Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's...

Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears

There are 101 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 18, 2008, titled Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Ron Jaworski kept his assistant busy Thursday breaking down every pass Kyle Orton has had batted down this season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Wrigley Field Bear

San Francisco, CA

#1 Dec 18, 2008
This is ridiculous. Caleb Hanie is the future, not Kyle Orton. I like Orton and he's a big improvement over Rex Grossman, but if the Bears can't develop Hanie, the owners and board of directors should commit suicide and management and the coaches should all be fired.
Wrigley Field Bear

San Francisco, CA

#2 Dec 18, 2008
This is ridiculous. Caleb Hanie is the future, not Kyle Orton. I like Orton and he's a big improvement over Rex Grossman, but if the Bears can't develop Hanie, the owners and board of directors should commit suicide and management and the coaches should all be fired.
Lefty 52 Sox Fan

Chicago, IL

#3 Dec 19, 2008
Orton is not worth 9-10 million a year, maybe more around 1.2 - 1.7 million a year at best for just a year at a time but not with the Bears.

If someone else wants to pay Orton 9 mil a year then let them pay him. Orton is a serviceable QB , but not a preimer starter. Why should he get paid as such?

In my opinion Caleb Hanie Should be given a chance next year, if he does not prove himself as a starter, then he should at least be the backup. The free agent market may look different during the off season and one never knows who is going to be available.

Orton is definatly not their long term answer, neither is Grossman.
Bear fan in KC

Kansas City, MO

#4 Dec 19, 2008
Kyle Orton has shown me the most stability at Quarterback since Erik Kramer. Whenever the Bears need a game winning drive at the end of a game I have more confidence in Kyle than I have had in any other Quarterback in my lifetime. (I'm 65 yrs old). Who ordained Ron Jaworski as the man who's eyes are to Quarterback play what an Xray machine is to bones. I watched Ron Jaworski through his entire career. I would much rather have Kyle Orton. GO BEARS
Jay The Rehab man

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Dec 19, 2008
Caleb Hanie?????
Da Bearss

United States

#7 Dec 19, 2008
One year running the scout team does NOT make a QB ready to start in the NFL. Caleb does deserve to be promoted to 2nd string next year and then we'll see.

The way I see it, if we had last years defense, we'd be headed to the Super Bowl now with Kyle leading the way.

Sign Kyle to an extension, promote Caleb to 2nd string, draft a "Kyle Jr." in the 4th round and wish Rex all the best in his new career selling used cars.

Since: Oct 08

Dane, WI

#8 Dec 19, 2008
We've had some good QB's in chicago! Jim Mc 5 yrs 1 super bowl,Rex 1 Season 1 super bowl! Now that was the 80's & 2006! then when football was football all those Championships they won? The problem with the Bears is Owners&Coaches they suck, Ever since Halas died the Club has gone to the Dogs! Bring in Ditka again and see what happens with players that don't do there jobs like tackling for 1 or or jumping for a Recivers feet as hes running down a sideline?
Irishb1030

AOL

#9 Dec 19, 2008
Excelent article I've been saying forthe last six weeks that I don't think Orton is the long term answer to the Bears quarterback problems. Though an up grade in in suporting cast would help his poduction a great deal, it would also help the running game evan more.
BearsFan2

Bradenton, FL

#10 Dec 19, 2008
If Kyle Orton can make 27 million dollars playing QB, then there is no hope and future for the longterm financial health and existence of the NFL.

Unless they charge ticket holders a million a season to come and watch him throw a football down the field.

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha.
EJ from Palatine

Chicago, IL

#11 Dec 19, 2008
What is so stupid is that Dave really thinks Kyle is good, if only Bernard was here we'd be going to the Super Bowl. Kyle reminds me of "Slow Motion" Bob Avalini, does he drink?

We need McNab, sign him, draft a few wide receivers, a linebacker to replace Urslacker and we're good to go!
Bruce

Fernandina Beach, FL

#12 Dec 19, 2008
I have every confidence that the Bears will fool themselves into believing that Orton is the long-term answer at QB (when he obviously isn't), will sign him to an extension only to figure out two to three years down the road that he will never take any team to the promised land in this league.

Don't forget guys: this team historically is inept at both evaluating and developing players at that position.

Let's take a quick look at Bears starting QBs since Jim McMahon last led the Bears to a Super Bowl victory (which is the goal here, or should be anyway):

Steve Fuller, Rusty Lisch, Greg Landry, Mike Tomczak, Doug Flutie, Jim Harbaugh, PT Willis, Will Furrer,
Erik Kramer, Steve Walsh, Dave Krieg, Rick Mirer, Steve Stenstrom, Moses Moreno, Shane Matthews, Cade McNown, Jim Miller, Chris Chandler, Henry Burris, Kordell Stewart, Jonathan Quinn, Craig Krenzel, Chad Hutchinson, Kyle Orton, Rex Grossman, Brian Griese and now back to Orton.

