodell suspends Browns receiver Stallworth indefinitely

There are 30 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jun 19, 2009, titled Goodell suspends Browns receiver Stallworth indefinitely. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Donte Stallworth will get out of jail in four weeks. Now it's up to Roger Goodell to say when the Cleveland Browns receiver can return to the field.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
perspective

Orlando, FL

#1 Jun 19, 2009
Something tells me he'll be out for more than the six weeks pacman was given. This is national news with MADD implications if this suspension isn't appropriate to fit the crime. I'm guessing he'll be out at least two years.
Atl_Dolfan

Lithonia, GA

#2 Jun 19, 2009
Vick needed his lawyer, he gets two years for bank rolling dog fights, he (Stallworth) gets 30 DAYS in county jail for DUI MAN-SLAUGHTER, What in hades is going on.....Maybe Stallworth should have hit a dog...
Local Guy

Coral Gables, FL

#3 Jun 19, 2009
Atl_Dolfan wrote:
Vick needed his lawyer, he gets two years for bank rolling dog fights, he (Stallworth) gets 30 DAYS in county jail for DUI MAN-SLAUGHTER, What in hades is going on.....Maybe Stallworth should have hit a dog...
It does seem odd. However, intent shows Vick willingly killed dogs while Stallworth willingly got drunk...and then bad things happened. 30 days does seem like a light sentence.

People hate animal abusers more than people killers. Crazy?

Since: Apr 07

United States

#4 Jun 19, 2009
Atl_Dolfan wrote:
Maybe Vick should have owned up to the offense.

Stallworth did the best you could do with a bad situation. He stood up to the judge at the araignment and pled guilty. He also went to the family and settled with them immediately. He got good legal advise and did not duck the responsibilty of guilt.

Vick took every possible evasive legal manuver he could until his boys decided to give him up.

Still, look at what Stallworth will lose from this. This guy is under TEN years house arrest, he cannot drive a car for that same legnth of time, he must do thousands of hours of community service and now he must face a suspension that may see him sit out the entire season.

Still not enough for ya?

You're a tough judge!
Atl_Dolfan

Lithonia, GA

#5 Jun 19, 2009
MarkL5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Stallworth did the best you could do with a bad situation. He stood up to the judge at the araignment and pled guilty. He also went to the family and settled with them immediately. He got good legal advise and did not duck the responsibilty of guilt.

Vick took every possible evasive legal manuver he could until his boys decided to give him up.
Still, look at what Stallworth will lose from this. This guy is under TEN years house arrest, he cannot drive a car for that same legnth of time, he must do thousands of hours of community service and now he must face a suspension that may see him sit out the entire season.
Still not enough for ya?
You're a tough judge!
No, not enough,and yes I'm tough, because in Dade co. Dui Manslaughter carrys a 4 year manditory sentence. Yes he did do all the right things, any joe blow would have gotten the MAX...
the PHINALEE

Hacienda Heights, CA

#6 Jun 19, 2009
What,30 days!
Try to explain that to the victims family wih a straight face...JUDGE.

Since: Jun 07

Suwanee, GA

#8 Jun 19, 2009
MarkL5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Still not enough for ya?
You're a tough judge!
IF it was the average joe, he would have gotten ALOT more than 30 days. IS that tough? Yes. It should be. House arrest for a guy whose house is likely a mansion compared to the rest of ours? WHO CARES? Does he need to drive? No! He can afford to PAY peopel to drive him around, which makes his offence THAT MUCH worse than the average JOES who cant afford Limo service, liek DANTE STALLWORTH can!
Yet the judge let him off the hook with a LIGHT sentance, because, for the same reason that he can afford LIMO service to drive him around when he is drinking, HE HAS TONS OF MONEY!
And YES, I do think the accidental death of a human, caused by such a stupid, and totally irresponsible, as well as AVOIDABLE act , is WORSE than the intentional killing of a DOG, like was Vicks case.
Maybe Vick gets a lighter sentance had he been honest, and forthcoming, but STALLWORTH should have got what VICK did being HONEST.
You or I would have.
Amazed

