Chicago Bears can get Jay Cutler ...

Chicago Bears can get Jay Cutler ...

There are 269 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 1, 2009, titled Chicago Bears can get Jay Cutler .... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

My sixth sense tells me Jay Cutler will be traded within the next two weeks to give the Broncos ample time to evaluate their new draft options.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
The Truth

Chicago, IL

#1 Apr 1, 2009
Angelo would never go for Cutler. The Bears organ-I-zation never takes a business risk. If they sat on their hands with Grossman for so long, they will sit idly with Orton and Cutler will go to a team that actually wants to win no matter what.

If people stop going to the games, the Bears would listen.
Gus

Britton, MI

#2 Apr 1, 2009
What is the difference between a sports column and a list? Haugh can write a list.
USMC Bears Fan

Santee, CA

#3 Apr 1, 2009
Angelo would go for Cutler, and he does takes risks...in the form of drafting players that are marked as injury prone.

Getting Cutler is a risk that he might take, but it will be a risk that either makes him a genius, or ends with him being stabbed with pitchforks and hanging from a tree.

Even though it's not going to happen, say the Bears get Cutler. Here's my prediction: After giving up some key members of the Defense, the offense is relied on to put up a lot of points. In the first offensive series against Green Bay, Cutler is leading the Bears downfield in a fashion that living Bears fans have never seen. The line is working well with Pace and Williams providing Cutler with plenty of protection. He hits Hester and Harvin in stride for a total of 35 yards. The D plays back and Forte runs through some huge holes for consecutive first downs. On first and goal, Cutler hits Olsen in the corner of the endzone. Everything is working...it's really happening! Cheers ring out in bars and homes across Chicagoland. After a short celebration, Cutler heads to the sideline and takes a seat on the bench as Gould hits the extra point. Then a disgruntled Broncos fan jumps out of the stands and shoots Cutler in the head.
Do whatever it takes

Blue Island, IL

#4 Apr 2, 2009
The people who don't want Cutler haven't done their research.

Cutler was LIED to by the management! Headcoach McDaniels wanted to trade Cutler to get Matt Cassel from the very beginning, all the while telling Cutler that he was "the man". And that's not the only thing they lied about either.

Cutler couldn't believe or trust what was going on and he had to get away from those guys.

So Cutler isn't a baby or a whiner, he's getting away from people he can't trust just like you would. Who wants to work with liars?

Cutler is a PROVEN big time QB! There's no guessing he can do the job, we know it from his performance!

That's why so many teams want him. He IS an ELITE QB!

Get it through your heads people, you ARE NOT GOING TO WIN 3 SUPERBOWLS WITH A MEDIOCRE QB!!!

And I WANT 3 or 4 SUPERBOWL WINS!

All of you negative people saying the Bears can't or won't do it are condemning the Bears to being losers.

Public opinion counts and has forced the Bears to make changes before. If the Bears management feels the heat, they'll see the light.

And negative LOSER talk is NOT HELPING.

When I read people talking about a future Bears team without Cutler on it, when we have this once in a lifetime chance, this golden opportunity...to think we wasted it, that we blew it, makes me sick to my stomach.

GET CUTLER NOW!

Since: Mar 09

jacksonville. IL

#5 Apr 2, 2009
I would trade our 1st 2nd 3rd round picks of this uears draft for Cutler along with Orton. Then sign Marvin Harrison, pace and win a super bowl. Do Not trade BU, dont create a hole on one side of the ball to fill another thats just stupid. Next years first round pick wont be a top pick because we wil win the super bowl so you could include it. heres the thing do the denver broncos want kyl oerton prolly not so were at a disadvantage in this trade. Expect the redskins or browns to end up with cutler. I would trade our next 10 years of round picks for Cutler if thats what it takes. JA needs to make such an unreal offer for this to happen. and then if it does i would immediately sign cutler to a 8 year extension worth 80+ mil. then us fans woulkd never have to talk about our QB situation til 2020 and thats just fine with me.
Joel

Korea

#6 Apr 2, 2009
I'm still not sold on Orton being bad. Give him another full season to test it out. If he is really good, then great we got a winner. If he is just not good, but not bad, as he has shown us last season, then fine, we're a running team. If he is bad (unlikely seeing what he did last season with an injured ankle), then crap.

All in all, I'd rather take my chances on Orton and patch up the defense with the resources we have.
vik

Mundelein, IL

#7 Apr 2, 2009
This is a great article and really opened my eyes to what Cutler could do for the Bears. Well thought out, informed, and written.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#8 Apr 2, 2009
Joel wrote:
I'm still not sold on Orton being bad. Give him another full season to test it out. If he is really good, then great we got a winner. If he is just not good, but not bad, as he has shown us last season, then fine, we're a running team. If he is bad (unlikely seeing what he did last season with an injured ankle), then crap.
All in all, I'd rather take my chances on Orton and patch up the defense with the resources we have.
Why if he does not pan out then we are starting over again. With Cutler the Bears have resolved the problem at QB and can start working on getting WR's and adding depth to LB and DB. I would love to see Urlacher get traded. He is damaged goods with an escalating contract.
val

Aurora, IL

#9 Apr 2, 2009
All of you guys are in la-la land.

I was watching the NFL station on satellite last night as they were assessing the Cutler trade. They listed 8 teams in the running, none of which were the Bears. They came to the conclusion that the Lions would get Cutler...but very close to Washington getting them as well.
Either way, the Bears on NOT on the short list.

