Vick and Stallworth cases 'apples and...

Vick and Stallworth cases 'apples and oranges', expert says

There are 93 comments on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution story from Jun 22, 2009, titled Vick and Stallworth cases 'apples and oranges', expert says. In it, Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that:

The question - repeated countless times on Twitter, sportstalk radio and across the Internet the last 24 hours - goes like this: How can Donte' Stallworth get 30 days while Michael Vick got 23 months? Stallworth, the Cleveland Browns wide receiver, pleaded guilty Tuesday to DUI manslaughter for killing pedestrian Mario Reyes while driving drunk in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
DOWHATITDO2U2

Wyoming, MI

#2 Jun 22, 2009
The question - repeated countless times on Twitter, sportstalk radio and across the Internet the last 24 hours - goes like this:

How can Donte' Stallworth get 30 days while Michael Vick got 23 months?

Apples vs. Oranges "expert's" say?

Human vs. Dog?

23 months vs. 30 days?

Goodell vs. The Law?

Well, Goodell seems to have found the common ground - indefinite suspension of both.

Now let's see what happens once Donte' is released. If he is reinstated, then Mike Vick should also be reinstated.
Randy

Powell, OH

#3 Jun 22, 2009
These cases are VERY, VERY different. Involuntary manslaughter vs. "countless" animals being tortured. Stallworth not only couldn't avoid it, he stopped and called the police. He showed completely different character. But he would have gotten more time if the Hispanic construction worker had been a US citizen. I would be comfortable with Stallworth being reinstated. He didn't exactly get out of the car and torture undocumented people in unspeakable ways.
DOWHATITDO2U2

Detroit, MI

#4 Jun 25, 2009
No, they aren't. They are both crimes.
anonymous

Myrtle Beach, SC

#5 Jun 25, 2009
Wrong
So true. People jump to conclusions without ALL the facts. Shouldn't he be commended because he did the right thing AND accepted the consequences. He knew he could be facing jail time but didn't run like most people would.
Ban him

Myrtle Beach, SC

#6 Jun 25, 2009
anonymous wrote:
Wrong
So true. People jump to conclusions without ALL the facts. Shouldn't he be commended because he did the right thing AND accepted the consequences. He knew he could be facing jail time but didn't run like most people would.
I like Stallworth

“Be Kind to Animals”

Since: Nov 07

Nelson, VA

#7 Jun 25, 2009
DOWHATITDO2U2 wrote:
No, they aren't. They are both crimes.
All crimes are NOT equal. That's why there are different punishments for each individual crime. Speeding is a crime. Should someone who drives 10 miles over the speed limit get the same punishment as someone who drives 20 miles over the speed limit and causes an accident? Of course not. Just because Stallworth and Vick both committed crimes means they should get the exact same punishment. At least Stallworth didn't lie, tried to help the victim and paid a hefty amount of money to the family VOLUNTARILY! When Vick was caught, he lied his azz off, claimed no responsibility, tried to dump all the blame on his buddies and only confessed when he had no choice left. He only paid out what he was FORCED to pay. Stallworth acted like a man and accepted responsibility for what he did. Vick acted like a punk. There simply is no comparison.
Torrie

Detroit, MI

#9 Jun 26, 2009
And to equate drinking and driving with animal torture is completely insane. I doubt that poor immigrant family was as mad as some Vick fans looking for a reason to whine about him. I'm sure they were sad and heartbroken yes. But when they knew he darted out to get to the bus, I'm sure they didn't say,"oh Mario died, maybe someone should let Micjael Vick play!"
I H8 PETA Punks

Rock Hill, SC

#10 Jun 29, 2009
I can't believe some of the mess I'm reading on here. You mean to tell me driving while intoxicated three times the legal limit and killing someone in the process is okay just as long as you say you did it? That is just plain crazy. I promise you that construction worker's family doesn't feel that way, and forget the money they would rather have their family member back(I hope at least). I don't agree with what Mike Vick did but really who is really missing those dogs right now? No one cause they were his and his alone he didn't go into other peoples yards and steal their pets and murder them. Society needs to get a grip on reality! When did a dogs life come to mean more than a humans?
Bernice

