Plenty can claim the blame

Plenty can claim the blame

There are 159 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 12, 2008, titled Plenty can claim the blame. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Marcus Hamilton has been a Bear for 19 days, but after Sunday's 22-20 loss to the Falcons his teammates protected the young cornerback as if he were a longtime team member.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Al P

Chapin, SC

#1 Oct 12, 2008
This team reeks of bad coaching. When team after team finds the holes in your defensive scheme, even a blind man should be able to adjust. Our Bears just keep running the same schemes hoping it will work better.. Someone wake them up please!!

Since: Aug 08

Des Plaines, IL

#2 Oct 12, 2008
Lovie, do us all a favor and fire Babich and Turner and then RESIGN!!!!! Your GAME and CLOCK management is awful and your in game adjustents and decisions are brutal. Get the hell out of Chicago!!
richard in chandler az

United States

#3 Oct 12, 2008
This game should cost Babich his job at the bye! Lovie should be told he has no choice! If Lovie won't make the move, he should be fired with him! The squib kick and playing two deep in the prevent game this game away, no more BS! Do it!
John G

Evanston, IL

#4 Oct 12, 2008
Lovie cannot both play the role of head coach and cover for his incompetent side kick Mr. Babich. This is especially true during crunch time where both defensive schemes and clock management repeatedly get screwed up. Won't get better until Lovie gets a real defensive coordinator and turns over the reins to him. Don't hold your breath
Jerseyboy

Bayville, NY

#5 Oct 12, 2008
typical typical typical wow blame the defense sure. amazing the defense gets blamed for this one to. even in games where the defense creates turnoevers they get blamed for the losses. I agree you can blame the defense but not too mention orton as a part of this haugh is idiotic. this guy was missing for 3 and half qts and he throws a td late in the game thank god for forte and you guys praise him. just pathetic this team is getting worst every week. I thought orton was this potion every drank that lifted the teams moral it seems not even his sorry @ss could move the ball on this average defense. wake up people realize this guy is not a bonafide qb. He was out played by a damn rookie Matt Ryan (what a stud).. Maybe this will snap some sense in lovies head to sit his behind because he's so inaccurate down field it's actually effecting our running game. teams will continue to put 9 in the box until checkdown charlie can make them pay..
Fire Lovie

United States

#6 Oct 12, 2008
Squib kick "second guessing"? I said even before the kick that giving it to Atlanta on the 40 (which they did even without kicking it out of bounds) was a horrible idea. Norwood isn't Hester. Just because he returned the last kick 80 yards thanks to a no-call block in the back doesn't mean he'd do it again. Time expires even if he does. Kick it deep and dare them to put together a good return or to hit an 80-yard bomb with no time on the clock.

Haugh usually tells it like it is, but he's dropping the ball here. Lovie's horrendous squib kick call may go down as the worst of many bad calls of late. His coaching cost the team the game, not the idiot rookie corner who shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. Lovie is not doing his job, and it's costing his team games. He's lucky I'm not the GM, because he'd already be out selling Streetwise. I guarantee you most if not all the readers here have been fired for less.
since63

Mesa, AZ

#7 Oct 12, 2008
So it’s commendable that they all want to take credit for that ugly football game, however, the offensive play calling is dreadful. What happened to last week’s game plan? Did we abandon it because it worked? By the way, Rod, we have two tight ends that can catch the ball close to the end zone? Dez caught them last year remember? Also the line is not that strong, keep telling yourself it is, but today we saw the reality, again. Defensively, Tommie, please sit down until you can play, you are great when you have two good knees. Oh, and don’t try and run with the ball! Brian, give the money back, yes, I’ve seen your box score stats, but I didn’t see four tackles this week and certainly didn’t see eight last week.

Why did we lose, it really was a team effort. From coaching decisions, to the play calling on both sides of the ball and let’s not forget some of the team, step up when you have to, you have to do it because Lovie won’t do it, it would be unchristian! Fire them all and hire a real bear to lead this team. My recommendation would be Ron Rivera, with maybe Mike Singletary as a coach to help. Real Bears who would make our players proud to wear the uniform again.
Nick

United States

#8 Oct 12, 2008
Ahh the good old squib kick...
Give a team the ball 25 yards from where they need to be to score..Make it easy...
Lovie is just another coach who blew a game by using the squib or pooch or whatever the hell it's called!
I don't get it and I never will but you can bet some coach will do it again next week..Why?
Cause that's what they do!!

Nick
Vic

United States

#9 Oct 12, 2008
Hey Haugh, stop being such an apologist in an effort to appear level-headed and rational. Fact is, there were 11 seconds left and they blew the game with a stupid squib kick and a horrible defensive call on the next play.
On top of that, this joke of an overrated defense let a rookie go Joe Montana on them and yet again didn't get a single sack (like against Tampa).
The coaching on this team sucks.
Mgray

United States

#10 Oct 12, 2008
Lovie Smith is the ONLY coach in the NFL that does NOT work on Sundays. This guy is BRAIN dead in game situations. If the game coms down 2 coaching, the Bears will LOSE every time.

“Let's rock!!”

Since: Oct 07

Aurora, IL

#11 Oct 12, 2008
I don't rate Bears coaches....they all suck!
vin

United States

#12 Oct 12, 2008
I got a defensive coordinator in mind, Rob Riverra
Mr Z

Aurora, IL

#13 Oct 12, 2008
not only was the squib kick a bad idea, there is no way that you should call cover two in a situation like that. late in a game when the other team has to complete a long pass, you should be in a cover 3 or cover 4, or even a prevent, where you drop all but the down linemen back in coverage. rush 3, drop 8 in coverage. hell, rush two, drop 9, its not like they could get a sack on matt ryan anyway. embarassing, thats all that can really be said about this loss.

Since: Sep 08

Bloomington,IL

#14 Oct 12, 2008
Maybe the Bears coaching staff knows something we don't know?
That Gould can't kick it deep, even so an attempt at deep is better than a squib. What a wasted effort by Orton.

Since: Sep 08

Bloomington,IL

#15 Oct 12, 2008
I posted this earlier, but I feel compelled to do it again, so If any body sees this please feel free to comment---Here's the deal. Tony Dungy grows weary in Indy and retires to pursue mission work. Bill Polin seeks replacement immediatley and hires Lovie due to the two men's common and personal beliefs. Meanwhile Ted Philips tired of taking heat from Virginia is forced to fire Angelo. Philips trys to hire Ditka as GM but Ditka agrees to step in as an advisor much like Tuna is in Miami. After reviewing the situation Ditka hires Singletary to coach, Brings Gale Sayers in as GM. Singletary brings back Rivera as Defensive Coordinater, keeps Ron Turner because he believes his hands were being tied with Lovie. Then Rivera brings in Dan Hampton to help and coach the d-line and brings in Doug Plank to coach the secondary. Though not complete, this would work! Am I crazy or what?
Kyle Is Our Guy

Cleveland, OH

#16 Oct 12, 2008
Nice to see Urlacher, Briggs and Harris step up and play like the top paid players they are!

*sarcasm*
Kyle Is Our Guy

Cleveland, OH

#17 Oct 12, 2008
vin wrote:
I got a defensive coordinator in mind, Rob Riverra
Is that Ron Rivera's brother?
JDD

Dallas, TX

#18 Oct 12, 2008
Fire Lovie already. He is not a leader of men who inspires. He's Dusty Baker out there. He and Angelo need to go but the ownership is too inept themselves to see it. Mr Cuban, could you please try to buy The Bears too?

Since: Jun 08

United States

#19 Oct 12, 2008
Unexcusably bad decisions:

-Don't kick field goal on 4th and one with minutes to go and two scores needed.

-Kick a squib kick to give a team one play on their own 40+ yard line when that team has the kicker with the NFL longest field goal record.

-Play a soft prevent defense with 7 seconds left in the game and only 20 yards to field goal range.

I am no football expert, but even a high school coach would not make these mistakes.
Petaluma Dave

Petaluma, CA

#20 Oct 12, 2008
No excuse for the squib. Unless Norwood takes it all the way back, any return long enough to have gotten Atlanta into field goal range would have eaten up the entire clock. And if you as a coach are fearful enough about a long return to make that call, then you have not done your job in the first place. Brutal finish. This is the kind of game that gives those asking for accountability among the coaches legitimate ammunition.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danieal Manning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Houston aims to be NFL's top defense (Nov '12) Nov '12 JJ Fartt 1
News Grading the Chicago BearsSpecial Teams (Mar '11) Mar '11 flaca 1
News Bears GM says Smith in for extension (Jan '11) Jan '11 saberblade 1
News Packers-Bears: 'Caveman football' for new century (Jan '11) Jan '11 TUBB29 11
News Vikings close to signing Mike Singletary as lin... (Jan '11) Jan '11 bakerquaker 41
More from around the web