Oakland Raiders' Short-Term Pain, Off...

Oakland Raiders' Short-Term Pain, Offseason Inactivity Will Equal Long-Term Gain

There are 37 comments on the bleacherreport.com story from Mar 18, 2013, titled Oakland Raiders' Short-Term Pain, Offseason Inactivity Will Equal Long-Term Gain. In it, bleacherreport.com reports that:

Lack of free-agent signings and a general offseason inactivity will create some short-term pain within the fanbase.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at bleacherreport.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Freddy

Paducah, KY

#21 Mar 21, 2013
I am not sure he won very many games when he was calling the plays. I just remember him beating Tampa Bay and Jon Gruden (his last game with the Bucs) and Michael Bush had a great game. I think they went 8-8 the following year with Hue calling the plays.

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

" I DA HO " !

#22 Mar 21, 2013
new coaches, decent coaches, and bad coaches come and go. so do players of all qualities. to me right now, it's not so much about the players that have gone and now newly signed. yea, i disapprove of mckenzies way of doing things, but it's more about the head coaches and the way they will coach to bring this team forward. as you guys know, i haven't been too happy with dennis allen. not so much his persona, but because he had no "head coaching" skills. he could have been lucky and hit it right and been a good or great coach. he's good because he's nice. stays on top of things. seems sharp, but was just lacking that main role of leading coach play caller. so, there's no hate there. just not happy with his inexperience. this is where i am more at eaz, i'm glad we hired tony sparano as assistant head coach. and? may i say i don't mind that d allen is still head coach. but i do wish that sparano stepped in as head coach of the RAIDERS. YES I KNOW, i'm crazy right? to tell you guys the truth, i wouldn't doubt mckenzie hired sparano just incase! cause he admitted himself that DA lacked the experience. that he was "a rookie". i wouldn't doubt there was a choice between DA and knapp to be fired. well, i think he liked DA's character better (lol). but what i'm really saying is, i feel better that sparano is here. now i don't mind greg olson. they all claim they want to adapt to the players and listen to them more and use their best talents of what they like t do best. now it's up to them to coach "whatever" players they have or get. if there is something that will get me looking forward to this season, it's sparano! okay, you guys can cuss me out now! but at least it's a step forward to all the negativity that i've been posting on here right? even if i'm wrong?(lol).
"HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE" as a matter of fact, sparano talks RAIDERS history! is excited about that and, how nice is that? at least he knows what planet he's on.
=)
RAIDERS 2013!!!
Freddy

Paducah, KY

#23 Mar 22, 2013
I don't think your being negative. I just think you are not in a group of Lemmings swallowing all the crap right over the cliff. DA could have easily been fired last season with Knapp. But Knapp leaves, he admits the change to the offense that did not fit the personnel was a "mistake" and finishes off by trumpeting taking the Raiders back to the Raider greatness or the Raider way of doing things. He said the right things at the end of last season to prevent his firing. Now he comes out trumpeting patience. What?
Captain Canada

Virden, Canada

#24 Mar 22, 2013
Freddy wrote:
The people who buy this is the way to a SuperBowl win are the same people who buy Jamarcus Russell should be the #1 overall pick once upon on a time.
Ha, that would have been an awful lot of people Freddy, including a vast majority of NFL G.M.'s, as he was #1 on most of the draft boards I saw that year. Interesting nonsensical correlation though. Are you suggesting that the people who would have preferred drafting Brady Quinn at #1 (despite the fact that he almost dropped to the second round), would be vastly superior NFL G.M.'s? If the Raiders didn't select Russell at #1, the next team up needing a QB at the time would have jumped at him. Yes, it was an unfortunate year to select #1 with a glaring need at QB, but hindsight is always 20/20.
Freddy

