Defensive overhaul should be Bears' top priority

There will be a time and place to find optimism in the Bears going 9-7 in a season when so many expected so little. Full Story
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Dan in San Fran

Milpitas, CA

#205 Dec 29, 2008
It is obvious that the Bears have problems on both sides of the football, but the part that failed them in the key games this year is defense. In the Carolina, Tampa, and Atlanta games, the offense scored enough to win the games, but the defense failed them down the stretch. The Bears are also not built with the philosophy to win with high-scoring offense, but to win with defense and running the ball. When the defense can not stop the other teams, the Bears have a hard time catching up. (continued)
Dan in San Fran

Milpitas, CA

#206 Dec 29, 2008
The Bears defense must be improved. This will mean changing some of the players, but the biggest change must be in better schemes. The NFL has evolved beyond the Cover 2. It is telling that none of the top five defenses this year (Pittsburg, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington, NY Giants) use Cover 2 as their main scheme. In the two years before, there is only one Cover 2 team in the top five defenses (Tampa in 07 and the Bears in 06). The big question I have is - Can Lovie evolve beyond the cover 2. If not, then we know where the changes must start with.
Ken

Silver Spring, MD

#207 Dec 29, 2008
Bravo! You nailed it. The players in the locker room nailed it. I pray that the Lovie and Jerry hear it. We need a "Singletary" type attitude shake up... coming from the top. You could see and "feel" the difference he made after taking over the 49ers. Sometimes it's less about talent and more about scheme and effort. Multiple times this year, comments coming from players who aren't afraid to speak up, gave the distinct impression that they were not confident in the coach's plan... i.e. "We just do what our coach tells us..." I have to avoid the incredible temptation to rant after another disappointment. Keep up the good work David and come on Bears!
I predict

Bartlett, IL

#208 Dec 29, 2008
I predict that the bears lose 2 games to Detroit next year lol
Jeff

Evanston, IL

#209 Dec 29, 2008
It would have been embarrassing had the bears gotten in the playoffs over the Eagles. The Bears need to start changes now and in training camp (rated as the easiest training camp in the NFL for 2 straight years!!!)
WrecksAlwaysSux

King Of Prussia, PA

#210 Dec 29, 2008
The defense should not have been needed in those situations to protect a slim lead, if Turdner's "offense" had actually taken advantage of its fair share of great field positions created by the defense and special teams throughout the games. A prime example was last season's opener against San Diego. The D was matching San Diego hit by hit, stop by stop, but eventually got worn down due to the offensive ineptitude, losing Mike Brown, Dusty Dvoczak and coughing up two late TDs. The 0-16 Lions came very close to beating the Bears in the second meeting because the offense couldn't get a first down in multiple possessions to run out the clock. Babich and Lovie Smith both should be fired, but when are you clueless fans going to realize Turdner's "offense" has been a bigger problem?
Bleed Cubbie blue

United States

#211 Dec 29, 2008
Wrecks, people have been bitching about the offense all throughout this thread. Have you not been paying attention? Or are you simply blind?
Dan in San Fran

Milpitas, CA

#212 Dec 29, 2008
WrecksAlwaysSux wrote:
The defense should not have been needed in those situations to protect a slim lead,
What an ignorant comment. If the offense gives you the lead, the defense is not supposed to protect it? Do the rest of us a favor, give up watching a sport you obviously do not understand and try knitting instead.
WrecksAlwaysSux

King Of Prussia, PA

#213 Dec 29, 2008
Which part of running out the clock, don't you understand? Now, go back to your kitchen.
WrecksAlwaysSux

King Of Prussia, PA

#214 Dec 29, 2008
Says one of the resident Wrecksapologists during "Bear with us". The truth hurts, particularly when it comes to exposing the Mental Midget as an NFL flop. Logical reasoning is never a Wrecks fan clubs' strongsuit. In their bizarro world, it's all the fans booing that makes Wrecks suck.

