NFL: Grant jumps into Rams' all-OSU l...

NFL: Grant jumps into Rams' all-OSU linebacker corps | BuckeyeXtra

There are 29 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Aug 20, 2010, titled NFL: Grant jumps into Rams' all-OSU linebacker corps | BuckeyeXtra. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Rams linebacker Larry Grant, leveling Jaymar Johnson of the Vikings, will line up with ex-Buckeyes James Laurinaitis and Na'il Diggs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Smart Guy

Columbus, OH

#1 Aug 20, 2010
The question is why does Bobby Carpenter stink?
George - Ocala FL

Lady Lake, FL

#2 Aug 20, 2010
So now what becomes of Bobby Carpenter??? Is he going to make it in the NFL, or will he be playing piano in some lounge?????? The guy was blessed with great talent, and seemed to have the heart and the energy to be a good NFL player, but it doesn't seem to be happening for him??????????
Tony

Mesa, AZ

#3 Aug 20, 2010
Smart guy......Bobby Carpenter is in the NFL but stinks???? How many downs have you played in the NFL? And how much money did you make during your pro stint? I hardly think he stinks. For that matter, there's not an NFL player that stinks. Poor choice of words.

“Defecting to Mexico”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#4 Aug 20, 2010
Carpenter is a 3-4 linebacker not a 4-3 guy. He's a little too slow for the 4-3 and a not strong enough to play defensive end. He's a tweener, that's why he has trouble find a spot.
Tony

Mesa, AZ

#5 Aug 20, 2010
For the record.....Bobby Carpenter makes close to one million a year. Not the highest paid NFL linebacker by a long shot, but still. I wouldn't mind stinking on my job for that salary.
maxwell

Bellaire, OH

#6 Aug 20, 2010
Bobby C was way overdrafted he was a 3rd or 4th rounder at best, but being a first round pick has high expectations, which he can't live up to, he is a servicable NFL player but not 1st round talent, anyway congrats to Larry Grant
Billy Bango Bongo

Newark, OH

#7 Aug 20, 2010
Yep, this really shows how Bugeye fans are. You have a player who goes from OSU to the NFL with the Cowboys who have had as much talent in LB depth as any team and you have all this haterade being thrown at BC. So evidently he sucks says all these Bugeye fans who are such experts at evaluating football talent. Yep, let the hate flow towards one of your own, Bugeyes fan. You know it. I know it.
not so fast my friend

Columbus, OH

#8 Aug 20, 2010
Billy Bango Bongo wrote:
Yep, this really shows how Bugeye fans are. You have a player who goes from OSU to the NFL with the Cowboys who have had as much talent in LB depth as any team and you have all this haterade being thrown at BC. So evidently he sucks says all these Bugeye fans who are such experts at evaluating football talent. Yep, let the hate flow towards one of your own, Bugeyes fan. You know it. I know it.
I gotta second that. I think people were reading way too many fan blogs in cowboy country, where they were too ignorant to understand his value in a very deep system there. Really, do you think Parcells drafts the guy and he sticks around as long as he did, with significant contributions on special teams and 3rd down packages, when he plain stinks? NO WAY.

With that being said, I do sense a lack of ferocity in his play and see more whiffs on tackles than a guy with his physique and speed at the position of linebacker should have. I don't mean to go back on my earlier comments, but he far from stinks....just wish had had a little more Ray Lewis in him and a little less Barbie, to borrow an old Cowboy teammate nickname.
Random

Columbus, OH

#9 Aug 20, 2010
Billy Bango Bongo wrote:
Go back and actually READ the previous posts, then tell me again how many were truly critical of Carpenter. Contrary to "all these Bugeye fans" you cite, it was exactly ONE (I'll even give you a hint - it was the very first one; the others either disagreed or cited his positive attributes while noting he's not yet been a standout pro). A little reading comprehension goes a long way.

As you yourself prove time and time again, there is always at least one idiot in the crowd. You know it. I know it.
TNBuckeye

Murfreesboro, TN

#10 Aug 20, 2010
Random wrote:
<quoted text>
Go back and actually READ the previous posts, then tell me again how many were truly critical of Carpenter. Contrary to "all these Bugeye fans" you cite, it was exactly ONE (I'll even give you a hint - it was the very first one; the others either disagreed or cited his positive attributes while noting he's not yet been a standout pro). A little reading comprehension goes a long way.
As you yourself prove time and time again, there is always at least one idiot in the crowd. You know it. I know it.
They really do not test reading comprehension until high school. Billy, starts middle school in two weeks. Hopefully, he picks up this skill.
buckeyejohnny

Greenville, SC

#11 Aug 20, 2010
Way to go Grant!! I like JL, but I have long proposed that Grant was the best LB of the 3 during his brief stay at OSU... He's legit!