United States

#11 Jun 29, 2009
The crimes were completely different. I assure you the dogs suffered much more than he did.
R u serious

United States

#12 Jun 29, 2009
The question still remains. Is a dogs life worth more than a humans? I feel that both parties were wrong but let's be honest a hard working man that contributes to society was killed!
Rachael

United States

#13 Jun 29, 2009
The intent was different.
Vick's wasn't. He didn't get NEAR what he deserved.
Stallworth admitted guilt,called 911. Also,he didn't electrocute,burn,drown,hang Mario Reyes.
Reyes was jaywalking.
Stallworth is 100 time more of a man tthan Vick will ever be.
These two cases have NOTHING to do with each other.
BeckysBrainOnDru gs

Detroit, MI

#14 Jun 29, 2009
Some people know more about drunks than others apparently.
R U Serious

New York, NY

#15 Jun 29, 2009
Rachael wrote:
Stallworth admitted guilt,called 911. Also,he didn't electrocute,burn,drown,hang Mario Reyes.
Reyes was jaywalking.
Stallworth is the one that didn't get what he deserved. He was almost three times the legal limit and decided to drive his car. Even if Reyes was jay walking it doesn't give someone the right to take his life and not have any consequences for their actions. Being a man has nothing to do with either one of these cases. What you people aren't getting is that a man died because of another's negligent behaviour. Put yourself in the Reyes family's position and see how you feel about Stallworth being a man and getting only 30 days.
Dan R

United States

#16 Jun 29, 2009
Rachael wrote:
Reyes was jaywalking.
And reyes family AGREED to the money
Nick College Student

Independence, OR

#17 Jun 29, 2009
Rachael wrote:
Reyes was jaywalking.
-f'ing brainless.
Nick College Student

Independence, OR

#18 Jun 29, 2009
Dan R wrote:
<quoted text>And reyes family AGREED to the money
-of course they did!!

Once they found out their family member was hit and killed by not just any broke drunk guy, but rather (drum-roll, please)...a rich NFL player in a six-figure car (ta-da!) they saw dollar signs!!! They "didnt want anymore pain" my ass!! What a played-out excuse for people who see dollar-signs in such unfortunate situations.

That is the deceased mans family slapping him in the face, taking the money, and running. If Stallworth were a broke dude nobody heard of, they would be pressing maximum charges!! But I guess money can help them cope, heal, etc.(f'ing fakes)
Trish

United States

#19 Jun 29, 2009
Yourself?
Nick College Student

Independence, OR

#20 Jun 29, 2009
Rachael wrote:
Reyes was jaywalking.
And if your name is Rachel (traditionally a girls name...), WTF would you know about being a "man"?! What you see in tv commercials?!
Nick College Student

Independence, OR

#21 Jun 29, 2009
Bernice wrote:
The crimes were completely different. I assure you the dogs suffered much more than he did.
-the dogs may have suffered more, but the other case involves a DEAD HUMAN-BEING. Humans or dogs? Apparently you choose dogs.
No dogfighting

United States

#22 Jun 29, 2009
The Reyes family chose the money. Reyes walked out in front of a speeding vehicle. There is no contest. Vick still went to prison where he was supposed to go.
Reyes wasn't tortured.
No matter how many crimes you try to somehow "compare"to Vick's , it doesnt add up. why now after two year of this ridiculous human/animal argument that has only made people even madder at Vick would anyone come up with this now.
Stallworth showed character just like it says in the article,
Hell,if I were hit jaywalking, I wouldn't want you to let Vick go free or play ball.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Donte Stallworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brady, Pats unstoppable (Jan '08) May '15 tom wingo 855
News New England Patriots working out Jabar Gaffney? (Jun '13) Jun '13 Rewind 1
News Tom Brady will have to adjust to new corps of r... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News For Patriots, 13 seasons of few words and many ... (Jan '13) Apr '13 Laughing Bear Fan 4
News With Julian Edelman injured, Pats turn to Donte... (Dec '12) Dec '12 kevin 1
News New England Patriots re-sign Deion Branch (Dec '12) Dec '12 Bewitched 1
News New England Patriots release Deion Branch (Sep '12) Sep '12 Spyman 2
More from around the web