Bears GM Jerry Angelo discusses his v...

Bears GM Jerry Angelo discusses his vision for the offense

There are 87 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 17, 2009, titled Bears GM Jerry Angelo discusses his vision for the offense. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Jerry Angelo has been the Bears' general manager for almost eight years. That's five years longer than Jerry Vainisi was GM, and about as long as Jim Finks was in charge.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Alex

Chicago, IL

#1 Jan 17, 2009
Jerry Angelo is completely clueless. Garrett Wolfe gets cleaned off his feet with one arm tackles.........Wolfe is a wasted 3rd round
draft pick.......he is only capable of being a fast special team player.

How many more 1st, 2nd & 3rd choices is this trainee Angelo going to blow???????? Angelo's drafting and Lovie the other trainee's coaching will ruin the Bears..
Andy H

Rockford, IL

#2 Jan 17, 2009
This guy is pathetic

"When you look around the league" Blah Blah Blah, nothing but a copy cat hack. He is a cheap option, the McKaskey's will never pay top billing for a real management team. I thought the excuses of not spending would go away with the new stadium, they duped us again

Please stop the insanity and the sell the team you low lifes
Mgray

Memphis, TN

#3 Jan 17, 2009
Wow.........silence should be this guys best friend.

Benson received some REAL coaching with the Bengals. Pretty simple really.
Bears fan in WI

Ladysmith, WI

#4 Jan 17, 2009
***Fixed***

What happened to Orton the second half of the season?

Well I think as a GM I really #$@%ed up here. I really should've tagged Berrian because there were no FA's out there worth bringing in. Take a look at what we did bring in. These players wouldn't have been starters on other teams but we forced them in as our starters because we had no back up plan. I will take full responsiblity on that because as a GM I should've known better. I will hold my self accountable for this blunder.....
Bears fan in WI

Ladysmith, WI

#5 Jan 17, 2009
Mgray, before you go putting Ced into the hall maybe you should really take a look at what he did: 3.5 yards a carry. That does not even put him in the top 40 in the league....
Rance Mohammitz

Elizabethtown, KY

#6 Jan 17, 2009
With his success record, why should anything angelo says be taken with anything more than a a Planck-size grain of salt?
macko14

Export, PA

#7 Jan 17, 2009
I can't stand his pompus attitude. After another poor draft and .500 record can we please get Cowher or someone who knows football to come in?
Greg

Batavia, IL

#8 Jan 17, 2009
macko14 wrote:
I can't stand his pompus attitude. After another poor draft and .500 record can we please get Cowher or someone who knows football to come in?
You don't like Forte and Harrison? We still don't know about Williams and Bennett. Last year's draft may turn out to be Angelo's best.
allchifan

United States

#9 Jan 17, 2009
Angelo should be fired....we are frustrated with his poor personnel decisions including coach, asst coaches, draft picks, our lousy offense and sloppy D....he simply stinks......worst GM in the busniness.....simply overmatched at draft table and free agency....his record speaks for itself.....FIRE HIM NOW
Ted Baxter

Chicago, IL

#10 Jan 17, 2009
I've got my own vision of next years offense: lots of punting.
JET

Woodbridge, VA

#11 Jan 17, 2009
What happened to Orton? Teams had film to study and were able to take advantage of his (and the offense's) shortcomings. He's a project that needs work with a good QB coach. He stares down receivers, his mechanics need work ... it's hard to tell how much upside he has. Time will tell. Yes, the team needs receiver help, but not even Fitzgerald and Boldin could make Orton a Warner at this point in his career.

In terms of the leadership, it doesn't look good. The GM and coach are clearly at odds, and neither seems to have a clear or comprehensive vision for how to build a strong franchise. I just hope that a Rex Ryan and a good GM is available after this experiment is over.
Mgray

Bogart, GA

#13 Jan 17, 2009
Bears fan in WI wrote:
Mgray, before you go putting Ced into the hall maybe you should really take a look at what he did: 3.5 yards a carry. That does not even put him in the top 40 in the league....
Lol....u cut a 1st round pick over BOGUS charges giving u nothing in return. Ced was effective 4 the Bengals and gave them something they did not have before he arrived.

How yards per carry did Forte average?
Ya da Ya da Ya da

Baldwin, WI

#14 Jan 17, 2009
I'm so tired of Angelo double-speak. It's not fair to us as fans (who buy the tickets, and the merchandise, and the baloney they feed us) and it's not fair to Orton. It must do wonders for his confidence.

Forte will get used & abused until they can't use him anymore.

