Browns check with Chiefs about Trent ...

Browns check with Chiefs about Trent Green

There are 22 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Mar 30, 2007, titled Browns check with Chiefs about Trent Green. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The Cleveland Browns seem to be beating the bushes for a veteran quarterback after all.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Elizabeth

Cleveland, OH

#1 Mar 30, 2007
I honestly think its irresponsible for the Browns to talk to Green, considering (a) the non-existent offensive line and (b) his history of head injuries. He signs here, he's risking his life. How many quarterbacks have we ruined?
Carl

Columbia, SC

#2 Mar 30, 2007
Trent Green won't get the Browns any closer to the Super Bowl. He is an average quarterback at best. I honestly think going with Charlie or Darrick would bring about the same results as Green being here.
MDW

Brunswick, OH

#3 Mar 30, 2007
Why? Why why why why why why? We do not NEED a new QB! Frye and Anderson are capable. Maybe not superstars, but if we put them in front of a line that can give them at least SOME protection, they'll deliver.

We are not going to be a playoff candidate next year, and people need to settle themselves with that fact. You can't undo the damage to this organization with a few trades. But if the front office makes smart picks, we can at least hope for a winning record and improve things from there.

I swear, this foolishness is enough to turn a guy on to the Bengals.
barry bonds

Cleveland, OH

#4 Mar 30, 2007
says a lot about charlie redneck frye that they're considering bringing in a washed up banged up guy coming off a career threatening concussion.
tdogg

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Mar 30, 2007
I totally agree with you both, Green is past his prime and a gamble not worth taking. At this point I'd take Frye over him any day of the week. Green isn't very mobile and our line is not where it needs to be, the man would last all of 5 games if we sign him. Let's get behind the QB's we've got and take care of the other countless issues.
Ray

Newark, OH

#6 Mar 30, 2007
Green would not be a bad idea, as a stop-gap option for a few years, if not for his prohibitive salary. It is NEVER a bad idea to go into a season with a veteran quarterback as an option, but Trent would cost too much
rif

Westlake, OH

#7 Mar 30, 2007
hopefully this is a smoke screen to help them trade down in the draft.
Buck Stops

Tulsa, OK

#10 Mar 30, 2007
They want Green because they're thinking of taking a QB with the third pick. They want a veteran to mentor their pick.
Josh

New Philadelphia, OH

#11 Mar 30, 2007
our last "stop gap" was jeff garcia...no thanks
Jason

Elmhurst, IL

#12 Mar 30, 2007
Green would be a great addition to this team. One of the biggest problems we he have is the lack of a veteran QB on the sidelines or in the game. All the QB's we got have very little experience and no one to consult with during films or after coming off the field. This is exactly what the Browns need the only alternative to me would be to bring in a former QB to coach these guys...which they don't currently have.
barry bonds

Cleveland, OH

#13 Mar 30, 2007
mdw... are you clinically mentally retarded? Frye and Anderson are not capable. Frye has a girly arm, milks cows, knows more about nascar than NFL quarterbacking, and loves to chuck the ball up for grabs in the end zone. Anderson is a 6th round draft pick who, the last time we saw him, was tossing 5 interceptions against the tampa bay bucs. That's a scary duo. Perhaps Im insane, but it seems to me we need a quarterback.
Teddy

Lakewood, OH

#14 Mar 30, 2007
Green is a fine quarterback, but so was Trent Dilfer, so was Jeff Garcia. The quarterback MUST be able to work in harmony with the Offensive Coordinator though. Kosar was great because of Lindy Infante.

I agree with Elizabeth in that I don't know why a millionare with history of concussions would want to play behind our offensive line
Joe Case

Rapid City, SD

#15 Mar 30, 2007
Trade down for a couple of picks and use them to upgrade the offensive line. You have to fix the O line before you even think of anything else. This team has to be rebuilt from the ground up, and the offensive line is the foundation. Trent Green would obviously be an upgrade, but no QB will be effective without adequate protection.
browns fan

Colorado Springs, CO

#16 Mar 30, 2007
Hey Bernie, Wanna be our quartersbacks coach!
Trader Lane

United States

#18 Mar 30, 2007
I'd go for Bill Nelsen as the QB coach. He knew how to make something out of nothing for years, and nearly led the Browns to a playoff victory which would have stopped the Dolphins' undefeated season.

