Chicago Bears in contact with free ag...

Chicago Bears in contact with free agent Darren Sharper

There are 100 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 28, 2009, titled Chicago Bears in contact with free agent Darren Sharper. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

There is a mutual interest between the Bears and veteran safety Darren Sharper .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“FIRE CHILLY! FIRE CHILLY! ”

Since: Aug 08

Rensselaer

#84 Mar 2, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't get out much, do you? Everyone coming out of college gets compared to someone to boost their standing in the draft. From a combination of college film and the combine, they said that he had intelligence and field awareness and hit hard like both Fencik and Lynch. I saw a little bit of that on special teams and a couple of games at safety last year, but nothing close to those two.
But let's face it. Ronnie Lott isn't available. We have to build with what's out there, and Sharper isn't the answer. Hire Mike Brown as DBs coach and let him turn whoever we have into what we want.
i know they get compared to somebody coming out of the draft. they compare them to their style of play. i was just saying that he wont be as good as either of them. and steltz's hitting came no where even close to lynch or fencik last year.
Greg

Cicero, IL

#85 Mar 2, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't get out much, do you? Everyone coming out of college gets compared to someone to boost their standing in the draft. From a combination of college film and the combine, they said that he had intelligence and field awareness and hit hard like both Fencik and Lynch. I saw a little bit of that on special teams and a couple of games at safety last year, but nothing close to those two.
But let's face it. Ronnie Lott isn't available. We have to build with what's out there, and Sharper isn't the answer. Hire Mike Brown as DBs coach and let him turn whoever we have into what we want.
What makes you think that Mike Brown would be a good coach? I would agree that he is intelligent and was a good player but those traits don't always translate to being a good coach.

The best coaches never made it to the NFL and none of them are in line for any Nobel prizes either.
NJ Bears Fan

United States

#86 Mar 2, 2009
My only caveat about picking up Sharper is the injury rick that comes with almost every football player in their mid-thirties. I just fear he would end up riding pine or in some sort of rehab facility, but other than that, it's not the worst idea out there.
Keith

Waupaca, WI

#87 Mar 2, 2009
RE: Mike Brown versus Darren Sharper...

2008 Stats:
Mike Brown (age 31)- 15 Games Played, 73 Tackles, 57 Solo, 16 Assists, 1.0 Sacks, 8 Pass Deflections, & 2 INTs.

Darren Sharper (age 33)- 16 Games Played, 69 Tackles, 60 Solo, 9 Assist, 0.0 Sacks, 5 Pass Deflections, & 1 INT.

The fact we don't have depth at this position and we wrote Mike Brown off amazes me.

Angelo may have a contract through 2013 but a buyout needs to be considered if we don't at least make the playoffs next year.
Greg

Cicero, IL

#88 Mar 2, 2009
Keith wrote:
RE: Mike Brown versus Darren Sharper...
2008 Stats:
Mike Brown (age 31)- 15 Games Played, 73 Tackles, 57 Solo, 16 Assists, 1.0 Sacks, 8 Pass Deflections, & 2 INTs.
Darren Sharper (age 33)- 16 Games Played, 69 Tackles, 60 Solo, 9 Assist, 0.0 Sacks, 5 Pass Deflections, & 1 INT.
The fact we don't have depth at this position and we wrote Mike Brown off amazes me.
Angelo may have a contract through 2013 but a buyout needs to be considered if we don't at least make the playoffs next year.
Your statistics bear out the fact that neither Brown nor Sharper should be in the Bears' backfield this season. What about fumbles caused and fumbles recovered?

“<insert witty comment here>”

Since: Jul 07

United States

#89 Mar 2, 2009
Jeebs wrote:
<quoted text>
i know they get compared to somebody coming out of the draft. they compare them to their style of play. i was just saying that he wont be as good as either of them. and steltz's hitting came no where even close to lynch or fencik last year.
No argument here. If you go back and read my post, I said that if he is *HALF* as good as either of them, he'd be a good addition to the roster.
Bill

Mission Hills, CA

#90 Mar 2, 2009
NJ Bears Fan wrote:
My only caveat about picking up Sharper is the injury rick that comes with almost every football player in their mid-thirties. I just fear he would end up riding pine or in some sort of rehab facility, but other than that, it's not the worst idea out there.

O K.......... Let's follow thru on that logic.

1) Sign Sharper and hope that he doesn't get hurt.

2) Or re-sign Mike Brown and hope that he doesn't get hurt.

Which one is the no-brainer ??

Besides, Angelo wouldn't have to spend so much valuable time "focusing",... and he could actually pursue players we NEEDED...... Instead of "solving" problems that weren't there before the Bears invented them.

“Let's rock!!”

Since: Oct 07

Aurora, IL

#91 Mar 2, 2009
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
MIKE BROWN!! Man, the intangibles he brings to the team are unreal!!

