Seeking a special-teams spark, Bears ...

Seeking a special-teams spark, Bears expected to sub Manning fo...

There are 32 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 21, 2008, titled Seeking a special-teams spark, Bears expected to sub Manning fo.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Expect Danieal Manning to be the No. 1 guy on kick returns Sunday when the Bears face the Rams, although nothing is etched in stone.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 08

Aurora, IL

#1 Nov 21, 2008
Holy cow...give a guy a $40 M extension and now he is benched for returns, which is his strongest position? Great work, Angelo.
Wooly Bully

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Nov 21, 2008
Why don't they cloud Hester's mind and game by having him learn yet another position. The Bears need a solid cornerback and a pursuit linebacker. Maybe Hester can play both positions - that way he can play offense, defense AND special teams.

Go Bears!!!! Go Angelo!!!!
Gimy

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Nov 21, 2008
with all due respect...i don't expect Hess to return every kick for a td. i do expect better than average #'s though, and not JUST because the guy signed that big deal. bottom line...this year he sucks. isn't bad...but sucks. he has only a handful of GOOD returns, most of the time i cringe when the ball is kicked to him because he's costing us field position by doing nothing(and sometimes negative yards) when he gets it.

manning is no last year hester but unless he falls down at the 20 everytime...he'll be better than the current Hester. he has explosiveness but unlike Hess...he doesn't dance around. the change was coming and is necessary if we want to win.

i'm waiting for what Deion is going to say 'bout this...haha
SAH

Bradenton, FL

#4 Nov 21, 2008
He blah blah blah because they blah blah blah after that blah blah blah. Now if blah blah blah was blah blah blah we could blah blah blah. Shouldn't blah blah blah?

Forget all the blah blah blah and just win!
BensonSucks

United States

#5 Nov 21, 2008
Babbit wrote:
Holy cow...give a guy a $40 M extension and now he is benched for returns, which is his strongest position? Great work, Angelo.
Well, he is benched (this week) for kick returns, not punt returns where he has had more TD returns in his career. Hester also didn't sign for $40 million per say.

He signed signed a $40 million dollar extension through 2013 back loaded with incentives and escaltors.... all with a mere $15 million in gauranteed money.

Hetser has to acheive some lofty WR numbers to get the bulk of the contrct dollars so the honus is really on Hester shoulders to make the deal lucrative for him.

Perhaps that is why he seems to be pressing so much. Things have'nt gone according to his plan and he can see the money falling out of his pocket on a weekly basis.

GO Bears !!
BensonSucks

United States

#6 Nov 21, 2008
meant to say signed through 2012.
Jeff

United States

#7 Nov 21, 2008
I think the other teams have been directional kicking against Hester and are just so alert that they are playing good special team defense. He may have had a few bad plays that are of his own fault but it's just good coverage on a break-away palyer that they are very aware of.
Secondly...you have the guy playing wide receiver when he should be a slot receiver like Welker in New England or be more creative like the way Washington uses Santana Moss.
Obviously the guy has not lost his talent. How is benching on kick returns going to help him with his confidence on kick returns. In basketball when you are cold you are told to keep shooting, in baseball you keep swinging until you get out of the slump. Let the guy make his adjustments and give him the damn ball.
On a side-note...Rex Grossman should never play for the Bears again ever...horrible quarterback in all aspects. Can't pass, can't run, can't think and make horrible decisions.
Jeff
Blah

Metamora, IL

#8 Nov 21, 2008
It's great to see the Bears continue to take great talents and ruin them. They should have never told him that he could be a No. 1 receiver. Let's see, they promoted Mark Anderson to starting end last year, when they knew he was best at rushing the passer on 3rd down. Where is he now? Also, Danielle Manning has been bounced around in the secondary like a rubber ball. What's his real position? Who knows. I know the Bears don't. Good move trading Chris Harris for nothing. Maybe we should go after Archuleta again. Jerry Angelo and this coaching staff make me want to pull the hair clean out of my head!

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

#9 Nov 21, 2008
Question: Why don't the Bears go with 2 men on returns? The possibilities of having a reverse, lateral opportunities, etc, make this a viable solution.

Oh? Sorry, I forgot. Hester's unable to remember how to lateral.
Albert R

Muncie, IN

#10 Nov 21, 2008
Is Devin a better Kick/Punt Returner or a Receiver? The Bears' obviously think he is a better receiver or they wouldn't have demoted him.

What is wrong with trying a "Wild Cat" formation using him.

