Pittsburgh Steelers' Positional Break...

Pittsburgh Steelers' Positional Breakdown: The Quarterbacks

There are 8 comments on the Bleacher Report story from May 9, 2009, titled Pittsburgh Steelers' Positional Breakdown: The Quarterbacks. In it, Bleacher Report reports that:

Day One of the Pittsburgh Steelers positional breakdown analysis - The Quarterbacks The Pittsburgh Steelers currently have five quarterbacks on the roster and by tradition that's two more then normally makes the final 53 man roster in the 'Burgh... by Jim McMillen 5 reads Opinion Day One of the Pittsburgh Steelers positional breakdown analysis - ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bleacher Report.

Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#1 May 11, 2009
I just don't see the downside to making Dixon the #2 QB. We need to get him on the field more, and if Batch is #3, he'll still be available if one of the others gets injured.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Since: Feb 08

East Butler, PA

#2 May 12, 2009
Rex J Steelman wrote:
I just don't see the downside to making Dixon the #2 QB. We need to get him on the field more, and if Batch is #3, he'll still be available if one of the others gets injured.
I think we all agree that would be the best approach. the other two guys are going to fight it out for a P squad slot.

“Steelers Forever”

Since: Dec 07

Cranberry Township PA

#3 May 12, 2009
Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we all agree that would be the best approach. the other two guys are going to fight it out for a P squad slot.
Me thinks Dixon will be #2 sometime this season...maybe out of camp. Charlie's days are for sure getting shorter. This Reilly kid is also interesting. He throws a 40 yarder at 58 mph. Whoa!

STEELERS ROCK!!!

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

East Butler, PA

#4 May 12, 2009
Bill in Cranberry wrote:
<quoted text>
Me thinks Dixon will be #2 sometime this season...maybe out of camp. Charlie's days are for sure getting shorter. This Reilly kid is also interesting. He throws a 40 yarder at 58 mph. Whoa!
STEELERS ROCK!!!
I think we all agree on this forum that Batch will eventually become a QB coach in this league and hopefully for the Steelers! He's 34, turns 35 in Dec. I would guess he has 2 more years as a player.

Since: Apr 08

Omaha, NE

#5 May 12, 2009
Lets be honest. I'd rather have Batch under center if something happens to Roeth than Dixon. Dennis is a great athlete and another bright spot for the future of the franchise. But I'll take game time experience and field-tested toughness over youthful optimism any day. Would it be great if either Reilly or Dixon stepped it up in camp? Yeah, of course. But Batch is there, still armed with an accurate pass, and has the experience not to get bogged down in big games. One of the most painful moments of early fall last year was seeing Batch go down with a broken collarbone. I was almost certain Roeth was going to go down with injury sometime last season (turns out I was right...fortunately for us, it was the last regular season game).

Sorry...my point is, Batch has game time experience. Something neither of those other "rooks" have. I am optimistic about Dixon tho. He seems to have a quick release, quick feet, and the ability to easily read defenses. His performance in the 3rd preseason game was enough to convince me he was the real deal. And I HATE...I repeat, HATE, all these black quarterbacks that have coaches that want to turn them into 'slash' players.

It didn't work for us back in the 90's. It ain't gonna work for us now. Sure, a few trick plays might get us to the playoffs, but its not gonna get us to the SB. Take Miami for example. Great when they play teams that are 8-8. Crappy against teams that are 10-6 or above. Disciplined defenses do not fall for these trip plays. The Steelers won't, when we play the Dolphins next year (I believe we do?). Anyway. Yet another rant I'm ending.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

East Butler, PA

#6 May 13, 2009
LZ-Steel wrote:
Lets be honest. I'd rather have Batch under center if something happens to Roeth than Dixon. Dennis is a great athlete and another bright spot for the future of the franchise. But I'll take game time experience and field-tested toughness over youthful optimism any day. Would it be great if either Reilly or Dixon stepped it up in camp? Yeah, of course. But Batch is there, still armed with an accurate pass, and has the experience not to get bogged down in big games. One of the most painful moments of early fall last year was seeing Batch go down with a broken collarbone. I was almost certain Roeth was going to go down with injury sometime last season (turns out I was right...fortunately for us, it was the last regular season game).
Sorry...my point is, Batch has game time experience. Something neither of those other "rooks" have. I am optimistic about Dixon tho. He seems to have a quick release, quick feet, and the ability to easily read defenses. His performance in the 3rd preseason game was enough to convince me he was the real deal. And I HATE...I repeat, HATE, all these black quarterbacks that have coaches that want to turn them into 'slash' players.
It didn't work for us back in the 90's. It ain't gonna work for us now. Sure, a few trick plays might get us to the playoffs, but its not gonna get us to the SB. Take Miami for example. Great when they play teams that are 8-8. Crappy against teams that are 10-6 or above. Disciplined defenses do not fall for these trip plays. The Steelers won't, when we play the Dolphins next year (I believe we do?). Anyway. Yet another rant I'm ending.
the strategy would be to use dixon as the #2 not to replace Ben if he's injured but to get him on the field, in the slot, under center, in the backfield...if he's #3 you can't do that. A trick play here or there can break the back of the other team. Hell it got through the playoffs and even won us a super a super bowl a few years back.

Batch would be the obvious choice if ben went down. he has the experience.

“Steelers Forever”

Since: Dec 07

Cranberry Township PA

#7 May 13, 2009
Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
the strategy would be to use dixon as the #2 not to replace Ben if he's injured but to get him on the field, in the slot, under center, in the backfield...if he's #3 you can't do that. A trick play here or there can break the back of the other team. Hell it got through the playoffs and even won us a super a super bowl a few years back.
Batch would be the obvious choice if ben went down. he has the experience.
No doubt, however, I think Dixon is going to surprise many at camp. This kid works super hard and is very intelligent. He will have the play book under control and much more confidence. I think they will see a need to get him on the field in some kind of capacity out of the backfield.

STEELERS ROCK !!!

Since: Apr 08

Monroe, LA

#8 May 13, 2009
Bill in Cranberry wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt, however, I think Dixon is going to surprise many at camp. This kid works super hard and is very intelligent. He will have the play book under control and much more confidence. I think they will see a need to get him on the field in some kind of capacity out of the backfield.
STEELERS ROCK !!!
Can't argue with that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dennis Dixon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Michael Vick Ranked 21st Best QB In NFL (May '13) Dec '13 just do it 67
News Who has the worst quarterback situation enterin... (Jun '13) Jul '13 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News Report: Kansas City Chiefs interested in tradin... (Feb '13) Feb '13 just do it 3
News Leftwich to start at QB for Steelers on Sunday (Nov '12) Nov '12 We Are Marshall 8
Dixion (Jun '12) Jun '12 Terry 1
News Rashard Mendenhall is Dancing, Too (Mar '11) Mar '11 CLS 09-28-1975 1
News Big Ben to Gentle Ben (Jan '11) Jan '11 Woot 1
More from around the web