Paducah, KY

#25 Mar 22, 2013
Captain Canada wrote:
<quoted text>Ha, that would have been an awful lot of people Freddy, including a vast majority of NFL G.M.'s, as he was #1 on most of the draft boards I saw that year. Interesting nonsensical correlation though. Are you suggesting that the people who would have preferred drafting Brady Quinn at #1 (despite the fact that he almost dropped to the second round), would be vastly superior NFL G.M.'s? If the Raiders didn't select Russell at #1, the next team up needing a QB at the time would have jumped at him. Yes, it was an unfortunate year to select #1 with a glaring need at QB, but hindsight is always 20/20.
No. Nothing about Brady Quinn. It was more about the vast majority thought Russell was the ticket (like you said again today). People on here predicting great things for a Russell-lead Raider team. A couple of us, maybe three, saying that won't be the case, and how many people disagreed with us and expressed their "ill-will" towards us who did not agree with the Russell pick. So many people, believing they were right, especially since all the "experts" were saying the same thing. That is the correlation with "today's method of building a team or the business model mularkey". Having said that, and for ol' time sakes, Quinn was still the right choice. He was a better match with Kiffin and the Offense that they were trying to install. A much better Organization then what he had in Cleveland. He would have showed up on time and he had the work ethic that Russell lacked (as we mentioned back then). Ha.
Captain Canada

Virden, Canada

#26 Mar 22, 2013
Would've, could've, should've. Both Quinn and Russell were part of arguably the worst position of any draft class in the history of the NFL. Stanton, Edwards, Kolb,and company all set their franchises back a few years. Russell's skill set and ceiling was far too enticing for Al to pass up on. I still don't blame him for that as he was looking for, in your words, a dominant player at the position, and not "just" a hard-worker and over-achiever, especially at the #1 spot, That's why 20 other subsequent teams also passed on Quinn (who I watched live in KC last year, and he still sucked! Ha.) McKenzie came into a situation in which there were salary-cap issues, very few draft picks, a dearth of roster talent, and out-of-whack contracts (30 million in dead money this year, God bless you Al, but Stanford Routt also sucked in KC last year!). I personally don't know what we have yet in McKenzie and Co. I would have liked to have seen Hue kept around, but unfortunately his mouth wrote his own ticket out of Oakland. This will take at least three years to turn-around, and that's WITH good drafting, AND the addition of dominant free agents when the books are back in order. The turnstile approach to coaches and systems hasn't been working out so well.
Freddy

Paducah, KY

#27 Mar 23, 2013
Captain Canada wrote:
Would've, could've, should've. Both Quinn and Russell were part of arguably the worst position of any draft class in the history of the NFL. Stanton, Edwards, Kolb,and company all set their franchises back a few years. Russell's skill set and ceiling was far too enticing for Al to pass up on. I still don't blame him for that as he was looking for, in your words, a dominant player at the position, and not "just" a hard-worker and over-achiever, especially at the #1 spot, That's why 20 other subsequent teams also passed on Quinn (who I watched live in KC last year, and he still sucked! Ha.) McKenzie came into a situation in which there were salary-cap issues, very few draft picks, a dearth of roster talent, and out-of-whack contracts (30 million in dead money this year, God bless you Al, but Stanford Routt also sucked in KC last year!). I personally don't know what we have yet in McKenzie and Co. I would have liked to have seen Hue kept around, but unfortunately his mouth wrote his own ticket out of Oakland. This will take at least three years to turn-around, and that's WITH good drafting, AND the addition of dominant free agents when the books are back in order. The turnstile approach to coaches and systems hasn't been working out so well.
Obviously, if Russell was the dominate Raider-type player, I would have been with everyone saying to pick him. He wasn't going to be that player. As far ar Rhoutt and Quinn, KC had a bunch of problems last year and Quinn did not play much of that game. In regards to salary cap, Palmer's contract was not part of the equation. OK. But it more than the Cap. RM and DA have come in here and said everything is wrong. The cap-mangement is wrong and won't be done that way. The type of players are wrong; the scouting department is wrong, and thing that bugs me the most, is how they will be treating the players moving forward (no more Raider Family) and the distain for global Raider image and spirit. They just don't get it. In fact, if they could get rid of lighting the torch before each game, they probaby would. Everyhting is wrong. I have seen it before. Mike Shannahan in LA. Everything is wrong, process, players, the way the team practiced. And Al gave him a long leash. Too bad, Al realized too late that Shannahan was the wrong choice and it destroyed the reminents of the 84 team, Flores and Madden.
Captain Canada

