Pro football: O-line a high priority for Packers draft

Apr 24, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Marshfield News-Herald

The Green Bay Packers have a young franchise quarterback they need to keep upright and healthy, especially after he sustained two concussions last season.

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Apr 26, 2011
PackerBacker-Wic hitaKs

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

Judged:

Couldn't agree more. One area that the Packers need to stabilize in is the protection of Aaron Rodgers. We know how good he is with the proper o-line protection. And, he cannot withstand a barrage of big hits with the concussion situation that the NFL is montoring very closely.
eric

Marshfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

Judged:

Hey how have you been? I pray they draft a LG in the early rounds.We can use another RT as well so Bulaga can go to LT if Clifton gets hurt or is ineffective.
Jeremy

Mooreton, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

Judged:

TT will be drafting the best player available, whether its a RB, WR, or LG.
answerman

Appleton, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2011

Judged:

My last prediction before the draft: I'm going to stick to my guns and stay with what I said a few weeks ago. I really don't think they'll draft at #32. Either (1) someone they really like slips down into the late teens or early twenties and they trade up a few (they can't go real far with what they have to trade with pickwise but they can get up into the high teens), or (2) there's a big run on quarterbacks right at the end of the first round and another team trades up to #32 to jump ahead of the QB-needy teams like Buffalo and Cincinnati who will be drafting early in the second.

I really don't think the Packers can go wrong in this draft. The players they would be likely to draft at #32 will still be around (or equivalent players anyway) well into the middle of the second. Once you get past the first five or so, there are a lot of quality offensive linemen that are going to be available in the second round. Personally, I'd hold out for the trade down, unless someone like Patrick Peterson or Robert Quinn drops into the teens (very doubtful... they should both go in the top 10, but you never know).

If they DO stick at #32, and if the Dolphins don't pick him at #15, my dark horse pick is Mark Ingram. Do the Packers need him? I'm not sure, but if he drops to #32 he is easily the BPA at that point.
eric

Marshfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Judged:

Id imagine if they took Ingram that would make Grant available for trade.They like Starks,Kuhn or Jackson are both short yardage pounders,we havent seen much of Demitri Nance but Atl.seemed to have him in their future plans down the road and seems to have a nice upside.My question is, when all this mess has ended and trades are allowed and FA or undrafted FA are allowed to be signed,it will be intersting which players TT will have on his radar,or what big name DETROIT OR CHICAGO will sign to try to put them over the top or Minn will do with their QB situation now that BF is retired,Jackson doesnt seem to be the answer ect.Id like also to see if TT trades Nick Barnett,or again tries to trade Grant (although unless the p/u a back that unlikely)Id like to see Grant stick and he prob. will as they had prob. with the running game ( now if they draft a LG and a RT) and with Finley coming back that should help,but, both Finley and Grant are coming off injuries so who knows who effective they will be or ineffective they will be as you never know and since Grant has the same injury as Dorcey Levins and he was never the same again,that has to be a question to a certain point.
I can see TT trading down for extra picks and build the depth(although last year the depth seemed pretty darn good down the stretch) I can see him moving up to grab a certain player he covets and fill a hole ( although not as much a chance as normal years as TT cant sign undrafted players like Sam Shields and the like),so he may be more likely to keep all his picks or acquire more picks.
answerman

Appleton, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Judged:

You know, Eric, that's a good point. How does the lockout affect the ability of teams to sign undrafted free agents after the draft? I hadn't thought about that.

I do think the trade up is pretty unlikely, unless the big slide takes place by one of the highly rated players. Let's say hypothetically that Patrick Peterson drops to #11. Would you swap this year's and next year's #1, and possibly more, to trade up? I'd seriously think about it, though I'm not sure that would be enough to do it. This year's #1 is basically a second rounder anyway, and if all goes well next year's #1 shouldn't be any higher.

And regarding Minnesota and their QB situation: I've been watching the Vikings forum (because there's more going on there than here) and I'm dying to put my two cents in there but I won't, because I don't want to come across as a troll there. If I was the Vikings front office, I'd be realistic: there is not a QB in this draft that is going to come in and start from Day 1. The talent's not as good as recent years, and the lockout is going to really hamper a rookie's progress. Even if they draft a QB high (which they should) they should also be looking at signing a veteran with the idea that the rookie is going to sit at least a year. It doesn't have to be an all-world veteran... anyone with starting experience has to be better than what they have now, unless they really think that Webb has a future as their starter. I'm not sure who's all available once the lockout ends, but a Marc Bulger or equivalent would work. I don't see the difference between bringing Jackson back (since he's a free agent anyway) and trying to upgrade just a little.

