Pete Dougherty column: Short passes m...

Pete Dougherty column: Short passes may revive Green Bay Packers' offense

There are 10 comments on the WisInfo story from Oct 21, 2009, titled Pete Dougherty column: Short passes may revive Green Bay Packers' offense. In it, WisInfo reports that:

In the early 1990s, Mike Holmgren's Green Bay Packers couldn't run the ball. Not with any kind of consistency, anyway.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WisInfo.

wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#1 Oct 21, 2009
Grant's play might be proving why TT was a little hesitate to give him that contract that "WE" the fans were so demanding after the 2007 season. Many were calling TT cheap because he wanted to get another season to evaluate before the big money. Grant is not that same player that came on the scene. He is ok I would say, and would definitely be more effective if we had a better line. I put the blame on MM and the coaches for the scheme they are "attempting" to run....this "zone" blocking scheme is a joke. If we lose Rodgers because of all the hits, we're doomed and MM should be fired. TT has given him the players so there is no excuse.
vikes

Bancroft, WI

#2 Oct 21, 2009
May revive the passing game. But how will the fans beable to rave about the stat masters stats then. All we have heard was how Favre only those short and Rodgers does not. And your coaches better get the QB to speed up. Which he says he wouldn't change. Wants to wait and go deep to often. Now when Rodgers goes 20 0f 25 or so and only 200 yards .I predict that you fans will say thats great. But wait those stats will not happen .GB can't run the ball. Lets hear some excuses
Danger D

Ipswich, SD

#3 Oct 21, 2009
vikes wrote:
May revive the passing game. But how will the fans beable to rave about the stat masters stats then. All we have heard was how Favre only those short and Rodgers does not. And your coaches better get the QB to speed up. Which he says he wouldn't change. Wants to wait and go deep to often. Now when Rodgers goes 20 0f 25 or so and only 200 yards .I predict that you fans will say thats great. But wait those stats will not happen .GB can't run the ball. Lets hear some excuses
You're incoherent.
Danger D

Ipswich, SD

#4 Oct 21, 2009
We do need to get back to the slants and screens that made the Packers famous.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#5 Oct 21, 2009
wal0645 wrote:
Grant's play might be proving why TT was a little hesitate to give him that contract that "WE" the fans were so demanding after the 2007 season. Many were calling TT cheap because he wanted to get another season to evaluate before the big money. Grant is not that same player that came on the scene. He is ok I would say, and would definitely be more effective if we had a better line. I put the blame on MM and the coaches for the scheme they are "attempting" to run....this "zone" blocking scheme is a joke. If we lose Rodgers because of all the hits, we're doomed and MM should be fired. TT has given him the players so there is no excuse.
Make up your mind. TT was smart to sign Grant or he wasn't. You seem critical of TT signing Grant and we know TT has failed to build an O-line, but you say TT has given MM the players needed to win. I agree that if TT did a great job bringing in players, then he sucked bringing in a coach. I don't want him hiring the next one.

TT needs to go either way. He's responsible for everything and everyone you seem to be pointing fingers at. The Packers should hire someone that will do it right next time.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#6 Oct 21, 2009
If you read earlier posts, you would know TT has his pluses and minuses. RB is a minus in my view because Grant is ok, but both Jackson and Wynne are not. Both get hurt too much and are not dependable. MM is becoming another minus after this last game of 13 penalties and the offensive blocking scheme is an utter failure. Other than that we have good WR's, TE's, d-linemen, CB's, LB's, safeties, kicker who are most guys TT brought in. We also have another one in the key position of QB in Rodgers. GBPfan; you are a dope plain and simple.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#7 Oct 21, 2009
If noticing that Ted Thompson brought losing and failure to Green Bay is dopey, I guess you're right. You obviously haven't noticed or don't care. What's that make you? A Viking fan perhaps?
gopackdelly

Toledo, OH

#8 Oct 21, 2009
i dunno how you can blame a coach for penalies. if you play football, you know what causes penalies: mental mistakes. now, i understand the blocking scheme is prolly not the greates; obviously. maybe we will see a change, if not, its time for a new coaching change. ryan grant is a great back. but this is the nfl. running backs like a.p. of the vikes are freaks of nature, for everyone else, they need BLOCKING. plain and simple. i dunno how you can expect any running back to overcome "deficient blocking". you cant. you dont block well, you dont run well. you dont run well, you have to throw almost every down. and when you cant keep the quarterback safe, that is a serious problem. i dunno what goes on exactly in the minds of the gm and coach, and i dont pretend to know, but some changes gotta be made on the o line, scheme or players or both. until then, backs like grant we be "ok" until hes on a team with better blocking and a more reliable running game and hes a "standout" back, and every foolish packer fan will ask "why didnt he do that here!?"
Pack Fan in Sea of Purple

Rogers, MN

#9 Oct 22, 2009
gopackdelly wrote:
i dunno how you can blame a coach for penalies. if you play football, you know what causes penalies: mental mistakes.
You have obviously never played football, or any sport for that matter. It is the coach's job to make sure the players are mentally prepared for the game. Sloppy play, which includes excessive penalties, is a direct reflection on the coaching staff and their inability to effectively prepare the players.
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#10 Oct 22, 2009
Pack Fan in Sea of Purple wrote:
<quoted text>
You have obviously never played football, or any sport for that matter. It is the coach's job to make sure the players are mentally prepared for the game. Sloppy play, which includes excessive penalties, is a direct reflection on the coaching staff and their inability to effectively prepare the players.
Exactly. MM should bench guys who are not mentally focused, I don't care who it is. I can see a mistake here and there, but every week? The coach needs to make these guys accountable for their mistakes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Donald Lee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Packers cut LB Hawk, 2 others (Mar '11) Mar '11 PackerBacker-Wich... 15
News Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: 'I like whe... (Nov '10) Nov '10 the dude 3
News Stiff back threatens Packers OL Colledge's star... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Kirkman 1
News Packers linebacker Clay Matthews likely out of ... (Oct '10) Oct '10 good 1
News Green Bay Packers now 3-2 after loss to Washing... (Oct '10) Oct '10 GBPfan 61
News Up next for the Miami Dolphins: Green Bay Packers (Oct '10) Oct '10 THERick 8
News Havner hopes to return soon (Jun '10) Jun '10 Jeremy 3
More from around the web