Levelheaded Ferentz welcomes challenge | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Even when Iowa's season looked charmed, Kirk Ferentz would not let himself get swept up in the euphoria.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
OSU73

Dalton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

Ferentz said,"So we're on the road. We're underdogs. We've got them right where we want them. That's the way I'm looking at it. So it's perfect."

Put this on the wall in the Buckeye locker room this week. I hope our team from the Penn State game shows up for an Iowa beatdown.
Reese

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

Iowa was over-rated to begin with... they are a solid team but they never deserved to be in the top ten rankings. The speed and the athletic ability at Ohio St will be too much for Iowa to overcome. It will be competitive the first quarter or so but, Iowa will buckle at the feet of the Ohio St defense. let Ferentz try to spin it the best he can. The game up North worries me more than this one.
Reese

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

Ferentz is cracking under pressure. Apparently, he is snapping at reporters regarding questions about practice this week. The main question that ticked him off was in regards to the back up QB handling snaps from the shot gun....Hawkeye fans should be very worried.
1- starting QB is out
2- upset last week by Northwestern (emotional drain)
3- no chance in playing for National title (emotional drain)
4- Back up QB is already stating he cannot mess up. Too much pressure, he will make a couple of big mistakes in this game.
5- Ohio St defense is on a roll.
6- Ohio St offense is gaining confidence after the win against Penn St.
7- Bucks can smell Roses and can once again re-set perceptions with a win in the Rose Bowl.
gmyers

Elk Park, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

I certainly hope that I am wrong, but I do not think that this game is goingto be the easy pushover the oddsmakers have it to be.
I had to laugh yesterday when at Tress's press conference the reporters were asking hime about watching the Rose Bowl with his father. You had better believe Woody would have thrown the podium at that reporter! We are not Big Ten co-champions yet, let alone outright champs! Lets talk about the Rose Bowl when we earn the right to participate, not now!

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
Balzar Riching

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

No way is this a done deal. Iowa could still win. Ferentz is a really good coach. Ohio State needs to prepare for this one like it's a tough final exam. This is all about maturity.
buckical

Fullerton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

The keys to this game, again, comes down to 3 primay things.
First...The performance of O-lines
Second...Turnovers
Third...Which OSU team shows up.
...If (big IF) our O.L. plays as well as last week...we're good
...If we prevent turnovers...again, like last week...we're good.
...If the Buckeyes we saw last week shows up...we're good.
Anyone of these 3 keys that "goes sour" can/will seriously alter the outcome.
BM Strange

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

Bottom line for the Bux, protect the ball on the offensive side of the equation, force Iowa into passing plays on typical run plays, create havoc on the defensive side of the ball....JT, please keep going deep w/ Small and Posey...its working, also, target Sanzenbacher on the 10-15 yrd routes its working, all this opens up a successful run game....
big D

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

I remember the last time a top 15 IOWA team was supposed to ruin the Buckeyes lives... 2006 in IOWA city... the Buckeyes rolled 38-17... and sent the Hawkeyes into a tailspin... losing 16 of their next 29 games... finally getting it back together at the end of 2008... expect a similar result this week... BUCKS ROLL...
Bucknaked

Lewis Center, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

How many points were the Bucks favored over Purdue? The entire panel on Buckeye Blitz refused to entertain the thought that OSU could lose. Iowa has a very good defense. In spite of the great win at Penn St. last week, the offense was average at best. The defense and special teams (Ray Small) put the team in a position to win. The (non) turnovers helped. This game could be another trap if not taken 100% seriously.

Fire Bollman and get a qualified QB coach!
big D

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

Bucknaked needs to put some clothes on.
Shane Falco played at OSU

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

Bucknaked wrote:
How many points were the Bucks favored over Purdue? The entire panel on Buckeye Blitz refused to entertain the thought that OSU could lose. Iowa has a very good defense. In spite of the great win at Penn St. last week, the offense was average at best. The defense and special teams (Ray Small) put the team in a position to win. The (non) turnovers helped. This game could be another trap if not taken 100% seriously.
Agree....seems the team/coaches are not looking ahead of this game vs Iowa as they obvsiously were vs Purdue. But it does seem as if everyone else (fans) is ready to book their Rose Bowl trips since Iowa has to start their 2nd string QB. Except the NW game, Iowa has found ways to win games. Can not count them out on this one either.
HolyBuckeyes

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

OSU73 wrote:
Ferentz said,"So we're on the road. We're underdogs. We've got them right where we want them. That's the way I'm looking at it. So it's perfect."
Put this on the wall in the Buckeye locker room this week. I hope our team from the Penn State game shows up for an Iowa beatdown.
If you know Freentz, you know he said this with tongue firmly planted in cheek. This is not bulletin board material. That said, I am also looking forward to another dominating performance by last week's Lion slayers. Go Bucks!
baller

Cedar Rapids, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Judged:

I don't think we can get too overconfident on this game. Our defense might keep Iowa out of the end zone but Iowa's defense and special teams could shut out the Bucks just the same, and Iowa's defense and special teams have scored points for them all year. I wouldn't underestimate that backup QB of their's either, kid rewrote Iowa's history books in high school and has a week to prepare this time. Turnovers will be key for both sides.
PhillyBuck

Malvern, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

Bucknaked wrote:
You are right we cant get overconfident but - our offense was "average at best"??

Ran for 228 yards against a D giving up 84 ypg (5th nationally)

We scored 24 points against a D giving up 9.3 ppg (1st nationally)

I don't care if they hadn't beaten anyone of consequence - those are pretty good numbers and they include Iowa's numbers too

Were we great on offense? No. And given our D, most of the time we won't need to be.

But "average at best"?? How bout we get some qualified fans instead?
GENO

Lima, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

VERY WELL PUT YOU MIGHT SAY. IT WAS FUN WHILE IT LASTED. BOTH TEAMS PROBABLY WILL MATCH UP ON DEFENCE BUT OHIO STATE HAS THE MOMEMTUM GOING FOR THEM AND OFCOURSE THAT THING CALLED " HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE.
BUCKEYE-HATER

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2009

As much as I hate Buckeye nation simply theres to much talent on the scarlet and grey to lose this one. There wont be a let down when theres so much riding on the line. But as I always say your bcs bowl game will determine your season.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Corey Wootton Discussions

Search the Corey Wootton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Jared Allen signed by Chicago Bears after Vikin... Mar 27 Spielman 6
Bears Receive Permission to Interview Seattle O... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Magnum Man 3
Urlacher says again he'd lie about concussion (Nov '12) Nov '12 Bear Feces 2
Preseason Game Review: How good was Chicago Bea... (Aug '12) Aug '12 zorrosrath 1
NFL Roster Cuts 2011: 8 Chicago Bears Who Are H... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Laughing Bear Fan 2
Biggs: 10 thoughts on the Bears' loss to Giants (Aug '11) Aug '11 10farts 2
Favre listed as doubtful for Eagles game with c... (Dec '10) Dec '10 Laughing Bear Fan 4
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••