Dolphins' rookie Beck gets first look; Culpepper nears returnhr...

May 4, 2007 Read more: South Florida Sun-Sentinel 142
While Dolphins rookie quarterback John Beck struggled with the mental side of reading professional defenses on a difficult first day, sidelined quarterback Daunte Culpepper continued to deal with his physical ... Read more
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
jon

Jacksonville, FL

#1 May 4, 2007
I say keep culp and see how he does, get green and let the two of them fight for a starting job. let beck sit back and learn. with cleo in 3rd. it would be a waste to go this far without seeing if culp can still do it at a high level.

“sorry we're out of cheese”

Since: Feb 07

jacksonville beach, FL

#3 May 5, 2007
jon wrote:
I say keep culp and see how he does, get green and let the two of them fight for a starting job. let beck sit back and learn. with cleo in 3rd. it would be a waste to go this far without seeing if culp can still do it at a high level.
i agree - they need to hang onto culpepper this year and see if he can still perform like the elite QB he is claiming to be. if the o.line doesnt allow him to get sacked every other play i think he'll prove he can still play. it looks like hes finally realizing he is expendible and needs to prove he isnt the chump everyone thinks he is. either way, its a very important year for him cause this year is gonna make him or break him once again
Pats suck

Freeport, NY

#4 May 5, 2007
Pats suck!

“Beyond all comprehension”

Since: Dec 06

The Moon

#5 May 5, 2007
returnhrown? Is this a new word?

I am interested to see if the Dolphins can put together an O-line. I'm tired of the seive.
Old School

Homestead, FL

#6 May 5, 2007
Our #1 draft pick couldn't practice because of an injured foot? Thats just great! Him and Nopepper can trade off on the stationary bike this season.

Since: Apr 07

Washington DC

#7 May 5, 2007
I guess you were sleeping during class, Old School.Ted Ginn (Junior) injured his foot due to celebrating in the endzone after a touchdown in a championship game in January.

True, he was celebrating after he took the opening kickoff for a 93-yard touchdown.........however..... an injury due to Celebration????

The bare facts: some teams (also known as teams that win games) use their draft picks on choice items like 6 foot six, 260-lb **Quarterbacks**

We (that is, if you can still consider yourself a Dolphins' fan) choose a speedin 178-lb 5 foot 10 o so dude.........with the NUMBER NINE pick of the ENTIRE 2007 DRAFT

Of course it makes since. Mr Mueller and Mr (what is the coach's name again?), well..Mr C...said it does

Politically incorrect memory: remember how Howard Cossell got canned after his "look at that monkey go" remark? LOL

I really deplore that kind of insensitive language.
HZL

United States

#8 May 5, 2007
RE
With Culpepper still sidelined, the current trio of healthy Dolphins quarterbacks -- Beck, Gibran Hamdan and Cleo Lemon -- have one NFL start between them.

Shouldn't that be AMONG them?
Big Jim

AOL

#9 May 5, 2007
That Carl Peterson is a jerk. I really hope Daunte can get 100%, I would love to see what he can do for us when healthy.
Big Jim

