Chicago Bears should draft best player, not an available wide r...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

With regard to the Bears ' first pick in the draft next weekend, their need is as transparent as a cell-phone screen protector.
Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Apr 20, 2009
WI Bear

Amherst Junction, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 18, 2009
 
That's hilarious how the NFL is saying that our getting Jay Cutler had nothing to do with us getting all those prime time TV slots. GO BEARS!
Gregory

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 18, 2009
 
Another fine article, you sure you are doing this writing just for the trib? Is it possible for you to slip a few of your columns under Angelo's door? If you did an analysis of GMs who repeatedly overreached for players have to think ol Jerry would be the leader. Bradley for instance, speaking or WRs. I still think they'll sign a free agent wr, so can draft as described in this article, best available. This may also help get that sour look off Lovie's face, if angelo uses their pick on a defensive player. Lovie does'nt seem to happy to give up 2 number 1 draft picks and shift focus to offense from his improved, all lovie called, defense. And a quarterback no less, must really be hard to stomach for an old DB coach.

Keep up the good work. Oh having the bears on tv isn't so hard to figure, when the economy is in the tank you play to your biggest markets. Like getting the Bulls featured in the playoffs against the garnettless Celtics, it is good for ratings and good for the league which has to compete harder than ever for fans dwindling entertainment dollars. Not to mention, corporate sponsorships drying up like cactus flowers in the desert.
Creighton

Evanston, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 18, 2009
 
WI Bear wrote:
That's hilarious how the NFL is saying that our getting Jay Cutler had nothing to do with us getting all those prime time TV slots. GO BEARS!
It may not have. Remember the Bears are in the second largest Market in the country. We had a bunch of Prime time games last year too. The NFL just wants the money. If Cutler wasn't here they would just push Forte or Urlacher or Hester.

The only game on the schedule that I don't like is the 49ers game. Time wise that is.
val

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 19, 2009
 
Dan,
Are you an undercover agent for the packers or vikes? You sound like one.
Lets' see...when the bears turn comes up to draft in the second round, the best player available is a tight end...or a punter, or a kicker...or even a guard (now how many of these type of players are taken in the first round compared to other positions in the last 10 years?).
Clearly, our need is wide out....and it isn't december where the need may change...but starting off the season to give cutler the best chance to succeed. In addition, lovie is on his last legs. He has to have a winning season or else he will see the exit door.
Nope...you are wrong...at least for this draft. Any other draft year I would agree with you somewhat. When you address the draft with the best player available attitude, that player in the first round better start. Therefore, there better be room and your team better improve with that move.
Can the bears improve drastically with a defensive end or a free safety in this years draft in the second round, probably so. Can they improve drastically with a linebacker or corner...maybe not. Should they draft a running back if he is the best player at that time? Not this year.
You have to play a balancing act when drafting...balancing between need and best player available.
But you already know that. Are you sure you aren't an agent for the packers or the vikes? You sure sound like one.
BearsFever

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 19, 2009
 
val wrote:
Dan,
Are you an undercover agent for the packers or vikes? You sound like one.
Lets' see...when the bears turn comes up to draft in the second round, the best player available is a tight end...or a punter, or a kicker...or even a guard (now how many of these type of players are taken in the first round compared to other positions in the last 10 years?).
Clearly, our need is wide out....and it isn't december where the need may change...but starting off the season to give cutler the best chance to succeed. In addition, lovie is on his last legs. He has to have a winning season or else he will see the exit door.
Nope...you are wrong...at least for this draft. Any other draft year I would agree with you somewhat. When you address the draft with the best player available attitude, that player in the first round better start. Therefore, there better be room and your team better improve with that move.
Can the bears improve drastically with a defensive end or a free safety in this years draft in the second round, probably so. Can they improve drastically with a linebacker or corner...maybe not. Should they draft a running back if he is the best player at that time? Not this year.
You have to play a balancing act when drafting...balancing between need and best player available.
But you already know that. Are you sure you aren't an agent for the packers or the vikes? You sure sound like one.
I think You are the Packer or Viqueen Spy as your delusional mind sees it? You say Lovie is on his last legs for his job??? Dont You Wish,Boy! Lovie is and has been a great coach for our Bears,with what little he has had to work with talent wise. Angelo hasnt helped Lovie much with personnel. But Angelo hit a grand slam with the Cutler deal! Lovies job is Just Fine,Lovie isnt going anywhere,You Idiot,Ha,Ha. Cutler is going to carve up your Packers or Viqueens,or whoever you are rooting for this year,being a fair weather fan and all. Bear Down!! Go Bears! The Monsters Of The Midway Are Back!!
Mick

