Harper makes his move, to division foe Titans

There are 20 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 13, 2007, titled Harper makes his move, to division foe Titans. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

More videos - select from menu Colts parade and rally - 02/05 Time-lapse of the Super Bowl - 02/05 Fans in Indy celebrate - 02/05 Blue Crew party in Miami - 02/04 Super Bowl XLI: Miami style - 2/3 Coaches speak ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jack Harrington

Kingman, AZ

#1 Mar 13, 2007
Not good!
Doing Just Fine

Louisville, KY

#3 Mar 13, 2007
Bye!

Colts incredibly fast pass rush defense made a decent DB a good one. He is an average corner at best. He is VERY expendable.

Good news is we can still see him twice a year.
0ICU812

Beverly Hills, FL

#4 Mar 13, 2007
I remember Nick Harper. He had his own off-field incident and was arrested in Jan. 2006 on a domestic battery charge after police said he hit his wife and she was jailed on charges of cutting him with a knife.

Danielle Harper "suffered an abrasion near her eye, which was reportedly due to being struck by her husband, Nick."

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/coltsnews/harper...

"There was not an accident," Harper and his wife had been involved in a fight.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story...

Tony Dungy allowed him to play after that?

Harper doesn't have any recent experience in the man-to-man style defense the Titans run but they do need a CB don’t they? At 5-foot-10 and 32 years old, tall fast receivers will burn him. A desperation signing by the Titans.

Read the 'Tennessean' article about Vince Young being a magnet that will bring free agents to Tennessee.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ...

If Vince Young 's a magnet, he didn’t attract the Titans best free agents, or draw any significant free agents yet. The players “know where they are heading."
pez

Hayward, CA

#5 Mar 13, 2007
hey maybe u can lure mike lewis outta retirement
No Problem

Evansville, IN

#6 Mar 14, 2007
This is not a big deal. It seems like Kelvin Hayden replaced Harper just fine in the Super Bowl. Plus we have Marlin Jackson and another high draft pick Tim Jennings. Odds are one of the three will be better than Harper was.
Brian

Providence, RI

#7 Mar 14, 2007
A national columnist (sorry, I can't remember who) has Clement as a "B+" DB, and Harper as a "B" DB (assuming he is used primarily in Cover 2). There is no guarantee that the replacements will play at that level. Harper has been the Colts' best corner, and wasn't slowing down last season. He'll be missed.

Another note on Free Agents. The ability to keep rookies as indentured servants with long rookie contracts has been severly diminished. By the time they are producing now, they are out on the market. It becomes less attractive to let veterans go with the new CBA; the young replacements become available to other teams after only two years. The landscape has changed. I'm sure that's why the Patriots are altering their philosophy. The six year rookie contracts are no more.
Tim

Greensboro, NC

#8 Mar 14, 2007
OK this better be it as far as free agent losses. I thought Rhodes was most expendable and Oakland grossly overpaid for his services. The details of Harper's contract were not released but I imagine Tennessee has overpaid for him as well given that he's 32 and was on a team that won the Super Bowl.

But Manning and Mathis restructured their deals to save tons of cap room. Stokeleys been released. Simon will probably be released. The cap has gone up 7 million. So get your act together and get Freeney locked up, get June locked up, get Jason David locked up and see what's left for anybody else.
dwb

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Mar 14, 2007
Polian has consistently built the most competitive rosters in the league for the past 12-15 years.

We will win at least 10 games next season and be in the playoffs again. Polian focused on the players we needed to keep and so far we have. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cato back. We have three players ready to replace Harper.

Trust in the Polian..

Since: Jan 07

Newark, NJ

#10 Mar 14, 2007
It is not the end of the world, but I am not going to dog this guy out either. He has helped the Colts get to the SuperBowl, for that his efforts should be applauded as much as any other free agent...(a nice hit on the tight end from the Ravens in the playoffs)... He certainly was more instrumental than Branden Stokely and he will be missed too.

I am just sick of the Jaguars and the Titans going after our defensive players. What? Are they trying to crack Manning's offensive strategy? Next we will see Cato June going to the Texans.
Louisville Colts

Louisville, KY

#11 Mar 14, 2007
I think Polian prepared for this a couple of years ago when he drafted Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden 1-2. Yeah, I liked Nick Harper, but at 32 years old, how much do you invest in him when you have some CBs on the roster, and you need to pay for June and Freeney?

We don't have the 2nd rounder in the draft this year because Polian traded for Booger, and we have the 32nd pick overall. I hope that Polian can pull out a LB or DT rabbit out of that hat.

As for Free Agents, I think signing Rob Morris is a big deal. This guy used to be just awful in the middle, but he really played well on the outside this year.
Perfect

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Mar 14, 2007
8 - 8 next season at best.....the indianapolis dolts will not be in the playoffs next year.....enjoy your one and only lombardi trophy.....
ERUC

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Mar 14, 2007
We have acceptable depth at DB, what worries me are the Colts linebacker group. I say they need to address that during the draft, or what the hell, get a good free agent.

As long as we have Manning we will be alright,.... so relax.
Will

United States

#14 Mar 14, 2007
Cant Blame these guys if they wanna get paid. Its not Nick Harper who had the game clinching td return in the SB. Colts will be fine.
Get Over It Already

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Mar 14, 2007
Oh my, you doomsday people are unreal. Harper is OLD. The young bucks will more than adequately replace him. Get over it.
And, on another note, once and for all, please shut up about the Colts raising the ticket prices "because they won the Super Bowl". That decision was made before that game. I know, because I'm a season ticketholder. And, if I were a betting man, I'd bet anything that all you who are whining about them raising the ticket prices DON'T EVEN GO TO THE GAMES ANYWAY, you just enjoy B****ING about it, because that's your nature and you just have to b***h about something every day. Why don't you do something constructive and go to New York and track down that idiot who beats up 101 year old women and take out your aggression on him?
BoilerUp

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Mar 14, 2007
Not missed at all. We can't keep guys whose wives carve them up the week before he picks up the most important fumble in his life to be stopped by the biggest, slowest QB in the league. Man he had all field and no speed. He's 32 and not getting any faster, so ease up on Polian. I think he just engineered a team to the SB Championship. Oh yeah, Peyton may have saved us money this year, but is costing more for the remainder of his contract. We'll do the same thing every year, and this draft young talent and get one piece in the middle of the season that makes a difference.
Dmills

United States

#17 Mar 14, 2007
The thing Indianapolis will remember Nick Harper for is getting himself stabbed in the leg the night before a playoff game and then making a poor decision to let himself be tackled by Ben Roethlesburger (sic).

Without those sequence of events, we'd be here talking about if the Colts can win 3 in a row.
IndyColtFan

Shawnee, KS

#18 Mar 14, 2007
Perfect wrote:
8 - 8 next season at best.....the indianapolis dolts will not be in the playoffs next year.....enjoy your one and only lombardi trophy.....
You're a moron. I made good money off of a couple of idiots like you who made these same stupid claims last year. Come week nine, they were whining and wanting to restructure their wagers. I can tell that you are obviously broke from the same mold that they are by the way you run your foolish mouth. So how about it Mr. Perfect, do you have the pair to back up these idiotic claims that you make? Or are you just another bitter hater who can't stand to see the Colts succeed? If your foolish pride is great enough to actually put your money where your mouth is, then you must be ignorant to the old adage that "a fool and his money, are soon parted."
BillyBaroo

United States

#19 Mar 14, 2007
Next
Reflection

Piqua, OH

#20 Mar 14, 2007
The Colts just got better. And as far as the guy who touts Jason David... YIKES! We call him "Toast" in our group. He's always getting burned!

And, it's always great to hear from Jealous Carmel Bear fan pukes who are still pissed off... thanks man.

BTW I'm kinda glad Harper is gone. Bad memories of him letting Ben Freakin Rothlesberger tackle him in the open field when it should have gone the distance for a TD and win! ARGH!

Since: Mar 07

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Mar 14, 2007
Perfect wrote:
You sound like a Pats fan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Thornton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fisher: Young not welcome at team meeting (Nov '10) Nov '10 Disappointed 3
News Fisher: Young not welcome for 'obvious reasons' (Nov '10) Nov '10 triple6vamp 1
News Titans' younger D work in progress due to injuries (Aug '10) Aug '10 triple6vamp 1
News Keith Bulluck Out For Season With Torn ACL - Ne... (Dec '09) Dec '09 banger 4
News Genesco Teams With Titan For Shoe Giveaway - Ne... (Dec '09) Dec '09 Sugaray 1
News Tennessee still Peyton's place (Dec '09) Dec '09 josh tankersley 2
News On their day off, Titans staying busy in the co... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Samantha 1
More from around the web