DuPage County

#11 Nov 21, 2008
Albert R wrote:
Is Devin a better Kick/Punt Returner or a Receiver? The Bears' obviously think he is a better receiver or they wouldn't have demoted him.
What is wrong with trying a "Wild Cat" formation using him.
Devin can't remember how to speall 'cat'.

DuPage County

#12 Nov 21, 2008
Apparently it's cathing...I can't spell 'spell'.
quills

Oswego, IL

#13 Nov 21, 2008
Good set his butt down and let him watch. Sure wasn't doing the Bears any good returning kickoffs. Put him down on punts too. He hasn't learned how to run routes yet as a receiver and I wonder if he has thrown a block for another receiver. Hate to give the kind of money they did to him and then he goes into the tank. But that is typical of these guys get the money then start trying to think about how to do things. Something football players never need to do is think. Just react especially skill players who use their natural ability and not their brains to succeed. He has the money now like Harris so not much the team can do but sit their butts.
Sublime1

Denver, CO

#14 Nov 21, 2008
I think this is a good move. Hester has looked below average this year.
Sublime1

Denver, CO

#15 Nov 21, 2008
Babbit wrote:
Angelo has made some bad moves and some poor draft picks, but I don't think at the time anyone thought giving hester that money was a bad idea. Hindsight is usually 20/20.
E B F

Thornton, IL

#16 Nov 21, 2008
Instead of trashing Angelo for trying to show loyalty to his own players,
why not hold the coaches and players accountable for not teaching and playing. Get them outta town. Now.
Look, even if you don't know a thing about football, listening to the broadcasters will let you know what's working or not working and why.
If my boss pulls me in the office to give me a huge raise, there would be no end to the ways I would show my appreciation. I'd do damn near anything to prove that I'm worthy of his confidence in me.
Lovie got paid first, and we haven't been shi* since. Daniel Manning will help, but we need a new scouting department that won't blow so many high draft picks, new coaches that know how to teach and adjust, and some people who pound home the fact...
This Is CHICAGO! This Is The Home Of THE CHICAGO BEARS! We Root For The Legendary MONSTERS OF THE MIDWAY!
The change needs to be made this offseason. Chicago has been embarrassed long enough. Stop this mess right now. Please.
T J Woodbury

Lander, WY

#17 Nov 21, 2008
What a joke. D Manning is the worst DB ever to wear a Bear uniform. Can't cover, can't tackle, and can't hide. No business being on the field with our D, which just shows how low we've sunk. He IS, however, better at returns. Sayers sees the truth. Hester has an incentive-laden contract based on his production at WR, and thus runs out of bounds or falls down like Benson whenever he is returning, because he is afraid of getting hurt and wants his money. What a huge bum, like just about everyone on this team except Briggs, Orton, Forte and the O-line. Time to clean house. Wish Singletary was OUR coach, but would settle for Rivera.
Joe Felicelli

United States

#18 Nov 21, 2008
Well, one thing is for sure...the way the defense is playing, we will be returning a lot of kickoffs the rest of the year, so Manning will have ample opportunity to prove himself as a solid return man
Rich

Wakeeney, KS

#19 Nov 21, 2008
I couldn't concentrate on the article,still trying to figure in my mind why we seem to draft a lot of injured players. Also we like to play starters that are hurt . If the O eleven and the D eleven(starters) are the only ones that can play .Why a 53 man roster???? Am I supposed to believe that a starter at 75/80% is that much better than the 2nd stringer. And if the subs don't get snaps during the week--Just what are they doing at practice.
bradlon

Enterprise, AL

#20 Nov 21, 2008
there isn't anything wrong with hester he's thinking to much on returns than he has the previous years. He just need to relax and run that's what he is use to doing. we talking about a player that still can be the best returner ever he still got speed and the ability to get away from tacklers he just need to get back to his old self when he just didn't care about nothing in front of him. Just catch and run they didn't make a mistake in signing him. Just go out there and have fun hester and do what we all know you can do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danieal Manning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Houston aims to be NFL's top defense (Nov '12) Nov '12 JJ Fartt 1
News Grading the Chicago BearsSpecial Teams (Mar '11) Mar '11 flaca 1
News Bears GM says Smith in for extension (Jan '11) Jan '11 saberblade 1
News Packers-Bears: 'Caveman football' for new century (Jan '11) Jan '11 TUBB29 11
News Vikings close to signing Mike Singletary as lin... (Jan '11) Jan '11 bakerquaker 41
More from around the web