Ziggy Hood, Steelers Rookies In Minicamp; Team Signs 3

May 2, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: ThePittsburghChannel.com

Defensive tackle Evander "Ziggy" Hood and the rest of the Steelers' 2009 draft class are in Pittsburgh for a mandatory weekend minicamp at the team's South Side practice facility.

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Aug 11, 2009
javon

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2009

mike wallace is fast as hell
Jopa-n

Vincentown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2009

javon wrote:
mike wallace is fast as hell
If he does as good with his hands as with his feet, let the 4 and 5 wideout sets begin.
Rex J Steelman

New Castle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>If he does as good with his hands as with his feet, let the 4 and 5 wideout sets begin.
It sounds like they're going to have to find a way to get the ball into his hands, since Sweed is blowing everyone away and is nearly a lock to take the #3 position. I'd love to see them slip into 4 or 5 WR sets sometimes (we haven't seen a 5 since the "slash" days), just not as a general rule: I believe we have a lot of talented RBs, too.
Jopa-n

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like they're going to have to find a way to get the ball into his hands, since Sweed is blowing everyone away and is nearly a lock to take the #3 position. I'd love to see them slip into 4 or 5 WR sets sometimes (we haven't seen a 5 since the "slash" days), just not as a general rule: I believe we have a lot of talented RBs, too.
I'm with you on everything. The only concern being RB's- talented they may be- won't look very talented if the line continues have problems run blocking. On the Passing side, Ben has, and I believe will, continue to overcome most of the problems that occur with pass blocking. A 4 and 5 wide set only makes it easier for him to do so (man coverage allows him to release the ball sooner to the hot read).
Bob Roberts

Butler, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>I'm with you on everything. The only concern being RB's- talented they may be- won't look very talented if the line continues have problems run blocking. On the Passing side, Ben has, and I believe will, continue to overcome most of the problems that occur with pass blocking. A 4 and 5 wide set only makes it easier for him to do so (man coverage allows him to release the ball sooner to the hot read).
I'm wondering how well Ben would play if he had to go with his 3rd 4th or 5th read. I don't think he's fast enough. Marino, Montana those guys could find the 3,4,5 read like a machine. Ben is more of a first guy covered, second guy covered, scramble left, scramble right find someone open and throw it type guy. having said that it would be awesome to see a speedster like wallace line up as a 4th receiver and take a short slant for 7-15 yards. welker does it, so can wallace IMO.

Since: Apr 08

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>If he does as good with his hands as with his feet, let the 4 and 5 wideout sets begin.
Hell yizzah! One thing I did notice in the Superbowl that I think they'll be doing a lot more this year...tossing a quick slant to Holmes in the flat, and let him use his return skills and elusiveness to pick up an easy 7+ yd gain.

If we can do that, and like you said, move to more 3-5 WR sets, we can open up the running game. We won't be seeing anymore Philly or NYG games like last year, where those bastards basically just stacked the box, and took advantage of our humble, yet stubborn offensive coordinator.
Bob Roberts

Butler, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

LZ-Steel wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell yizzah! One thing I did notice in the Superbowl that I think they'll be doing a lot more this year...tossing a quick slant to Holmes in the flat, and let him use his return skills and elusiveness to pick up an easy 7+ yd gain.
If we can do that, and like you said, move to more 3-5 WR sets, we can open up the running game. We won't be seeing anymore Philly or NYG games like last year, where those bastards basically just stacked the box, and took advantage of our humble, yet stubborn offensive coordinator.
humbel yet stubborn...that's one of the nicest things I've heard anyone say about arians.
Jopa-n

Vincentown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

LZ-Steel wrote:
<quoted text>
YES!!! That's what I'm talk'n bout. Those quick outs to Holmes (I admit Ward was my choice early in the year and I confess being short sighted on this one- I think I did not trust Holmes hands back then), are gifts in cover 2 zone. How bout lining up Miller beside him then letting Heath knock a DB out of the way as Holmes used him as a blocker/shield out in space.
How bout not stopping it after you score 10 pts. on your first two drives, and then dusting it off to use on the final drive in the 4th qtr. Let the man run I say.
What? Ben looks over and sees the CB got smart and got up in Holmes face. Time to go deep. Not too smart I guess.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>YES!!! That's what I'm talk'n bout. Those quick outs to Holmes (I admit Ward was my choice early in the year and I confess being short sighted on this one- I think I did not trust Holmes hands back then), are gifts in cover 2 zone. How bout lining up Miller beside him then letting Heath knock a DB out of the way as Holmes used him as a blocker/shield out in space.
How bout not stopping it after you score 10 pts. on your first two drives, and then dusting it off to use on the final drive in the 4th qtr. Let the man run I say.
What? Ben looks over and sees the CB got smart and got up in Holmes face. Time to go deep. Not too smart I guess.
You may have been right to doubt Holmes for a spell there. He came off his arrest looking sluggish and confused for four or five weeks (leading me and my friends to theorize that this was how he played when he WASN'T stoned), then got his act together in a BIG way in the playoffs.

I too loved that little toss to Ward in the SB. The Cards looked pretty helpless against it for most of the game.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>I'm with you on everything. The only concern being RB's- talented they may be- won't look very talented if the line continues have problems run blocking. On the Passing side, Ben has, and I believe will, continue to overcome most of the problems that occur with pass blocking. A 4 and 5 wide set only makes it easier for him to do so (man coverage allows him to release the ball sooner to the hot read).
All last season I was moaning about Tomlin's decision to make the C position a knock-down, drag-out contest when he knew all along Hartwig was going to prevail. It left less reps for the eventual starter (and made Mahan's release such a rush job that they had to take the first offer for him that came to them). But this training camp is starting to worry me even more. The musical chairs at C are getting ridiculous, thanks to Stapleton's knee and Hartwig's toe, and Urbik/Essex may still be a contest yet. I hope they can get people healthy enough and that they have enough of a sense of where they want to go that they can put a unit together and STICK with them for most of camp.

Anybody heard anything about a minor, swelling-type knee injury for Woodley? I just caught something on the radio, but it was the end of the story.
Jopa-n

Vincentown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
All last season I was moaning about Tomlin's decision to make the C position a knock-down, drag-out contest when he knew all along Hartwig was going to prevail. It left less reps for the eventual starter (and made Mahan's release such a rush job that they had to take the first offer for him that came to them). But this training camp is starting to worry me even more. The musical chairs at C are getting ridiculous, thanks to Stapleton's knee and Hartwig's toe, and Urbik/Essex may still be a contest yet. I hope they can get people healthy enough and that they have enough of a sense of where they want to go that they can put a unit together and STICK with them for most of camp.
Anybody heard anything about a minor, swelling-type knee injury for Woodley? I just caught something on the radio, but it was the end of the story.
You bring up some excellent points. Stability can be crucial with line play. On the somewhat good side I guess, The bar in my opinion, does not go very far up or down with this group as a whole. Nobody in this group is irreplacable, except maybe Starks because of his position. Ben can handle pretty much what any combo brings to the table IMO.
Haven't heard a word on Woodley.

Since: Apr 08

Monroe, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2009

Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
Tomlin indicated that Woodley's injury was a minor one. He 'tweaked' his knee, apparently. But that won't stop him from playing on Thursday, from what the most recent reports have indicated.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Daniel Sepulveda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tomlin-Era Drafts Have Stunted Steelers' Growth (Dec '12) Dec '12 justa 2
Steelers Notebook: Kapinos steps in again for i... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Goodfarts 2
Sidelined Sepulveda will miss second straight S... (Jan '11) Jan '11 William A Moose 1
Howdy! A Big D welcome to Packers, Steelers (Jan '11) Jan '11 north hills bill 4
Gerbil vs. Puma vs. Cheetah (Aug '10) Aug '10 Bob Roberts 2
First preseason game to be a test for safety Po... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Joe 2
Pittsburgh Steelers 2009 Training Camp Preview (Jul '09) Oct '09 BigBenlovers 11

Search the Daniel Sepulveda Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••