Defensive overhaul should be Bears' t...

Defensive overhaul should be Bears' top priority

There are 220 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 28, 2008, titled Defensive overhaul should be Bears' top priority. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

There will be a time and place to find optimism in the Bears going 9-7 in a season when so many expected so little.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Jeff

Chicago, IL

#1 Dec 28, 2008
Gutless performance
WrecksAlwaysSux

King Of Prussia, PA

#2 Dec 28, 2008
Wow, what a moronic piece! They already spent lopsided in defense and they need a defensive overhaul?! The only "haul" needed on D is firing Babich and Smith. The personnel is fine. Only minor tinkering there. It's the scheme that should be changed. Offense is where the overhaul is desperately needed, sans Forte, starting with axing Turd Turner.
PT from Oaktown

Brisbane, CA

#3 Dec 28, 2008
Here we go again,

I mean are you serious, OFFENSE is the MAIN problem. I mean anytime you get field postion the way we do and don't convert that is the problem, I am sure we had the best starting field postion in the the league, I am tired for the defense, every year the same thing over and over, no offense, three and out all day all night. DAVE wake up. Yes the D needs some tweaking but the O is the PROBLEM, it has always been other then 85.
Gross Rexman

Middlesex, NC

#4 Dec 28, 2008
Haugh, you are a horrible journalist. I can't believe you get paid for this drivel. Your logic is as flawed as the negative ramblings spouted off by the racist douche WrecksAlwaysSux.

Anyway, Haugh, we're all still waiting for you to acknowledge the 100% wrong logic in your piece entitled "Bears Hold Mental Edge Over Vikes." That article made Rosenbloom's wavering pieces look scholarly.
KPR

AOL

#5 Dec 28, 2008
Tillman IS a weakness on defense, his new nickname should be "Roasted Peanut". He gets burned every weak or he causes very stupid penalties, some even costing the team a win. What was Angelo thinking giving such a contract to one of the dumbest players in the league!
Dean

Villa Park, IL

#6 Dec 28, 2008
Sure the defense needs work but the offense just plain sucks. Muhsin was right when he said Chicago is where wide receivers go to die. Orton is a good second string QB.Start there but be smart like we have never been in the draft. Face it. The O-line is pretty good. The D-line is pretty good. The secondary blows and we need another good linebacker to cover up the deficiencies of the most overrated but not going anywhere because we desperatly need a Chicago icon, Brian Urlacher! He hasn't impressed since the days of Trailor or that other mountain of a man whose name escapes me now.
Bruno

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Dec 28, 2008
I lined up my Superbowl tickets before the Bears game and am thrilled that they're out of the playoffs.The Bears put the M in a regular season full of mediocre teams.The best team won their division and the Bears are siting at home.Someone please tell me why every player that leaves this team,under the present coaching staff,goes to another team and excels?(Berrian,Gage,Benson just to name a few)Instead we resign Marty Booker.I've watched every minute of every game and must conclude that the entire coaching staff must go.If you want to really resurrect this franchise go get Bill Cowher.The Bears play like a team that thinks it's better than it really is but instead is just impersonating a good team rather than the sub-500 team that it is.So long Lovie and friends.
BigWay

San Diego, CA

#8 Dec 28, 2008
Maybe we should trade Urlacher for Bernard Berrian
Vince

Fort Wayne, IN

#9 Dec 28, 2008
Yes, the Bears defense needs revamping, but one thing that can be done immediately is to fire Lovie, Babich and Turner and hire Bill Cowher. Put him as head coach and I'll guarentee you they'll make the play offs next season because he isn't afraid to kick some butts that need kicking.
Jay in Des Moines

Des Moines, IA

#10 Dec 28, 2008
Just fire Lovie and Babich, try to get Ron Rivera for head coach and let him figure out the rest.
Reg

Montebello, CA

#11 Dec 28, 2008
The obvious, glaring, hit you smack in the face and knock you over truth of this season is - Lovie Smith will NEVER lead this team to a Super Bowl. With a tone deaf management we can expect to have this discussion in two years when he is still coach. I say fire him in the off-season and hire Ron Rivera. Anyone paying attention to what he's done with their defense second half of the season??
Fuego

United States

#13 Dec 28, 2008
How about you get rid of Mr. Hot Garbage himself, Bob Babich? That guy is completely worthless in all aspects of life.
Chuck D of Valpo

Valparaiso, IN

#14 Dec 28, 2008
I don't know what players they need to cut or sign for next season but I do know this. It's about time to forget about grass and install the vastly improved artificial turf. Might help reduce injuries to the players. As long as they sign the next Butkas, Halas, Sayers, Payton, Singletary, Dent, and Ditka, the Bears will be ok next season.
Bleed Cubbie blue

United States

#15 Dec 28, 2008
"When you're 9-7, you're close," Smith said. "You don't need an overhaul. You just need to add a few pieces to the puzzle."

