If Russell fails, Raiders are the bla...

If Russell fails, Raiders are the blame - Berryessa Sun

There are 31 comments on the Berryessa Sun story from Nov 16, 2008, titled If Russell fails, Raiders are the blame - Berryessa Sun. In it, Berryessa Sun reports that:

TOM CABLE will get beyond this debacle of a charade of a season. So, too, will Greg Knapp and the rest of the Raiders coaches.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berryessa Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JD-oak

San Francisco, CA

#1 Nov 16, 2008
Yes, the Raiders are hurting Russel's chances to succeed by not giving him an offensive line but his SUB-50% completion rate is his own doing. The man couldn't hit the side of a barn with that cannon of his. The bottom line is that Russel should never have been drafted as high as he was. If the Raiders don't draft him at #01 he falls down to the late teens. How long is it going to take before the NFL, it's fans, and so-called "experts" realize that big, athletic QBs don't do well in the NFL. Culpepper (only good when he had Moss to throw at), Michael Vick (nuff said), Vince Young, and now JaMarcus Russel. They all end up failing and that is because being QB in the NFL requires BRAINS not brawn.
You can blame the Raiders for not giving him a lot of support but you can't blame them for his failing. Many times this year I have watched the line give him plenty of time and he has had receivers open but he was locked onto his first option the entire play. Many times he has had an open receiver and threw it 10 yards over his head or into the turf at his feet.
You say that if you draft a franchise quarterback that nothing is more important than his development. Have you considered that maybe Russel ISN'T a franchise quarterback? Seriously, no other team in the NFL wanted him or thought he was a franchise quarterback. The Raiders SETTLED out of panic instead of developing an offensive line to protect Andrew Walter which would have been the correct course of action.
Stewcrew

Encinitas, CA

#2 Nov 16, 2008
I thought it was wrong to take him. College and pro level football as we know are like night and day. And when these organizations give these players all this money and to have not even proven themselves at the next level is absurd. There should be a scale for positions and players coming out of college. and then after 2-3 years if they are able to advance then like you and me a raise is in the future. But why give a guy $50 million and he hasn't even played a down. As for A.D. he needs to get a clue, bow out gracefully and let someone take over this organization. We have 22 players that could start on other teams and with the way they're playing who wants to get hurt in the prime of their career. Yeah they love the game but they have to worry about their futures and what happens when it's time to retire. Come on and let them go, and your fans will still be grateful for the Glory Days...
Raiders Jokes

AOL

#3 Nov 16, 2008
It is also wrong to spend hours on Topix looking for gay dudes named "Micheal" while your Raiders suck.

But then again, I guess this is all Raider Misterio has left since his tean sucks again. Just so sad. I still get the better of him again!

Gooooo Raiders!!!
Steveo PA

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Nov 17, 2008
I am really getting tied of people acting as if Jamarcus Russell is the bust of the century. The raiders need to make sure in this yars draft they attack two valuable needs one being a left tackle the other being a true number 1 wideout. The radiers have no playmakers on offense the only player capable of a big play is Darren Mcfadden and he isn't being used properly. I don't understand why you draft a running back that high if you don't plan on giving him 20 to 25 touches a game. I know he has been hurt with turf toe, but he can't help the offense if he doesn't have the ball.

“I knew it.Hank's a RaidersFan!”

Since: Feb 07

Raleigh, NC

#5 Nov 17, 2008
You are half right...Jruss is partially to blame for his completetion percentage...but some of that falls on the WR's...Our WR's couldn't catch a cold. That said I felt like we needed to address the line instead of QB and I still think Walter would be a better QB if given a fair shot....he start for a few games a couple years a go but we had an awful O-Line so I don't think judging him based on that was fair. But it is what it is...I think we need a new QB coach to get the maximum out of JRUSS....We also need to trade our first round pick for a proven O-Lineman..
JD-oak wrote:
Yes, the Raiders are hurting Russel's chances to succeed by not giving him an offensive line but his SUB-50% completion rate is his own doing. The man couldn't hit the side of a barn with that cannon of his. The bottom line is that Russel should never have been drafted as high as he was. If the Raiders don't draft him at #01 he falls down to the late teens. How long is it going to take before the NFL, it's fans, and so-called "experts" realize that big, athletic QBs don't do well in the NFL. Culpepper (only good when he had Moss to throw at), Michael Vick (nuff said), Vince Young, and now JaMarcus Russel. They all end up failing and that is because being QB in the NFL requires BRAINS not brawn.
You can blame the Raiders for not giving him a lot of support but you can't blame them for his failing. Many times this year I have watched the line give him plenty of time and he has had receivers open but he was locked onto his first option the entire play. Many times he has had an open receiver and threw it 10 yards over his head or into the turf at his feet.
You say that if you draft a franchise quarterback that nothing is more important than his development. Have you considered that maybe Russel ISN'T a franchise quarterback? Seriously, no other team in the NFL wanted him or thought he was a franchise quarterback. The Raiders SETTLED out of panic instead of developing an offensive line to protect Andrew Walter which would have been the correct course of action.

“I knew it.Hank's a RaidersFan!”

Since: Feb 07

Raleigh, NC

#6 Nov 17, 2008
I don't think he is a bust, but I think we had a great need at O-Line . But since we have him we need to give him the tools to be successful...he needs o-line help first and foremost...if given time he will find WR's...Look at TOm BRady an average QB that was catapulted to stardom because of his O-line. HIs O-line didn't show up during the SB and look what happened...he is an average QB with a GREAT O-line....If you want to win games you have to have an O-line that is formidable.
Steveo PA wrote:
I am really getting tied of people acting as if Jamarcus Russell is the bust of the century. The raiders need to make sure in this yars draft they attack two valuable needs one being a left tackle the other being a true number 1 wideout. The radiers have no playmakers on offense the only player capable of a big play is Darren Mcfadden and he isn't being used properly. I don't understand why you draft a running back that high if you don't plan on giving him 20 to 25 touches a game. I know he has been hurt with turf toe, but he can't help the offense if he doesn't have the ball.
Steveo PA

Pittsburgh, PA

#7 Nov 17, 2008
First of all Im not trying to pull the race card here but facts remain that why is it black quarterbacks seem to labeled bust prematurely. If a black quarterback doesn't produce as soon as he hits the field then he is always considered a bust. While you have quarterback like Joey Harrington, Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, just to name a few I never heard these guys referred to as bust and they have all had more playing time than Jamarcus Russell. I think that it ;is unfair to be so critical of Jamarcus Russell. I remember that all these supposed analyst would say the same thing about Donavon Mcnabb that he will never be a pure passer he relies to much on his footwork. Now look at him he is a top 5 quarterback in this league. I will give Jamarcus all of this year and all of next year before I judge wether he is a bust or not. I can't wait to see when he plays the chargers and the broncos agin I want to see if he can adjust to playing the same defense. This will be a learning curve to see if he to exploit defenses he has already seen.
JD-oak

San Francisco, CA

#8 Nov 17, 2008
Don't get me wrong. I am NOT labeling him a bust. What I am saying is that he NEVER should have been drafted that high and that all he is doing is playing to his potential. This is EXACTLY what I expected from him so I can't say he is a bust. I can say that the Raiders completely blew it by drafting him #01 and paying him $30M though.