Hey, if the Bucs can fire Gruden and eat his $16 million dollar contract, why can't the McCheapskates do the same (gotta get back on my meds, silly girl!)
ABE

San Diego, CA

#15 Jan 17, 2009
what were those weak questions how about why did you give urlacker that money when he is half the player he once was and why was the defense so pathetic and why have the bears been so bad at the skill positions since you have been gm and just like jouron and wandstedt and now lovie the team gets worse every year under these guys why cant you hire a real coach
Bill

Naperville, IL

#16 Jan 17, 2009

Still MORE backtracking by the Bear's confused cabal.

Jerry, the more you say ..... The LESS you say.

Daniel Young

Santa Cruz, CA

#17 Jan 17, 2009
ABE,

You are right, tribune reporters stink. These are dumb questions. Why is everyone so wrapped around the quarterback. You guys in this forum act like we just gave away walter payton to the Bengals when you are the same ones who said we needed to get rid of him a year ago and used words like bust. Then there is Berrian, Wade and Gage. These guys were crap as well. Maybe it was coaching, maybe not. But the fact is they still suck!! Get over it. You guys are horny for crappy players and what your eutopian bears team should be. Dent said it best. Chicago is a defensive town, always has been and always will be, quit trying to make your offensives dreams reality because it is not going to happen ever!!!!
Rob Cooper

Englewood, CO

#18 Jan 17, 2009
I just read that DE Julius Peppers (and his 14 1/2 sacks) will not re-sign with Carolina. Wouldn't he look good lining up with Tommy Harris and Alex Brown? Get off your worthless butt and get the guy, Angelo! Then cut Ogunlele, who gets run over (or commits a stupid offsides penalty) a dozen times for every good play he makes.
Neckbeard hater

Chicago, IL

#19 Jan 17, 2009
Daniel Young wrote:
ABE,
You are right, tribune reporters stink. These are dumb questions. Why is everyone so wrapped around the quarterback. You guys in this forum act like we just gave away walter payton to the Bengals when you are the same ones who said we needed to get rid of him a year ago and used words like bust. Then there is Berrian, Wade and Gage. These guys were crap as well. Maybe it was coaching, maybe not. But the fact is they still suck!! Get over it. You guys are horny for crappy players and what your eutopian bears team should be. Dent said it best. Chicago is a defensive town, always has been and always will be, quit trying to make your offensives dreams reality because it is not going to happen ever!!!!
This is the rambling of a clown
Daniel Young

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Jan 17, 2009
Let me guess neckbeard hater you are sad that we no longer have berrian and benson here.
J W Chi

Chicago, IL

#22 Jan 17, 2009
JET wrote:
What happened to Orton? Teams had film to study and were able to take advantage of his (and the offense's) shortcomings. He's a project that needs work with a good QB coach. He stares down receivers, his mechanics need work ... it's hard to tell how much upside he has. Time will tell. Yes, the team needs receiver help, but not even Fitzgerald and Boldin could make Orton a Warner at this point in his career.
In terms of the leadership, it doesn't look good. The GM and coach are clearly at odds, and neither seems to have a clear or comprehensive vision for how to build a strong franchise. I just hope that a Rex Ryan and a good GM is available after this experiment is over.
--------

I agree for the most part. However I would go one step higher than Angelo. What doe Ted Phillips do? What duties does he have, besides sitting in his swivel chair at his desk looking important.
I thought he has the power to make Team Decisions. Certainly he should be aware of the debacle they call the Bears. What has he done to right the ship? NADA!!

He could fire Angelo, Smith or who the he!! he wants or needs to correct the problem. But what does he do? He sits with Micheal McCaskey making comparisons on who has messed up the Bears more Ted or Micheal.

To Phillips, McCaskey, Angelo and Smith it appears to be a game (like whoopee how can we ruin it this year) running this club not a Championship Winning Football team.

When will Virginia get out the Axe sharpen it and let it fall on the deserving necks? Ten minutes from now would not be too soon!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Devin Hester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutler sparkles, leads Bears over Falcons (Oct '14) Oct '14 VaJayna 2
News NFL Preseason 2014: Atlanta Falcons vs. Jackson... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Garbageuars 1
News Time For Brian Urlacher and Chicago Bears To Pa... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Steven 1
News Bears QB Cutler out at Redskins with groin injury (Oct '13) Oct '13 Mike Dickta 2
News Offense not clicking, Bears beat Chargers 33-28 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Go Blue Forever 1
News Darren Sharper Think the Bears Can Compete with... (Jun '13) Jul '13 DagoT 21
News The question:Who should be the Green Bay Packer... (Jun '13) Jun '13 GBPfan 6
More from around the web