Bull ****! This offense ****ing sucks! How sad is it when the majority of your run offense comes from a ROOKIE RB! I love Forte, but that fact depresses me every time I think about it.

The coaching also sucks. Turner is unbearably unimaginative, Babich is a spineless wimp, and Lovie is too rigid to change his ways. Not to mention the fact that he's out of his mind! How can he say that all we need is a "few pieces?" We have to practically rebuild an entire offense! Our secondary needs to be reinforced, our face of the franchise LB is getting older and slower, etc, etc, etc. Those areas need more than just a "few pieces." But of course, we can't do much with Moe, Larry, and Curly running this team.
Pete

Chicago, IL

#16 Dec 28, 2008
Until Angelo and Turner are gone, nothing else matters. Those two alone will keep the Bears from getting anywhere in the playoffs ever.
Pete

Chicago, IL

#17 Dec 28, 2008
Thank God the Grossman defenders are gone. Hopefully nobody still wants to see him play for the Bears again at this point.
red mosquito

Roselle, IL

#18 Dec 28, 2008
The Bears problems are so many, it will be impossible to address everything in one offseason. For the people saying we have the right personnel on defense, just bad coaching (Babich), you are blind. I agree Babich stinks, however, our core guys are past their usefulness. So in no particuliar order what do we need:

1. A defensive overhaul
2. A defensive coordinator
3. A whole new set of WR's
4. A few o-line guys to give us depth.
5. A journeyman NFL QB to push Orton and Hanie
6. A better backup RB than Peterson.
7. Lovie to actually "see" what this team looks like, and how it has fallen.

The chances of any of this being addressed are slim. In one year we will be hearing Lovie rationalize an 8-8 campaign.....
Luke

Park Ridge, IL

#19 Dec 28, 2008
Dean wrote:
Sure the defense needs work but the offense just plain sucks. Muhsin was right when he said Chicago is where wide receivers go to die. Orton is a good second string QB.Start there but be smart like we have never been in the draft. Face it. The O-line is pretty good. The D-line is pretty good. The secondary blows and we need another good linebacker to cover up the deficiencies of the most overrated but not going anywhere because we desperatly need a Chicago icon, Brian Urlacher! He hasn't impressed since the days of Trailor or that other mountain of a man whose name escapes me now.
Wuh ?

Our O-line is way too old they were a problem from day one .Did they play better ? Yes but they didnt dominate they benefited from Kyle and the 3 step drops. how many times did we see a QB get sacked this year in max protection .

The offense was fine before Kyles injury but we need to get more weapons on the outside to open up things for TE's and Forte in the middle of the field

The defense gave up over 400 yards today and far too many times couldnt seal the deal. This entire team is built upon defense and special teams .It operates under the assumption that if you hand the defense a lead and it will hold it. We now have at least 4 games this season in which the Bears defense have had a lead that it couldnt hold. Either through a dumb penalty , a blown coverage , the QB passing for a ridiculous number of times without any pressure or the back breaks a big run .It couldnt get off the field on 3rd down and that was ultimately our undoing moreso than any thing else and its been that way since last season.
WrecksAlwaysSux

King Of Prussia, PA

#20 Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, I'm a "racist" because I think McNabb is a loser that'll never win the big games in the NFL, and the object of your fetish--the Mental Midget--can't even hold McNabb's jock strap.
Gross Rexman wrote:
Haugh, you are a horrible journalist. I can't believe you get paid for this drivel. Your logic is as flawed as the negative ramblings spouted off by the racist **** WrecksAlwaysSux.
Anyway, Haugh, we're all still waiting for you to acknowledge the 100% wrong logic in your piece entitled "Bears Hold Mental Edge Over Vikes." That article made Rosenbloom's wavering pieces look scholarly.
RegularGuy

Bellwood, IL

#21 Dec 28, 2008
A new defensive coordinator would be great, and so would a Pro-Bowl quality wide receiver.

It would be the thrill of a lifetime to have a Bear wide receiver go to the Pro Bowl - at least once in this century.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danieal Manning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Houston aims to be NFL's top defense (Nov '12) Nov '12 JJ Fartt 1
News Grading the Chicago BearsSpecial Teams (Mar '11) Mar '11 flaca 1
News Bears GM says Smith in for extension (Jan '11) Jan '11 saberblade 1
News Packers-Bears: 'Caveman football' for new century (Jan '11) Jan '11 TUBB29 11
News Vikings close to signing Mike Singletary as lin... (Jan '11) Jan '11 bakerquaker 41
More from around the web