USC finds points of interest in victory

USC finds points of interest in victory

There are 32 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Oct 24, 2009, titled USC finds points of interest in victory. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

USC's Damian Williams, center, scores on a 63-yard punt return in the fourth quarter of the Trojans' 42-36 victory over Oregon State on Saturday at the Coliseum.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Spike

Wolf Point, MT

#1 Oct 25, 2009
#4 ranked USC? Oh really, ABC was referencing them as #7. Regardless, a top ten team giving up 36 points to OSU. Overrated. After next Saturday's game in Eugene, not only will they NOT be going to to any National Championship game, they can kiss the Pac10 championship goodbye as well. Poor trojans.
Trojan Fan

United States

#3 Oct 25, 2009
What has happened to the defense? For the last couple of games it starts out strong and falls apart in the second half. Also the offense needs to improve. Part of the problem is playing a true freshman as quarterback that is not very accurate half the time.
Beavfan83

San Marcos, CA

#4 Oct 25, 2009
Close game, Loving Carroll's love fest with Sean Canfield. Can you imagine the Trojans with a senior QB?

interesting point of view about penalties, home advantage on a number of USC fouls that wouldn't of been ignored on the road.

Next year in Orange Hell ... Corvallis we take you guys down. Thanks for the hospitality now go beat down the Ducks at Autzen.
WHAT iF

Van Nuys, CA

#5 Oct 25, 2009
what if they magically win Spike? I think the bigger issue is Three things... Teams other than USC worry about USC rather than their own teams..(Think UCLA). The Pac 10 never gets any respect. Three..The BCS is a joke
Allan

United States

#6 Oct 25, 2009
Spike wrote:
#4 ranked USC? Oh really, ABC was referencing them as #7. Regardless, a top ten team giving up 36 points to OSU. Overrated. After next Saturday's game in Eugene, not only will they NOT be going to to any National Championship game, they can kiss the Pac10 championship goodbye as well. Poor trojans.
Spike is the real loser here. The Trojans just keep winning, despite the proclamation from UCLA that this is no longer just a Trojan town. As for the polls, it is a bit confusing when the press isn't consistent in their reporting (AP vs BCS), but the fact remains they are in the top 10 anyway you cut it.
RESPIRATO

Long Beach, CA

#7 Oct 25, 2009
HA HA THE 42 POINTS IS WHAT DID IT....NOT THE DEFENSE !!! OREGON STATE IS A VERY GOOD TEAM AND THEY COULD WIN ALL OF THEIR REMAINING GAMES.....ON TRICK OR TREAT SC NEEDS TO KO MASOLI AND WATCH THE TIGHT END SCORE ANOTHER 42 AND THERE YOU ARE....
Spike

Wolf Point, MT

#8 Oct 25, 2009
WHAT iF wrote:
what if they magically win Spike? I think the bigger issue is Three things... Teams other than USC worry about USC rather than their own teams..(Think UCLA). The Pac 10 never gets any respect. Three..The BCS is a joke
What if, what if, what if, yep, spoken like a true Trojan Fan, what if they magically end up in the National Championship?!!? Might I suggest they replace their defense with the SC Girls Ruby team first. Then go back to your what ifffffs. HA HA HA
Spike

Wolf Point, MT

#9 Oct 25, 2009
Allan wrote:
<quoted text>Spike is the real loser here. The Trojans just keep winning, despite the proclamation from UCLA that this is no longer just a Trojan town. As for the polls, it is a bit confusing when the press isn't consistent in their reporting (AP vs BCS), but the fact remains they are in the top 10 anyway you cut it.
Spikes a looser huh, well you are big fat mean poo poo face! And after that care to share why they didn't come close to making the point spread, for a game against an unranked Pac10 team played at the Coliseum. Yep, gotta love your trojans, a top 10 team playing like #24, all the way to the National Championship!
Jack

Simi Valley, CA

#11 Oct 25, 2009
I find it amazing with the Pac-10 Supervisor of Officials at the game that these "officials" missed some clearly easy calls. The first one was the supposed offensive pass interference against OSU...no one was touched on that play...it even had the announcers scratching their heads. The second was phantom illegal blaco in the back on SC kickoff return team...watched the play numerous times..didn't see anything...even the official couldn't give us a number of who committed the penalty. Third...Rodgers gets his helmet ripped off in the endzone by Taylor Mays...again...no call. Both teams suffered from these calls and non-calls...which almost spoiled a really good game. I think the coaches, players, and fans of this conference deserve a much better effort than what we have seen from the officials the last four years.
Rich K

Tustin, CA

#12 Oct 25, 2009
The combination of a cover 2 pass coverage and the specific type of zone blitz made the short middle very soft and there's where OSU was making most of their damage. Whereas on offense the question still remains, why did they call passing plays in the late third and fourth quarters when Bradford was gaining so much on the ground?
Trojan Dan

Trabuco Canyon, CA

#13 Oct 25, 2009
I'll take the win! The #1 ranked team (Alabama) won 12 to 10 over a not so good, un-ranked Tennessee team, and if not for a missed field goal by Tennesse, Alabama would have lost.
USC should have run the ball more in the 4th quarter, to run the clock down, but we passed the ball too much and this allowed for a very long 4th quarter, which give OSU more time to have their good offense on the field.

One thing for sure, UCLA is no OSU!
Unreal

Blairsville, PA

#14 Oct 25, 2009
It's very obvious that the Pac-10 committe is doing everything it can to make sure that USC runs the table the rest of the season and has a chance to play for all the marbles, the greedy Pac-10 want$ the 16-million dollars and they don't care how obvious they make it seem to the rest of the country on national television.