Anyone else reaching for the air sickness bag yet?

Orton is simply the last name on a long list of mediocrity. His pop gun arm and inability to throw an accurate deep ball limit what you can do offensively.

He is definitely not the answer, sorry to say Bears' fans. Not sure Hanie is ready to start in the NFL either, but at least he appears to have an NFL caliber arm. Rushing him in before he is ready, though, could prove disastrous.

Any chance Cincinnati would consider yet another rebuilding program and trade Carson Palmer for draft picks?
EJ from Palatine

Chicago, IL

#13 Dec 19, 2008
Bruce wrote:
...Orton is simply the last name on a long list of mediocrity. His pop gun arm and inability to throw an accurate deep ball limit what you can do offensively....
All of Wade's HGH couldn't make Kyle's arm strong, there's no hope for this guy.
the truth is out there

Richton Park, IL

#14 Dec 19, 2008
i hope that he sucks it up again. That way the organiztion will get off is stuff. He is bad and we all know it. A career back up. Back up the offensive bus, we got some work to do. Orton will never lead us anywhere and it so true
Jeff

Eden Prairie, MN

#15 Dec 19, 2008
Everyone in Chicago knows that the next QB waiting in the helm is the favorite for most fans...that being said, i have felt more at ease with the QB play this year over the previous ten season, hands down. Kyle Orton is a decent QB, now if he could get a few receivers who can catch, not Davis not Booker, we might have something going...
butkus dick

Galesburg, IL

#16 Dec 19, 2008
the problem is the bears have backed themselves into a position where orton is their best option for the next couple of years.
they wont get a top qb with their draft position, the free agents available aint worth it (mcnabb is way overrated and old) and, please, there is no way hanie is ready next year, even though he has potential.
with a defense that peaked 2 years ago, what we are looking at next year is hopefully getting one of the stud receivers that will be available in the first round of the draft, get rid of lloyd and booker and find a better option as a 2-3 receiver to go with hester as the other 2-3.
i know, thats a lot of ifs with this organizations record of talent evaluation.
EJ from Palatine

Chicago, IL

#17 Dec 19, 2008
a Vikings fan scratches out a post with a dull crayon:
Jeff wrote:
...Kyle Orton is a decent QB, now if he could get a few receivers who can catch, not Davis not Booker, we might have something going...
Viking fans are such boobs. Good thing you guys missed that field goal in Atlanta or you would have lost your 5th Super Bowl. Hey, another one of your players just got busted, can you say "Love Boat"?
wally

Rochester, NY

#18 Dec 19, 2008
They need to let orton run the hurry up and call his own plays at the line like he did when he was hot. that seems to have dissapeared. When he was playing well he was up there barking out the plays at the line like that other number 18 does.
Dave

New York, NY

#19 Dec 19, 2008
News Flash!! Orton is under contract next year....case closed...The Bears have at least 8-10 more games before they should even think about offering him more than low level starter money. I do like Orton though and think he can be a servicable QB....and anyone calling Caleb Hanie right now looks as dumb as when haugh called for an Orton extension after 3 weeks!
Tom Welsh

Naples, FL

#20 Dec 19, 2008
Orton needs more time to pass and better receivers. Davis is a bust- period. Upgrade the line and get a proven "possession" receiver. He will never be a "top 5' quarterback but in time he can become a reliable winning QB.
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#22 Dec 19, 2008
The Bears need 2 find a quality QB. Kyle is great as a backup, but a starter? No. I hope they are NOT dumb enough 2 sign Grossman.....again. Something tells me that they are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Devin Hester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutler sparkles, leads Bears over Falcons (Oct '14) Oct '14 VaJayna 2
News NFL Preseason 2014: Atlanta Falcons vs. Jackson... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Garbageuars 1
News Time For Brian Urlacher and Chicago Bears To Pa... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Steven 1
News Bears QB Cutler out at Redskins with groin injury (Oct '13) Oct '13 Mike Dickta 2
News Offense not clicking, Bears beat Chargers 33-28 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Go Blue Forever 1
News Darren Sharper Think the Bears Can Compete with... (Jun '13) Jul '13 DagoT 21
News The question:Who should be the Green Bay Packer... (Jun '13) Jun '13 GBPfan 6
More from around the web