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 19, 2009
 
I think the BEARS should draft the best player on the board at #49, whether it be S, OL, DE, DT, or WR, or even a LB. We need to draft the Best player who has a chance to start right away. However; we do not need a QB, or a TE, or K, or P.
There will be some more cuts coming up from other teams. Harrison, Toomer are still out there. Let us try and solidy the D, and concentrate more on offense next year.
An improved D this year will do wonders for the ""O""
Just thinking out loud.
BearFanRick

Orangevale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 19, 2009
 
If I remember correctly...the Bears had 5 prime time games in 2008, and went 4-1...Which makes me laugh when Solomon Wilcots on NFL Network asks if the Bears are ready for prime time and if they deserve 5 games...ha ha ha....yeah, we're ready
RAO

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 19, 2009
 
WI Bear wrote:
That's hilarious how the NFL is saying that our getting Jay Cutler had nothing to do with us getting all those prime time TV slots. GO BEARS!
The schedule was in the works well before the Cutler trade was made; Chicago's large market is the reason and not the trade.
Creighton

Evanston, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 19, 2009
 
I want to make sure I get Dan's article right. What he is saying, is the Bears need more talent. Ok great, draft is less than a week away and Dan just figured out we need more talent. Most teams draft for talent unless they really have a stud at a certain position.

The Bears have a ton of needs so they can easily choose the best player available at a need. Which is really what best player available means.

Wayne by the way was a need for the colts just not there biggest need.
val

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 20, 2009
 
BearsFever,

Just like your name implies, you are brainwashed. By sticking with the cover-2 defense that many teams have now gone away from, including the creators, Tampa Bay, Lovie has placed our team in jeopardy.
He is the reason why our defense gets tired out in the 4th. There aren't enough defensive players on any club to keep the defensive eleven fresh for one hour of play.
It was Lovie that continued to stick with Grossman and not allow competition. Lovie is also the one that demoted himself to defensive coordinator because no coach in the NFL knows how to play the cover-2. Only Lovie knows how? Yeah..and if you believe that...then there is a santa claus....
Does anybody remember Lovie's buddy that was hired for 5 million bucks to fix the cover-2? Does archuletta ring a bell. How about all the games that we loose every year due to coaching decisions? How about waiting till Tuesday's game films to see what went wrong in a loss...instead of changing game plans during a game like most coaches do?
I think that you are the one that is delusional.
Lovie couldn't coach himself out of a wet paper bag.
And then he's got a small fan club with some people like you in it...the same fan club that Grossman had....you know...the QB that still can't find a job in the NFL.
What was Lovie's favorite saying...
oh yeah..."Grossman is our quarterback". Because of that, we could never get Kurt Warner to come to town because there was no competition at that position.
Lovie is an absolute idiot.
Expect to see the prevent defense this entire season.
TheOptimist

Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 20, 2009
 
val wrote:
BearsFever,
Just like your name implies, you are brainwashed. By sticking with the cover-2 defense that many teams have now gone away from, including the creators, Tampa Bay, Lovie has placed our team in jeopardy.
He is the reason why our defense gets tired out in the 4th. There aren't enough defensive players on any club to keep the defensive eleven fresh for one hour of play.
It was Lovie that continued to stick with Grossman and not allow competition. Lovie is also the one that demoted himself to defensive coordinator because no coach in the NFL knows how to play the cover-2. Only Lovie knows how? Yeah..and if you believe that...then there is a santa claus....
Does anybody remember Lovie's buddy that was hired for 5 million bucks to fix the cover-2? Does archuletta ring a bell. How about all the games that we loose every year due to coaching decisions? How about waiting till Tuesday's game films to see what went wrong in a loss...instead of changing game plans during a game like most coaches do?
I think that you are the one that is delusional.
Lovie couldn't coach himself out of a wet paper bag.
And then he's got a small fan club with some people like you in it...the same fan club that Grossman had....you know...the QB that still can't find a job in the NFL.
What was Lovie's favorite saying...
oh yeah..."Grossman is our quarterback". Because of that, we could never get Kurt Warner to come to town because there was no competition at that position.
Lovie is an absolute idiot.
Expect to see the prevent defense this entire season.
Not completely true. Tampa still plays their "Tampa 2" defense. Just not as often. They mix it up a little more now. Also, you haven't noticed, the Titan (obviously one of the top defenses in the league) played Cover 2 as well. It's not the defense, it's the personnel. Honestly, every defensive scheme has wholes. I think Lovie's version of the cover 2, "Bear 2", requires a lot of speed which the Bears no longer have a lot of, due to old age. Our once great defense is getting older. So some adjustments need to be made. But don't get be mistaken, this scheme creates a lot of turnovers when it's ran well.

Lovie has been consistent. He stuck with Rex because Rex was supposed to be our franchise. Everytime the media and fans begged him to yank him, he stood steadfast and said with conviction "Rex is our quarterback". He tried everything he could to give Rex confidence and ample opportunities to play better and evolve into the QB we needed him to be. And that's the kind of loyalty players want. In this case, it may have hurt us. But this is the reason why players love playing for him. I can't think of 5 or 6 coaches in the league right now that would be a better coach for the Bears than Lovie.

The team will look much better this year and you'll be praising him just like the fans that hated Angelo now love him. We loyal fans will just sit back and tell you all, I told you so.

GO BEARS!!! THE NORTH IS OURS!!!
BearsFever

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 20, 2009
 
TheOptimist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not completely true. Tampa still plays their "Tampa 2" defense. Just not as often. They mix it up a little more now. Also, you haven't noticed, the Titan (obviously one of the top defenses in the league) played Cover 2 as well. It's not the defense, it's the personnel. Honestly, every defensive scheme has wholes. I think Lovie's version of the cover 2, "Bear 2", requires a lot of speed which the Bears no longer have a lot of, due to old age. Our once great defense is getting older. So some adjustments need to be made. But don't get be mistaken, this scheme creates a lot of turnovers when it's ran well.
Lovie has been consistent. He stuck with Rex because Rex was supposed to be our franchise. Everytime the media and fans begged him to yank him, he stood steadfast and said with conviction "Rex is our quarterback". He tried everything he could to give Rex confidence and ample opportunities to play better and evolve into the QB we needed him to be. And that's the kind of loyalty players want. In this case, it may have hurt us. But this is the reason why players love playing for him. I can't think of 5 or 6 coaches in the league right now that would be a better coach for the Bears than Lovie.
The team will look much better this year and you'll be praising him just like the fans that hated Angelo now love him. We loyal fans will just sit back and tell you all, I told you so.
GO BEARS!!! THE NORTH IS OURS!!!
Hi George(Yeah,I remember you,one of the true Bear fans like myself). Thanks for Backing me up! "Val" is a Idiot,All he does is trash talk on the Bears,I get sick of it. Why does he hang around here when it is so miserable for him,what a Loser! I Hope he enjoys his Misery,Ha,Ha!! He never says anything positive. He has got to be a Packer or Viqueen fan. I too am excited this year. The negative people are just Jealous! We are going to Surprise people this year,we will have a good team & will win the Division. I have been a Die hard Bear fan for 43 years! I am Stoked over the Cutler trade,I cant believe it. We Finally have a franchise Q.B,Yeah!! How about them Bears! I will fully back up Lovie as well! With what he has had to work with talent wise? People said last year we would only win 4-5 games,Lovie got 9 wins & just missed the Playoffs & the Division. We played the good teams very well and could have had 3 more wins,but let them slip away at the end. He took a team with mediocre talent in 2006 to a Super bowl,he didnt have super star players at all! Anyway,that is my opinion on Lovie,I like him and the players love him as well. This year we will win those close games that got away from us last year and be much Stronger. I Believe,Go Cutler & Bear Down!! The Monsters Of The Midway Are Back!! GO BEARS,2009 DIVISION CHAMPIONS!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Devin Hester Discussions

Search the Devin Hester Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Time For Brian Urlacher and Chicago Bears To Pa... Mar '14 Steven 1
Bears QB Cutler out at Redskins with groin injury (Oct '13) Oct '13 Mike Dickta 2
Offense not clicking, Bears beat Chargers 33-28 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Go Blue Forever 1
Darren Sharper Think the Bears Can Compete with... (Jun '13) Jul '13 DagoT 21
The question:Who should be the Green Bay Packer... (Jun '13) Jun '13 GBPfan 6
How Much is Jay Cutler Worth Heading into 2013? (Mar '13) Mar '13 Bad Things Small Packages 1
Devin Hester Hints at Possibility of Requesting... (Feb '13) Mar '13 Halas 1 3
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••