Chicago Bears tight ends, Matt Forte ...

Chicago Bears tight ends, Matt Forte more important than wide r...

There are 84 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 21, 2009, titled Chicago Bears tight ends, Matt Forte more important than wide r.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Nothing offers a reminder of how close NFL training camp is in Chicago quite like the sight of a grown man wearing a No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
I Hate The Cubs

Rhinelander, WI

#1 Jul 21, 2009
decent article UNTIL I got to the Vick blurb.......he deserves NOTHING

“Let's rock!!”

Since: Oct 07

Aurora, IL

#2 Jul 21, 2009
Bring Griese back? Why would Griese even consider it? He's made his fortune & doesn't need the hassle.

Also, I'm afraid that Cutler will grow mighty weary of the Smith/Turner dink & dunk offense. We need a WR...

Sorry, Dave, please pass me some of whatever it is you are smokin'!
Hank the Tank

Evanston, IL

#3 Jul 21, 2009
The WCO is a passing offense, and generally in the best WCO's you will see a stud WR. After all in this system the run sets up the pass.

As for Rogers being rated over Cutler by ESPN. I think Siefert is more concerned with looking good then being right. GB has a better offense then the Bears, they have a pair of quality recievers and a O-Line that is very good at pass blocking. Rogers may have better numbers at the end of the year in terms of yards. Rogers and Cutler are very similar in how they play but the big difference I have seen is that in 2 years Cutler has led his team to 7 come from behind wins against some really good teams. Rogers on the other hand has shown that he tends to choke in close games. How many 4th qt leads did the Pack blow last year? I think it was 5 or 6.
Hank the Tank

Evanston, IL

#4 Jul 21, 2009
Ooops I mean the pass sets up the run, sorry habit.
SDS

Glen Ellyn, IL

#5 Jul 21, 2009
If Griese is willing to comeback as a backup - why not? If the team is any good this year and for some reason Culter had to miss a game with playoff implications - do they really want to hand it over to someone with no experience?

As for not needing a WR... can we stop this nonsense. It's 2009, not 1969. You need a well rounded passing game and a group of decent WRs is vital. A TE and RB that can catch are gravy. I understand the Bears had to pay the price to get Cutler and maybe they wouldn't have the pieces to get a WR this season... But it has to be the top priority for next season!
Hmm

Chicago, IL

#6 Jul 21, 2009
I think the offense will be fine. They will come out rushing, which will requite the D to come up, then they go to the tight ends at which point the secondary will not be able to play over the top anymore, and then there will be single coverage on Hester, and boom, a bomb to Hester, touchdown.
E B F

Chicago, IL

#7 Jul 21, 2009
Wonder what would've happened last season if Hester's incentives payed out more on return production as opposed to receptions? Neither here nor there huh?
Tell ya what, a guy as talented as Hester can be deadly both ways, and absolutely lethal out of the backfield with the right person calling the game.
Devin's problem was going sideways and backwards instead of forward. If his lack of success was due to new blockers, please explain Manning's explosive kickoff returns. They used different people when Devin was out there? Maybe all of our receivers will shine this year. Especially Hester.
Bearsfan in Vikingsland

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jul 21, 2009
I gotta disagree with you on one point, David - "solid ESPN.com NFC North correspondent Kevin Seifert".

I respect the guy's football IQ, but he is a Vikings Homer and anti-Bear in every way possible. I don't expect him to be pro-Bears, but I expect him not to be anti-Bears - and the same goes for the Queens after he left the Star-Trib for ESPN.com . He doesn't have to hate the Purple just because I do, but he needs to quit with the slurping...he's supposed to be objective now.
Ugh

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Jul 21, 2009
Some of your good points are overshadowed by your steadfast allegiance to the "10 things I know" routine. This is especially annoying when one of the ten things is actuallly two unrelated topics a la the Hester commercial reference in the Urlacher conditioning point. Please stop using this tired template, Dave. You're a better journalist than that.
WI Bear

Baldwin, WI

#10 Jul 21, 2009
Brian Griese would be helpful in case of injury, and I'm hoping the Bears aren't even THINKING of considering Vick. The pet killer should go with the "rumor mill" Patriots so not only will they have the dirtiest cheaters, they'll also have the dirtiest individual (no matter what Rev. Dungy says!)
joe

Chicago, IL

#11 Jul 21, 2009
I like the quick hits format. I'm also okay with Haugh being a homer, but from time to time he drools a bit too much over the Bears. Parts of his article read like he's the team's spokesperson.

