Warm welcome, slow start for Bears' J...

Warm welcome, slow start for Bears' Jay Cutler

There are 16 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 31, 2009, titled Warm welcome, slow start for Bears' Jay Cutler. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

We're keeping an eye on Jay Cutler during his first Bears training camp. Here's the first look.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

nom nom

Buchanan Dam, TX

#1 Jul 31, 2009
bears!
WI Bear

Amery, WI

#2 Jul 31, 2009
Can't wait to tell the Packer and Viking fans to stick it! GO BEARS!!!
Neckbeard Nation

United States

#3 Jul 31, 2009
Still should've given Orton another shot. He would have led us to the Super Bowl. We know it. He was just hitting his groove. Now the Bears will have to eat their hearts out as Orton leads the Broncos to their greatest season ever.

Poor Bears. Stuck with a guy as lame as Jay Cutler. Nobody else wanted him, that's why he came here. Urlacher was right. This guy's a sissy. Who needs a pretty 40-yard TD pass in the air? It's more entertaining to watch a guy with heart and hustle, guts and determination, heave it up in the air and pray that the defender doesn't turn around and catch it before our guy has time to turn around and run 10 yards back upfield to haul it in. That's REAL Bears football. Cutler's got nothing.
chitownbill

Hilo, HI

#4 Jul 31, 2009
If the Bears stink this year and they very well may,
Coach Lovie Smith has got to go. His cover 2 is idiotic in its simplicity and so easy to beat. I almost feel like mailing it in this year just to be rid of this clown.
Maunakea Rick

Des Moines, IA

#5 Jul 31, 2009
I sure hope they give Brandon Rideau a fair shot. I think he can be a real surprise with good hands and size.

Other than that, I hope the pass rush becomes a repeat of the junkyard dogs.
James

Harreveld, Netherlands

#6 Aug 1, 2009
One person the Bears need...Michael Vic and the rest will be histroy. Another Superbowl
mercy

Fuzhou, China

#7 Aug 1, 2009
my fav player is cutler. he is the best.
Homer

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Aug 1, 2009
Neckbeard Nation wrote:
Still should've given Orton another shot. He would have led us to the Super Bowl. We know it. He was just hitting his groove. Now the Bears will have to eat their hearts out as Orton leads the Broncos to their greatest season ever.
Poor Bears. Stuck with a guy as lame as Jay Cutler. Nobody else wanted him, that's why he came here. Urlacher was right. This guy's a sissy. Who needs a pretty 40-yard TD pass in the air? It's more entertaining to watch a guy with heart and hustle, guts and determination, heave it up in the air and pray that the defender doesn't turn around and catch it before our guy has time to turn around and run 10 yards back upfield to haul it in. That's REAL Bears football. Cutler's got nothing.
Nobody said that "Neckbeard" didn't do a decent job for the Bears (when he could play). That's why he was trade bait. But to say he was better than Cutler, and will take the Broncos to their best season ever and the Super Bowl? Ha Ha. That's funny. Cutler is way better. Period.
Crazy Bear Fan

Mesa, AZ

#9 Aug 1, 2009
For the first day, this news is very encouraging my concern is the grass surface. I hope the Bears players were the necessary shoes to combat it.

Boy! Some of the fans comments is just plain stupid, or dumb. Let Orton go already he was decent for the Bears, but I do not recall a 30-yard pass followed by a 40-yard pass from him last year during practice, or game situation.

I am probably the biggest Orton fan.
However, he is in Denver now that makes him the enemy when we play them in the preseason game; I will be rooting against him vehemently. Real Bears Fans should do the same.

For where we are trying to go the Bears have the perfect Querter Back; will there be some bad plays yes, that will happen with Tom Brady as well what we are hoping for is more great plays than bad.

The news today was very delightful to hear. I would have loved to see the video of those passes nonetheless.
Crazy Bear Fan

Mesa, AZ

#10 Aug 1, 2009
Sorry, about the grammatical error "I hope the Bears players were (wear) the necessary shoes to combat it".
Spike

Bangor, ME

#11 Aug 1, 2009
In 1986 The Bears destroyed the Patriots in Super Bowl 20 46-10. I'm sure many of you fondly remember that.

BUT - in the 4th quarter with the game already won they were on the Patriots' 2 yard line and Ditka sent in a play for Perry, the refrigerator. Perry scored. Walter Payton NEVER scored in that Super Bowl and he should have.

After the game Ditka was quoted as saying words to this effect "they didn't belong on the same field with us." That might have been true but you do NOT say things like that.