He put in a few really evil hits last season, and he is still out there...why not??

Rensselaer

#92 Mar 2, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
<quoted text>
No argument here. If you go back and read my post, I said that if he is *HALF* as good as either of them, he'd be a good addition to the roster.
oh, i thought you were trying to compare them in level of skill or what steltz will be someday. i was starting to wonder if you lost your mind or couldnt step away from the bong. but now it makes sense when i went back and read it again.
Bill

Naperville, IL

#93 Mar 3, 2009
Otis wrote:
<quoted text>
MIKE BROWN!! Man, the intangibles he brings to the team are unreal!!
He put in a few really evil hits last season, and he is still out there...why not??

Go figure...... And Mike would have come much cheaper.

NOW do you realize why Angelo is starting to pull my cork !

United States

#94 Mar 3, 2009
Jeebs wrote:
<quoted text>
oh, i thought you were trying to compare them in level of skill or what steltz will be someday. i was starting to wonder if you lost your mind or couldnt step away from the bong. but now it makes sense when i went back and read it again.
My post was more out of respect for Lynch and Fencik (and Lott) than guessing how good Steltz is. They just don't make 'em like that anymore...
D-RoseandtheRose naires

United States

#95 Mar 3, 2009
Yeahhhhh!.........Not

Rensselaer

#96 Mar 3, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
<quoted text>
My post was more out of respect for Lynch and Fencik (and Lott) than guessing how good Steltz is. They just don't make 'em like that anymore...
thats what i didnt realize when i first responded to it.
James

Encino, CA

#97 Mar 3, 2009
Un(bear)able!

Simple & plain the offense needs serious help & i'm just sick & tired of this. Put the defense on the back burner for now. Show the world what Bears football is all about! instead of getting rid of key players like Mushin & Berrian lets build off of those kinda players.

If our comments were just taken into consideration.....

United States

#99 Mar 3, 2009
Jeebs wrote:
<quoted text>
thats what i didnt realize when i first responded to it.
That's the one drawback with message boards: you can't read faces or body langauge, and you can't hear the inflection in the voice...
Bill

Wayne, IL

#100 Mar 3, 2009
IamSam wrote:
<quoted text>
No surprise here,I could see that you were a funny boy.You just lube it up and go,Huh? You are a sick boy,like your Lover,Nada Surf!! You need to go Bye,Bye!

You .. are .. one .. sick .. little .. puppy.

Your .. mommy .. did .. one .. hell .. of .. a .. twisted .. job .. on .. you !!

Did .. you .. ever .. know .. your .. daddy ??

Rensselaer

#101 Mar 3, 2009
nova0311 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the one drawback with message boards: you can't read faces or body langauge, and you can't hear the inflection in the voice...
yeah, i often put out the wrong idea over what im trying to say.
NJ Bears Fan

United States

#102 Mar 4, 2009
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Besides, Angelo wouldn't have to spend so much valuable time "focusing",... and he could actually pursue players we NEEDED...... Instead of "solving" problems that weren't there before the Bears invented them.
Understood, but my point is we need to get younger on defense all around. This once fearsome defense is getting old, and with age comes injuries and ineptitude, not everyone can be Ray Lewis. In my opinion, the Bears defense needs to start developing talent rather than focusing on acquiring talent from another team, and if you are going to do that, I'd rather see a 28 year old than a 33 year old. But I could be wrong.
Greg

Cicero, IL

#103 Mar 4, 2009
NJ Bears Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Understood, but my point is we need to get younger on defense all around. This once fearsome defense is getting old, and with age comes injuries and ineptitude, not everyone can be Ray Lewis. In my opinion, the Bears defense needs to start developing talent rather than focusing on acquiring talent from another team, and if you are going to do that, I'd rather see a 28 year old than a 33 year old. But I could be wrong.
You could be wrong but you're not.
Bill

Wayne, IL

#104 Mar 4, 2009
NJ Bears Fan wrote:
<quoted text>

Oh, I agree.

But I'm saying that the Bears have so many needs ..... they don't have to go about making more where none existed.

Solve everything FIRST...... Then go about refining...... It's hard to believe that safety was our #1 need !

How many days have already been wasted on Sharper??

All that we have to show so far in FA is a second string O-Lineman.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danieal Manning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Houston aims to be NFL's top defense (Nov '12) Nov '12 JJ Fartt 1
News Grading the Chicago BearsSpecial Teams (Mar '11) Mar '11 flaca 1
News Bears GM says Smith in for extension (Jan '11) Jan '11 saberblade 1
News Packers-Bears: 'Caveman football' for new century (Jan '11) Jan '11 TUBB29 11
News Vikings close to signing Mike Singletary as lin... (Jan '11) Jan '11 bakerquaker 41
More from around the web