This season will be fun, if it ever gets started.
answerman

Appleton, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Judged:

Regarding trading down, here's the scenario I see: we all know Newton and Gabbert will be gone within the top 10. As we get to the end of the first round (Seattle at #25 will probably get it started) I think you are going to see a big run on the next tier of quarterbacks. Locker, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernik, Mallett, and possibly Stanzi will probably all go before the 10th pick in the second round. Someone's going to see that #32 pick just waiting for a trade offer to move up and grab one of them.
eric

Marshfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Judged:

I do like you idea of sending 2 first for the 11th..fiquring a 1st this year is a 32nd and next year assuming we dont win another SB one would think we would still be a top 4 team which makes it a 28 or so....so in your senario,we get an 11th pick and they get the 32nd this year and a 28th next year and we can throw in an extra pick in 12 as we can trade Nick Barnett for an upper round pick and who knows if TT will resign Finley who is a weapon and TT signs his own,but, sounds like he wants to be paid as the best TE and who knows if TT has the cap space so there may be another pick or 2.if i were Minn id be on the phone chatting about Carson Palmer or maybe a Donovan mcnabb,although not very good anymore,at least he can teach a young qb for a year or 2 leaving them their picks for other spots.Wonder if the lockout will effect how folks watch the draft or if there is no football,how many folks will say screw the NFL.We have seen strikes in every sport and they all seem to come back,but,eventually something has to give and enough is enough. i just hope TT spends an upper pick on an olineman to protect AR and at some point a WR is needed as jones is prob gone and DD is finally at the end ( a sad time,he is one hell of a player and a example for all to follow) and an all time great Green Bay Packer
eric

Marshfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2011

Judged:

Id also love to see a corner so maybe in 12 we can have Williams and shields at the corner,this years corner in the Nickel and Woodson can move to SS and use his speed and athleticism without getting hit as much and extending his career a year or 2 longer.
immagine
WILLIAMS AND SHIELDS AT THE CORNERS
WOODSON AT SS AND COLLINS AT FS
NOW THAT IS COOL!!!!!!
I wonder how they go into it.A team on top so TT wouldnt mind trading a pick and moving up,or does he just use all his picks to grab 7 players because he loves his picks and can improve at some positions
PackerBacker-Wic hitaKs

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

eric wrote:
Hey how have you been? I pray they draft a LG in the early rounds.We can use another RT as well so Bulaga can go to LT if Clifton gets hurt or is ineffective.
Hey, Eric. I have been doing great. Started a new job a couple months ago so have been focusing on that. I am still savorying the Packers' SB victory! With the draft in the next few days I hope they find players who can fill their needs.(How's that for an obvious comment?) I know you and GBPfan follow the draft a lot closer than I do, but, I trust TT and MM will draft players that fit in right away or can be developed into contributing players down the road. It seems to be the organizations way of doing things and, quite frankly, it appears to working. If there is a season it is going to be a very challenging one and Green Bay will now be the hunted instead of the hunters. It is going to be a fun and hopefully, great season.
eric

Marshfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2011

Judged:

I just enjoy the draft and see how teams build their teams.Congrats on the new job,thats always a good thing!Im still savoring the SB victory as well and i do believe this team can win another one with AR at qb,Greg Jennings at WR, their TE play wasnt great last year,but, good enough and that defense played very well and many of the key players are still young and will be around for a while.
Ryan Pickett has done well,Charles Woodson has done well but other then those 2 the rest of the defense is pretty young.I can see Sam Shields taking Williams spot and Williams taking Woodsons when the time arrives.Pickett and prb.Cullen Jenkins are the 2 questions.Mike Neal is supposed to be a replacement for Jenkins but how many games did he play last year? 4 maybe,so how good is he? who knows.Pickett is around still and they im figuring will draft someone to replace him this year as hes approaching FA after the 11 or 12 season.Thats the fun of it,seeing the chess moves ,trades,trading picks ect.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Daryn Colledge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Packers Double Digit Favorites Again (Oct '12) Nov '12 GBPfan 4
Aaron Rodgers emerges from Brett Favre's shadow... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Mike 154
MVP Rodgers leads Packers past Steelers 31-25 (Feb '11) Feb '11 Brian T 46
News from around Wisconsin at 6:28 a.m. CST (Jan '11) Jan '11 Joe Merlot 25
Packers 21, Eagles 16: Aaron Rodgers starts bui... (Jan '11) Jan '11 PB ARMY 29
Mike Vandermause column: Win Sunday crucial if ... (Nov '10) Nov '10 GBPfan 2
Packers thrive, Cowboys dive after poor starts (Nov '10) Nov '10 Jon Kitna 7

Search the Daryn Colledge Forum:
•••
•••