Bears defense looking for 'A' game

Bears defense looking for 'A' game

There are 9 comments on the ChicagoSports.com story from Aug 23, 2008, titled Bears defense looking for 'A' game. In it, ChicagoSports.com reports that:

The Tribune's David Haugh lists five areas where the Bears could improve their defense.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ChicagoSports.com.

Jacob S

Aurora, IL

#1 Aug 23, 2008
these are definetely what the defense needs to be successful... if they do bad this season, they have no excuses and you can see some people cut off the team next offseason
Z in Atlanta

Miami, FL

#2 Aug 23, 2008
My Sherlock Holmes-like skills noticed the "A" pattern. So, you forgot:

A Competent Defensive Coordinator
Rod from Tennessee

AOL

#3 Aug 23, 2008
If there's one thing that can be said about Lovie Smith, it's he's a stubborn one. Most coaches are i suppose, but Lovie seems extra stubborn, which drives someone crazy when what he's doing isn't working, and he's not willing to make any changes.
Thomas Bartos

Granite Bay, CA

#4 Aug 23, 2008
This years defense will be known as the "Babich Patch Kids" Player need to be motivated and made to answer for shoddy play. Babich & Lovie want to cuddle them so their psyche isn't bruised. Perhaps they need crying towels. Let's all bring white towels to the next game and wave them when the defense makes a poor play. That should get their attention.
prand15

Mount Ulla, NC

#5 Aug 23, 2008
The Problem starts at the top. Lovie Smith is a horrible coach. I know, some of you are going to say that I am just a lovie hater. He just took us to the Super Bowl 2 years ago. Lovie's biggest problem is that he is so insecure that he is afraid to have anybody smarter than him on his coaching staff. Two years ago Lovie said that there will be competition at every position. So what does he do he gets rid of Rivera. I believe he lost the respect of his guys the minute he did that. Rivera made Lovie Smith a better coach , but he failed to realize this. So instead of everyone talking super bowl this off season, they were talking contract extensions' Why not, their coach just did it the year before. So he decided to keep Ron turner around, he decided that Babich was the greatest Tampa Two coach ever. So Guys lay off Rex and Kyle, All they did was get drafted, and had no one to teach them.
Rich W

Oregon, WI

#6 Aug 24, 2008
The defense looks like it is playing defensively, setting back on their heels waiting for something to happen. The bear defense we love is an offensive defense they make things happen not passively letting the offense take the game to them. They say a team takes on the personality of its coach we’ve seen Ditka and his teams and now Lovie and his maybe this is true after all.
michael yock

Pompano Beach, FL

#7 Aug 24, 2008
hey lovie, when are u going to realize that the league has caught up to your system on D. Even the colts adapted and made changes. You are a stubborn coach and teams know how to beat this defense. With all this talent on D, we need to be attacking!! not playing soft zone and hoping to recover a few fumbles. Use Urlachers speed for something besides dropping into coverage. How about some twists, stunts, etc from the D line, instead of walking urlacher up over the center and blitzing him right into the waiting arms of the opposing teams oline. This coaching staff better make some system changes and attack. Oh yeah, do not let danieal manning play any defense. he misses way to many tackles/assignments.
Clark

Cicero, IL

#8 Aug 24, 2008
How about Lovie just subtly give the hint to 1,2,3,4 or more defensive starters that they may not start unless their efforts get better.
JonG

Tillsonburg, Canada

#9 Aug 24, 2008
All your points are good, but I noticed how "adjustments" evoked (valid) comments about Lovie's stubborness and Babich's lack of imagination. I hate to think of D. Manning getting shifted around some more, but I agree that R. Manning jr. should get more time in at nickelback. Likes and dislikes aside, he is a hardnosed playmaker and seems not to get bit by the injury bug as much as some others.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danieal Manning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Houston aims to be NFL's top defense (Nov '12) Nov '12 JJ Fartt 1
News Grading the Chicago BearsSpecial Teams (Mar '11) Mar '11 flaca 1
News Bears GM says Smith in for extension (Jan '11) Jan '11 saberblade 1
News Packers-Bears: 'Caveman football' for new century (Jan '11) Jan '11 TUBB29 11
News Vikings close to signing Mike Singletary as lin... (Jan '11) Jan '11 bakerquaker 41
More from around the web