With $30M in cap room, look for new d...

With $30M in cap room, look for new deals, not new players

There are 31 comments on the WisInfo story from Feb 26, 2009, titled With $30M in cap room, look for new deals, not new players. In it, WisInfo reports that:

Having about $30 million in salary-cap room isn't likely to change the Green Bay Packers' approach to free agency, but they may be more active than last year because of their switch to the 3-4 defense.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WisInfo.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
eric

Wadesville, IN

#21 Feb 28, 2009
In a perfect world,Harrell would pack on 10 lbs of muscle,coming into camp in phenomenal shape and dominate the NT position,but,we have to spend a pick on the position befoer we can see if JH is the man.If Harrelll came into the first camp in shape and ready to go,we could have seen what kind of player he is and act accordingly,but,nothing ever works the way we want it does it?
I just hope Ted takes someone we have actually heard of and not some punter from a school in Sibieria!
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#22 Feb 28, 2009
Atlanta franchised a punter. Can't see that happening here, can you? I bet our first (only?) FA signee will be a punter. Really.
eric

Wadesville, IN

#23 Feb 28, 2009
Hey maybe Justin Harrell can punt! He wouldnt be much worse then the poor bastard we had in that small stretch would he?
the last punter we had wasnt all that bad,but the guy who replaces Jon Ryan had alot of problems,he boomed them in practice,but,once game time hit,he froze or something
eric

Wadesville, IN

#24 Feb 28, 2009
i see the Jets traded for Lito Sheppard for a mid 2010 pick and a undisclosed 2011.That would have been a nice move for TED.
Throw Philly a 2nd or 3rd and maybe a 6th in 2011 and we would have had a nice corner for the next 5 years or so.
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#25 Feb 28, 2009
JH would hurt himself punting, if I were a betting man. As you know eric, I floated Lito last off season when we could have gotten him for even less. Those guys are loyal Jim Johnson but are concerned he won't pull through. My prayers are with the guy.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#26 Feb 28, 2009
It really doesn't matter who the "brain trust" of Thompson and McCarthy select. They will undoutedly offset any moves that improve the Packers with ones that harm the team.

Be real. After 4 years those two reveal that they have actually been drafting and coaching players better suited to a 3-4 than a 4-3 scheme. Wasn't it clever of them to wait until year five to make the switch?

Anyone that trusts the Packers duo of "dumb and dumber" to suddenly know what they are doing, is in a state of denial. It will be a miracle if they acquire players that will offset the offseason damage they have already caused. A playoff appearance is not even a remote possibility.

As a longtime fan, I want success for the Packers as much as anyone. But no amount of optimism will will change the fact that Thompson and McCarthy must go!

The Packers are $30 Million under the cap. As far as I'm concerned this is one of the few things Thompson has done right. Thompson's replacement may need the salary room in order to convert the Packers into winners again.
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#27 Mar 4, 2009
Well it depends on what you mean by "trust." I trust that they will do a decent job assembling the best cheap football you can. Being as we're competitive, maybe they are smarter than we think. I lived in Boston for many years and this was the m.o. of the Bruins hockey team. Great front line players, no depth, no expensive backups, sell out every game, maximize profit, win nothing. But as a business, they were tremendously successful. Sadly I think a championship is a bonus, not so much the goal.
eric

Marshfield, WI

#28 Mar 5, 2009
normallylikeyellow wrote:
JH would hurt himself punting, if I were a betting man. As you know eric, I floated Lito last off season when we could have gotten him for even less. Those guys are loyal Jim Johnson but are concerned he won't pull through. My prayers are with the guy.
I thing Justin Harrell gets hurt waking up in the morning!.

You are absolutely right! You were throwing Sheppard's name around all last year and that would have been a great move,although that would have put Al Harris on the trading block! I expected Harris to be gone by now with the emergence on T.Williams and Woodson on the other side.
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#29 Mar 5, 2009
Still think Al might land with Bates down in Tampa, but we have to see what Capers is up to. The draft will tell us a lot. Sporting News has us taking Larry English (N. Illinois) at 9, which would be a sensible Packer Pick. Good player, won't command huge money and fits the scheme.
eric

Marshfield, WI

#30 Mar 5, 2009
NLY i love draft pres.
ive seen
Raji the NT
some safety i forgot his name and you saw a guy from N Illinois.
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#31 Mar 5, 2009
Raji may go to KC for their 3-4. I think we're going tackle, English or maybe Everette Brown. We may trade. I really like most of the tackles: Oher, Britton, J. Smith... Andre Smith sounds like a handful. On D Evander Hood is the steal--quick, big, tackles everything. We might be able to grab him round 2.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daryn Colledge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Packers Double Digit Favorites Again (Oct '12) Nov '12 GBPfan 4
News Pro football: O-line a high priority for Packer... (Apr '11) Apr '11 eric 11
News Aaron Rodgers emerges from Brett Favre's shadow... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Mike 154
News MVP Rodgers leads Packers past Steelers 31-25 (Feb '11) Feb '11 Brian T 46
News News from around Wisconsin at 6:28 a.m. CST (Jan '11) Jan '11 Joe Merlot 25
News Packers 21, Eagles 16: Aaron Rodgers starts bui... (Jan '11) Jan '11 PB ARMY 29
News Mike Vandermause column: Win Sunday crucial if ... (Nov '10) Nov '10 GBPfan 2