I do think Frye is the one. No doubt. He's very capable, given some decent linemen. The receivers are fine. The RB's are decent. Thomas would look great in the Browns' OL for the next 15 years! Other than him, Russell or Peterson. I'd even make a deal with Oakland, giving them Winslow and the 3rd pick for the rights to draft Russell. Makes sense to me. Send the immature gimp on his way; he'll never be the star he could have been without his idiocy on a motorcycle.
topfox

AOL

#19 Mar 30, 2007
I really dont think that Frye is the answer in Cleveland. We need a veteran QB to be there in case Frye cant measure up to the pressure. Its time to give the Browns a jump start and quit toying with their loyal fans and at least get what is needed to have a winning season. I am not talking super bowl, but a season where we can be proud of and especially if we can beat the Steelers for a change. Tired of looking at the bug gut colors of steelers fans in the Ohio Region. These fans route for Pittsburg because they have the feeling that at least they can be routing for a respectable team.
WAYNEDAWG

AOL

#20 Mar 30, 2007
I AGREE WITH BUCK STOPS.THEY ARE GOING TO GET TROY SMITH IN THE 3RD AND HAVE GREEN MENTOR THEM ALL. WE NEED O-LINE IN THE FIRST. PICK JOE THOMAS. GO BROWNS DIVISION CHAMPS 2007

MDW

Since: Mar 07

Akron, OH

#21 Mar 30, 2007
barry bonds wrote:
mdw... are you clinically mentally retarded? Frye and Anderson are not capable. Frye has a girly arm, milks cows, knows more about nascar than NFL quarterbacking, and loves to chuck the ball up for grabs in the end zone. Anderson is a 6th round draft pick who, the last time we saw him, was tossing 5 interceptions against the tampa bay bucs. That's a scary duo. Perhaps Im insane, but it seems to me we need a quarterback.
I promise you, whether it's Smith, Green, Anderson, or Kosar, any quarterback will look like crap in front of the o-line that Cleveland has. Give a guy more than 2 seconds' worth of protection and he doesn't always have to go for the short pass or scramble for a loss.
Bob S

United States

#22 Mar 30, 2007
Trader Lane wrote:
I'd go for Bill Nelsen as the QB coach. He knew how to make something out of nothing for years, and nearly led the Browns to a playoff victory which would have stopped the Dolphins' undefeated season.
Mike Phipps was the Browns' quarterback for the regular season and the playoffs, not Bill Nelson. It was Mike Phipps that really sucked and really screwed up the game against the Dolphins with five interceptions.

Bill Nelson??? If you're not old enough to remember, then at least buy a book.
Browns fan in DC

Arlington, VA

#23 Mar 30, 2007
If this comes to pass, I hope Green's long-term disability premiums are paid up. This would be a bad move as I believe he is signed for pretty high dollars and would take a draft pick or two to get. Hopefully, it is a smokescreen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Damon Huard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Dolphins Patrick Surtain, Damon Huard cu... (Feb '09) Jun '10 Dolpharts 29
News Kawakami: 49ers have QB quandary (Aug '09) Aug '09 Bud Long 1
News Orton throws 3 interceptions in Denver debut as... (Aug '09) Aug '09 leo from cornelia 7
News History of Kansas City Chiefs QBs (May '09) May '09 SamE Boy 2
News Patriots trade Cassel (Mar '09) Mar '09 Pearyb 10
News Chiefsa Albert insists hea s just a victim of f... (Oct '08) Nov '08 He knows 2
News NFL Notes: Gonzalez sets TE record (Oct '08) Oct '08 Jayvon223KC 1
More from around the web