Lovie Smith and Turdner apparently share this braindead philosophy exposed by this dolt below, that a 10-0 early lead should be enough to win in the NFL, therefore squandering the great field positions here-on-after again and again.
Dan in San Fran wrote:
<quoted text>
What an ignorant comment. If the offense gives you the lead, the defense is not supposed to protect it? Do the rest of us a favor, give up watching a sport you obviously do not understand and try knitting instead.
_Floyd

United States

#215 Dec 30, 2008
I respectfully disagree with Dan in San Fran about Lovie's cover 2 defense. The bears committed 8 guys to the box more often than not this season, consequently they ended up playing a lot of man defense & cover 3 instead of cover 2. They only played cover 2 about 30% of the time. They had to use 8 men in the box because Lovie for what ever the reasons are doesn't seem to understand that 330 pound O-linemen will wear down his smaller D-linemen. Rather than change his coaching philosophy and use larger D-linemen (A. Adams & M. Harrison)he would rather commit 8 guys to the box instead which is totally asinine if you ask me. 8 men in the box is the reason the bears can't seem to cover a slant route, it's also the reason why the bears can't seem to stop adrian peterson. When he breaks the first wave of bear tacklers he's usually off to the races for a long run.
Thank you

Roselle, IL

#216 Dec 30, 2008
Weak pass rush. What happened to the "great" line. Offensive line. St.Clair couldn't even block out light.
Sorry, but Kyle Orton is just really average. Stop the run, but a sieve secondary.
No significant receivers. This is a mediocre team that overachieved, really. Lovie is no Bill Walsh for sure.
WTF

United States

#217 Dec 30, 2008
Why would anyone listen to anything Lovie says? He is the Dexter Manley of NFL coaches. Since he ran off the assistant coaches that helped get them to the Super Bowl and replaced them with HIS hand picked buddies this team has fallen apart. He is a JOKE and the Bears will be as long as he is the coach.
Greg

Chicago, IL

#218 Dec 30, 2008
I predict wrote:
I predict that the bears lose 2 games to Detroit next year ****
Wanna bet?
Don Lucas in Va

Woodbridge, VA

#219 Dec 31, 2008
Until we get better at defending against a pass the Bears will never see a Superbowl again. Tackling could be improved as well; you can't stop a runner tackling him around the chest or hips. Try the legs.
rosco

Barrington, IL

#220 Jan 1, 2009
Dump Urlacher! Dump Urlacher! Cut him now!
ADJ

United States

#221 Jan 1, 2009
I think the D needs 3 things:
1. new coordinator
2. new safety
3. a pass rush
John Patterson

Lakeland, FL

#222 Jan 1, 2009
The defensive personnel would appear to be better than past years. Even so, the last two years has seen poor results. Since
this coincides with Lovie's choice of defensive coordinator.....
it seems obvious to me that this is the likely problem. Unfortunately, he is a Lovie yes man....so nothing changes!
Dan in San Fran

Milpitas, CA

#223 Jan 3, 2009
WrecksAlwaysSux wrote:
The truth hurts, particularly when it comes to exposing the Mental Midget as an NFL flop.<quoted text>
The truth is Grossman was not an issue in 2008 and Orton would not have made a difference in 2007. Time to show a little creativity and change your lame name for 2009.
Dan in San Fran

Milpitas, CA

#224 Jan 3, 2009
Floyd, you bring up some great points. The Bears did show many 8 men fronts this year but the safety often tried to drop off to Cover 2 before the snap. Unfortunately, this ploy often backfired as teams adjusted and the safety was not in position on too many plays. I agree with the undersized defensive tackles wearing out, but the preference for quick but small defensive tackles is also a remnant of Cover 2.

BTW, Harrison played a lot of 3 technique tackle to spell Tommie Harris and did quite well when he was in. Ideally, he should be at the right tackle (nose tackle) along with Tommie at 3 technique tackle, but Tommie's seldom at full health to play a full game. The Bears could use another big nose tackle, but they also need receivers, safety, DE, and depth at LB, QB, O-line, RB.

The kid I like is Taylor Mays who plays safety at USC and is 6-3 230 lbs who may even be able to play Will linebacker. Did I say he runs a 4.25 and is THE fastest player on a fast USC team? This kid will rock the combine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danieal Manning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
Houston aims to be NFL's top defense (Nov '12) Nov '12 JJ Fartt 1
Grading the Chicago BearsSpecial Teams (Mar '11) Mar '11 flaca 1
Bears GM says Smith in for extension (Jan '11) Jan '11 saberblade 1
Packers-Bears: 'Caveman football' for new century (Jan '11) Jan '11 TUBB29 11
Vikings close to signing Mike Singletary as lin... (Jan '11) Jan '11 bakerquaker 41

Danieal Manning People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE