Green Bay Packers' seasoned squad ready to put '08 in the past, head coach Mike McCarthy says

Aug 1, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WisInfo

The Green Bay Packers now truly are Ted Thompson's and Mike McCarthy's team. The Packers' general manager and coach, respectively, are entering their fourth season working together, and coming off a 6-10 season they figure not to have the NFL's youngest team, which they had the past two years.

Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Aug 6, 2009
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#1 Aug 2, 2009
Pete Dougherty is correct when he said:

"The Green Bay Packers now truly are Ted Thompson’s and Mike McCarthy’s team. They’ve brought in all but a handful of the players on the 80-man roster."

What Pete failed to say is that the Packer's were Thompson's and McCarthy's team last year also. All but a handful of last year's season ending roster were brought in by them. There is no logical reason to expect that the Packers will do much better this year than last. If not, don't be suprised -- be angry! The losing and failure under their mismanagement is getting old. The Packers are no longer feared throughout the league. No free agents worth signing want to come to what has become a losing organization. And a culture of losing has taken hold in Green Bay. The Green Bay Packers now truly are Ted Thompson’s and Mike McCarthy’s team and they need to be held responsible for the horrible job they are doing.

“Go Pack Go”

Since: Jun 07

Stevens Point, Wisconsin

#2 Aug 2, 2009
I think Woodson knows a little more about this team than Dougherty.
"Well, for one, right after this season we hadn't made any changes. So of course I'm speaking of that season," Woodson said. "But shortly after that, they changed defenses, you get a new coordinator. Draft rolls around, you get two pretty good first-rounders and you have a pretty good draft overall. All of a sudden things change. And then you get here, you go through a couple of mini-camps and you can kind of see the way things are moving around and the way guys are getting themselves prepared to play this defense, and then you have a first day like yesterday. I thought yesterday was a good start to this season, a good start in this defense and everybody was kind of familiar with what was going on and I think we're getting better already. Just the communication alone from yesterday to today was a huge difference. So I feel good about that."
Woodson was also open about his preference for Capers' scheme over the bland 4-3 run by former coordinator Bob Sanders. Woodson said the Packers were "absolutely" better just because of the switch.

"You guys have watched us in this defense for the last three years and when you watched our games, I'm sure you could call out what we were running a lot of times," Woodson said. "It's one thing for things to look the same every play but you can't just run the same thing every play. So this defense gives us a great chance to give the offense different looks, move around a little bit, just showing them different things, throw them off-balance. So it's a defense you can have a lot of fun in. Of course, there is a lot to it so you definitely have to be on your Ps and Qs as far as making your calls and making sure everybody's on the same page. But when everything's clicking, it's a very, very fun defense."
eric

Monroe, WI

#3 Aug 2, 2009
My only question is they will play alot of zone and Al Harris is very good at chucking at the line and presure man to man but i dont think hes quick enough to play zone,so i wonder if they will play alot more of Patrick Lee or the rookie Underwood,some one with more speed and or athletism.Also alot more blitzes from many different guys will keep offenses abit more off balanced.
Im glad you mentioned the bland defenses,that was a major complaint of many folks ive talked to,the same defensive scheme and play calling last year,now different looks blitz packages ect will rectify some of that.
Also getting rid of Mike stock as Special teams should help as the Packers always rank amoung the bottom in Kickoff returns under Stock and hopefully this new coach will improve kick returns as well!
jeremy

Barney, ND

#4 Aug 2, 2009
eric wrote:
My only question is they will play alot of zone and Al Harris is very good at chucking at the line and presure man to man but i dont think hes quick enough to play zone,so i wonder if they will play alot more of Patrick Lee or the rookie Underwood,some one with more speed and or athletism.Also alot more blitzes from many different guys will keep offenses abit more off balanced.
Im glad you mentioned the bland defenses,that was a major complaint of many folks ive talked to,the same defensive scheme and play calling last year,now different looks blitz packages ect will rectify some of that.
Also getting rid of Mike stock as Special teams should help as the Packers always rank amoung the bottom in Kickoff returns under Stock and hopefully this new coach will improve kick returns as well!
I think Tramon Williams will flourish under Capers specialty with D-backs.
eric

Monroe, WI

#5 Aug 3, 2009
so do i,which is why i was wondering where Al Harris fits in to the system.Capers likes zone and blitzes and Harris is a good one on one cover guy.
jeremy

Barney, ND

#6 Aug 3, 2009
eric wrote:
so do i,which is why i was wondering where Al Harris fits in to the system.Capers likes zone and blitzes and Harris is a good one on one cover guy.
Well they have talked about not exclusively running 3-4 all the time and I'm afraid Al's best days are behind him with the injuries and all last year. I think one of these young guys will prevail and eventually take over that spot, I hate to say that because Al is one of favorite players all time for the Packers.
eric

