Green watch: GM Mueller waiting for C...

Green watch: GM Mueller waiting for Chiefs to blink

There are 54 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Apr 29, 2007, titled Green watch: GM Mueller waiting for Chiefs to blink. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

DAVIE Although the Dolphins added six second-day draft picks to their roster Sunday, the bigger news concerned the player who still isn't headed to South Florida as was expected.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dolfan61

Defuniak Springs, FL

#1 Apr 30, 2007
We addressed a lot of position needs in the draft. I think Cam and Randy did a good job there. The big question is, did we draft the right personnel for our needs. Only time and games won or lost will tell. Goog job so far. Miami fan until the end.........
Rob

Ciudad De Panamá, Panama

#2 Apr 30, 2007
Do you think Beck is better than Quinn?
Does an injured Ginn Jr. worth the 9th pick over all?
Does anyone told Mueller and Cam Fins have big quetions at QB?
Well let's see how this guy Beck can play at this level; maybe we're all wrong and they know something about Quinn we don't, or they've seen something in Ginn Jr that makes him more valuable than Quinn.
Laser

Hialeah, FL

#3 Apr 30, 2007
While I would have given a 6th or 7th round pick this year for 37 year old quarterback Trent Green, I would not give up a pick from next years draft. This year we had extra picks. I would now let Kansas City keep him as their starter or release him.
phins fan 44

Jacksonville, FL

#4 Apr 30, 2007
The fact that Quinn fell to #22 tells me that many coauches saw similar things in Quinn, so I'll take Beck. He's a big, has a strong arm and ran an agressive passing offense. Cam is known for developing QBs so I say that we let this one play out. Ginn's injury was minor and he has the speed and agility to be a play maker which we sorely need. The other picks fill needs but let's face it, time is the only way to know. I like how Cam and Mueller have worked together. In the past regimes, we would have caved by now on Green and given up too much. Their patience will pay off. Frankly, I think the Phins will surprise a lot of people this year.
footglove

United States

#5 Apr 30, 2007
Good job, Just wish someone would have taken Quinn before we picked. I think the best pick might turn out to be the monster center they picked from across the pond.
huascar

Orlando, FL

#6 Apr 30, 2007
OK I KNOW WE WANT GREEN BUT I DONT HE IS OLD WE ARE AT THE SAME PLACE WITH HIM AS DUANTE SO YEA AND THE DRAFT IS THE MOST DISAPOINTING TIME OF THE YEAR IM STARTING TO KNOW WHAT THE JETS FEEL LIKE EVERY SEASON HOW COULD WE PASS ON BRADY QUINN HOW?
Tony Brown

United States

#7 Apr 30, 2007
If Beck doesn't turn out to be the QB that Mueller and Cam believe he will be...see you guys later!both will be looking for new jobs..because the fans will not put up with more mistakes that Miami seems to keep doing over the past 5 years! Why do we keep getting injuried players like Ginn? And this guy would of been available in the early second round according to most sports people that know about talent available in this draft. Why didn't miami move up and try to get the OT that Cleveland got? Miami needs Offensive linemen and this guy from Wisconsin only comes around every few years. Miami got maybe offensive linemen in the draft..and again the fans just love all the picks Miami seems to get in the 6th and 7th rounds..oh boy what quality players.....NOT! Fans are not stupid and this team did another C type draft picks...some may say they even got a D for their picks!
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#8 Apr 30, 2007
In case you were wondering what is really going on with Green...

Green still a Chief
Peterson won’t release quarterback, but agent says his client will not play in Kansas City.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
The door might be open for veteran quarterback Trent Green to return to the Chiefs, but he doesn’t intend to use it.

After the Chiefs failed to trade Green to the Miami Dolphins during the weekend draft, agent Jim Steiner said Green wasn’t interested in playing for the Chiefs.

“Trent’s not going to be returning,” Steiner said.“They’ve said Brodie Croyle is going to be the No. 1 or No. 2 quarterback. They brought back Damon Huard. They’ve told Trent they want to get younger. So the Chiefs determined that, not Trent. That’s not going to happen. It’s grossly unfair of the Chiefs to keep Trent on their roster.”

President/general manager Carl Peterson continued to insist Green would be welcome to play for the Chiefs next season. He at one point even referred to Green as the starter, though he later deferred on the matter to coach Herm Edwards.

