Matthew Aguilar: A freezing Super Bowl could be a disaster

Full story: El Paso Times 11
So the 2014 Super Bowl will be played in frigid New Jersey in February. I'm all for harkening back to yesteryear when men were men, the Denver Broncos wore the ugliest uniforms ever conceived and Al Davis was still lucid. Full Story
Mr Hate

Arlington, TX

#1 May 31, 2010
I hope to see another Ice Bowl like when Dallas played Green Bay back in the NFL Championship game in 1967 at Lambeau Field. -13 below and -48 wind chill. One of the greatest games I ever saw.
bert

Gurnee, IL

#2 May 31, 2010
I could not disagree more, the fact is no matter what the weather is, it will affect the game. this is because teams that play all year in florida and other southern states are built for the warm weather all year round, whereas northern teams must be built for the cold to an extent. I have been to a sub zero game (Bears-Packers Monday night game 2 years ago) and that was the best game I have ever witnessed, and the cold did not matter to the fans. Just as with college bowl games, where northerners do not get to see any BCS games because all of the games are down south, there should be big time games played up north for us fans who cannot afford to go down south and who enjoy cold weather games
TJJackson

El Paso, TX

#3 May 31, 2010
Sports Illustrated says the main reason the NFL prefers idyllic climes for its Super Bowls is to keep its corporate fat cats (who make up the vast majority of Super Bowl crowds) happy.

Whatever his motives, I second the commissioner's action. Nothing wrong with playing football outside in the goop -- it's part of the game. The NFL has let the Super Bowl get too far away from its roots.

Aguilar makes some good points, but his reasoning (for his opposition to the change) is way off.
Dave

Albuquerque, NM

#4 May 31, 2010
Disaster? It's a friggin' football game, nothing more.
josephus

El Paso, TX

#5 Jun 1, 2010
As long as it's never in Chicago.
mike

Phoenix, AZ

#6 Jun 2, 2010
I hope Chicago, Kansas City, and Green Bay get a shot at hosting the Superbowl. If the fans are cold, they'll need to wear warmer clothes! The colder the better, baby! Bring back the days of yesteryear and play the game it was meant to be played- with the element of weather.
TJJackson

El Paso, TX

#7 Jun 2, 2010
mike wrote:
I hope Chicago, Kansas City, and Green Bay get a shot at hosting the Superbowl. If the fans are cold, they'll need to wear warmer clothes! The colder the better, baby! Bring back the days of yesteryear and play the game it was meant to be played- with the element of weather.
Exactly! I've met three guys who were at the Ice Bowl at Lambeau Field in 1967. Two were spectators, the other played in it. Each can remember exactly what clothes -- and how many layers -- he wore that day.
Dog

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Jun 2, 2010
Just like 3 out of the last 5 Bears regular season games.
Ray

El Paso, TX

#9 Jun 2, 2010
Im glad to see a super bowl in frigid weather. Aguilar obviously never played football. There is too much political correctness in football already and we don't need more sissies whining about weather.
Sam

El Paso, TX

#10 Jun 3, 2010
Who doesn't like football in the snow?If you don't like it then switch the channel to Dora The Explorer and bake some cupcakes.There's no whining in football.
guero_Jon

El Paso, TX

#12 Jun 3, 2010
Roland Schwinn wrote:
I don't like cold weather and I don't like cupcakes. I've been to every Super Bowl since 1952 and I don't want to go if I'm going to freeze my ninny off.
if u have been to every super bowl then u have been threw the cold weather cuz in the past super bowls there have been some really cold weather so if u dont want to go when its cold then why have u gone to all the super bowls since 1952?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Devin Hester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cutler sparkles, leads Bears over Falcons Oct 14 VaJayna 2
NFL Preseason 2014: Atlanta Falcons vs. Jackson... Aug '14 Garbageuars 1
Time For Brian Urlacher and Chicago Bears To Pa... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Steven 1
Bears QB Cutler out at Redskins with groin injury (Oct '13) Oct '13 Mike Dickta 2
Offense not clicking, Bears beat Chargers 33-28 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Go Blue Forever 1
Darren Sharper Think the Bears Can Compete with... (Jun '13) Jul '13 DagoT 21
The question:Who should be the Green Bay Packer... (Jun '13) Jun '13 GBPfan 6

Devin Hester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE