Oakland Raiders' Short-Term Pain, Off...

Oakland Raiders' Short-Term Pain, Offseason Inactivity Will Equal Long-Term Gain

There are 37 comments on the bleacherreport.com story from Mar 18, 2013, titled Oakland Raiders' Short-Term Pain, Offseason Inactivity Will Equal Long-Term Gain. In it, bleacherreport.com reports that:

Lack of free-agent signings and a general offseason inactivity will create some short-term pain within the fanbase.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at bleacherreport.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
raiderfaith

Holly Springs, NC

#1 Mar 18, 2013
Wow. A BR article(other than TR's) that I agree with and was well thought out. Not a knee jerk reaction. The writer was even intelligent enough to separate Frankenstein and the monster as two different characters. Most think Frankenstein is the green monster. I am impressed.

Since: Jan 11

Tempe, AZ

#2 Mar 18, 2013
Aaron Curry and Demarcus Van Dyke weren't poor decisions they were cheap players who had a chance to play well, but were cut before they really could show what they could do.

Since: Jan 13

United States

#3 Mar 18, 2013
I got nothing but time. I want us to win,and I know we will. Watching all this unfold and the pain if the losses,will pay off. When we do win the SB,im literally gonna cry. Honest truth. This team to me is everything. My hometown pride. Cant wait till season starts.....ill be there RAIDER GEAR head to toe!!!

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#4 Mar 18, 2013
I respect this article because he admits he's a falcons fan and really seems to see reality. I didn't think Curry was a bad decision but since he was injured and Miles Burris had really risen, Curry pretty much ended up being a cap situation. Van Dyke was kind of questionable.

Tom Cable proved that it takes 3 years for a coach/regime to really see what kind of direction things are going in. I thought it was dumb to let him go after he got things going in the right direction. I hope to see improvement this year, but I think it will be next year before we really see true results of what they've put together.

“Undertaker Raiders Simona S”

Since: Apr 11

The Blackhole

#5 Mar 18, 2013
Just like when management changes anywhere...They all have their ways on how things should be done & I like what I see so far but won't be satisfied until the results show on gameday
Freddy

Granger, IN

#6 Mar 18, 2013
The people who buy this is the way to a SuperBowl win are the same people who buy Jamarcus Russell should be the #1 overall pick once upon on a time.

United States

#7 Mar 18, 2013
Freddy wrote:
The people who buy this is the way to a SuperBowl win are the same people who buy Jamarcus Russell should be the #1 overall pick once upon on a time.
No dickweed...that was Al Davis. New time,New Era.
raiderfaith

Holly Springs, NC

#8 Mar 18, 2013
Not true, I didn't want JR as a number one pick. But I do think this is a better way to build a team.
Freddy wrote:
Freddy

Granger, IN

#9 Mar 18, 2013
01TruRaider_Fan wrote:
<quoted text>No dickweed...that was Al Davis. New time,New Era.
I don't remember you being on this post to even understand the comment that was written regarding Jamarcus. The other guys know what I am talking about. Next, on this blog everyone has an opinion. If you don't like someone's opinion, then present your case, no name-calling. You think Pryor is the way to go and Palmer should be gone. Well, I don't think that way and I can type plenty of things to call you, but Why? In regards to New Time and New Era, that doesn't mean a good thing or positive results. In fact, I don't think things change all that much. For example, the Raiders always had good position coaches (not necessarily the best head coaches in recent memory) and last year the New Regime let a lot of them go. This year the new regime recognized their mistake and hired better coaches. The same is true with the roster. The new regime believes in building through the draft; a three or four year plan. Building through the Draft is a good thing. But at some point, you have to have dominant talented players, not hard-workers and over achievers. Building through the draft is just not enough to win a Superbowl. People are getting excited over mid-level free agents being signed and villifying a QB who is making what he is worth and calling for his head because his percentage of the salary cap is just too high. A person is judged by his percentage of the salary cap? Are you kidding me? That is just not right and should not be the current direction of the Raiders.
Freddy

Granger, IN

#10 Mar 18, 2013
raiderfaith wrote:
Not true, I didn't want JR as a number one pick. But I do think this is a better way to build a team.<quoted text>
That is true. You were one of the two other people. Better way to build a team? You know as well as I do, that the Raiders were building over that last few years especially on the D-Line/WR/RB. I think they were handicapped by being at the top of the Draft each year, a little expensive; made it tougher. Unfortunately, a lot of those players are gone. Not judged on their talent. Just uncermoniusly dismissed. No problem with RM doing things his way. But to clean house again, so soon. I think there is/was a better way than the decisions RM has made so far, including his decision on the coach.