AOL

#10 May 5, 2007
Jimmy Vanilla Cefalo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you got it all figured out. It is all so simple and elementary. Are you sure you do not want a job with me at Channel 10 where we are looking for the kind of commentary that you are offering right here. It seems that a lot of viewers think I put too much creamy vanilla over everything.
The way you present it, it is all clear, keep this guy, and that other guy, give this guy the book of Mormon and put him on the back to learn, then get Ted Limp, I mean Limp, and let him learn from perennial All Pro Chambers who was outplayed by Welker who is in New England battling Moss and Stalworth and then.... then....
Are you sure you are not a scout that Slick Saban left behind. Those 4 QB's that you want Huizenga to payroll, do you think you might keep the peace with 4 QB's, 2 of them are past their prime, concussed and injured, throwing to Booker, and Chambers and Ted Gimp.
You must know that this is all a crap shoot right that even these geniuses that come in here one after another have managed to screw up everything further and that this Chamaleon Cameron is using the oldest second trick in the book (first one you know is women who get paid to hide the salami) of throwing everyone out, pretending that everything left behind is trash, getting his own players who he really does not know and then throw the old crap shoot and see how it comes out.
The Dolphins play in the toughest division and you can bet that because there is so much poison in the air and distrust from the draft and the idea that there is NO CLEAR QB that will take over, this is an organization in turmoil for at least 3 or 4 more years because they will still have to go to Pats and the Jets and Buffalo, all teams with established working front offices who have a better hold of things.
There is also the specter of Wayne Huizenga that someone that man, he is cursed by a voodoo of sports. Look what has happened to all teams that he touches. He might be a good guy to work for and all that but a guy that hands over his flagship teams to a bunch of flunkies and burnouts from Jimmy to Wannstedt to Spielman to Lunatic Saban.
Look at what he did when he tried to make Marino the GM and boss over Wannstedt and Spielman because he could not bring himself to kick Wannstedt's calabaza out of town. Then he let Saban rant and rave and embarrass the organization by treating the media and everyone around there like coonass porkers and Wayne just sat back and gave his pineapple grin not being able to realize that leadership and public relations and proper courtesy to others is a must in this town and any big town.
It proves the ferocity of the fact that if you own something you do not hand it over to bad leaders and bad organization people because it is not that you can not fire them but always by the time that you realize the trouble, it takes years and years to repair the damage. Look at this organization how long it has been floating in a raft out there like an illegal alien in the middle fo the NFL legitimate organized organizations.
Caramba...muchacho. I am Jimmy Vanilla Cefalo and not even I, the creamiest blandest and sorry coonass guys in the world of sports reporting can put Vanilla over this one.
OVER AND OUT!
Hmmm, Wayne won a World Series with the Marlins, I hope he gives the Dolphins some of that same voodoo, idiot.
Big Jim

AOL

#11 May 5, 2007
Darian V wrote:
I guess you were sleeping during class, Old School.Ted Ginn (Junior) injured his foot due to celebrating in the endzone after a touchdown in a championship game in January.
True, he was celebrating after he took the opening kickoff for a 93-yard touchdown.........however..... an injury due to Celebration????
The bare facts: some teams (also known as teams that win games) use their draft picks on choice items like 6 foot six, 260-lb **Quarterbacks**
We (that is, if you can still consider yourself a Dolphins' fan) choose a speedin 178-lb 5 foot 10 o so dude.........with the NUMBER NINE pick of the ENTIRE 2007 DRAFT
Of course it makes since. Mr Mueller and Mr (what is the coach's name again?), well..Mr C...said it does
Politically incorrect memory: remember how Howard Cossell got canned after his "look at that monkey go" remark? LOL
I really deplore that kind of insensitive language.
To paraphrase Al Campanis.. " I don't think you have the necessary faculties" to post an intelligent comment Darian, stick to your coloring books.
john

Hollywood, FL

#12 May 5, 2007
Big Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm, Wayne won a World Series with the Marlins, I hope he gives the Dolphins some of that same voodoo, idiot.
Hmm, Wayne bought that World Series team, and when he found out he couldn't make any money he sold it. Football has different rules concerning salaries and playing on level playing fields by requiring teams to play within a given salary cap. I don't think he will ever sell it because he stole it from the Robbies for nothing. He may be the nicest to work for according to all reports, but he isn't one of the brightest getting personel, of which he admitted after the satan incident.This franchise has not flourished since his ownership and has become one of the most unstable franchises in the league.
Bobby

Arlington, TX

#13 May 5, 2007
The o-line is more important that who the QB is going to be. Without a solid line it wouldn't matter if Payton Manning was the Phins QB. Lemon could do a good job with a decent o-line and Ronnie and Ricky.
Bobby

Arlington, TX

#14 May 5, 2007
The o-line is more important than who the QB is going to be. Lemon would be ok with a decent line and Ronnie and Ricky. Payton Manning would have struggled behind the Phins line from last year.
Stephen

AOL

#15 May 5, 2007
Old School wrote:
Our #1 draft pick couldn't practice because of an injured foot? Thats just great! Him and Nopepper can trade off on the stationary bike this season.
I guess it has to be said again, since the Sentinel keeps leaving this out of its articles....Ginn couldn't be here if he was 100 %. Ohio State still has classes going on, and NCAA rules prohibit a player enrolled in a school still in session to participate in these minicamps. Sentinel Writers, you need to say this loud and clear so that ignorant posts such as the one I'm replying to don't even get posted.
Phanatical

United States

#16 May 5, 2007
Culpepper says: "When I'm healthy, I'm an elite quarterback in this league".