But for the most part, keep up the good work.
Haywood Jablomie

Ridgeland, MS

#12 Jul 21, 2009
What, no mention of the very active LANCE BRIGGS? Three kids by three different white women in 13 months takes some doing. That's veeeeeeery impressive. Hey Lance, they don't feel sooo bad...wear one nexxt time, it will save you millions!
Tyrone Washington III

Ridgeland, MS

#13 Jul 21, 2009
Dave, is Number 54 still chasing strippers? any truth that he had a brass pole installed in his Hummer Limo?
brett

Woodridge, IL

#14 Jul 21, 2009
No way Griese will come back to the Bears.
I spoke with lovie at the bears Expo.....He is VERY HIGH on Caleb
I am worried about that third stringer dude.
Cartman64

United States

#15 Jul 21, 2009
As expected, David Haugh you are stuck in the past like everyone else using this tired Bears formula. Matching Cutler to the current Bear receivers and offensive system is like buying an AMG Mercedes and using regular gas because that's all the owner can afford.
Rance Mohammitz

Espanola, NM

#16 Jul 21, 2009
What "I hate The Cubs" said. Time to get strict, VERY strict Goodell. Enough of this thug ([email protected] Can there be a major pro spot w/o all these criminals? Why the H#LL not.

PS - Relax everyone, JC will make the Bears a tonna mo fun to be a fan of.
Lionel Harrington

Austin, TX

#17 Jul 21, 2009
Again... the need for a WR is overblown hyperbole. The Bears bring a veteran receiver in now and Knox and Bennett sit on the bench and get about zero experience. Let those two young guys play so they can develop. The one thing they're both noted for is that when it comes their way they hang on to the ball. These two need the game time to learn how to beat off the corners, run the routes and get open. Because of Hester, Forte, and the TE's they'll be drawing single coverage and the lessor of the two d-backs just about every snap. At WR... game experience for what's already on the roster is the required prescription for this season.

There's other more important issues on this team that need to be addressed: Is Tommie Harris ever going to be back to the point where he requires two blockers and a running back to contain him? Or any of the other linemen for that matter. It's a situation that'll open up lanes for more successful runs at the opposing QB. For a team that blitzed as much as the Bears did last year, notice how it just about always got picked up? As opposed to the Vikes' Williams boys and Jared Allen, there wasn't a lineman on this Chicago team that regularly needed two or more blockers to consistently hold them up. And then Steltz at safety? The outsider reports say he's not fast enough. If Tillman and Vasher are tackling running backs this year, they end up back on the DL. Yeah. That's not a pathway to the Superbowl by any means.–LH
val

Aurora, IL

#18 Jul 22, 2009
Dave,

I know....

#1 - Did you ever hear of a well balanced offense? That said...you need wide outs that defenses respect. End of story.
#2 - I agree with you
#3 - I agree with you
#4 - I think you are mistaken about marinelli, the 0 and 16 coach. The problems on defense go much deeper. Fire lovie smith is what fans will be singing come December.
#5.- I agree on Urlacher. He may fail again because of the defensive scheme....playing him back and much like a safety. Bring back Ron Rivera and you will see a change.
#6.- Who cares.
#7.- Who cares. Make the comparison at the end of this next season. There will be more accuracy. Until then, all is meaningless when doing comparisons.
#8.- Meaningless statement. Hope he does come back. It would be a shame to win without playing against one of the best.
#9.- Wrong. Vick doesn't deserve a second chance.
10#.- Just another ploy by the health industry to stop the public health care option in the current bill being voted on in congress. The Bears organization should be ashamed of themselves for involving politics in this game.
Da Bearss

La Porte, IN

#19 Jul 22, 2009
SDS wrote:
If Griese is willing to comeback as a backup - why not?
Um, because he's WASHED! I would rather give the kids (Hanie and Basanez) a shot than waste a roster spot on a QB that's only good enough to lose. As for Vick, Goodell need to keep the punishment comin'. Tell him he can come back, but only for the Lions.
Da Bearss

La Porte, IN

#20 Jul 22, 2009
Oh yeah, and Favre in ViQueen land = NFC North title for a certain team known as...DA BEARSS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Devin Hester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutler sparkles, leads Bears over Falcons (Oct '14) Oct '14 VaJayna 2
News NFL Preseason 2014: Atlanta Falcons vs. Jackson... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Garbageuars 1
News Time For Brian Urlacher and Chicago Bears To Pa... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Steven 1
News Bears QB Cutler out at Redskins with groin injury (Oct '13) Oct '13 Mike Dickta 2
News Offense not clicking, Bears beat Chargers 33-28 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Go Blue Forever 1
News Darren Sharper Think the Bears Can Compete with... (Jun '13) Jul '13 DagoT 21
News The question:Who should be the Green Bay Packer... (Jun '13) Jun '13 GBPfan 6
More from around the web