Keep dreaming guys. Cutler is not coming to the bears....and you won't see a superbowl, let alone a playoff birth with Lovie at the helm.
The best that can happen this year is for the Bears to stink up the field and Lovie shown the exit door in January....and if we are lucky, angelo will follow.
SteveKep

United States

#10 Apr 2, 2009
There is something that is much more scarce, something rarer than ability. It is the ability to recognize ability.
I ... smell the stench of appeasement in the air.
val

Aurora, IL

#11 Apr 2, 2009
bhawk61,

Urlacher looks like damaged goods ever since Ron Rivera was fired.
To me, it looks like they are using him in the wrong way. You can blame lovie for being such a stickler with his cover-2 defensive scheme that most teams have figured out.
Tell me...if Urlacher is out, who takes his place...that can play that middle the way its suppose to be played? What? Draft another middle linebacker in the first round? But we don't have enough first round draft picks to even think about using it for a middle linebacker. Point is...why break what is not broken.
Bears broke our special teams by moving hester to wideout. Now you want to break another aspect of the bears.
You haven't convinced me. I say, change the defensive scheme and use the best of what the players can give you instead of trying to pound a square nail into a round hole.
ldc

Champaign, IL

#12 Apr 2, 2009
Joel wrote:
While I'm not willing to trade the house to get Cutler, I'm pretty convinced that Orton is what he is at this point in his career.

He has little accuracy on deep passes, is a sitting duck in the pocket and has mediocre arm strength to drive passes into tight spots.

He's just another guy. Cutler has Pro Bowl talent.
Domino49

Chicago, IL

#13 Apr 2, 2009
The good news is that the Bears might sign Pace, Harrison and/or Holt anyway. The question becomes: "OK, now that you have a good 3rd string WR, who's playing the first 2 WR spots?

Pace is a risk because of age and injury. Pace is not John Tait 2.0, but, his experience could help the younger linemen learn the pro game faster. But, only if they sign Pace early enough to have an impact in camp.

Without any changes to the current roster, the Bears offense will only gain around 3000 total (passing/rushing) yards in 2009.

Combine those numbers with an aging defense subject to being overwhelmed by big plays and you have another year of dashed hopes for the Bears' faithful who will spend the 2009 season wishing we had an "REAL" quarterback.

* 2009 Bears with Cutler, Pace, Holt AND Harrison: 10-6

*2009 Bears with no personel change: 6-10
DagoT

Des Moines, IA

#14 Apr 2, 2009
You forgot —

he can walk on water and talk to burning bushes, and the Bears won't have to worry about cleaning his uni, presumably because he'll be clad in a dazzling white robe...
DagoT

Des Moines, IA

#15 Apr 2, 2009
The Truth wrote:
Angelo would never go for Cutler. The Bears organ-I-zation never takes a business risk. If they sat on their hands with Grossman for so long, they will sit idly with Orton and Cutler will go to a team that actually wants to win no matter what.
If people stop going to the games, the Bears would listen.
You contradict yourself by mentioning Grossman. THAT wasn't a business risk, drafting and sticking by THAT LOAD? What about Moose? What about re-signing Urlacher when he held a gun to management's heads? Heck, go back to Brian Cox' signing -- these are all business risks.

What you probably meant to say is the Bears don't make good business DECISIONS, because they are all about risks!
Brian in KY

Louisville, KY

#16 Apr 2, 2009
Whether or not the Bears get Cutler, I'm still concerned at what cost it will take to get this guy. Say the bears get him, and say for argument sake Cutler plays, and plays well, and say we give a few on the defense. For those 54 haters, please note he did some of his best work playing the cover 2 and is more affective when he is going sideline to sideline. Its obvious he needs somewhat of a running start, as crowding the line does not work for Urlacher.
But still, say the bears give 54, and a few others. Now in typical Bears fashion, they start to look good the first few games. Forte is averaging 4+/carry, and Hester, Lloyd, and Olsen are getting big numbers as is Cutler. 4th game in Hester pulles a hammi, and Lloyd tweaked his knee.
In this scenario the Bears faulter back to being 1 dimensional (Forte) defenses know to focus on the run, and our D is lacking. Your looking at maybe a 6 win season there. Just saying, depth and "other" positions added to are a little more important than putting all eggs in one basket for one player.
the truth is out there

Richton Park, IL

#17 Apr 2, 2009
just pray chicago pray that this happens. That s all we can do now.
Chris R

Midlothian, IL

#18 Apr 2, 2009
I just got done reading 36 pieces of useless information. Te Bears won't go for Cutler because doing so would require guts, creativity and risk. Angelo would be totally hitching his wagon to one big deal and that is not his way. He would rather shuffle fifth and sixth rounders, Bet the house he doesn't do it.
Missed it by that much

Huntley, IL

#19 Apr 2, 2009
I don't think the Bears have enough to offer unless they completely over pay e.g Ricky Williams and Herschel Walker, and how well did that work out for the Saints and Vikings? So Angelo just needs to make a good solid offer and see what happens.
MR KENNEDY

Rensselaer, IN

#20 Apr 2, 2009
Bears need to sign Holt and Harrison and they do not have the players to get Jay unless they give the entire draft to Denver which still could be short.To many holes on this team.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Devin Hester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutler sparkles, leads Bears over Falcons (Oct '14) Oct '14 VaJayna 2
News NFL Preseason 2014: Atlanta Falcons vs. Jackson... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Garbageuars 1
News Time For Brian Urlacher and Chicago Bears To Pa... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Steven 1
News Bears QB Cutler out at Redskins with groin injury (Oct '13) Oct '13 Mike Dickta 2
News Offense not clicking, Bears beat Chargers 33-28 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Go Blue Forever 1
News Darren Sharper Think the Bears Can Compete with... (Jun '13) Jul '13 DagoT 21
News The question:Who should be the Green Bay Packer... (Jun '13) Jun '13 GBPfan 6
More from around the web