Monroe, WI

#7 Aug 3, 2009
Between Tramon Williams,Wil Blackmon,Pat Lee and this rookie Underwood,there is some talent and speed there.
Im hoping since we match someone for Jared Bush,maybe we can use him on blitz packages since he runs a sub 4.4.He did play better last year,but,through out his career hes missed alot of tackles,assignments ect at Corner and safety so maybe in Dime or Nickel packs or let him blitz.Just be careful as if all he does is blitz,then they know whats coming when hes on the field so they have to mix it up
jeremy

Barney, ND

#8 Aug 4, 2009
eric wrote:
Between Tramon Williams,Wil Blackmon,Pat Lee and this rookie Underwood,there is some talent and speed there.
Im hoping since we match someone for Jared Bush,maybe we can use him on blitz packages since he runs a sub 4.4.He did play better last year,but,through out his career hes missed alot of tackles,assignments ect at Corner and safety so maybe in Dime or Nickel packs or let him blitz.Just be careful as if all he does is blitz,then they know whats coming when hes on the field so they have to mix it up
I am not a big fan of Jared, It seemed he was missing assignments a lot, but he is fast. I keep hearing all this reports out of minicamp that these players like this 3-4 and expect to be much better. I really like what I am hearing about Matthews, sounds like all he is doing is impressing the coaches, especially on pass rushing abilities, that is great news! He said I workout all day then I go to my dorm and study all night, like to hear that out of a rookie. He has had many greats teach him along the way like his Dad in High school, Ken Norton at SC, and K. Greene with the Pack, this kid is destined to succeed.
eric

Monroe, WI

#9 Aug 4, 2009
I read Justin Harrell is the healthiest hes been.WHich might not be saying much,but,its a step in the right direction!
The kid has been through alot of tough injuries,and surgeries and now hes healthy enough to practice with the team and at least fight for a roster spot!
good luck to the kid! we can certainly use him and include him as a starter or at least for depth!
wal0645

Milwaukee, WI

#10 Aug 4, 2009
I had a chance to watch the camp yesterday and was very impressed with how the defense is coming along. The LB Bishop looks like this new scheme works to his strengths, so Hawk and Barnett better watch out!!! Matthews looks like a player and secondary looks deep and loaded. James Jones is another player that caught my eye as a guy to watch along with Jordy Nelson. They ran a few scrimmage plays and the defnse held it's own. Man, that Kevin Greene is a firey sort. Can't wait to see what happens when the big fellow Raji gets signed and becomes able to participate.
jeremy

Barney, ND

#11 Aug 4, 2009
James or Jordy better step up because Driver won't be around forever. I think these two are good young prospects and should help move the chains and take some pressure off of Jennings and Driver. Watch out for Jordy, I think he is in for a good year. Hard working guys like that always produce.
jeremy

Barney, ND

#12 Aug 4, 2009
eric wrote:
I read Justin Harrell is the healthiest hes been.WHich might not be saying much,but,its a step in the right direction!
The kid has been through alot of tough injuries,and surgeries and now hes healthy enough to practice with the team and at least fight for a roster spot!
good luck to the kid! we can certainly use him and include him as a starter or at least for depth!
I'm afraid he'll be nothing more than a backup, I hope I am wrong, but I think that is it.
eric

Monroe, WI

#13 Aug 5, 2009
even as a backup,if hes effective and gives us depth at the end or at NT,thats still a great thing.Except for the fact he was a 1st round pick and im sure the organization would love to see more,playing behind Jenkins or Raji at end and be effective means the guys in front of him get more rest.
jeremy

Barney, ND

#14 Aug 5, 2009
eric wrote:
even as a backup,if hes effective and gives us depth at the end or at NT,thats still a great thing.Except for the fact he was a 1st round pick and im sure the organization would love to see more,playing behind Jenkins or Raji at end and be effective means the guys in front of him get more rest.
I agree, it's just I don't have much faith in him. He still needs at least 2 years of playing injury free to catch up and be effective in the NFL.
eric

Monroe, WI

#15 Aug 5, 2009
thats true but you have to start one step at a time,so if he can play all trainning camp thats step 1, lets see if he can do that without hurting his back.
jeremy

Barney, ND

#16 Aug 6, 2009
eric wrote:
thats true but you have to start one step at a time,so if he can play all trainning camp thats step 1, lets see if he can do that without hurting his back.
I agree

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daryn Colledge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Packers Double Digit Favorites Again (Oct '12) Nov '12 GBPfan 4
Pro football: O-line a high priority for Packer... (Apr '11) Apr '11 eric 11
Aaron Rodgers emerges from Brett Favre's shadow... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Mike 154
MVP Rodgers leads Packers past Steelers 31-25 (Feb '11) Feb '11 Brian T 46
News from around Wisconsin at 6:28 a.m. CST (Jan '11) Jan '11 Joe Merlot 25
Packers 21, Eagles 16: Aaron Rodgers starts bui... (Jan '11) Jan '11 PB ARMY 29
Mike Vandermause column: Win Sunday crucial if ... (Nov '10) Nov '10 GBPfan 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000