Edwards has said Croyle will be given every opportunity to win the starting job.

Green, who previously indicated a desire to be traded to Miami, has considerable leverage in the matter. His scheduled salary of $7.2 million cannot be unilaterally reduced by the Chiefs.

By refusing to take a pay cut, he can put considerable pressure on the Chiefs and their salary cap. Counting his salary and various bonuses, Green costs the Chiefs more than $9.1 million against their cap.

That number would be greatly reduced if he is traded or released. But Peterson said the Chiefs could carry Green’s cap number through the end of the season and implied the Chiefs would not release Green, a move that would allow him to sign with Miami.

“I’ve said it before: He’s far too valuable to this organization … to simply say goodbye to him in that fashion,” Peterson said.“He’s under contract to the Kansas City Chiefs. We’ve never said from the beginning that he’s not here to compete for the starting job.

“I’m not going to make any predictions. I’m simply going to say again that he’s under contract.”

The teams could still make a deal involving future draft picks or players. They narrowed their once considerable differences down to a couple of rounds, Miami offering a sixth-round pick and the Chiefs asking for a fourth. Steiner said at one point Sunday that he was optimistic about a trade being completed.

But it didn’t happen, and Green remained with the Chiefs.

“It didn’t work out,” Peterson said.“Sometimes trades don’t work out. We have a saying in this business: Sometimes the best trade you make is the one that doesn’t happen.”
robert-ft lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Apr 30, 2007
It's too early to predict this draft class, maybe we could have done better by trading down and pick up a few picks and still get ginn or quinn, but there no takers evidentally. Beck seems like a safe pick. Let's hope Culpepper is healthy and in form and Beck can carry a clipboard for a year or two. With Ricky coming back and Ginn being a gamebreaker Porter and new blood in the mix, now it's all on the coaches to get all together. NO MORE EXCUSES! Why waste a pic on a punter?
Larry

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Apr 30, 2007
I think you have to assume that after Shea worked with Quinn for three weeks, he got some idea of Brady's projected upside. I was initially as upset as every Dolfan, but after reflection it seems the Dolphins weren't the only ones who thought that Quinn was overpriced at #9. Remember, Cameron has been given credit for the development of both Drew Brees and Philip Rivers in San Diego. He must know a little about QB's. As far as the rest of their draft, it seems the Dolphins addressed their positional needs pretty well. Time will tell if they got the right players or not.
John

United States

#11 Apr 30, 2007
Why no DB??
andrew

Miami, FL

#12 Apr 30, 2007
KC is toying with us. Show interest in another QB, and watch how quick they make an offer. How about Jeff Garcia? Isnt he lost in a QB battle in Tampa Bay? Offer the Buccs a 2008 draft pick for Jeff Garcia, and watch how quick Herm Edwards drops to his knees begging us to work something out for Trent.

Theres gotta be another semi-veteran out there we can go after. Preferably one WITHOUT a scrambled brain!!!!
XXx

Vero Beach, FL

#13 Apr 30, 2007
I watched Wann-stache let Drew Brees go unpicked. Now we watch the new guy let Quinn go unpicked. Both were still on the board. Same-old, same-old. We go a lot of picks, though. To bad most of them won't even make the team.
dolfan

Boca Raton, FL

#14 Apr 30, 2007
Can anybody answer 1 question....Why do we need Trent Green.Please somebody answerthe question.
bubba kartoffel

AOL

#15 Apr 30, 2007
I'm constantly amazed this time of year. Everyone thinks he is a draft genious. The fact is that there are very few sure things in a draft.

Mueller has been evaluating players for 25 years. Cameron has been involved with evaluating and coaching QBs for years. BOTH Cam and Mueller are former QBs. Does this ensure that their judgement vis-a-vis Quinn and Beck will prove correct? No, but I'd rather trust their judgement than the twelve year old kid down the block who can't even spell quarterback, much less evaluate one.

In regards to trading up or down - IT TAKES A TRADING PARTNER! You cannot trade up for your pick and a box of Fruit Loops. It was suggested we trade up for the terrific OT Thomas. O.K. we'd at MINIMUM have given up our #9,#40, and #60 picks. That's trading Ginn, Beck, and Satele for Thomas. Think about it.

Now, as to trading down - NO ONE STEPPED UP with anything more than trading places and throwing in a used iPod. You CANNOT FORCE someone to give you picks.