Winnipeg, Canada

#28 Mar 23, 2013
Just saying Freddy that myself, Al, and a vast majority of the NFL "experts" at the time had Russell ranked significantly higher than Quinn and the rest of that scrub QB class of 2007. Raiders did their due diligence, interviewing LSU and high school coaches, teammates, acquaintances, etc, who raved about Russell's drive, leadership, and of course, talent. It's always hard to predict what a huge contract, and going to a poor team will do to a rookie (especially a QB). In the end, unfortunately, he will best be remembered for becoming the poster-child for a rookie salary cap. Quinn had his opportunity to start the game I attended in KC,(as well as several others in his career), ahead of a media/fan besieged Cassell, and was soon concussed, as he was oblivious to a blitzing Slolando McClain. If he couldn't succeed against THAT Raiders defense, well, I'll leave it at that. As Raider beat writer Steve Corkran stated many times last year, he didn't think that ANY of the Raiders defenders last season could have started for the '49'ers, who he also covers from time to time. That's pitiful! I hope you are wrong about McKenzie and DA wanting to dismantle everything Raider, but God knows that there is much that needs to be changed. Change takes time,(I'll give them 3 years), and will be judged by wins and losses. Every NFL fan's least favorite word is "patience". The only free agent that they lost thus far that I wish they would have found a way to afford was Brandon Myers. I am all for them keeping Palmer around, but believe it will also have to be for a reduced number.
Freddy

Paducah, KY

#29 Mar 23, 2013
Captain Canada wrote:
Just saying Freddy that myself, Al, and a vast majority of the NFL "experts" at the time had Russell ranked significantly higher than Quinn and the rest of that scrub QB class of 2007. Raiders did their due diligence, interviewing LSU and high school coaches, teammates, acquaintances, etc, who raved about Russell's drive, leadership, and of course, talent. It's always hard to predict what a huge contract, and going to a poor team will do to a rookie (especially a QB). In the end, unfortunately, he will best be remembered for becoming the poster-child for a rookie salary cap. Quinn had his opportunity to start the game I attended in KC,(as well as several others in his career), ahead of a media/fan besieged Cassell, and was soon concussed, as he was oblivious to a blitzing Slolando McClain. If he couldn't succeed against THAT Raiders defense, well, I'll leave it at that. As Raider beat writer Steve Corkran stated many times last year, he didn't think that ANY of the Raiders defenders last season could have started for the '49'ers, who he also covers from time to time. That's pitiful! I hope you are wrong about McKenzie and DA wanting to dismantle everything Raider, but God knows that there is much that needs to be changed. Change takes time,(I'll give them 3 years), and will be judged by wins and losses. Every NFL fan's least favorite word is "patience". The only free agent that they lost thus far that I wish they would have found a way to afford was Brandon Myers. I am all for them keeping Palmer around, but believe it will also have to be for a reduced number.
I still can't believe you are justifying yourself and the pick for Russell. This goes back to the correlation. I was not talking about Quinn, I was talking about how so many people believed they were right. As far as the game, KC was messed up last year. Quinn, Cassel and Bowe-less offense. They were messed-up. Regardless, I was explaining the correlation, not discussing Quinn. As far as "much that needs to be changed", I disagree 100%. That is where DA and RM are wrong. They just didn't take the time and still don't take the time to look around and try to comprehend the important parts of an organization. They think they know how to do it; believe the critiques against the Raider Organization and Al; just like Shannahan. This is bigger than a free agent, cap management, wins. It is the big-picture, the Raider image. I guess Misterio and I are the only ones who see it (not intended to be a dig at anyone; don't know how else to write it).
Captain Canada

Wawanesa, Canada

#30 Mar 23, 2013
I still can't believe that you can't see the Raiders justification for drafting Russell over crappy Quinn. (Raiders D was just as messed up as KC's O last year, and Bowe played well in that game). We both know that the only cure for the Raiders currently tarnished image, is a return to winning championships. I am willing to be patient for 2 more years under the McKenzie/Allen administration to see if they can turn around the past decade of futility under Al(RIP). Madden's endorsement of McKenzie gives me hope.

“PLAY TO WIN”

" I DA HO " !

