Bernard Berrian the one that got away...

Bernard Berrian the one that got away for Bears

There are 172 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 15, 2008, titled Bernard Berrian the one that got away for Bears. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Of all the regrets that eventually could define this Bears season, the biggest one popped up Sunday on your TV screen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
CentrILMark

AOL

#2 Dec 15, 2008
I was very dissapointed when the Bears let Berrian go, though he appeared to me as someone without a lot of charisma or presence like you expect a top notch player to possess. Typical Bears/Chicago team letting a top notch player get away.
BULLS FAN

Gary, IN

#3 Dec 15, 2008
Uh...isn't Berrian a Legit #2 or 3 Reciever....
He isn't a #1 guy and we'd still need that wether he was still here or not.
But whatever...
Alex

Chicago, IL

#4 Dec 15, 2008
Lovie the mope and Jerry the dope can
NOT evaluate talent

Way too many misses in the draft and losing Berrian was not as bad as losing Thomas Jones!!!!!!!!!!

But what would you expect from these over paid trainees and it will get worse, except for Toeina when did they ever develop any one. Where are the developed OL guys????????
brett

Chicago, IL

#5 Dec 15, 2008
Berrian dropped TOO MANY BALLS last year to warrant that contract.
That he's playing better now only hurts, but Angelo made the correct call.
Not even close

Seabrook, TX

#6 Dec 15, 2008
I don't miss Berrian, not one bit. I'm glad that useless jerk is gone. He was the direct result of 3 or 4 losses last year when he either quit on plays, not finish running routes that then caused the ball to be intercepted, or would not stop to knock down a short ball that would then be intercepted, etc, etc, etc. He was one factor in Grossman's demise because of the interceptions that resulted of his poor play. Good riddance, Berrian...you are a total prick and he showed his true colors with the comments he made after he left. Good bye, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Henry

United States

#7 Dec 15, 2008
Another example of a sports reporter overreacting to a good game. We all knew Berrian is explosive but three plays don't equal $7.6 million. He's terribly inconsistent and will never develop into a go to #1 WR. It's not like Angelo wasn't committed to his success after all he drafted him and has been aggressive at identifying players worthy of extensions. I liked Berrian while he was here but the bottom line is he dropped a lot of passes and caught a lot of bombs (by Grossman) and did little in between.
jerome

Chicago, IL

#8 Dec 15, 2008
Even without Berrian - the Bears SHOULD have beaten the Panthers, the Bucs, and the Falcons. At 11-3, we're not even talking about Berrian.

Where's the hindsight then? I know, I know... shoulda, woulda, coulda.
Jerseyboy

Bridgewater, NJ

#9 Dec 15, 2008
haugh, you never seem to amaze me. why are you crying about berrian? when has chicago every spent that kind of money on any offensive player. if the vikes can spend 42 mill just to have berrian run straight down the field and have a few big catches here or there. what does that tell you? they want to win period. something chicago was never really willing to do. i've always said had they given rex a good right guard and tackle it would have made huge difference. i'm surprised rex threw didn't get injured in 06 with the number of times he was hit. rather, than resign TJ a core player, who really liked rex(watch the interviews)that brought toughness to the offense and gave rex someone to hang his hat on. they let him go because they did not want to spend the 30 to 40 something mill the jets gave him. rex had potential but a cheap team will lack good coaching and great players. if i was a player i would hate to come to chicago. why is it all other 31 nfl teams can play rookies at multiply position but the bears can only play one forte because of a need. the next story you'll write about haugh not too long from now will be rex. that's why you guys bash him so much because you fear he just may go somewhere else and makes some owner that is not afraid to spend money happy they brought him on board. teams that spend money win. teams that are cheap higher people like you to write garbage. we are all hip to you and your man crush for kyle orton. imo the guy sucks what is it going to take another man handling from the pathetic pack for you to write an apology letter to us.
MScary