So, having thought ahead (unlike many of the 'experts' who are criticizing Dolphin brass) and realizing the QB they liked more than Quinn would fall to them in the 2nd round, CaMue take a GAME BREAKER, Ginn. If you think they're stupid, take a look at this:

http://youtube.com/watch...

A pick wasted for a punter? It may seem like NFL punters fall off trees like Florida avocados. They don't. This P comes with the pick that the Rams gave us for Donnie Jones at half the salary. Check this kid out - he can punt.

Now, as to Green - We can definitely use him. He is a Pro Bowl QB. If we get him without giving up ANY picks, he is a steal. Every team needs a tutor for rookies, a back-up with real veteran skills, an interim starter, and Trent is all those things. If Peterson wants to keep and pay Green just to spite the 'Fins for not offering him a higher pick, well....Daunte better heal up or we'll be looking elsewhere for the veteran. My guess is that Green becomes a Dolphin whether anyone likes it or not.
andrew

Miami, FL

#16 Apr 30, 2007
I cant believe Cammy Cam is allowing those SQUIRTS over in KC (who cant win with that fantastic o-line theyve had for years) treat us like this. Grow some testicles Cammy Cam!

Fact of the matter is that we need our 'guy''qb' to start getting ready for the season ASAP. When is the Trent Green thing gonna happen??? A week before preseason??

SOLVE THE PROBLEM. Get a qb in here already. If KC wants to fiddle around with their penises while we wait patiently for them to do something, then we should tell them to shove Trent Green up their butts. I cant stand this. How can we let another organization keep us frozen like this? It is not only unfair what KC is doing, it is poor sportsmanship. Cheap. Petty.

We are flattering KC by waiting for them to decide what they are going to do, when we should already have our QB of 2007 here, in Miami, getting ready for the season. Its like Cammy Cam WANTS to make things harder on the Phins.

You know what they are going to say every sunday if we keep wasting time like this? "Miami QB only had a month to learn the playbook...Miami QB still getting acquainted with the playbook...Miami QB still trying to develop chemistry with the WRs...Miami QB still learning the system..."

SOLVE THE PROBLEM. Get someone down here already, practicing, preparing for 2007 season.
phinsfan99

New Paltz, NY

#17 Apr 30, 2007
CAM AND RANDY KNOW MORE THAN US!
Clearly Quinn was not such an amazing QB if he slipped so far. The coaches around the league had a chance to meet with any QBs and it seems that Quinn was missing that something extra. I'm going crazy trying to talk over all the hype that Quinn had. I have much, much, much more confidence in this coaching staff than I've had in a long time with this organization. GIVE THEM A CHANCE! As much as we think we know, THEY KNOW MORE!
flh

Little Rock, AR

#18 Apr 30, 2007
in 5 years, Quinn will be a solid NFL starter and Ginn will be out of the NFL....and Dumb and Dumber will be unemployed. Wake me up when they are fired.
bubba kartoffel

AOL

#19 Apr 30, 2007
XXx wrote:
I watched Wann-stache let Drew Brees go unpicked. Now we watch the new guy let Quinn go unpicked. Both were still on the board. Same-old, same-old. We go a lot of picks, though. To bad most of them won't even make the team.
The difference, of course, is that Wannie drafted JAMAR FLETCHER who wasn't good enought to start, even after a couple of years. AND he didn't draft another QB. We got what I think is a great, daring, exciting pick in Ginn AND we got a QB who looks pretty good on paper.
bubba kartoffel

AOL

#20 Apr 30, 2007
John wrote:
Why no DB??
Ginn WANTS to play both ways. He is a converted DB.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Damon Huard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Dolphins Patrick Surtain, Damon Huard cu... (Feb '09) Jun '10 Dolpharts 29
News Kawakami: 49ers have QB quandary (Aug '09) Aug '09 Bud Long 1
News Orton throws 3 interceptions in Denver debut as... (Aug '09) Aug '09 leo from cornelia 7
News History of Kansas City Chiefs QBs (May '09) May '09 SamE Boy 2
News Patriots trade Cassel (Mar '09) Mar '09 Pearyb 10
News Chiefsa Albert insists hea s just a victim of f... (Oct '08) Nov '08 He knows 2
News NFL Notes: Gonzalez sets TE record (Oct '08) Oct '08 Jayvon223KC 1
More from around the web