The officiating was the worst I've ever seen, there were at least 5 obvious 15 yeard penalties that were not called on USC, but none worse than Taylor Mays litteraly riping the helmet off Rodgers' head and nearly ripping his nose off as well as knocking his teeth out, all while a ref is 5 feet from the incident - unreal.

Anyone that plays USC the rest of the season will have to do it inspite of the refes looking to aid the Trojans in every play, every which way they can. Shameful, just shameful.

“Fight On!”

Since: Aug 09

Los Angeles

#15 Oct 25, 2009
Unreal wrote:
It's very obvious that the Pac-10 committe is doing everything it can to make sure that USC runs the table the rest of the season and has a chance to play for all the marbles, the greedy Pac-10 want$ the 16-million dollars and they don't care how obvious they make it seem to the rest of the country on national television.
The officiating was the worst I've ever seen, there were at least 5 obvious 15 yeard penalties that were not called on USC, but none worse than Taylor Mays litteraly riping the helmet off Rodgers' head and nearly ripping his nose off as well as knocking his teeth out, all while a ref is 5 feet from the incident - unreal.
Anyone that plays USC the rest of the season will have to do it inspite of the refes looking to aid the Trojans in every play, every which way they can. Shameful, just shameful.
Funny, that's what I said about the Pac-10/Notre Dame officiating last weekend. We better keep our conspiracy theories straight.
WHAT iF

Van Nuys, CA

#16 Oct 25, 2009
hey spike whats your team? Oh let me guess Florida, no.. Texas, or is it Alabama?
Spike

Wolf Point, MT

#17 Oct 25, 2009
WHAT iF wrote:
hey spike whats your team? Oh let me guess Florida, no.. Texas, or is it Alabama?
Wrong, wrong and wrong.
Erickson and Stoops

Fullerton, CA

#19 Oct 25, 2009
Spikes team is the Corsairs of Santa Monica College. He brings them water and sweat towels during the time outs. During action, he's the coaches headset cable boy.. After the games he does the uniform laundry, cleans and shines the spikes...that's why the nick, Spike, polished the helmets, repaints the faceguards, disenfects the showers and finally "polishes all the knobs"...before killing the lights and calling someone responsible and trusty enough to hold the keys to lock the locker room.
Fight On

Unreal, the Trojans were the most penalized team in the Pac throughout the first half of the season. The Pac 10 refs did all they could to hand SC a loss under the shadows of Touchdown Jesus...
Your conspiracy theory is invalid.

Jack is right on..The Pac 10 zebras are possibly the most incompetant bunch of bozo's in the nation and an embarrassment to the NCAA.
Spike

Wolf Point, MT

#20 Oct 25, 2009
Erickson and Stoops wrote:
Spikes team is the Corsairs of Santa Monica College. He brings them water and sweat towels during the time outs. During action, he's the coaches headset cable boy.. After the games he does the uniform laundry, cleans and shines the spikes...that's why the nick, Spike, polished the helmets, repaints the faceguards, disenfects the showers and finally "polishes all the knobs"...before killing the lights and calling someone responsible and trusty enough to hold the keys to lock the locker room.
Fight On
Unreal, the Trojans were the most penalized team in the Pac throughout the first half of the season. The Pac 10 refs did all they could to hand SC a loss under the shadows of Touchdown Jesus...
Jack is right on..The Pac 10 zebras are possibly the most incompetant bunch of bozo's in the nation and an embarrassment to the NCAA.
Nice creative writing exercise, but nope, wrong, SM College is not my team either.

So your point is that SC would be playing better if they weren't getting so many penalties? Oh really. How about just play better, starting with having a defense that understand that giving 36 points against OSU neither puts the team at the top of the Pac10 nor a serious contender for a National Championship.
TJN fan

Anaheim, CA

#21 Oct 25, 2009
Spike wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice creative writing exercise, but nope, wrong, SM College is not my team either.
So your point is that SC would be playing better if they weren't getting so many penalties? Oh really. How about just play better, starting with having a defense that understand that giving 36 points against OSU neither puts the team at the top of the Pac10 nor a serious contender for a National Championship.
I think that is just funny, "How about just play better..." Wow you must be a coach with those pearls of wisdom. You can really bring out that deep thought. Do you really think the defense does not understand giving up 36 points is bad? No, I'm sure that you think the coaching staff is going to give every defensive player a golden star during the next team meeting. They might not even watch the film because they are soo satisfied.

USC lost a few games to this team in the last few meetings, so it was going to be a hard game because that the beavers coaching has a good set up for USC. That does not excuse the points, but it explains the trouble. Did you happen to watch any other game with top teams? Alabama was having crazy trouble ect.. Games in conference are hard games.
fred

Long Beach, CA

#22 Oct 25, 2009
Erickson and Stoops wrote:
Fight On
He doesn't clean the showers though. They don't work.
WHAT iF

Van Nuys, CA

#23 Oct 25, 2009
Maybe Spike is that laid off mascot from the Long Beach Ice Dogs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Damian Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Washington blasts Saints safety's 'dirty' play (Dec '11) Dec '11 Whistlegas 3
News Titans fall to Falcons 23-17 (Nov '11) Nov '11 Ravens 1
News USC freshman Woods catches spotlight (Oct '10) Oct '10 Chosen Traveler 1
News Dynasty remake? (Aug '10) Aug '10 Brew In 1
News College Football Countdown: No. 13 USC (Aug '10) Aug '10 Chosen Traveler 1
News USC's Matt Barkley named to Davey O'Brien Quart... (Jul '10) Aug '10 Chosen Traveler 199
News Team #14 - USC Trojans College Football Preview (Jul '10) Jul '10 Chosen Traveler 1
More from around the web