Pleasanton, CA

#9 Jun 19, 2009
the PHINALEE wrote:
What,30 days!
Try to explain that to the victims family wih a straight face...JUDGE.
The victims family is OK with it. They already settled with Stallworth.
Amazed

Pleasanton, CA

#10 Jun 19, 2009
Atl_Dolfan wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not enough,and yes I'm tough, because in Dade co. Dui Manslaughter carrys a 4 year manditory sentence. Yes he did do all the right things, any joe blow would have gotten the MAX...
The average Joe would get the max because he would have a public defender, and he wouldn't be able to buy the victims family. When you get some money you'll understand.
ocala rob

Windermere, FL

#11 Jun 19, 2009
it all boil's down to "causation" the prosecuter in the case would have to prove that his being drunk directly caused the death, evidently the prosecuter didn't feel confident due to the mitigating factor's that he stopped, was not speeding and the pedestrian was not in the crosswalk! so instead of a lengthy trial that may result in him walking they cut a deal which might be better than a trial!! he couldve walked!! now 2yrs house arrest!! 8 yrs probation!! no license!! and i assume he cant drink!
i'm wondering what the vegas odds are that he violates!!!
go cat
Raymond

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jun 20, 2009
I HATE drunk driver. But I have to say. At les this man was not like Randy Moss when he hit a police officer and kept going. Mr. Stallworth at less stop and try to help the man he just hit. To me he did everything a person should do when the have any kind of an accident. He did seattle with the family. MADD mother are takeing this one to far and I hope the N.F.L don't let MADD set the police for Mr.Stallworth.
ocala rob wrote:
it all boil's down to "causation" the prosecuter in the case would have to prove that his being drunk directly caused the death, evidently the prosecuter didn't feel confident due to the mitigating factor's that he stopped, was not speeding and the pedestrian was not in the crosswalk! so instead of a lengthy trial that may result in him walking they cut a deal which might be better than a trial!! he couldve walked!! now 2yrs house arrest!! 8 yrs probation!! no license!! and i assume he cant drink!
i'm wondering what the vegas odds are that he violates!!!
go cat
Raymond

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Jun 20, 2009
Sorry for the mis spell words. Very hard to see with my eyes.
the PHINALEE

Hacienda Heights, CA

#14 Jun 20, 2009
Amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess money does talk!
Pago Pago Trojan

Starkville, MS

#15 Jun 20, 2009
Amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as rev. wright, rev. al and rev jesse said ok, then it's OK!
Sean

Gainesville, VA

#16 Jun 20, 2009
30 days for manslaughter WOW and they say justice is blind. BS if you have Money you get your freedom if I hit a Man and he dies and Im over the legal limit the DA goes after me with every thing he has got, I go to jail for a long time but if I have the money i can buy off the victims family and the DA goes along with it. Justice is about fairness you treat everyone equal but that is not the case here, Stallworth is treated as a higher person that they would treat me.
ocala rob

Windermere, FL

#17 Jun 20, 2009
Sean wrote:
30 days for manslaughter WOW and they say justice is blind. BS if you have Money you get your freedom if I hit a Man and he dies and Im over the legal limit the DA goes after me with every thing he has got, I go to jail for a long time but if I have the money i can buy off the victims family and the DA goes along with it. Justice is about fairness you treat everyone equal but that is not the case here, Stallworth is treated as a higher person that they would treat me.
every case is different, they didnt ease up on stallworth just because he had money! and restitution to the victim's family takes a backseat to protecting the public!! the law reads that they have to prove "causation" and the fact's of this case it would have been hard to prove this (as earlier stated) if he continued his not guilty plea they just might have dismissed the whole thing!! he was nervous that being found guilty could cost him 15 yrs!! the d.a. had nothing just threats!!! they couldnt prove that him being drunk directly caused this man's death!! i really think if he fight's this he walk's! evidently he didn't want to take the chance. the prosecuter did great in this case!! 2yr's h.a., 8 yr's prob, cant drive, cant drink, lost his job,took care of vic's family, the odd's are that he will violate gambling with 15yrs of your life aint easy, but he very likely would have walked!!!
truth

