Backup QB Brett Basanez a good fit fo...

Backup QB Brett Basanez a good fit for Bears

There are 80 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 12, 2009, titled Backup QB Brett Basanez a good fit for Bears. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

I know Lovie Smith moving up mandatory mini-camp from June to March 17-19 could be interpreted as his way of telling every complacent veteran he'd better be ready to flip the calendar to circa 2005, when this ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
WrecksAlwaysSux

King Of Prussia, PA

#1 Feb 12, 2009
I told you this is a de facti Halas Hall Propoganda mouthpiece.
brett

El Dorado Hills, CA

#2 Feb 12, 2009
Haugh-
You must be bored. Eithe that or the Trib commissioned you to write an article about the bears.
This guy wont even be on the roster next year.
Mad Dog

Roselle, IL

#3 Feb 12, 2009
I still don't understand how Ron Turner is still our offensive coordinator?
Brandon P

Austin, TX

#4 Feb 12, 2009
Good stuff as always, David... so refreshing to hear Bears talk at this time of year. Given the free-agent QB situation, do you think there's even a remote chance the Bears swallow hard and re-sign Grossman (if Minnesota doesn't go after him)?
John

United States

#5 Feb 12, 2009
The Bears dumpster diving for QBs... Some things just never change. This franchise is not serious about winning. That is for sure.
boribear96

United States

#6 Feb 12, 2009
Fanatism always seek instant gratification. But the article facts are correct. I wouldn't sign any quarterback not named Brady or Manning (if any of the best would be available). Big Ben is as hot and cold as Rex or Kyle have been, if not for the defense they wouldn't even had gotten to the playoffs. Favre? Romo? The first is old. The second's got a pretty good offensive line, TO, Williams, Witten etc......and he's still streaky. A 1st round qb? Really? Neither Sanchez or Stafford are gonna be able to contribute right away, not mentioning Sanchez health and inexperience or Stafford's inability to read coverages or make NFL progressions. The matter of fact is Rex is probably the best available qb in fa (Warner's gonna retire or stay in AZ) but still needs to go. Qb's, as in any position, are found everywhere, i.e. Warner, Romo, Brees (2nd rounder), every receiver on the Packers roster (the envy), Marques Colston, etc..... Stay the course, Kyle looked good when on a rythm almost impossible to have with this group of WR. He's made leaps since 05. Trade the 1st round pick for Boldin, sign Haynesworth not Peppers, and all of the sudden the team looks decent. Draft safety and OL for insurance and developement. Rome was not built in a day..... only Tom Brady can do that and how many are they.

“Let's rock!!”

Since: Oct 07

Aurora, IL

#7 Feb 12, 2009
Haugh says "Sorry, Rex bashers, but the way things are going in the free-agent market, Grossman might be more qualified than the veteran-QB-to-be-named later as Orton's competition."

Based on WHAT? Grossman stunk last season as Orton's backup!!

Good riddance, I'm sure our D would enjoy harassing him in a Vikings suit!
Rance Mohammitz

Espanola, NM

#8 Feb 13, 2009
Heyward-Bey, get him...
val

Aurora, IL

#9 Feb 13, 2009
Dave,
I see that you are still on the REX grossman kick. I don't think he could quarterback a pee-wee league team, let alone the nfl.
Get over it. He is gone. Please don't bring up his name again.
val

Aurora, IL

#10 Feb 13, 2009
Dave,

I hope the vikes take REX. If he plays, the bears defense will have a stellar day and you will eat crow.
Du Ve

AOL

#11 Feb 13, 2009
Heyward-Bey is pure speed and very explosive(if you folks get a chance catch Bey on Youtube Univ of Maryland). However I prefer Robiske(wr ohio st.). He's not as fast as Bey, however he has better hands He might be more disciplined than Bey, Robiske comes from a great program(Ohio St), he's used to midwestern weather and he has a NFL pedigree. IMO he could in and IMMEDIATELY start/produce just like Forte has. Either of the 2- would be an upgrade over the Bears present receiving corp as it stands.
I wouldn't take any of the aforementioned NFL Vets(too much baggage on ALL of them).
Lastly, I don't EVER EVER wanna see Rex Grossman in a Bears uniform again. I don't care if he joins another team and throws 5 Td's against us. I recently watched the "05" S-Bowl again, and I saw the Int he threw to Indy's DB that was taken back for a TD, and that was the worst pass imaginable. He lobbed that fr-eakin ball up for grabs into double coverage, across the field,in terrible weather conditions. Heck, even Larry Fitzgerald couldn't have caught that pass. While I don't blame Rex exclusively for the S-Bowl loss, his play in that game showed me he doesn't have what it takes to lead a team. Good riddance Rex! Become some other team's problem.
Da Bearss

United States

#12 Feb 13, 2009
boribear96 wrote:
Trade the 1st round pick for Boldin,
That's it, someone has got to explain to me why we should trade for Boldin instead of just signing T.J. Housch! What makes Boldin a 1st round pick better?!

Actually, Dave, I'm glad you didn't mention T.J. in your article. Columns this time of year are used to blow smoke, so I take your lack of coverage to mean that My Beloved Bears are planning to be in the thick of the T.J. derby.
American First

Gwynn Oak, MD

#13 Feb 13, 2009
Why should a potentially great wide receiver or a past great veteran come to Chicago when Chicago refuses to compensate the potentially great when they prove themselves to be great players-Bernard Berrain; there have been many others. The Bears are a joke. Hester is not a wide receiver; another flop.
boribear96

United States

#14 Feb 13, 2009
Da Bearss:Boldin's younger than TJ, faster, and stronger. Although TJ is better than everything we have at wr, he reminds me too much about Muhammad. Sorry dude.
Bill

Warrenville, IL

#15 Feb 13, 2009
American First wrote:
Why should a potentially great wide receiver or a past great veteran come to Chicago when Chicago refuses to compensate the potentially great when they prove themselves to be great players-Bernard Berrain; there have been many others. The Bears are a joke. Hester is not a wide receiver; another flop.

Exactly.

We're hearing so much of ..... "We should get THIS guy", and "We should get THAT guy".......... Like all we had to do was ask !

Why would any talented, self respecting player subject himself to the buffoonery of the Bear's organization??..... It certainly won't be for the money...... They don't pay enough to put up with the circus atmosphere and NumNutz coaching.

Bears Stink

Atlanta, GA

#17 Feb 13, 2009
This team depresses me.
wolf359

Roselle, IL

#18 Feb 13, 2009
Great, so now we have 3 backup QB's.
Once again, going nowhere fast.
Greg

Cicero, IL

#19 Feb 13, 2009
Du Ve wrote:
Heyward-Bey is pure speed and very explosive(if you folks get a chance catch Bey on Youtube Univ of Maryland). However I prefer Robiske(wr ohio st.). He's not as fast as Bey, however he has better hands He might be more disciplined than Bey, Robiske comes from a great program(Ohio St), he's used to midwestern weather and he has a NFL pedigree. IMO he could in and IMMEDIATELY start/produce just like Forte has. Either of the 2- would be an upgrade over the Bears present receiving corp as it stands.
I wouldn't take any of the aforementioned NFL Vets(too much baggage on ALL of them).
Lastly, I don't EVER EVER wanna see Rex Grossman in a Bears uniform again. I don't care if he joins another team and throws 5 Td's against us. I recently watched the "05" S-Bowl again, and I saw the Int he threw to Indy's DB that was taken back for a TD, and that was the worst pass imaginable. He lobbed that fr-eakin ball up for grabs into double coverage, across the field,in terrible weather conditions. Heck, even Larry Fitzgerald couldn't have caught that pass. While I don't blame Rex exclusively for the S-Bowl loss, his play in that game showed me he doesn't have what it takes to lead a team. Good riddance Rex! Become some other team's problem.
You can't coach speed. I'd go for the burner.
Steve

Palatine, IL

#20 Feb 13, 2009
Goodness Haugh - What does Angelo pay you. He was "one injury away from running the Panthers". How inane. Here is a better one for you - "Rex was one or two plays away from a Super Bowl trophy". Is this an upgrade to our QB corps?
Dmaul

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#21 Feb 13, 2009
This is dumb.
EVERYONE knows the Bears CAN'T develop a QB.
We need a solid Vet QB. PERIOD.
Rex well go to another team and be turned into a decent QB by someone that can coach.
TJ Howsyourmamma would be great to have, I think.
Bolden, maybe a little better, but the Bears are cheap.
That is the reason there is no post-season.

Yeah, it was corny, like our fav teams coaching, what of it?

Dm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Devin Hester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutler sparkles, leads Bears over Falcons (Oct '14) Oct '14 VaJayna 2
News NFL Preseason 2014: Atlanta Falcons vs. Jackson... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Garbageuars 1
News Time For Brian Urlacher and Chicago Bears To Pa... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Steven 1
News Bears QB Cutler out at Redskins with groin injury (Oct '13) Oct '13 Mike Dickta 2
News Offense not clicking, Bears beat Chargers 33-28 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Go Blue Forever 1
News Darren Sharper Think the Bears Can Compete with... (Jun '13) Jul '13 DagoT 21
News The question:Who should be the Green Bay Packer... (Jun '13) Jun '13 GBPfan 6
More from around the web