Fargin Bastages

“This is fargin war!”

Since: Apr 10

Lewis Center, OH

#13 Aug 20, 2010
This explains why the Rams defense sucks!

Football Buckeye's just can't seem to get the job done in the NFL. Can anybody explain why?
Jon H

Columbus, OH

#14 Aug 20, 2010
Bobby Carpentar = near future night assistant manager at the local Citgo
maxwell

United States

#15 Aug 20, 2010
Jon H wrote:
Bobby Carpentar = near future night assistant manager at the local Citgo
Yeah..........but he will still be your boss!

“Bleeding Scarlet and Gray!”

Since: Sep 09

Worthington

#16 Aug 20, 2010
Random wrote:
<quoted text>
Billy is upset he sees the writing on the wall that Nebraska is coming into a conference where teams match up against his own with the same style of play and they still aren't going to be great. He is upset over the last 10 years of mediocre football his team has been playing. You know it. I know it.
Random

Columbus, OH

#17 Aug 20, 2010
FLABUCK wrote:
<quoted text>
Billy is upset he sees the writing on the wall that Nebraska is coming into a conference where teams match up against his own with the same style of play and they still aren't going to be great. He is upset over the last 10 years of mediocre football his team has been playing. You know it. I know it.
I knew it.

He's a troll (you know it, I know it) but on rare occasions chimes in with interesting, non-obnoxious observations. Wish we could get more of those instead of the pseudo-thug crap above...

Thanks for the laugh!
Ace

Astoria, NY

#18 Aug 20, 2010
Good to see the OSU linebackers doing well after the catastrophe of former 1st round pick Vernon Gholston here for the New York Jets.
TNBuckeye

Murfreesboro, TN

#19 Aug 20, 2010
Fargin Bastages wrote:
This explains why the Rams defense sucks!
Football Buckeye's just can't seem to get the job done in the NFL. Can anybody explain why?
Your name shows that you are still living in the early 1980's. That explains your lack of knowledge about football. There are 47 OSU players currently on NFL rosters. I have to believe that OSU players are getting it done in the NFL>
Suckeyes

Zanesville, OH

#20 Aug 20, 2010
Three OSU linebackers starting for the Rams!!! No wonder they stink.
Harry

Columbus, OH

#21 Aug 20, 2010
TNBuckeye wrote:
<quoted text>
Your name shows that you are still living in the early 1980's. That explains your lack of knowledge about football. There are 47 OSU players currently on NFL rosters. I have to believe that OSU players are getting it done in the NFL>
How many are starting or considered top tier talent.The answer is very few.The QB in New England has accomplished more then all the Buckeyes in the NFL combined.I know for a fact more former Michigan players are starting then Bucks players.The NFL is hip to this now as you saw in last years draft they aren't falling for the system players that don't translate to the NFL.

Bobby Carpenter will never be a starting LB in the NFL.He is waaaaaay too slow to keep a starting job.He'll be cut and out of the league in a year or two.Grant has a shot and JL is the best LB to come out of OSU since Spielman.I thought Hawk was good but in typical Buckeye fashion he fizzled in the NFL.

After Brandon Graham wins the rookie defensive player of the year this season let's compare him to Vernon Gholston.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Donnie Jones Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Carson Wentz, Jay Cutler headline joint practic... Aug '17 Pants phartzs 4
News Shane Lechler ecstatic about signing with Houst... (Mar '13) Mar '13 TexasRaider 5
News NFL Pro Bowl Voting: Chris Long Deserves Your Vote (Dec '11) Dec '11 Tony Romo 1
News Bob Sansevere: Two things with Minnesota Viking... (Jan '09) Jan '09 Justin Sider 1
News Penaltygate? Rams send tape to NFL over non-cal... (Nov '08) Nov '08 RHETMAN 2
News Green checks out OK, considers Rams' offer (Mar '08) Mar '08 oscar herrera 1
News Unsigned players will practice (Apr '07) Feb '08 42540bbc 10
More from around the web