I guess he's never been healthy because he's only had one winning season in 7 years, his winning percentage is only 48%, and he's had 81 fumbles, 249 sacks, and 85 INT's in only 84 games. That's not elite by any measure.
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#17 May 5, 2007
81 F U M B L E S
85 I N T E R C E P T I O N S
249 S A C K S

85 G A M E S P L A Y E D

4 7 % W I N N I N G P E R C E N T A G E

2 W I N N I N G S E A S O N S I N
7 Y E A R S

2 0 0 4 R E C O R D 8 - 8

C
U
L
F
U
M
B
L
E
R
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#18 May 5, 2007
2001 season

Culpepper struggled over the next two seasons beginning in 2001 throwing 14 touchdowns to 13 interceptions. 16 fumbles, 33 sacks. The Vikings finished the season 5-11

2002 season

Culpepper continued to struggle in 2002, throwing 18 touchdowns to 23 interceptions and leading the Vikings to a 6-10 record. 21 fumbles, 33 sacks.

2003 season

25 TD's, 11 INT's, 15 fumbles, 37 sacks. record 9-7

2004 season

39 TD's, 11 INT's, 9 fumbles, 46 sacks. Record: 8-8

2005 season

6 TD's, 12 INT's, 5 fumbles, 33 sacks. Record 2-5. Record after the injury 9-7

2006 season

2 TD's, 3 INT's, 3 fumbles 21 sacks. Record against the worst 1-3.

2005 season

His first two games of the 2005 season were disappointments, as the Vikings went 0-2 while Culpepper threw no touchdown passes, eight interceptions, and fumbled twice. Culpepper rebounded in the third week, throwing for 300 yards and three touchdowns while beating the New Orleans Saints. In 2005 he had six touchdowns, twelve interceptions, and five fumbles before getting injured in the seventh game (only winning two games). On October 30, he suffered a knee injury during a 38-13 loss to the Carolina Panthers. Culpepper sustained damage to three of the four major ligaments in the knee: the ACL, PCL and MCL. He was placed on injured reserve and began rehabilitation treatment near his home in Florida. Backup Brad Johnson took over in the Carolina game and after losing that one, they won the next six straight games and the team ended up with a 9-7 record. Daunte's final career won-loss record as a starter for the Vikings was 37-40 (48.1% winning percentage).
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#19 May 5, 2007
Guess what.

Every team that Daunte plays on has a bad offensive line!

How else can you explain all those sacks?

It must be the line his last 7 years. It can't be Daunte.

Nevermind the fact that his s l o w decision making cost us 21 sacks in 4 games against the leagues worst, while Harrington came in against 4 better opponents and only had 5 sacks.

It's the line!
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#20 May 5, 2007
Phanatical wrote: He only led them to one winning season. In 2003, he was 7-7 as the starter.

I stand corrected. Thank you Phan!!

81 F U M B L E S
85 I N T E R C E P T I O N S
249 S A C K S

G A M E S
P L A Y E D

4 7 %
W I N N I N G
P E R C E N T A G E

1 W I N N I N G
S E A S O N S
I N
7 Y E A R S

2 0 0 4 R E C O R D 8 - 8

C
U
L
F
U
M
B
L
E
R
Ramsterone

Lake Alfred, FL

#21 May 5, 2007
Duh'ta Fumblepepper just wants to get paid his 5.5 million.If he's cut no one will pick him up for that and he knows it.He might get paid 1 million by another team after we cut him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Damon Huard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Dolphins Patrick Surtain, Damon Huard cu... (Feb '09) Jun '10 Dolpharts 29
News Kawakami: 49ers have QB quandary (Aug '09) Aug '09 Bud Long 1
News Orton throws 3 interceptions in Denver debut as... (Aug '09) Aug '09 leo from cornelia 7
News History of Kansas City Chiefs QBs (May '09) May '09 SamE Boy 2
News Patriots trade Cassel (Mar '09) Mar '09 Pearyb 10
News Chiefsa Albert insists hea s just a victim of f... (Oct '08) Nov '08 He knows 2
News NFL Notes: Gonzalez sets TE record (Oct '08) Oct '08 Jayvon223KC 1
More from around the web