Bloomingdale, IL

#10 Dec 15, 2008
Give me a break. That TD catch in the Cardinals game is one of the few that I can remember from Berrian all year. The Bears biggest regret is blowing 3 winnable games to the NFC South, not losing Benedict "Berrian" Arnold to the Vikings.
sweet34

Pleasanton, CA

#11 Dec 15, 2008
exactly, not to many bear fans going to be upset losing Berrian. He can make a play here and there, but, lacks what it reallt takes. Take Issac Bruce, at 36, intellegent receiver, at far less money, and i have a receiver I can count on and go to. Berrian was not this kind of a receiver. So losing him for that price had to be.
Decent take, but, we have a lot of glaring holes to fill next year. Your best point was the fact that the bears will probably spend decent money to get a Berrian-like receiver, so, perhaps keeping him as you said, made more sense in the long run.
We will see, I am still p/o'd about the game in ATL, and sure enough, it is going to be why we ended up with the short stick this year... especially as fans. Losing some of those games was just stupid. No matter what you say about Sept/Oct games not being part of the reason we will not make Playoffs this year unless some miracle happens.
Mike

Chicago, IL

#12 Dec 15, 2008
Typo wrote:
Yawwwwwwnnn......Hindsight = 20/20 Haugh. My cat could write a more interesting take on the Bear's season. But you work for the Trib, need to stir up controversy by stating something obvious, magnifying it, and at last adding absolutely nothing insightful to the situation.
Cheers.
F-(Shite Sandwich)
Thanks for taking the words out of my mouth.

Berrien was a joke here and I LOL'd when the Vikes signed him. Looks like the laughs on me now but I'm sure there are still easy passes to drop or alligator arms to appear in the playoffs.

Plus, it's not like Berrien was a proven commodity like Maddux when the Cubs let him go. Stuff happens.
AZ Bear Fan

Chandler, AZ

#13 Dec 15, 2008
Jerseyboy wrote:
haugh, you never seem to amaze me. why are you crying about berrian? when has chicago every spent that kind of money on any offensive player. if the vikes can spend 42 mill just to have berrian run straight down the field and have a few big catches here or there. what does that tell you? they want to win period. something chicago was never really willing to do. i've always said had they given rex a good right guard and tackle it would have made huge difference. i'm surprised rex threw didn't get injured in 06 with the number of times he was hit. rather, than resign TJ a core player, who really liked rex(watch the interviews)that brought toughness to the offense and gave rex someone to hang his hat on. they let him go because they did not want to spend the 30 to 40 something mill the jets gave him. rex had potential but a cheap team will lack good coaching and great players. if i was a player i would hate to come to chicago. why is it all other 31 nfl teams can play rookies at multiply position but the bears can only play one forte because of a need. the next story you'll write about haugh not too long from now will be rex. that's why you guys bash him so much because you fear he just may go somewhere else and makes some owner that is not afraid to spend money happy they brought him on board. teams that spend money win. teams that are cheap higher people like you to write garbage. we are all hip to you and your man crush for kyle orton. imo the guy sucks what is it going to take another man handling from the pathetic pack for you to write an apology letter to us.
Umm have you not been watching Matt Forte at all this season? This guy is going to be the next Marshall Faulk. Thomas Jones is allright but he is not worth the money the Jets are paying him. Can we stop mentioning Rex Grossman please? The guy is a loser and will always be a loser.
AZ Bear Fan

Chandler, AZ

#14 Dec 15, 2008
Haugh the reason why the bears will miss the playoffs is because they have the worst coaching staff in the NFL. A blind monkey can do a better job coaching the bears than Lovie Smith and his BFF Babich.
sam

Winnetka, CA

#16 Dec 16, 2008
hey haugh,Berrian was a loser.I remember when in one game last year he did not even attempt to make a block at the goal line that could have resulted in a running touchdown for the bears and that proved to be the difference in that game.that is one player with no heart.any way the team needs much more pressing need especially at defense.they paid tommie harris 40 million and he hasn't done jack in the past 2 seasons.and lastly mr. haugh have some dignity and quit referring to orton as the solution at QB.
Rocket Man

Ithaca, NY

#17 Dec 16, 2008
I hope Lovie and Jerry learned their lesson. They should have franchised Berrian for one year. They have really made some bad personnel moves lately. Examples include letting go guys like Bobby Wade, Justin Gage, the high draft choice blunders, signing average at best defenders to long-term, high-priced contracts, and the latest and biggest blunder, let go the only deep threat the Bears have had at WR since Willie Gault.