Pompano Beach, FL

#18 Jun 20, 2009
O.J. got nothing for murder.
ocala rob

Windermere, FL

#19 Jun 20, 2009
truth wrote:
O.J. got nothing for murder.
true but where is he now!! justice caught up with him!! just like it will with stallworth when and if he violates prob!! maybe being drunk wasnt the direct cause of the man's death! but he shouldnt have been behind the wheel!!! and if he wasnt that man would be alive today.
Drink On

United States

#20 Jun 20, 2009
Just another Florida thug getting away with something, whats new!!!

Since: Apr 07

United States

#21 Jun 22, 2009
BravPhin wrote:
<quoted text>
IF it was the average joe, he would have gotten ALOT more than 30 days. IS that tough? Yes. It should be. House arrest for a guy whose house is likely a mansion compared to the rest of ours? WHO CARES? Does he need to drive? No! He can afford to PAY peopel to drive him around, which makes his offence THAT MUCH worse than the average JOES who cant afford Limo service, liek DANTE STALLWORTH can!
Yet the judge let him off the hook with a LIGHT sentance, because, for the same reason that he can afford LIMO service to drive him around when he is drinking, HE HAS TONS OF MONEY!
And YES, I do think the accidental death of a human, caused by such a stupid, and totally irresponsible, as well as AVOIDABLE act , is WORSE than the intentional killing of a DOG, like was Vicks case.
Maybe Vick gets a lighter sentance had he been honest, and forthcoming, but STALLWORTH should have got what VICK did being HONEST.
You or I would have.
The legal system works FOR you in the US if you have the monitary means to get the best representation.

SURPRISE!!!

Why is this such a revelation now? The fact is a life has been lost and though this was a criminal act, it was not done with PREMEDITATION. That is why Stallworth did not face a murder charge.

In the case of Mike Vick, premeditation and CONSPIRACY weighed heavily against him. Somebody asked for the difference and that is the difference. To tell you the truth, Stallworth vs. Vick is apples vs. oranges.

People get arrested, tried and convicted in this land everyday. They either have the money to get the best defense they can or they don't. The jails and prisions of this land are overcrowded with those who cannot afford the best defense, and if Stallworth and Vick were not rich men, then they too would be among the mass poor who get the worst judgements against them.

Rich men in the history of this land have gotten away with much more than Stallworth and Vick have.
It kills me that people get bent out of shape over the CELEBRITY of people in these cases. And this is what this is all about, the fact that Stallworth and Vick are NAMES. Its easy to point to them and forget that those who get convicted in this land (even if innocent) never get this kind of publicity before they spend twenty years of their lives in jail.

Stallworth must now LIVE with the fact that his actions took a human life.

In all of this conversation, this was never brought up. If he is indeed a contrite individual, that is the jail he is going to the grave with. That is the prision he has to live with for the rest of his life.

Some would call that justice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Donte Stallworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brady, Pats unstoppable (Jan '08) May '15 tom wingo 855
News New England Patriots working out Jabar Gaffney? (Jun '13) Jun '13 Rewind 1
News Tom Brady will have to adjust to new corps of r... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News For Patriots, 13 seasons of few words and many ... (Jan '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 4
News With Julian Edelman injured, Pats turn to Donte... (Dec '12) Dec '12 kevin 1
News New England Patriots re-sign Deion Branch (Dec '12) Dec '12 Bewitched 1
News New England Patriots release Deion Branch (Sep '12) Sep '12 Spyman 2
More from around the web