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

OG, "so cal."

#11 Mar 18, 2013
yes please, no name calling! this new era RAIDERS thing has separated the RAIDER nation in so many ways. new guys that are here, understand that we all make opinions whether we are right or wrong, whether you know more football or not. they are just opinions. i've made some of the dumbest opinions and have heard all of your opinions. many of which i have disagreed with but it's nothing to call somebody a name over. some of us have been around many years and know each other well and have respect for each other. we've almost kept it as a RAIDER family here. i am not the boss or the leader or anything here. as a matter of fact, i ain't shit here if that makes you feel better. i loved how HC our only BADDASS RAIDER CHICK responded here to nj RAIDER'S comment when he asked her if she only followed one team cause she didn't seem to know other players. and she simply responded yeah, she only follows the RAIDERS for the most part. or something like that "unquote". but she didn't go and call him no names. she kept her cool and moved on. my point is, be cool, most everyone here is a cool RAIDER fan and it's cool to agree to disagree. we have a few other football fans "haters" here that keep their cool and simply just want to talk football even if they don't belong to the RAIDER fan base. not to throw them under the bus, but the solution is a 9er and LBF (lauhing bear fan) is of course, a bear fan,. talks a lot of crap but he too can take it back and still keep it cool.
coran horn, RAIDER faith, texas_RAIDER, freddy, haley's commet, zild0405, captain canada, are just some of the few veterans here on topix. we're cool people. nothing but RAIDER fans! once in a while we even get our RACIST RAIDER HATER buford, va. that talks out of whack but he's just nuts overall. like i said, i ain't nobody here but welcome all and just keep it cool.
RAIDERS 2013!!!

“PLAY TO WIN”

OG, "so cal."

#12 Mar 18, 2013
or? you can just simply tell me where to go!(LOL)
but don't do that or i might stop drinking!
RAIDER MISTERIO
RAIDERS 2013!!!
RaiderFaith

Holly Springs, NC

#13 Mar 18, 2013
What you say could be true. I didn't realize during the last several years how much I disliked how Al tried to "right the ship" I do think Cable was on the path to fixing the team. But he was canned. I do think getting guys that are not big names but more veterans with the need to still prove themselves. I think if you got granular, you can find good and bad in every way a team is built. But getting the finances straight is important since we don't have Al to "work the system". Either way, I hope this plan RM has works out. May take a couple seasons, but I am encouraged.
Freddy wrote:
<quoted text>That is true. You were one of the two other people. Better way to build a team? You know as well as I do, that the Raiders were building over that last few years especially on the D-Line/WR/RB. I think they were handicapped by being at the top of the Draft each year, a little expensive; made it tougher. Unfortunately, a lot of those players are gone. Not judged on their talent. Just uncermoniusly dismissed. No problem with RM doing things his way. But to clean house again, so soon. I think there is/was a better way than the decisions RM has made so far, including his decision on the coach.
wiscraider

Hudson, WI

#14 Mar 19, 2013
First off that other wisc poster is not me,and I apologies for him,as us wisc nites are generally good people..secondly as the new regime is doin things differently,I for one have missed the Al Davis days,I mean come on the man would try about anything @ anyone to turn things around,its not his fault guys took advantage of his money..each season he would bring in the hot/big name guys and this would excite me and bring hope for the following season..let's rem it worked at times,so anyone bashing MR Davis is sad in my book!!!! JMO... so these average signing have not tripped my trigger but I'm willing to see how things pan out....RAIDER NATION CHEESE!!!
raiderfaith

Clayton, NC

#15 Mar 19, 2013
I am with Freddy on this one, no need for name calling. Just a forum about a team we all support. Most of us anyway.
01TruRaider_Fan wrote:
<quoted text>No dickweed...that was Al Davis. New time,New Era.

“PLAY TO WIN”

OG, "so cal."

#16 Mar 19, 2013
wiscraider wrote:
First off that other wisc poster is not me,and I apologies for him,as us wisc nites are generally good people..secondly as the new regime is doin things differently,I for one have missed the Al Davis days,I mean come on the man would try about anything @ anyone to turn things around,its not his fault guys took advantage of his money..each season he would bring in the hot/big name guys and this would excite me and bring hope for the following season..let's rem it worked at times,so anyone bashing MR Davis is sad in my book!!!! JMO... so these average signing have not tripped my trigger but I'm willing to see how things pan out....RAIDER NATION CHEESE!!!
i loved AL DAVIS (rest in peace), and i still love his whole way of thinking. mistakes and all. it sucks that he passed away. many are happy for that. many are sad about it but prefer the "new era RAIDERS". WHICH it's life and there's nothing we can do about. all we can do is be hopeful for the RAIDERS to do great. i was going against the grain but it was getting me nowhere (lol). im going to go with the flow and see where it takes us cause? HUMMMMPH!
go RAIDERS!
RAIDERS 2013!!!