#31 Mar 23, 2013
i ain't upset at anyone who wants to believe in the green bay way. im just not with you guys there in that thought. it's all a matter of opinion as we always say and i don't want it to get in the RAIDER nation topix family here. so, i'm glad you all state your opinions. cause without you guys and the, me critic, it can look a little one sided lopsided. but it's cool. i'm just not patient like some of you to go the two or three years "without competing". i'm upset with the way things are being run around here AND, i'm upset with us waiting years to make a perfect team just to win. we used to win with "commitment to excellence" and the "just win baby". HAS ANYBODY heard reggie mckenzie utter those words? or say them, or mumble them? THAT'S where it really hits me deep! like i said before, he could've lied to me and i would have believed it. I'M NOT SAYING IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK. i'm just saying it didn't start off good last season and this year is already starting exactly like last season. and if that's convincing you all to go three seasons, it's cool. i've heard your cry's and statements. i've stated my statements and my cry's... NOT HAPPY! but it doesn't mean i'm against none of you. you're my RAIDER family! well, unless you guys reject me?(LOL). i believe in the "RAIDER WAY" right where the RAIDER heart is! RAIDERS compete every season! i guess that's why i always wear black!
;)
RAIDERS 2013!!!
Captain Canada

Shilo, Canada

#32 Mar 25, 2013
Cool, as always, Real Misterio. My Dad used to say "if two people always agree on everything, one of them isn't necessary". It would be a very boring topix page if we all agreed on everything.
Freddy

Paducah, KY

#33 Mar 25, 2013
Captain Canada wrote:
I still can't believe that you can't see the Raiders justification for drafting Russell over crappy Quinn.(Raiders D was just as messed up as KC's O last year, and Bowe played well in that game). We both know that the only cure for the Raiders currently tarnished image, is a return to winning championships. I am willing to be patient for 2 more years under the McKenzie/Allen administration to see if they can turn around the past decade of futility under Al(RIP). Madden's endorsement of McKenzie gives me hope.
Really? There was no justification for the Raiders taking Russell or taking Russell over Quinn. I said it back then and I am saying it now.

“Undertaker Raiders Simona S”

Since: Apr 11

The Blackhole

#34 Mar 25, 2013
As long as we are trying to build a football team and not sprint relay teams I'm all in. The new regime just hasn't had enough time to show what they are all about. Despite being tired of losing, I'm actually happy to see us heading in the direction we needed to go...I mean I don't think McKenzie would've fired Tom Cable after finally getting us out of the cellar if he was "his" guy after 7 straight losing seasons
Captain Canada

Brandon, Canada

#35 Mar 25, 2013
Freddy wrote:
<quoted text>Really? There was no justification for the Raiders taking Russell or taking Russell over Quinn. I said it back then and I am saying it now.
Yes, really. There was much justification for the Raiders drafting him in 2007, both tangibles (off the charts talent), and intangibles (according to numerous interviews with former coaches, teammates, etc.)Teams drafting that high usually do a bit of home-work on their prospects. I'm guessing that Russell would have been ahead of Quinn on EVERY team's draft board. Just no crystal ball unfortunately. So hey Freddy, good for you for predicting that Quinn would be a horrible QB in the league longer than Russell was.

“PLAY TO WIN”

" I DA HO " !

#36 Mar 26, 2013
Captain Canada wrote:
Cool, as always, Real Misterio. My Dad used to say "if two people always agree on everything, one of them isn't necessary". It would be a very boring topix page if we all agreed on everything.
thank you! SEE, you are the captain!.

RAIDERS 2013!!!
JRaiders

North Chicago, IL

#37 Mar 26, 2013
T-Pryor should get a chance. Get rid of Palmer and add a running back through FA and some CB's. With the first pick get Shriff Floyd (however you spells his name) keep Kelly and build a strong front 7. If you have a strong front seven; average CB's will look great. In the draft we should only choose Defense and Olinemens. I got us being 7-9

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denarius Moore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Raiders have to settle for moral victory (Sep '14) Sep '14 That Fart Guy 10
News 5 Things Oakland Raiders Must Accomplish During... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Haleys Commet 7
News Reggie McKenzie Strikes the Wrong Note in Claim... (May '14) May '14 Haleys Commet 1
News Raiders claim WR Greg Little off waivers (May '14) May '14 Haleys Commet 2
News 5 Creative Moves the New York Jets Can Pull on ... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Four of ten worst catch rates made up of curren... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Oakland Raiders Rumors: DeSean Jackson a Perfec... (Mar '14) Apr '14 Reggie McWTF 43
More from around the web