Daunte Culpepper can be great again

Daunte Culpepper can be great again

There are 10 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Dec 23, 2007, titled Daunte Culpepper can be great again. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Daunte "Inferno" Culpepper is not back yet. His first full NFL season with the Oakland Raiders since a devastating knee injury in 2005 is almost over, but sadly we have only seen his shadow this season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Rick

Orlando, FL

#1 Dec 23, 2007
Great column!! I agree; you see QBs re-emerge all the time in the NFL, even at an older age than D.C.

Jeff Garcia and Brett Favre are two recent examples of what a talented QB can do at an older age. Both had bad seasons before they peaked once again.

If there is one QB that is capable of a great come back in the league, it would be Daunte, because the talent is there.
Good luck to Daunte, I will always be his fan.
julie silvia

New Bedford, MA

#2 Dec 23, 2007
i am in agreement with you, rick. if daunte can find a good fit with another team that offers the same protection and surrounding talent he once had in minnesota, (especially the 2004 season) he most certainly would reamerge as the daunte of old. he is a fierce competitor and not a stranger to overcoming adversity. i look forward to that season when the daunte we all know arrives.
LARAider

Colton, CA

#3 Dec 23, 2007
Culpepper is a legend, but he is missing some mojo. The fact that he couldn't run Josh McClown out of a job even when his knee felt good is proof. Watch some more film, his decision making skills are not that good, and he doesn't have Moss to throw it in the general direction of for big yards. He has been far from pinpoint on his passes, short or long. It isn't the knee he needs to worry about, it is his throws. I think he can still be a starter and I would take him over quite a few other qb's, but until his head is right he will not be.

“I knew it.Hank's a RaidersFan!”

Since: Feb 07

Raleigh, NC

#4 Dec 23, 2007
Culpepper is a legend? That's a joke. if he is lucky he is a 2nd string QB at best. more likely 3rd string. He only had some good years in Minnesota because of Moss, moss has the ability to make a receiver look good(or bad). He can't run and his arm is not worth mentioning. I would say he has lost his mojo but I am not sure he ever had it. unless you are referring to Moss as his mojo.
moonman

Hilmar, CA

#5 Dec 23, 2007
I, agree that Daunte can one day be a starter in the nfl, however he will need a break. I've followed Pep fom his days in Minnesota and yeah Moss enhanced his numbers, all of them including his interceptions. Just like Tom Brady's rare interceptions this year have come as he has tried to get the ball to moss, a few times too many. Pep threw 23 picks the year the vikes put in the Randy Ratio. Any how Daunte will need a better system than Oakland and Miami, because he is a QB that get's more in sync, the more he throws. The real Daunte is probally somewhere between the 39 td's,11 int season and the 13 td's and 20 int's He has had without Moss. But where??? Hopefully time will tell, Good luck Daunte.
Andrew

Bridgewater, NJ

#6 Dec 23, 2007
i wish daunte the best! he's a class act!
majorweight23

Plainview, NY

#7 Apr 9, 2008
Daunte can certainly start in the NFL. The is a 3or 4 time Pro Bowl player even with a bad knee still runs better than any QB this side of Vick and MCnabb. I think if any quarterback went to Oakland or Miami they would stink. Example Randy Moss in Oakland, Then to the Patriots....Do the Numbers. Also played on college teams that never had any one who never looked like Moss and still put up huge numbers. So to all U haters stop sayin he needs Randy Moss to be successful when he dosen't, but what quarterback dosen't want to play with the best receiver in the league. He could start right now for SF, Miami, Tampa Bay, NY JETS, B BILLS, Carolina Panthers, Atlanta Falcons, And I could still name more but I am not a hater........

“I knew it.Hank's a RaidersFan!”

Since: Feb 07

Raleigh, NC

#8 Apr 9, 2008
Crapepper sucks...always has... and you are right his success was soley due to Moss. Saying he runs better as good as McNabb and Vick? How many SB rings have those two clowns gotten? I like McNabb. Vick is scum and I hope he never laces em up in the NFL a again...what a coward. Moss is a punk with a ton of talent.
majorweight23 wrote:
Daunte can certainly start in the NFL. The is a 3or 4 time Pro Bowl player even with a bad knee still runs better than any QB this side of Vick and MCnabb. I think if any quarterback went to Oakland or Miami they would stink. Example Randy Moss in Oakland, Then to the Patriots....Do the Numbers. Also played on college teams that never had any one who never looked like Moss and still put up huge numbers. So to all U haters stop sayin he needs Randy Moss to be successful when he dosen't, but what quarterback dosen't want to play with the best receiver in the league. He could start right now for SF, Miami, Tampa Bay, NY JETS, B BILLS, Carolina Panthers, Atlanta Falcons, And I could still name more but I am not a hater........
THE LONE RAIDER

AOL

#9 Apr 9, 2008
i never wanted culpepper, here in oakland, when trade rummors started. then he went to miami; that did not work out and he landed in oakland by luck. i have to admit that i did route for him but just because he played as a RAIDER. i do wish him luck. and yes he could start for all those teams. "just not here" sorry.=(
THE LONE RAIDER

AOL

#10 Apr 9, 2008
oh, and i'm not a hater!(lol)=)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daunte Culpepper Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lions release former Wolf Pack receiver (Feb '14) Feb '14 viking nation 1
News Ex-NFL QB Culpepper Loses Fla. Home In Foreclosure (Jul '13) Jul '13 milwaukee69 3
News Culpepper to testify at hearing in cruise case (Mar '06) Jul '13 Rose 60
News Concussion forces Jets' Chrebet to retire (Dec '05) May '12 Crazytempest 3
News It's Johnson's turn for a little while (Mar '06) Apr '12 hatchet 78
News Why Nobody Should Be Throwing Christian Ponder ... (Dec '11) Jan '12 Harry 40
News Report: QB Culpepper Wants To Return To NFL (Aug '11) Aug '11 Laughing Bear Fan 3
More from around the web