United States

#17 Mar 19, 2013
Sorry I hurt your feelings with the name calling.....will you forgive me Freddy?
Freddy

Granger, IN

#18 Mar 20, 2013
01TruRaider_Fan wrote:
Sorry I hurt your feelings with the name calling.....will you forgive me Freddy?
I am not sure how to take this comment, except to say don't flatter yourself that you hurt my feelings. Instead, there are some unwritten rules with some of the regulars.#1 you are familiar with.#2, if you care to follow, is that non-Raider fans will come on here and says things to get a reaction. Our group learned the hard way that engaging in this is a waste of time (4 pages of comments over a 10 minute span, not good and inspired Rule #1). More importantly, they do not go away and clutter up everything for a week, 6 weeks or an entire season. We have learned to ignore them. So, if you have the feeling of defending the "Raider Honor", don't. If you can't figure out why we are not reacting, it is because we've learned. In general, Misterio acts as the doorman, and does a fine job.
Freddy

Granger, IN

#19 Mar 20, 2013
RaiderFaith wrote:
What you say could be true. I didn't realize during the last several years how much I disliked how Al tried to "right the ship" I do think Cable was on the path to fixing the team. But he was canned. I do think getting guys that are not big names but more veterans with the need to still prove themselves. I think if you got granular, you can find good and bad in every way a team is built. But getting the finances straight is important since we don't have Al to "work the system". Either way, I hope this plan RM has works out. May take a couple seasons, but I am encouraged. <quoted text>
Cable was a good thing. First time, a head coach over-seeing an O-Coordinator and D-Coordinator in some time. Hue ruined that with his interview with the 49ers. Let's remember that he was in the process of hiring Hue, and Cable was the interim head coach. Davis was not sure to keep Cable. He kept Cable. Cable could not call plays very well after he took over for Knapp, before Hue was hired. Hue was threatening to bolt. Hue did a great job. Keep Hue or Keep Cable. Unfortunately, recent history has the head coach calling the plays. Keep Cable (who was a lot better with the players; like Madden), then you start over on offense. And those type of offensive guys, want to be a head coach. Tough decision for Al.

“PLAY TO WIN”

OG, "so cal."

#20 Mar 21, 2013
Freddy wrote:
<quoted text>Cable was a good thing. First time, a head coach over-seeing an O-Coordinator and D-Coordinator in some time. Hue ruined that with his interview with the 49ers. Let's remember that he was in the process of hiring Hue, and Cable was the interim head coach. Davis was not sure to keep Cable. He kept Cable. Cable could not call plays very well after he took over for Knapp, before Hue was hired. Hue was threatening to bolt. Hue did a great job. Keep Hue or Keep Cable. Unfortunately, recent history has the head coach calling the plays. Keep Cable (who was a lot better with the players; like Madden), then you start over on offense. And those type of offensive guys, want to be a head coach. Tough decision for Al.
i have always said, cable could not call plays! i liked cable, but his play calling was mediocre and yet won games. probably cause we had marshall. in other words, not good enough on his part. and i have to say hue jackson didn't have the best either but he could call plays and when the game was on the line, he found a way to try to win without marshall! he went with the dirty, he went with the crazy, and he went with what it took to win...., i don't see that in d allen! but? ya never know! HEUMMMPH!(LOL). we'll know in a few years.
RAIDERS 2013!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darrius Heyward-Bey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Indianapolis Colts: Injury Bad Timing for Darri... (Aug '13) Aug '13 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 5
News Darrius Heyward-Bey Should Improve with Indiana... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Corran Horn 5
News Darren McFadden one of few stars left on Oaklan... (Apr '13) Apr '13 DBuck20 3
News 49ers a good model, says Oakland Raiders owner ... (Apr '13) Apr '13 raiderfaith 4
News Oakland Raiders 2013 Draft Preview (Apr '13) Apr '13 Haleys Commet 1
News Raiders take major dead money now for major cap... (Apr '13) Apr '13 touchdowntimmybrown 3
News Flynn eager for new beginning in Oakland (Apr '13) Apr '13 Haleys Commet 5
More from around the web