Dolphins' Donnie Jones agrees to sign...

Dolphins' Donnie Jones agrees to sign offer sheet with Rams

There are 46 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Apr 12, 2007, titled Dolphins' Donnie Jones agrees to sign offer sheet with Rams. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

It appears the Dolphins will head into the 2007 season without punter Donnie Jones, who agreed to sign an offer sheet by the St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
KAMO

AOL

#41 Apr 14, 2007
The Phins HAVE to match this offer. Donnie Jones will be in the Pro Bowl within 3 years. he is close now
KAMO

AOL

#42 Apr 14, 2007
phintim wrote:
Shula stood pat and picked up Dan Marinio when he slid to 22nd pick 1st round, Dwight Stephenson center 2nd round, Jason Taylor slid to the 3rd round, Zack Thomas to slid to the 5th round, Richmond Webb was a 9th pick 1st round pick, Sims guard 2nd round, Patrick Surtain 2nd round, Sam Madison 2nd round, Darell Gardener slid to the 16th pick 1st round, John Oferdall 2nd round and Chris Chambers 2nd round. All theses players plus a few I missed were Dolphin picks and were named all Pro. Most were 2nd rounders too! Look at the history unless a great one slides down trade down! There are at this point maybe 3 players that might be great in this draft.
Yes Marino was the 27th pick...Also Sam Madison was a third rd pick not a second and you did not mention TE Randy McMichael who was a 4th rd pick
KAMO

AOL

#43 Apr 14, 2007
Rick wrote:
<quoted text> 8th in the AFC is middle of the pack. And he had a huge dropoff from his rookie year in net punting, which directly measures field position. He's an average punter.
8th in the AFc is a direct result of punting from the 40-50 yard line approximately 70% of the time due to an anemic offense that failed MANY times to cross mid field...This is also the reason for Olindo Mare having a career low FG % because he had to attempt so many from over 45 yards
KAMO

AOL

#44 Apr 14, 2007
Mare led the NFL in touchbacks on kickoffs and Jones was #1 by a long shot in punts inside the 20. Both of these facts speak of the skill of these two kickers
KAMO

AOL

#45 Apr 14, 2007
Adowale Ogunleye was undrafted
Hopeful Dolfan

United States

#46 Apr 15, 2007
Jones was so good in 2005, and even in 2006 he was still good at getting kicks inside the 20. I'm not sure why his net avg dropped off, though; maybe he was pooching it more often, because I think the Dolphins' punt coverage teams were OK. (He won't be pooching it much in 2007, though, not with this offense.) As long as he can still get the job done, then I think the Dolphins should keep him, even at a $1M-plus annual rate; he is definitely the best punter they have had since Roby (RIP).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Donnie Jones Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Carson Wentz, Jay Cutler headline joint practic... Aug 23 Pants phartzs 4
News Shane Lechler ecstatic about signing with Houst... (Mar '13) Mar '13 TexasRaider 5
News NFL Pro Bowl Voting: Chris Long Deserves Your Vote (Dec '11) Dec '11 Tony Romo 1
News NFL: Grant jumps into Rams' all-OSU linebacker ... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Random 29
News Bob Sansevere: Two things with Minnesota Viking... (Jan '09) Jan '09 Justin Sider 1
News Penaltygate? Rams send tape to NFL over non-cal... (Nov '08) Nov '08 RHETMAN 2
News Green checks out OK, considers Rams' offer (Mar '08) Mar '08 oscar herrera 1
More from around the web