As for his skin color, that has absolutely nothing to do with it. ALL quarterbacks are expected to produce as soon as they hit the field and if not, the fans start calling them a bust. However, if you want to bring up race then I will tell you exactly why black QBs seem to fail and it is because of genetics. Black men are generally larger and more athletic than other men. However, athleticism is NOT what you need in an NFL quarterback. You need brains and quick wits. Obviously they need to be more athletic than your standard individual, but they don't need to be super-athletes. NFL GMs seem to be enamored with big strong QBs lately and they almost always fail, black or not. There's just not that many big, strong athletic QBs that are not black. However, as I stated before, I don't think Russel is a bust either. I don't think he EVER had the potential to play QB in the NFL.
Stewcrew

Encinitas, CA

#9 Nov 17, 2008
The owner needs to stop wasting money or you can just put them in the ex-pansion league. Paying a defensive man alot of money when he hasn't done anything is whack too. T.Kelly, sorry to name names but it's T.Sands that's making more of an impact and he didn't get anything. Like I said these guys can't be getting top dollar when they're playing at the bottom of their game. A.D. needs to let control go to someone who is in this time zone....and he can still reap some rewards...Jruss is in the wrong scheme. Don't know why Quinn wasn't looked at. In next to last place again this year and possibly next if something isn't done about this
Diablo

United States

#10 Nov 17, 2008
It has been said Kiffen didn't want Russell and it seems he was right. Can anyone remember Ryan Leaf, I pray we didn't just pay all that money for another pick like Mr. Leaf. Yes, his receivers are horrible Curry should be cut as well as Walker. Arman Shields with his speed could be and should be a suitable replacement as soon as he is able and Chaz Scheilens has great talent but hardly ever gets a ball thrown his way. We should use free agency for a top gaurd and tackle and cut a waste of a pick in the idiot named Gallery and let Harris go as well. I say trade Fargas for whatever we can get possibly a second round pick. Use McFadden and Bush as your tandem of thunder & lightning so they both get the touches they deserve and PLEASE use you number 1,2, or 3rd pick for Mr. Crabtree to line up with Scheilens and Shields. With a better line, good young receivers, a QB with another miserable season under his belt, and McFadden and Bush getting more carries this team has to be able to put up touchdowns instead of field goals (I can't even remember the last time we scored one on offense). As for Walter, he was great in college but has been no better than Russell in the pros, he has to stay a backup at this point. As for the defense, where to start. First stop paying big bucks for players just wanting a check and no glory. With a second round pick get a pass rusher because Burgess is hurt every freakin year and Richardson hasn't worked out at all. A solid linebacker to take Brown's spot and a better cornerback once another wasted pick in Routt is cut. Also a defensive tackle to help stop the run would be nice but mainly get better scouts so we can stop picking players that never blossum into the talent we need them to be. If Fassel really does want to coach SIGN HIM ASAP because Cable has no idea what he is doing!
Freddy

Granger, IN

#11 Nov 17, 2008
Say what you want, but it is more scheme and coaching than the players. Scheme and coaching is why the Pats can win with Cassell. Cam Cameron's talent is why Flacco is progressing. The Falcons going hurry up at the start of the game against the Raiders is scheme and coaching. The Raiders just do not have that mentality right now.
Raiders Jokes

AOL

#12 Nov 17, 2008
Neither do the fans.
RAIDER MISTERIO

AOL

#13 Nov 18, 2008
neither has raider jokes to talk football! right tool? closet freak! my name is micheal! and i like coffee with pie with jeffy!(what a F.G! LOL)
Misterios Gayfest

Houston, TX

#14 Nov 18, 2008
agree, the raiders just do not have what it takes right now. like the past 5 seasons.

raiders weak.
A Ultreras

Oxnard, CA

#15 Nov 18, 2008
Ok I've sat here and watched this circus on for too long. I'm being serious here, in any of the games that the Raiders have played, has anyone even bothered to try and look at the chemistry of the team. I mean, I bet that USC, a team that has great chemistry can smash on the Raiders, no joke. With the exception of N. Asomugha and McFadden, no one on the Raiders is deserving of an NFL starting or even backup position. I've seen every most of their games and jesus they look so bad. They don't have no discipline and they really need a Coach who gives no leniancy for anything, that's what Chucky did and it worked. Someone who will be on your case for breathing out of unison and be on your ass is what they need. An example of someone like that is Mike Singletary, and I think in my opinion, I've seen all the stupid penalties and I would address that issue, first and foremost. You would be benched and fined for any personal foul that is a result of an idiot mistake, same for False Starts too. Then address the recievers and fine them for every drop that they can easily catch. There's more too but I'm running out of room.
Misterios Gayfest