Doesn't Ted Phillips realize what has happened over the past few years? I cannot wait until Michael McCaskey's son, Jon, fulfills his West Point obligation, grows up, and takes over. When I knew John at West Point, I could tell he has the fire in him to become a very good owner of the Bears in the future.
Al R

Muncie, IN

#18 Dec 16, 2008
Sorry, but where was berrian at last season? Oh, Yeah dropping the ball, not blocking defenders. And where was he at when we lost to the Vikes last season? Did the vikes lose games this season? I think so! Did we beat them with out Berrian this season? I think so! Do they have AP? I think so! Did you not critisize Berrian last season? Yep! It must be good to come to work and down the home team, go back on your word and still get a check! The bears are the bears that's why fans still go to the games. It's an Iconic team that produces blue collard names. If you don't like the quality move to Boston or Indianapolis where you can rave about such good personell. As for me I will work with what I have and be glad Kyle Orton doesn't run into DE and holds on to the ball. I'll be happy that yet again the Bears have another Hall of Fame MLB. And Im greatfull that we picked up An exciting player like Hester. I know it's Lowbrow but this is why root, cheer, love, hate the Bears. It's my kind of blue-collard team!
slimBodidicus

Kansas City, MO

#20 Dec 16, 2008
How do you spell Jack Benny? J-e-r-r-y A-n-g-e-l-o.
Chris R

United States

#21 Dec 16, 2008
Rocket Man wrote:
... I cannot wait until Michael McCaskey's son, Jon, fulfills his West Point obligation, grows up, and takes over...
Rocket Man, thanks for wrecking my day.

A North Shore upbringing followed by West Point - now that sounds like a fine crucible to form an owner from. A whole lot of life experience there. Maybe he can write a book called "Ownership the Old Fashioned Way - Through Third-generation Inheritance".

It's too early in the morning to ponder the thought of another generation of McClaskeys ru(i)nning things, though since they took Michael's toy away and gave it to the rest of the family they have at least been quiet of late. Though the spending has been on the wrong personnel (not their fault), at least they haven't been on the cheap of late.

New ownership would bring a true new beginning.
Josh

Geneseo, IL

#22 Dec 16, 2008
and actual hes on pace to get 1000 yards so he doesnt just make a few plays here and there hes making alot of them.
Jim

Chicago, IL

#23 Dec 16, 2008
Another idiotic aticle by Haugh. Berrian was not worth 7 mil a year. If you are going to be making 7 mil a year you better be making a difference every game not just once in a while. 42 receptions with 6 TD's are not 7 mil a year type of numbers. Lets not forget the drops and the alligator arms he tends to have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Devin Hester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutler sparkles, leads Bears over Falcons (Oct '14) Oct '14 VaJayna 2
News NFL Preseason 2014: Atlanta Falcons vs. Jackson... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Garbageuars 1
News Time For Brian Urlacher and Chicago Bears To Pa... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Steven 1
News Bears QB Cutler out at Redskins with groin injury (Oct '13) Oct '13 Mike Dickta 2
News Offense not clicking, Bears beat Chargers 33-28 (Aug '13) Aug '13 Go Blue Forever 1
News Darren Sharper Think the Bears Can Compete with... (Jun '13) Jul '13 DagoT 21
News The question:Who should be the Green Bay Packer... (Jun '13) Jun '13 GBPfan 6
More from around the web