Wife's cancer teaches Chicago Bears assistant tough lesson

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Bears special teams coordinator Dave Toub got news of wife's cancer just before last Mother's Day and they drew up battle plan David Haugh On the Bears May 10, 2009 The Toub family: 7-year-old Nicolette, Cheryl, 15-year-old Shane and Dave.
Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated May 11, 2009
Marybelle

Rotonda West, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2009

I would like to say that I am a 9 year Breast Cancer survivor
as of Jan. 24, 2009. My diagnosis was a Stage 1 which was
found by my radiologist. My surgeon recommended a routine modified mastectomy leaving the pectoral muscle intact of my right breast. There was no lymph node involvement. I did not have to have chemo/radiation nor tamoxifen. I also had plastic and reconstructive surgery which there was enough tissue that could form a breast. The plastic surgeon advised against taking tissued from my abdomen. She inserted a saline implant and on my left breast reduced it to conform with my right breast. I am thankful that the Good Lord spared me and that the cancer was caught early enough. Every year my regular surgeon has me in for a mammogram and chext x-ray. I am graterful for this very fine surgeon and he takes good care of me. So I urge all women to please have a yearly mammogram; it is a nuisance I know but it saves your life.
If you haven't had one recently, PLEASE DO IT NOW!!
N-ville Bear

Thompsons Station, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2009

God bless Dave, his wife and their family. Football is important, but in the scheme of things, it doesn't matter when someone's life is in the balance. May Cheryl be healthy and live to be with her grandchildren...
Pearl

Saint Charles, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2009

Prayers to Cheryl and her family. Happy Mother's Day, Mrs. Toub.
gop Rest in Peace

Starkville, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2009

I wish the best for Mrs. Staub and her family.
Marybelle

Rotonda West, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2009

I might add to Cheryl Taub, God Bless you and keep up the good work. Happy Mother's Day to you.
Marybelle

Rotonda West, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2009

Excuse the spelling of your last name Cheryl. I noticed it is Staub. Sorry about the typo.
Harold S

Daly City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2009

I'm of two minds here.

The first is I'm so very glad that Mrs. Toub's tumor was caught so early, that both are now far more cognizant of how many Americans fight this disease at some point in their lives and are doing their best to promote awareness, and - most importantly - that both are healthy.

At the same time, the other is that as of a caregiver of an elderly mother with Stage IV metastases from a breast cancer tumor that was Stage III when caught, there are so many more compelling cases of perseverance and love and care than this that it's a bit of a disappointment the Tribune chose this story.

This isn't a hit on the Taub family, but someone who got caught at Stage 0 is among the luckiest people alive, especially when they have health insurance provided by the NFL. I'd so much rather hear of what happens to players and their mothers who really do face cancer in its awfullest form - as a terminal disease, that requires financial and personal sacrifice beyond belief.

That's a true Mother's Day story.
Billy Chiacchia

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2009

hey dave god bless u and your family i known u and ur family long time and ur great people stay strong and hope u have a great season.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Devin Hester Discussions

Search the Devin Hester Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Time For Brian Urlacher and Chicago Bears To Pa... Mar '14 Steven 1
Bears QB Cutler out at Redskins with groin injury (Oct '13) Oct '13 Mike Dickta 2
Offense not clicking, Bears beat Chargers 33-28 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Go Blue Forever 1
Darren Sharper Think the Bears Can Compete with... (Jun '13) Jul '13 DagoT 21
The question:Who should be the Green Bay Packer... (Jun '13) Jun '13 GBPfan 6
How Much is Jay Cutler Worth Heading into 2013? (Mar '13) Mar '13 Bad Things Small Packages 1
Devin Hester Hints at Possibility of Requesting... (Feb '13) Mar '13 Halas 1 3
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••