Houston, TX

#16 Nov 20, 2008
true, the oakland association for retarded citizens could beat the raiders.

raiders weak.
TexasRaider

United States

#17 Nov 20, 2008
Stewcrew wrote:
The owner needs to stop wasting money or you can just put them in the ex-pansion league. Paying a defensive man alot of money when he hasn't done anything is whack too. T.Kelly, sorry to name names but it's T.Sands that's making more of an impact and he didn't get anything. Like I said these guys can't be getting top dollar when they're playing at the bottom of their game. A.D. needs to let control go to someone who is in this time zone....and he can still reap some rewards...Jruss is in the wrong scheme. Don't know why Quinn wasn't looked at. In next to last place again this year and possibly next if something isn't done about this
How is Sands making more of an impact than Kelly? Kelly has twice as many tackles and sacks as Sands. And look at our sack numbers across the front 4 rotation...Edwards 5, Kelly 4, Warren 4, Scott 3, Richardson 2, Sands 2, Burgess 2. It seems to me that our sack numbers are pretty evenly distributed and we don't have just one or two that are racking them all up. Kelly was getting double teamed a lot at first freeing up Warren. Here lately, they've been accounting for Warren and freeing up Kelly more and it's pretty noticable because Kelly's numbers have been going up a lot more rapidly than Warren's the last few weeks.
Misterios Gayfest

Houston, TX

#18 Nov 21, 2008
agree, if russell fails, raiders are the blame for drafting such a loser.

raiders losers.

Since: Oct 07

United States

#19 Nov 22, 2008
JD-oak wrote:
i disagree alittle. how would you feel if in the first couple of games your wide recievers were dropping passes. i know i would lose some confidence in them. now he is probably thinking everytime he throws the ball it has to be perfect and his is doing to much. it doesnt help either that he has some guy as a qb coach. i still think russell is going to be good. he is more like a carson palmer who may take a few years to get his groove. we need an o-line and another linebacker. kirk and howard are great but we need a third.
TexasRaider

United States

#20 Nov 22, 2008
ljordanfan34 wrote:
<quoted text>
i disagree alittle. how would you feel if in the first couple of games your wide recievers were dropping passes. i know i would lose some confidence in them. now he is probably thinking everytime he throws the ball it has to be perfect and his is doing to much. it doesnt help either that he has some guy as a qb coach. i still think russell is going to be good. he is more like a carson palmer who may take a few years to get his groove. we need an o-line and another linebacker. kirk and howard are great but we need a third.
I'd add a FS to that and a WR to our needs. Baker might get the FS job by the end of the year, but you never know if he was for real or not in his first game. I am more impressed with him than I ever was with Huff and Eugene. I liked Schweigert better than Huff and Eugene

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daunte Culpepper Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lions release former Wolf Pack receiver (Feb '14) Feb '14 viking nation 1
News Ex-NFL QB Culpepper Loses Fla. Home In Foreclosure (Jul '13) Jul '13 milwaukee69 3
News Culpepper to testify at hearing in cruise case (Mar '06) Jul '13 Rose 60
News Concussion forces Jets' Chrebet to retire (Dec '05) May '12 Crazytempest 3
News It's Johnson's turn for a little while (Mar '06) Apr '12 hatchet 78
News Why Nobody Should Be Throwing Christian Ponder ... (Dec '11) Jan '12 Harry 40
News Report: QB Culpepper Wants To Return To NFL (Aug '11) Aug '11 Laughing Bear Fan 3
More from around the web