The moral of the story - there are times when team a kicks the s..t out of team b. That is accepted. What is NOT accepted is when team a rubs team b's nose in it. When that happens team a incurs the curse of the gods (note small g) which in this case meant that in the first game of the next season McMahon was injured. Nevertheless the Bears got to the playoffs that season and then, in a game which I HIGHLY enjoyed watching in my house in Cornville, Maine (look it up - it's on the map) they got beaten AT HOME by the Skins I think it was.

I don't think many of you will disagree with me when I say that with the talent they had on that team the Bears should have won at least two Superbowls, which they would have had it not been for:

THE CURSE

In the ensuing 20+ years they have gone from being contenders to being a joke, to being pathetic, to being ridiculous, while ALWAYS frustrating their fans, even to the Super Bowl a few years ago but they really didn't have much of a chance in that game with Grossman at the controls - there was NO way that Manning was going to lose that day.

But I digress

The gods are capricious about things like curses so one NEVER knows when the curse will be lifted. Is this the year?

Let's remember that with quarterbacks you ain't nothin' until you've done somethin', and that is the way it should be.

BTW - That 1985 Bears team was the greatest team I ever saw and I can still remember watching THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED on a B&W TV about as big as a thimble and happily screaming my (young) head off.
DagoT

Des Moines, IA

#12 Aug 1, 2009
THIS is REPORTING? It's more like reading my little niece's text messages.

And AGAIN with the Vanderbilt crap! JFC! I've said it before -- if having guys from one college were such a breathtaking strategy for NFL success, more teams would have been drafting classmates the past 80, 90 years.
WhaDahFak

Warren, MI

#13 Aug 1, 2009
Cutler scratched his nut sack and the fans cheered...again I say WhaDahFak
Avenger

Deerfield, IL

#14 Aug 1, 2009
WhaDahFak wrote:
Cutler scratched his nut sack and the fans cheered...again I say WhaDahFak
The crowd yelled "Horray for jock itch!!!"
Jealous McGarrity

United States

#15 Aug 1, 2009
Mr. Neckbeard Nation said it all, Finally a true BEARS fans that has the courage to speak the truth. You are of the same high moral and honest
nature as Kyle himself. Mr. Orton has won over the fan base here in Denver. He may not be the best quarterback in the NFL physically, but most certainly mentally. Brains over brawn with Mr. Orton. He is healthy and really grasping the new system implimented by coach McDaniels. Cutler is like a bag of rocks tied around your neck, He'll bring the BEARS down. Mr. interception Cutler will lose all your close games. a 30 point lead is not enough with Cutler.
Make sure your running game is A-plus
your going to abandon the passing game because of Cutler's interceptionitis. Monday mornings are going to be rough this season. Who is the backup QB in Chicago? Just what I thought. BEARS DOWN!!!!
AzBroncofan

Apache Junction, AZ

#16 Aug 1, 2009
Jealous McGarrity wrote:
Mr. Neckbeard Nation said it all, Finally a true BEARS fans that has the courage to speak the truth. You are of the same high moral and honest
nature as Kyle himself. Mr. Orton has won over the fan base here in Denver. He may not be the best quarterback in the NFL physically, but most certainly mentally. Brains over brawn with Mr. Orton. He is healthy and really grasping the new system implimented by coach McDaniels. Cutler is like a bag of rocks tied around your neck, He'll bring the BEARS down. Mr. interception Cutler will lose all your close games. a 30 point lead is not enough with Cutler.
Make sure your running game is A-plus
your going to abandon the passing game because of Cutler's interceptionitis. Monday mornings are going to be rough this season. Who is the backup QB in Chicago? Just what I thought. BEARS DOWN!!!!
I thought people stopped sniffing glue. Guess I was wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Devin Hester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutler sparkles, leads Bears over Falcons (Oct '14) Oct '14 VaJayna 2
News NFL Preseason 2014: Atlanta Falcons vs. Jackson... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Garbageuars 1
News Time For Brian Urlacher and Chicago Bears To Pa... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Steven 1
News Bears QB Cutler out at Redskins with groin injury (Oct '13) Oct '13 Mike Dickta 2
News Offense not clicking, Bears beat Chargers 33-28 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Go Blue Forever 1
News Darren Sharper Think the Bears Can Compete with... (Jun '13) Jul '13 DagoT 21
News The question:Who should be the Green Bay Packer... (Jun '13) Jun '13 GBPfan 6
More from around the web